Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Backfield in the Mountains
I'm not sure if this is a thread or not already (if it is, I apologize), but I would like to know what everyone thinks. Which team has the best backfield in the Mountains?

I have ranked mine like this:

1. Bell County - Bell County has probably the quickest running back in the Mountains in Corey Davenport. Davenport, Matt Raines, and John Dudley Hilton have put up some big numbers this season so far. No one (except a nationally ranked Alcoa team) has been able to stop this rushing attack. That's why I have them at the number one spot.

2. Belfry - The Pirates probably have the best and most versatile running back in the Mountains in Thomas Varney. Varney and company have had quite the success this year on the ground as most Phillip Haywood coached teams do.

3. Prestonsburg - The Blackcats have two explosive weapons at tailback in Josh Craynon and Austin McKinney. Neither put up amazing numbers, but both get the job done consistently and are a big key to Prestonsburg's success.

4. Shelby Valley - This spot may be a little underrated for the numbers that this backfield has put up (especially in the Bath County game), but this is where I have them for now. B.J. Roberts and Dillion Hughes have been fantastic so far. Cody Varney has been good on the ground as well when he runs it. Lawrence County contained them pretty well and that's why I have them at the number 4 spot for now.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I'm not sure if this is a thread or not already (if it is, I apologize), but I would like to know what everyone thinks. Which team has the best backfield in the Mountains?

1. Bell County - Bell County has probably the quickest running back in the Mountains in Corey Davenport. Davenport, Matt Raines, and John Dudley Hilton have put up some big numbers this season so far. No one (except a nationally ranked Alcoa team) has been able to stop this rushing attack. That's why I have them at the number one spot.

2. Belfry - The Pirates probably have the best and most versatile running back in the Mountains in Thomas Varney. Varney and company have had quite the success this year on the ground as most Phillip Haywood coached teams do.

3. Prestonsburg - The Blackcats have two explosive weapons at tailback in Josh Craynon and Austin McKinney. Neither put up amazing numbers, but both get the job done consistently and are a big key to Prestonsburg's success.

4. Shelby Valley - This spot may be a little underrated for the numbers that this backfield has put up (especially in the Bath County game), but this is where I have them for now. B.J. Roberts and Dillion Hughes have been fantastic so far. Cody Varney has been good on the ground as well when he runs it. Lawrence County contained them pretty well and that's why I have them at the number 4 spot for now.

How can you have SV backfield ranked over LC's, when LC racked up huge yardage on them and LC practically shut them down???:please:
DAWGS_00 Wrote:How can you have SV backfield ranked over LC's, when LC racked up huge yardage on them and LC practically shut them down???:please:

Well, for starters I ranked Shelby Valley over Lawrence County because of the production they have put up this season. I believe they have more yards per game than anyone in the Mountains on the ground, I could be mistaken, but I believe that is indeed true. I would have ranked them higher, but the thumping LC put on Valley is what knocked them down to number four. LC would have been my second choice behind Prestonsburg, but you can't deny the number of yards that the Valley backfield has piled up this season so far. Things may/probably will change as the last half of the season unfolds, but that is my top 4 for now.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Well, for starters I ranked Shelby Valley over Lawrence County because of the production they have put up this season. I believe they have more yards per game than anyone in the Mountains on the ground, I could be mistaken, but I believe that is indeed true. I would have ranked them higher, but the thumping LC put on Valley is what knocked them down to number four. LC would have been my second choice behind Prestonsburg, but you can't deny the number of yards that the Valley backfield has piled up this season so far. Things may/probably will change as the last half of the season unfolds, but that is my top 4 for now.

:Thumbs:
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I'm not sure if this is a thread or not already (if it is, I apologize), but I would like to know what everyone thinks. Which team has the best backfield in the Mountains?

1. [B]Bell County - Bell County has probably the quickest running back in the Mountains in Corey Davenport. Davenport, Matt Raines, and John Dudley Hilton have put up some big numbers this season so far. No one (except a nationally ranked Alcoa team) has been able to stop this rushing attack. That's why I have them at the number one spot.
[/B]

Dont forget Carton #5 for bell. they are loaded!
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:Dont forget Carton #5 for bell. they are loaded!

Knew I forgot someone. The Bobcats have the deepest backfield in the Mountains, another reason why I have them at number one. The other three spots may change, but Bell's backfield will remain number one.
:Thumbs:
I say corbin has one of the best backfields in the mountains.
bac2369 Wrote:I say corbin has one of the best backfields in the mountains.

Yea Caleb Watkins is tough.
Bell County Bobcats we thrive on speed speed and more speed and on defense speed too
Well Lawrence should be ahead of P-Burg they have out rushed them by about 700 plus yards.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
1. Bell County
2. Belfry
3. Corbin
4. Lawrence County
5. Shelby Valley
Like the stats by Valley, but they have not played ANYONE noteworthy except for Lawrence Co. and we all know how that turned out. I won't deny that they have some talented backs, but until they do it against top competition i wont say that they are top 5.
Bell has the best backfield by far in the mountains......:1:
If we're going with best all around back field it would be...
Bell
Lawrence
Shelby
Belfry
Corbin
Bell county is deeep with backs as is LC with 6 Pack, James, Bentley, West, and Moore. But if you wanted to go with the best back, IMO, it would be Varney from Belfry!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:1. Bell County
2. Belfry
3. Corbin
4. Lawrence County
5. Shelby Valley

:Thumbs: I think corbin has to be in the top 5 in best backfields in the mountains. Caleb Watkins, Matthew Taylor, Brady Foley, and Ryan Fritts who is looking like he is getting closer to 100% and running harder each week.
Fugate;Haddix;Trent at Breathitt.
Outdoorsman, I think Bell Co had 250 yards rushing on Alcoa. Wonder if thats the most rushed on them this year. Maybe a Alcoa fan can help us out.
Outdoorsman, dont forget about #22 Taylor Mills. Bell Co has Davenport, Hilton, Raines, Mills, Carton, and freshman Ryan Collett.

Collett has touched the ball twice in varsity play this year and has scored on both attempts. A 50 yard TD run against Whitley Co's Varsity D, and a 36 yarder against Rockcastle Co Varsity D. The kid should start seeing more carries if he performs like this.
What type of run oriented offenses do these teams run; Lawrence, Bell, Corbin, SV...
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Outdoorsman, I think Bell Co had 250 yards rushing on Alcoa. Wonder if thats the most rushed on them this year. Maybe a Alcoa fan can help us out.

I think you are correct BellCoBobcats09. From Alcoa
I should've done a little more research before creating this thread. After doing a little homework and realizing that I completely forgot about Corbin, here is my top 6.

1. Bell County
2. Corbin
3. Belfry
4. Shelby Valley
5. Lawrence County
6. Prestonsburg
I was going to say ODM43, you know better than to leave Corbin out. I also was going to tell you that there is no way that Prestonsburg is in the top 3 above Lawrence County. Glad to see you've cleaned that first ranking system up though. :biggrin:

Bell County is hands down the best though. You all are correct about that. Raines, Davenport, Carton, Hilton, and Mills - they just can't be contained by any Mountain team. They just keep coming at you.

Corbin always has a dominate running attack and it's not different this year with Watkins, Foley, and Fritts. They are an easy choice for number two.

How about Thomas Varney of Belfry? I seen him play at P'burg and I was so impressed by him. He is a do-it-all guy and has my vote for best in the Mountains. How underrated is this guy? He should get some statewide recognition if he doesn't already. Don't mean to jump off-subject with this question, but are there any D1 schools looking at Varney? That question is probably answered in another thread, but if it is I haven't seen it.
Why do we exclude QB's from the backfield? I think including QB's, Prestonsburg definitely has a top 5 backfield. Maybe we should re-name this thread, "Best Rushing Offense in the Mountains"
OldTymer Wrote:Why do we exclude QB's from the backfield? I think including QB's, Prestonsburg definitely has a top 5 backfield. Maybe we should re-name this thread, "Best Rushing Offense in the Mountains"
guess u could include qbs
#33 for Paintsville has been overlooked because of his team
What about Haddix, Trent and Fugate at Breathitt? Sure they struggled some with a hard schedule at the beginning of the season, but Fugate is easily the best overall back in the mountains. Haddix is also one of the state's top 50 players. Breathitt will make some believers come playoff time.
Fugate is a nice player. But not easily the best overall back in the mountains. Just because Lane Kiffin has a crush on him doesn't instantly elevate him to the top. Davenport is terrific, Pack is a basher and Varney might be the finest player in east Kentucky right now.

Also, any "rating" that has the Shelby Valley backfield ahead of Lawrence County's is just silly. There's no polite way to say it. 49-14 and a flat out gashing by LC speaks for itself.
Clark Rowe from Rackcastle County now has 1476 Rushing yards and 17 rushing TD's on the Season. He is just a Sophomore.
LCC has a nice backfield with Dustin Brown, Greg Collins, and Jesse Rose. They also have a young sophmore named Drew Bentley who has tremendous speed and will be the back of the future for LCC.