Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boone County 28 Dixie Heights 21
Final.
Rebels needed to win this by more to feel that they were ready for the playoffs. St. X in the 1st round, eeekkkk
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...310300167/

Boone County kept the ball in the hands of its running backs for 57 of their 60 offensive plays on Friday night, but it was one of those three plays through the air that would end up deciding the game.

With just 1:11 remaining and the score tied at 21-21, Rebel quarterback Nate Alford hit junior running back Jordan Oppenheimer on a 10-yard out, a steamrolled Dixie defender and 55 yards later Boone County grabbed a 28-21 lead and eventual upset victory over Dixie Heights.

• Photos: Rebels 28, Colonels 21

"Admittedly, we’ve struggled to move the ball through the air this year,” Boone County head coach Rick Thompson said. “We even had been practicing two quarterbacks this week and were ready to make the switch if we needed to. But Nate did a great job of taking care of the ball and made a play when we needed him.”

According to Oppenheimer the success of Boone running back Charles Quainoo had as much to do with the game-deciding play as did he.

“Charles is one of the top backs in the state and other defenses are always going to be keying on him,” Oppenheimer said. “Even in that situation they are going to be looking at Charles to make the play. I came open and caught the ball and hoped nobody would catch me.”

Dixie had good reason to be thinking of Quainoo, as the senior rusher gashed the Colonel defense for 270 yards on 40 carries. It was the seventh straight loss for Dixie at the hands of Boone County and the second consecutive heartbreaking loss for the Colonels.

“Right now we’re just not playing very good football,” Dixie head coach Tom Spritzky said. “We couldn’t stop anybody tonight and we can’t turn the ball over like we did tonight.”

The Colonels twice mounted long drives to get inside of their own 20-yard line, only to fumble the ball giving Boone possession. The second fumble came with just 2:08 remaining and led to the game-winning play for the Rebels
Boone 7 7 0 14--28
Dixie 6 0 15 0--21

B—Oppenheimer 1 run (Palmateer kick)
D—Wilson 4 run (kick failed)
B—Quainoo 15 run (Palmateer kick)
D—Bruns 16 run (Wilson run)
D—Wilson 11 run (Bronner kick)
B—Quainoo 50 run (Palmateer kick)
B—Oppenheimer 65 pass from Alford (Palmateer kick)

Records: B 4-6, D 4-6.

Kentucky.com
Totally agree about next week Stardust. St. X will SMASH Boone County.

I'm surprised that Dixie is 4-6. They beat the crap out of Beechwood earlier this year and everyone raved about how talented this team was due the amount of experience they got from all the underclassmen playing last year. I thought they would've beat Cov. Cath, but they got jobbed by the ref's on a quick screen that went for a touchdown. I believe the ref's got them for a sideline infratction. That may be the first time I've ever seen a team get flagged for it and that cost them the game. Games don't come down to one play, but momentum sure does and this was a momentum swing that was absolutly robbed from Dixie. Good luck in the playoffs this year.
Nice win Boone!
Rob Van Winkle Wrote:Totally agree about next week Stardust. St. X will SMASH Boone County.

I'm surprised that Dixie is 4-6. They beat the crap out of Beechwood earlier this year and everyone raved about how talented this team was due the amount of experience they got from all the underclassmen playing last year. I thought they would've beat Cov. Cath, but they got jobbed by the ref's on a quick screen that went for a touchdown. I believe the ref's got them for a sideline infratction. That may be the first time I've ever seen a team get flagged for it and that cost them the game. Games don't come down to one play, but momentum sure does and this was a momentum swing that was absolutly robbed from Dixie. Good luck in the playoffs this year.

AWESOME Quote. So very true.
Nice win win boone! good luck against St. X, I would love to see an upset for the team, but i don't see it happening.