Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Determines Where a Playoff Game is Played?
This discussion has come up in recent Boyle threads and I wanted to give it a thread here for discussion.

The issue is being debated by Boyle that they might host some playoff games at nearby Centre College. They have new field turf at Centre and it will hold up whereas Boyle's current field is in very bad shape after three sloppy games played upon it.

When the discussion was bantered about on another site, someone raised the issue that "both teams have to agree to any change of sight or venue for it to happen."

We discussed that issue but no real section was cited for this conviction.

Jack Lambert
cited this in the Boyle/East Jessamine Thread:

there is a section on the KHSAA website that was entitled: "Instructions and clarifications - arrangements - football playoff games, etc."

I'm told that line 1 states the principal of the host school shall serve as, or shall appoint a manager for each playoff contest. The Home manager will set the site for the game.

Line 8 states that the site of all games during the first 4 rounds in all classes shall be determined by the designated home team.

If this is the interpretation, then it seems that there is NO agreement required between the two schools. The decision is entirely up to the host school.

Is this true in anyone else's research or knowledgable opinion? Anyone with any other insight on this? How does this "feel" for some on here? Should the Home Team have absolute say in this? How far should it go? What if the Home Team's field is in horrific shape (through nature or "man made" incidents) do visiting teams get to say "no, we won't play there" or is that the "home field advantage?"
Is it just me or do I sense some kind of conspiracy theory being stirred up?

Does Boyle County have some kind of nefarious plan to seek an unfair advantage in the playoffs by switching their home field advantage from grass to turf?

Anyone who has seen the condition of the field at Rebel Stadium knows that it is in horrible condition. It's a disaster waiting to happen. It looks like a herd of cattle has been grazing there for the past month.

I tried to go to the KHSAA web site to see the rule for myself but I developed a massive headache and decided to just go with Jack Lambert's research as the gospel.

I hope that the games are moved to Centre if for no other reason than to increase the odds of the young men playing to come out of the games uninjured.
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:Is it just me or do I sense some kind of conspiracy theory being stirred up?

Does Boyle County have some kind of nefarious plan to seek an unfair advantage in the playoffs by switching their home field advantage from grass to turf?

Anyone who has seen the condition of the field at Rebel Stadium knows that it is in horrible condition. It's a disaster waiting to happen. It looks like a herd of cattle has been grazing there for the past month.

I tried to go to the KHSAA web site to see the rule for myself but I developed a massive headache and decided to just go with Jack Lambert's research as the gospel.

I hope that the games are moved to Centre if for no other reason than to increase the odds of the young men playing to come out of the games uninjured.

:Thumbs:

That is my hope as well. I just found it interesting that some fans on another place (:biggrinSmile immediately jumped to some conclusions that the Visiting Team had a say in the moving of the site. Whereas both teams have to agree on the "date" there seems to be no rule stating that the visting team has a say on the "site."

I think it would help whichever team that won at Centre (Boyle or whoever Boyle loses to) to get out without injury and showcase their best skills on the field. I also found the "visitor" input a little odd when I considered all the fields I had visited in playoffs past where more than once the Visiting Coach wished he could move the game to a legitimate football field. :Thumbs:
From the KHSAA site for the 2008 playoffs. Would assume they would apply to 2009 as well (couldn't find anything on 2009 playoffs on the site). Looks from this that the home team has the say on the site.

The Principal of the host school shall serve as, or shall appoint, a manager for each playoff contest. The home
manager will set the site for the game.
A complete bracket of your Class is constantly updated on the KHSAA web site http://www.khsaa.org/football. Go to
that web site and go to the bracket link throughout the playoffs.
Playoff competition will begin on the Thursday, Friday or Saturday two weeks prior to Thanksgiving Day (November
13, 14 or 15, 2008).
All playoff contests shall be held on Friday unless there exists a mutual agreement between the schools to hold the
game on another day due to field conditions or availability, availability of officials, or in the mutual best interests of
the competing teams.
The game time shall be 7:30 p.m. local time unless the schools have a mutual agreement to play at another time.
The top four teams as determined by intra-district records after all tie breakers have been applied will qualify for the
championship playoffs. The finishing position within the Region shall hereinafter be referred to as the “seeded
position”.
No playoff game shall be scheduled or played on a date or time that requires a loss of school time.
The site of all games during the first four rounds in all classes shall be determined by the designated home team.
The game manager shall notify the KHSAA of the site, date and time of the game not later than 10 a.m. Monday prior
to the game.

Also, found this little section on what both teams have to agree upon. Nowhere does it say anything about the site.

BOTH TEAMS
Review the KHSAA Tournament Rules for football in the tournament rules section of the KHSAA Handbook, or in this
manual. Be familiar with these rules to eliminate disputes.
Confirm game, date and time. NOTE: All games are on Friday night unless by mutual agreement.
Discuss and agree on the following items.
Starting Date and Time;
Admission charges;
Allowable expenses. All expenses must be agreed by the two schools PRIOR to the game or they will not be allowed;
Allocation of reserved tickets;
Special Media Accommodations such as radio and television.
Have a great game!
I would think from readig above that the home team has say over where it is played,but if the new venue has any effect on the split of the gates (ie. rental expense, concesson sells, etc), it is the duty of both schools to determine the ticket price level to account for this.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I would think from readig above that the home team has say over where it is played,but if the new venue has any effect on the split of the gates (ie. rental expense, concesson sells, etc), it is the duty of both schools to determine the ticket price level to account for this.

Not if it doesn't spell it out. :Thumbs:
Back in Black, think you for your research. :thanks:
Is Boyle Co considering getting turf for there field?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:Is Boyle Co considering getting turf for there field?

I heard that they were, but I don't know anything concrete.
When a team of young players make it that far in the playoffs....I think it is courteous and very sensible to move a game to a better facility when and if one is available. Why would any parent/administrator want their children playing in inches of mud or any other type of surface that can not help but be affected by the seasonal weather when the best of fields are available. Injuries can occur at anytime on any type of field but the chances of both teams coming out with good health is definitely better on a nice playing surface. This has nothing to do with rules of KHSAA.....just thought that it would be kind of silly to think of this situation as a conspiracy. Just one person's opinion.:popcorn:
Hatz Wrote:Not if it doesn't spell it out. :Thumbs:

Quote:BOTH TEAMS
Review the KHSAA Tournament Rules for football in the tournament rules section of the KHSAA Handbook, or in this
manual. Be familiar with these rules to eliminate disputes.
Confirm game, date and time. NOTE: All games are on Friday night unless by mutual agreement.
Discuss and agree on the following items.
Starting Date and Time;
Admission charges;
Allowable expenses. All expenses must be agreed by the two schools PRIOR to the game or they will not be allowed;
Allocation of reserved tickets;
Special Media Accommodations such as radio and television.
Have a great game!

This is what I was referring to, but it mentions nothing about both agreeing on a site so I say your original point is correct.
sounds about right-looks good to me
EKUAlum05 Wrote:This is what I was referring to, but it mentions nothing about both agreeing on a site so I say your original point is correct.

Thanks for the research. :Thumbs: Although it doesn't mention concessions it does clearly mention admission.
Hopefully by next year, this will all be a thing of the past. Id heard a few tales, but dont want to get my hopes up. That field really looks bad. Its a shame. I am gonna start working on flags this week, neon yellow will hopefully be a thing of the past!:Cheerlead Go Rebels!