Poll: Who Wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shelby Valley
26.00%
Prestonsburg
74.00%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley @ Prestonsburg 10/23 - Broadcast on 103.1 WPKE www.wpke.com
Rain in the forecast, so please no firetruck rumors on Friday night. The P-burg field is reported to be a mess now so it will be decidely worse come Friday. Mud would typically favor a running team, but a team that is accustom to turf may not gain any advantage.
I see P-burg coming out and taking care of business.
P-burg 42
Valley 24
Prestonsburg is an all-round amzing team they can throw and run the ball they are a threat to Shelby Valley it will be an amazing game and one of the toughest games for both the Wildcats and Blackcats but im saying the final score will be

Prestonsburg - 34
Shelby Valley - 21
If the feild is going to be a mess then I'll say

pburg- 36
Valley-15
Prestonsburg 36
Shelby Valley 8
I'm gonna go with the Blackcats in this one. Burchett will have another great game, expect good games from Jamerson, MicKinney, Craynon, and Griffith.

Pburg remains undefeated, 35-12
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
I would love to see SV win, but playing a P- burg will make it tough to win

p-burg 28
sv 21
NYY10 Wrote:If the feild is going to be a mess then I'll say

pburg- 36
Valley-15

I think the score will be closer than that if the field is a mess. If the field is clean (which it isn't supposed to be), Prestonsburg wins by four touchdowns. Since the field is supposed to be muddy, I'll take the Blackcats by 1-2 touchdowns.
Pburg by 2-3 TD'S
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:I think the score will be closer than that if the field is a mess. If the field is clean (which it isn't supposed to be), Prestonsburg wins by four touchdowns. Since the field is supposed to be muddy, I'll take the Blackcats by 1-2 touchdowns.
I must be missing something here I thought P-burg had Turf. So hows it going to be muddy. Or is this some kind of inside Joke?
Dawg Family Wrote:I must be missing something here I thought P-burg had Turf. So hows it going to be muddy. Or is this some kind of inside Joke?

Pburg has grass in some spots and probably some leftover mud. It is a really good field at the first of the year, but just like most other grass fields, it gets pretty worn by this time of year.
Weather forecast says rain Friday Night. Has P-Burg played in the rain this season and did it affect their passing game at all?
Prestonsburg!
**Send me a pm if you have any questions or comments**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5timechamp Wrote:Weather forecast says rain Friday Night. Has P-Burg played in the rain this season and did it affect their passing game at all?

They played in rain, but on turf, against SC, and Burchett threw the ball pretty well all night.
5timechamp Wrote:Weather forecast says rain Friday Night. Has P-Burg played in the rain this season and did it affect their passing game at all?

They played in a very rainy game at Sheldon Clark. Michael Burchett was still right on the money with his throws, but there were not quite as many passing attempts as normal. Burchett rushed for one (maybe two..I'm not sure) touchdowns in that game. McKinney and Craynon done a nice job on the ground against the Sheldon Clark defense.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:They played in a very rainy game at Sheldon Clark. Michael Burchett was still right on the money with his throws, but there were not quite as many passing attempts as normal. Burchett rushed for one (maybe two..I'm not sure) touchdowns in that game. McKinney and Craynon done a nice job on the ground against the Sheldon Clark defense.
:Thumbs:
p-burg by 4 td's
Prestonsburg played in mud versus Morgan County and Burchett went 7-7 on his pass attempts. But then again it was against Morgan County.
bucslover68 Wrote:Pburg has grass in some spots and probably some leftover mud. It is a really good field at the first of the year, but just like most other grass fields, it gets pretty worn by this time of year.
Thanks for the info I thought they had Turf for some reason. Don't no were I got that from. Shows what I know :ChairHit:
lets get realistic here..prestonsburg rolls, 56 - 7
Thanks for the info guys. I want SV to win badly but my head tells me it is a very bad matchup for SV's secondary. This is a big test for SV's new coach not that he has to win but has he come up with a good defensive game plan or any new wrinkles on D. We will know soon enough.
bucslover68 Wrote:They played in rain, but on turf, against SC, and Burchett threw the ball pretty well all night.

Yeah, but the receivers dropped quite a few of those "pretty well" thrown balls.

If it's sloppy, the jet series (wide running) will be hurt more than the passing.

The player to look to stand out for P-burg (in the mud) is Craynon. If the Perry Central QB's performance in the mud during last year's game is any indication, his small size (155 lbs. !!) will give him an advantage on a slick field.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Okay, here is how Shelby Valley can win.

- The running game needs to be superb and almost flawless. B.J. Roberts and Dillion Hughes really have to be the one-two punch that they have shown that they can be. Both have to hold onto the ball, see the gaps, and block for the other when necessary.

- The offensive line has to hold their blocks. So far this season, they have done a good job with that. Problem is, this is going to be the fastest defense will see possibly all year. They can't let players like Griffith and McKinney get in the backfield. From what I've seen on TV, the Wildcats line is big enough and have done a nice job most of the season at this. If Roberts and Hughes can't even get out of the backfield the majority of the time, then the Wildcats will be in for a long, long night.

- Cody Varney has got to keep cool under pressure. The reason I say that is because Prestonsburg will put intense pressure on him, there's no doubt about that. Varney can't be turning the ball over (I don't even think SV can afford one turnover to win this one). I don't think SV's O-Line will be able to keep Griffith, McKinney, Max Turner, and Cameron Tincher out of the backfield. I understand Varney is best when he is on the move. This means that Varney is going to have to make good decisions all night for the Wildcats to have any kind of chance at stealing this one.

- The SV secondary have to stay on the Blackcat receivers. Michael Burchett will probably thread the needle most of the time and will be putting the ball right on the money as usual. That's a given. If I were SV, I would accept that and just do my best to stay with the receivers. Try some man coverage, zone coverage, just whatever works best. Jamerson, Craynon, Blackburn, Hall, and McKinney will be tough to cover is the other problem. No one has been able to do it all season.

- Last, SV has to understand they are playing on the road and understand how fired up Prestonsburg will be after the scare the Wildcats gave them last year. The Blackcats will not be taking them lightly in any way, they will actually be more than ready. SV needs to understand that this Blackcat team isn't overlooking them like some on this thread are. Coach DeRossett will have his troops ready and SV, I'm sure, already knows this.

I really expect a good game overall, but unless Shelby Valley does all of these things, I just don't see how they can win the game. Especially it being at Josh Francis Field. There are just many things going the Blackcats way right now for Shelby Valley to come in and steal it all away.

Good post. I agree with the bolded part, I think some P-Burg fans on here are overlooking SV way more than the players are. Shelby Valley is not as talented as Prestonsburg, I don't think that point is in question. But they are talented enough to win if the Blackcats have an off-game.

I bet the P-Burg players aren't looking at this as a game they expect to win by 5 touchdowns, like many on here have predicted.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
oneijoe Wrote:I'm as solid a Blackcat fan as you'll find and even I think you're laying it on a little thick. Comparisons to the '93 (or even '01 or '03) team(s) are completely out of place at this point in time.

All it takes for the Wildcats to be in the driver's seat in this one is one solid scoring drive to go along with one defensive stop (or P-burg TO) at the beginning of the game. If Shelby Valley can get a lead, its offense is ideally suited to protect it.

It'll take a number of things to go right for the Wildcats to win, but I've seen far crazier things happen.

Prestonsburg should approach this (and next) game in a workmanlike manner. Learn the assignments, execute the gameplan, and move on.

Another good post from a P-Burg fan.

I like most everyone else, think that all else being equal, the Blackcats should win this game by 2-3 touchdowns. Honestly, the only chance I think for SV to win is if P-Burg coughs up at least a couple turnovers, whereas the Wildcats really can't have any.

But then again, the weather is calling for heavy rain Friday night, which would seem to lend itself to turnovers. If SV wins the turnover battle, this one could be close. Conversely, if Valley is the team coughing up the ball, we could see a 30 point blowout by the Blackcats.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Something that hasn't been mentioned in the thread yet...

How hard is the flu hitting P-burg and/or Shelby Valley ?

I know Paintsville had more than 100 students out (out of ~260) and have cancelled school tomorrow due to it.
Prestonsburg was bad about a week ago, but the numbers are improved this week.
Not sure on Valley ?
A muddy field will lesson the impact of the mud hole P'Burg will make of SV..
P'Burg by as many as they want...
Pburg big time on senior night! 42-7 HAIL BLACKCATS! Blackout Valley! District Champs 3 in a row!
Good Luck Valley!!!
dfblackcat53 Wrote:lets get realistic here..prestonsburg rolls, 56 - 7

Okay, this is rediculous. Are you saying this year's P-Burg team is THAT much better than last year's? Please recall the Blackcats won on a last second AMAZING catch in the endzone last October, and we return almost all of our starters as well. I agree P-Burg is to be favored in this game, but I can't imagine this game would EVER be that big of a blowout.....
GAMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEE DAYYYYYYYY

I can just feel it coming, Valley is gonna win.

BJ Roberts rushes for 190 yards 2tds, and a KO return for tds.
Micheal Burchett throw for 245 2tds and 2ints.
Bartly has only missed one PAT for SV, and special teams will be the diffrence maker

SV 28
Pburg 25
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next