Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Game You've Ever Seen?
October 8, 2004.
Belfry 20, Prestonsburg 14, OT

The second of the magic seasons brought rival Prestonsburg to Vipperman Stadium. This game was tight throughout, when Doug Howard (correct me if I'm wrong) broke through in overtime to win the game for Belfry.
pagan Wrote:russell belfry 05'
boyd co. greenup co. playoff game 07'
st. x trinity title game 05'
ashland johnson cent. 05'

field goal what field goal did somebody kick a field goal in this Game?
I saw a lot of good games over the years. Some that i can remember off the top of my head, 95 Mayfield (28) vs Beechwood (27) (title) 95 Breathitt Co (42) vs Franklin-Simpson (35) 2OT(title game) 96 Breathitt Co (25) Vs Fort Knox (21) (title game) 06 Hazard (15) vs Pikeville (14) (reg). I almost forget about that 98 or 99 Sheldon Clark (16) vs Belfry (15) (reg). Here just to name a few, there is alot more. But these are the ones i can think of right now...
BelfryPirates Wrote:October 8, 2004.
Belfry 20, Prestonsburg 14, OT

The second of the magic seasons brought rival Prestonsburg to Vipperman Stadium. This game was tight throughout, when Doug Howard (correct me if I'm wrong) broke through in overtime to win the game for Belfry.

Yeah i forgot about this game, the atmosphere was like nothing I had ever seen at a high school football game in eastern kentucky, off the top of my head I cannot remember the exact attendance but there were app. 7-9,000 people in a 5,000 seat stadium and the game matched the atmosphere.
Game had to be played at EKU's Roy Kidd Stadium because of field conditions at Madison Central.
Scott County raced out to 21 point first half lead. Madison Central responded after halftime and came back to get within 45-41. Actually recovered onside kick and had the ball with less than a minute to play near midfield but could not finish the comeback.
Scott County was lead by Ted Sberna and Percy Hargrove, also had a very nice Wide Reciever. Madison Central had Ryan Barnes who would go on to play at Harvard on scholarship, Paul Warford who would go on to play for University of Kentucky scholarship, Michael Williams OL who walked on at UK. Lots of very good football players in this game and a heck of an atmosphere.
Lone Ranger Wrote:Madison Central had Ryan Barnes who would go on to play at Harvard on scholarship,

Barnes most likely received acedemic or need based scholarship money. Harvard, though considered NCAA Division I, does not offer football scholarships. Harvard, like other Ivy League schools, offers no scholarships in any sport.
not to sound like a broken record or anything but last year at Bell County high school they was 2 great games Bell over Knox Central (hilton pulled out the shovel pass in the waning minutes) then the Boyle County game was a slobber knocker and cant forget about the Bell County Bullitt East state title game i was their and it had to be one of the best state title games of recent memory..then there was Bell County fort thomas highlands in the mid nineties
Brian Milam Wrote:AMEN!!! Brohm vs. Bush! Out of all that scoring there was (I believe) only one turnover in that game. Bush threw an INT with about 1:30 to go in the
4th quarter. What a way to send out Old Cardinal Stadium. That was the last football game ever played there.

1999 Middlesboro vs. Breathitt County -- MBoro wins 42-41
2007 Trinity vs. St.X -- Trinity wins 34-28 in OT to win state title
2002 Breathitt Co. vs. Russell --- Breathitt wins 28-27 in OT to go to finals
2000 Rockcastle Co. vs. Sheldon Clark -- Rock wins 7-6 in region finals ***hardest hitting game I have ever seen***

I'm sure there are others but those quickly come to mind.

I forgot about this game! That was a good one. Also I remember a Rock-Corbin game that ended 2-0. Lowest scoring game (Non-forfeit and to not end in a tie) in history!
BoondockSaint Wrote:Or maybe you wouldn't be as old as you are now....lol

Without a doubt, that would take some 10 years off my age and I would also not have that horrible memory in my head. Now I hate that game even more.:igiveup::igiveup:
BoondockSaint Wrote::igiveup:

Memories might be fading a little bit on both of your parts. The first pass was not intercepted, and was the only questionable call of the drive. Belfry wouldn't have been in that situation had Brent Coleman not spiked the ball for an unsportsmanlike conduct foul when Pikeville should have punted the ball to seal the win anyway. And the other two pass interferences could have just as easily been called pass interference with unnecessary roughness or unsportansmanlike conduct penalties, too.

I'll grant Pikeville glory-days fanatics this, without the first pass interference in which I myself wouldn't have called, Pikeville would have had one more in the history books. And honestly, if the Belfy alum would have known how bad things were to come in the next decade we probably would have just give it to ya to show what good ole' holler boys will do for their big city brethren...Confusedhh:

Bottom line BELFRY 7 - Pikeville 6

:yawn:
pagan Wrote:russell belfry 05'
boyd co. greenup co. playoff game 07'
st. x trinity title game 05'
ashland johnson cent. 05'

Boyd and Greenup was a great game..putting time back on the clock..last play of the game...emotional on both sides.
st. x and trinity have had some doozies over the years
This years game between Prestonsburg and Breathitt County is high on my list. Excellent fourth quarter comeback by the Blackcats to win by one point, 26-25.
Down and Out Wrote:For me it had to be 1995 when Tim Couch and his Leslie County Eagles came into Shedon Clark and SC upset them that nigjht for the only loss Couch had to a mountain team in his high school career. Also the 1998 regional final between SC and Belfry when Spradling went over for the two - point conversion.

Jc beat couch and company at home then got spanked the next year. I played both years for jc. Couch broke some big record.
brown_ind1977 Wrote:Jc beat couch and company at home then got spanked the next year. I played both years for jc. Couch broke some big record.

Couch came into Highlands his senior year with all the fanfair ( helicopters, huge crowd, tons of media,ect.). Highlands shut him down and he only was able to throw for a TD with about 1 min left in the game on second teamers. It was a very fun game.
05 Sheldon Clark vs. Leslie County
I will post the video of Belfry's 7-6 win over Pikeville from 1995 on the internet so you can guys can re-live that game again. I watched the highlights a couple of days ago and whoever recorded the game for WYMT back then, wrote on the log sheet of the game that Pikeville got screwed. Did they? I'm sure it depends on which side of Vipperman Stadium you were on.
^That would be awesome
Brian Milam Wrote:I will post the video of Belfry's 7-6 win over Pikeville from 1995 on the internet so you can guys can re-live that game again. I watched the highlights a couple of days ago and whoever recorded the game for WYMT back then, wrote on the log sheet of the game that Pikeville got screwed. Did they? I'm sure it depends on which side of Vipperman Stadium you were on.

Not really. You just said the impartial observer from WYMT said Pikeville got screwed. A huge Belfry fan on here already posted the same thing. Hope the camerman caught a good shot of the first pass interference call. It was on 4th down and the game should have been over right then and there.
2006 Regional Finals - Hazard @ Pikeville
HHS kicks a 6 second field goal in the 4th for a 2 point lead

(I went into Depression)
jetpilot Wrote:Not really. You just said the impartial observer from WYMT said Pikeville got screwed. A huge Belfry fan on here already posted the same thing. Hope the camerman caught a good shot of the first pass interference call. It was on 4th down and the game should have been over right then and there.

I've said that for years, too. I wouldn't have called the first one, and without that one the other two wouldn't have happened.

But the other two were blatant, and were the right calls.
BoondockSaint Wrote::igiveup:

Memories might be fading a little bit on both of your parts. The first pass was not intercepted, and was the only questionable call of the drive. Belfry wouldn't have been in that situation had Brent Coleman not spiked the ball for an unsportsmanlike conduct foul when Pikeville should have punted the ball to seal the win anyway. And the other two pass interferences could have just as easily been called pass interference with unnecessary roughness or unsportansmanlike conduct penalties, too.

I'll grant Pikeville glory-days fanatics this, without the first pass interference in which I myself wouldn't have called, Pikeville would have had one more in the history books. And honestly, if the Belfy alum would have known how bad things were to come in the next decade we probably would have just give it to ya to show what good ole' holler boys will do for their big city brethren...Confusedhh:

Bottom line BELFRY 7 - Pikeville 6

I stand corrected on if the ball was intercepted, I believe it was just knocked away,
Beetle01 Wrote:02 Russell vs Breathitt
00 Russell vs Lex. Cath.

Both terrific OT games, Russell lost both but they were still 2 of the best games Ive ever seen played, played by probably the 2 best teams Russell has ever put on the field.

They were good, but ever is strong and there is arguments to be made for other Russell teams that were better and had a tougher district schedule and tougher playoff road...00' team had a tougher road than 02, but Russell had several teams in the 90s that were pretty good...96' i think was better than the 2 you mentioned...and 99 would definitely compete with those 2....77-79 were phenomenal teams competing with the likes of Highlands...and if you lost one district game you were out...the early 80s had some great teams...nothing against the 2 squads you mentioned, but ever....that's a word i don't agree with:yawn:
Last years Hazard vs PCC game was amazing....and heartbreaking for me

A couple of years ago Perry and Clay played in an absolute shootout the Perry edged with a 60+ yard TD scramble by Jordan Amis

Any game I say will be a Perry Central game
I've not missed a game in so many years so I never get to see anyone else lol
Shelby Valley-P-Burg

Dont quite remember the score but P-burg drove the field got a very close 4th and inches, 26 seconds to go threw the game winning touchdown to #7, i still think bout that game and i was playing in it.
Gotta ad the ashland ironton game on friday quite the historical upset in a historical setting
BoondockSaint Wrote:I've said that for years, too. I wouldn't have called the first one, and without that one the other two wouldn't have happened.

But the other two were blatant, and were the right calls.
True statements: "without that one the other two wouldn't have happened", and "the other two were blatant, and were the right calls".
By saying that you would not have called the first one, can I assume that you are one who feels that the officials should 'swallow their whistles' in the closing few seconds of a game?
Not so true statement, from Post #54: "the KHSAA uses film of that game to this day during Referee clinics to teach Refs what NOT to do."
I have been to many 'Referee clinics' since that game and I have not seen these plays shown to officials. Not to say that the 15th Region didn't show this to some of their Referees, but it was NOT 'on display' to all.
I remember these plays well. I got to see the plays over and over. I agree, anyone would have thrown the flag on the last two. But, the call in question, which most people on here call a 'jump ball', is really more like a play in the post, where the offensive player has position with the defensive player directly behind him, a pass is thrown in to him, and the defensive player comes 'thru' the shoulders of the offensive player and knocks the ball away. FOUL!! Right?? If you really look with non-biased eyes, you will see the Pikeville player, which is behind the Belfry player, make contact shortly before the ball arrives, thus pushing the Belfry player forward, which possibly caused him to miss the ball. Principle of verticality, the Belfry player had position, and he was 'displaced' by the Pikeville player.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Jenkins-Pikeville (1984) when Jenkins pulled one of the biggest upsets in the state's history. I believe it was 14-12.
Undefeated Jenkins shut out the #3 Panthers, 14-0..I remember that game. Never has there been an atmosphere like that in Jenkins. Best game Ive ever seen would have to be Whitesburg/Russell in '94 I believe. Whitesburg beat them 14-7..I was at the Belfry/Pburg game in '04 and it was amazing too...Whitesburg and Neon played some great games over the years too. The '00 (or 01?) game that Neon won 13-6 was a great game..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The 2000 Neon/Hazard game when Neon made a goal line stand to win the game on 4th and 1 on the one. Sizemore went for a QB sneak and was stood up at the goalline resulting in a Neon win..That was a special team and is one of Brian Milam's all time favorite teams.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:The 2000 Neon/Hazard game when Neon made a goal line stand to win the game on 4th and 1 on the one. Sizemore went for a QB sneak and was stood up at the goalline resulting in a Neon win..That was a special team and is one of Brian Milam's all time favorite teams.

I thought that was 2001, I could be wrong though.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH