Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland 28 Russell 7
ryanparker Wrote:They could have made the statement had they kept giving the ball to Alber. The rest of the offense doesn't live up to what he brings to the table.

agreed that seem pass down the middle of the field never works and running a reverse on the three yard line for the first 2 point try i do not understand why albers didnt get the ball unless coaches didnt want to show lutz to much but with four weeks of tape what could we be saving for the tigers?
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:agreed that seem pass down the middle of the field never works and running a reverse on the three yard line for the first 2 point try i do not understand why albers didnt get the ball unless coaches didnt want to show lutz to much but with four weeks of tape what could we be saving for the tigers?

I just figured they were treating the game as a glorified practice and wanting to work on different plays or something. If they really wanted to make a statement against Russell, then they would have just kept giving the ball to him. If they had, I have no doubt we would have seen a giant picture of Alber on the front page of the Daily Independent sports section tomorrow celebrating his record setting performance.
The reason Alber doesn't get it every play and why they do the other things is because they set each other up. Ashland kept Russell spread out and made them account for the passes and the reverses and all of the misdirection. Because of all of that they can get Alber going one on one with defenders up the middle of the field. If they didn't do that other stuff everyone would just key on Alber. Now Alber is good but there is no such thing as a one man team. That is what Ashland does very well. They do play as a team.
By the way. Ironton beat Gallipolis 39-6.
agreed fball but just some questionable playcalling i think like a reverse pass with no deep receiver i dont understand risking a big loss to gain eight yards just line up and play football
For Russell players that may read this crap on here and Russell fans that think the sky is falling. Don't hang your heads. Russell lost to two really good teams the last couple of weeks. You won't see anyone else like that for a while. I look for Russell to rebound next week and still finish the regular season with 7 wins. They are not a bad team but there are alot of things that need work. Its an inexperienced team for the most part that should use the losses to Ironton and Ashland as something to learn from.
wonder where badcat is tonight?
ryanparker Wrote:2 things:

1) Russell's offense had nothing for Ashland's defense all night long. There are more Ashland players at the point of the play than Russell players. It's like they know what's coming.

2) Josh Alber. (although Ashland inexplicably goes away from him all too often -he could have had 300+ yds tonight if they would have kept giving him the ball)

***1) It is no suprise to any team in this area what Russell is going to run. They have run this same plays for the past 40 years now. It just a matter of the opposing team stopping those select few plays.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:agreed fball but just some questionable playcalling i think like a reverse pass with no deep receiver i dont understand risking a big loss to gain eight yards just line up and play football

Its no more questionable than Russell running a pitch sweep on 3rd and less than a yard when Ashlands defense was just swarming into the backfield. Personally I think power straight ahead plays work much better against the kind of speed and pressure defense that Ashland plays. Lets just accept the fact that every play called is not perfect and it is still fairly early in the season and these teams are still learning.

But if the safety doesn't cover that reciever on the reverse pass, that 8 yard throw goes for a long TD.
True, Russell could use some updates on their playbook, Russell looked like they could be pretty strong, ashland was just to quick to snub them any type of running play to get a look, I think russell will be just fine the rest of the season
Elm street Wrote:wonder where badcat is tonight?
I'm sure he will be on sooner or later. He is probably trying to think of something profound to say. Which means it may be a while.
Also, why doesn't Ashland have a kicker? They always have one of the better soccer teams in our area and they are the biggest school in our area. Surely they can find somebody who wants to kick extra points?
Ryan thats a scary problem all us fans are worried about. Surely we have somebody that wants to kick. I was at the game with badcat, He'll make face I am sure
ryanparker Wrote:Also, why doesn't Ashland have a kicker? They always have one of the better soccer teams in our area and they are the biggest school in our area. Surely they can find somebody who wants to kick extra points?

They had one. Alber ate him.:biggrin:
FBALL Wrote:That was not the starters in the game that scored. But you are right. that Russell's only score came in the final seconds with the subs in the game. Russell could not move the ball at all against Ashland's defense.

As for next year we will have to wait and see how that one turns out then.

i thought sure that was dehoff who threw that td pass?
Elm street Wrote:Ryan thats a scary problem all us fans are worried about. Surely we have somebody that wants to kick. I was at the game with badcat, He'll make face I am sure
I see you don't care who you hang out with. I'm friends with him but I didn't think there was anyone else out there that would admit it.
I did too badcat, But all the russell fans deny it.
FBALL Wrote:They had one. Alber ate him.:biggrin:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BADCAT74 Wrote:i thought sure that was dehoff who threw that td pass?
Hello Jenny.

Nope that was Sparks #11.
FBALL Wrote:I see you don't care who you hang out with. I'm friends with him but I didn't think there was anyone else out there that would admit it.
He's a pretty good feller. lol
no suprise here...Ashland has good shot at 9 win season
BADCAT74 Wrote:i thought sure that was dehoff who threw that td pass?

Come on...FBall said you were thinking of something profound to say after this game...and this is what you come up with??? :biggrin:

It was Sparks who threw the TD pass. I think it was Russell's only completion all night.
I Think Russell will win out there scheduel except for mason, an have the season Russell fans are used to. Good luck the rest of the way evils!

Way to go Tomcats, definetly need to work on that long ball. I question what ever happened to Ashlands bread an butter quick slant pass that used to money! With the receivers we have we Should throw that short
pass alot more!!!
hey badcat, russell had 15 yards going into the 4th quarter
ryanparker Wrote:Come on...FBall said you were thinking of something profound to say after this game...and this is what you come up with??? :biggrin:

It was Sparks who threw the TD pass. I think it was Russell's only completion all night.

Profound, yea that was Not what I was going to say on my first post but I read the comment by elm street, and I thought the same thing that was the senior right? My bad.
Elm street Wrote:hey badcat, russell had 15 yards going into the 4th quarter

Wow!! That's impressive! That d is smothering. Looks like Ashland has 2or3 extra players on the field.
Ashland has a fine team... but any team East of I-75 better pack a lunch before playing Ironton.
FBALL Wrote:I think it was Sparks to Taylor on the TD.

I thought it was # 15
ryanparker Wrote:They could have made the statement had they kept giving the ball to Alber. The rest of the offense doesn't live up to what he brings to the table.

They didn't even give demartino a carry that I can remember. Trey Rogers is really stepped up nice tandem. Hart said when they got up 22-0 he started trying that deep ball an looked like he was committed to making it go an it just wasn't going to happen.
BADCAT74 Wrote:They didn't even give demartino a carry that I can remember. Trey Rogers is really stepped up nice tandem. Hart said when they got up 22-0 he started trying that deep ball an looked like he was committed to making it go an it just wasn't going to happen.

They were committed to trying everything but Alber, particularly after they got up by 22. They are going to need more than just him against Ironton, though, so I guess I can understand them trying to develop something else through the air. Like you said, too, though, maybe the short passing game would be better than the long ones. Ironton will probably have a decent pass rush.