Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyle Co. 63 - Pikeville 7
Final from Corbin
How did Boone Goldsmith do today?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
This is the outcome I predicted. I didn't think they had a shot.
No surprise here. Boyle County is just head & shoulders better than Pikeville. I just hope that no players came away from this game seriously injured.

Congrats Rebels!
I changed the score on the title, the final was actually

Boyle - 63
Pikeville - 7
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BlackcatAlum Wrote:No surprise here. Boyle County is just head & shoulders better than Pikeville. I just hope that no players came away from this game seriously injured.

Congrats Rebels!

I was working the sideline tonight, I was informed that Ross McCoy was injured right before the 2nd half. He had to have a medi-cart come pick him up and drive him over to the ambulance. The ambulance left shortly after the start of the 3rd quarter and he was taken to a nearby hospital. They think it was either a broken rib or a kidney injury, but keep in mind, that's just based on how he was feeling at the time, it will take an x-ray and/or MRI before they know for sure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wow!!!
Just a 4A school whipping up on a 1A school.
ComfortEagle Wrote:I was working the sideline tonight, I was informed that Ross McCoy was injured right before the 2nd half. He had to have a medi-cart come pick him up and drive him over to the ambulance. The ambulance left shortly after the start of the 3rd quarter and he was taken to a nearby hospital. They think it was either a broken rib or a kidney injury, but keep in mind, that's just based on how he was feeling at the time, it will take an x-ray and/or MRI before they know for sure.
Ross just bruised his ribs and back. I talked to his dad earlier he'll be fine.
After a game like this Im reminded of the quote from the bar owner in "Roadhouse" after a major fight broke out at the bar. "Well it was a good night, nobody died" This game was about what I expected. We hung tough through the first quarter and a half. It was 14-7 midway through the second quarter. But then Boyles depth and athleticism just overwhelmed us. Our boys fought hard but in the end they were just too much which is to be expected when 4a meets 1a. Even in the haze of the beating I still saw some good things that we can build on. GO PANTHERS!!!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:No surprise here. Boyle County is just head & shoulders better than Pikeville. I just hope that no players came away from this game seriously injured.

Congrats Rebels!
Usually 4a teams are head and shoulders above 1a teams thats simple math. Boyle is just Head and Shoulders above everyone. Unless they have ST X, Trinity, or Highlands on the schedule I dont see them losing a game this year.
ouch
Who scheduled this game, the previous coach or the AD? NOT a competitive opponent......I hope they got a lot of money for being a sacrificial lamb.................this was like Florida pounding Charleston Southern 62-3. The difference is that high school kids can get seriously hurt!
hope boyle didnt leave there starters in for this one after it was 42-7 at half..
ROL REBELS ROLL!! :flame:
She Hulk Wrote:Who scheduled this game, the previous coach or the AD? NOT a competitive opponent......I hope they got a lot of money for being a sacrificial lamb.................this was like Florida pounding Charleston Southern 62-3. The difference is that high school kids can get seriously hurt!

If the AD was responsible for this....I hope they spend the money wisely..

Because AD or whoever had the power to change this game before the season started....PUT MONEY AND OR PRIDE ABOVE THESE PLAYERS.
This may sound stupid. But, I think Pikeville played very well in this game. Picked off the first offense play for Boyle, put together a scoring drive in the first half to cut it to 14-7 with about 5 minutes left until halftime. The defense forced a couple punts in the first half. Taylor Ratliff and Randy Maynard showed me a lot of toughness combined with some serious skill. Both made some great catches, and Taylor had a huge hit on a Boyle Wide out. Clark Keene, JR Robinson, and Ross McCoy ran hard all night without much daylight. Blake Branham forced some throws, but when he didn't he made very good decisions and threw a lot of good balls, and was very effective rolling out and throwing. The score is a result of being out of Boyle county's league. But I saw some very good things out of this team tonight, and am proud of the effort they put forth.
I think the Panthers will be fine when they get back to playing A & AA teams. Several of the teams they have to play in their district are very weak so I would like to see them schedule teams that are competitive with them, but not out of their league, like Boyle. It's like the schedule the past few seasons has only had both extremes, blowouts whether wins or losses. That's not good for the teams or the crowds. I would love to see them get a more challenging, yet winnable schedule.
Boyle County is better than I thought this year. The Rebels lost a lot from last year's squad, but haven't missed a beat so far to start the '09 season.

Congrats Rebels!
She Hulk Wrote:Who scheduled this game, the previous coach or the AD?
Well thats complicated. The previous Coach scheduled the game to begin with. Theres a belief in the community that Copley scheduled this game to thumb his nose at the administration for firing him. I dont know if thats true. What I do know for a fact is that Copley was literally begged not to schedule this game by some close to the program but scheduled the game anyway. So, efforts were made by some in the community to raise the funds to buy out of that game. Considering that the only person in Pikeville at the time that wanted this game wasnt there anymore. The money was raised and brought to the school and the school wouldnt cash the check. Some stupid statement like "We honor our commitments" was made. I hope the ones who wanted this game to be played are proud of the "Blood Money" they got from this. If I were Ross Mccoys parents Id make the school pay for his medical bills last night.
I think it's long overdue that Pikeville and Shelby Valley start a series.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Just a 4A school whipping up on a 1A school.
Hazard (1A) stayed really close with Letcher Central (5A). In the "good ol days Pikeville might have had a better shot at a bigger school, but the 11 athletes on the field are not the same quality anymore.
Ouch!
by the way how can you play well in a lost like this?
finepoint Wrote:Hazard (1A) stayed really close with Letcher Central (5A). In the "good ol days Pikeville might have had a better shot at a bigger school, but the 11 athletes on the field are not the same quality anymore.
I mean no disrespect to coach Howard but Letcher Central would get demolished by Boyle and so would Hazard.
nky Wrote:Ouch!
by the way how can you play well in a lost like this?
Under the circumstances, they played pretty well. No matter how well we played- it wasn't really going to matter, they are just that good.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Well thats complicated. The previous Coach scheduled the game to begin with. Theres a belief in the community that Copley scheduled this game to thumb his nose at the administration for firing him. I dont know if thats true. What I do know for a fact is that Copley was literally begged not to schedule this game by some close to the program but scheduled the game anyway. So, efforts were made by some in the community to raise the funds to buy out of that game. Considering that the only person in Pikeville at the time that wanted this game wasnt there anymore. The money was raised and brought to the school and the school wouldnt cash the check. Some stupid statement like "We honor our commitments" was made. I hope the ones who wanted this game to be played are proud of the "Blood Money" they got from this. If I were Ross Mccoys parents Id make the school pay for his medical bills last night.

Agree that this game should not have been scheduled. Most schools require the AD or principal to sign off on all contracts. So if either did not want the game all they had to do was refuse to sign.

What was the buyout fee?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Well thats complicated. The previous Coach scheduled the game to begin with. Theres a belief in the community that Copley scheduled this game to thumb his nose at the administration for firing him. I dont know if thats true. What I do know for a fact is that Copley was literally begged not to schedule this game by some close to the program but scheduled the game anyway. So, efforts were made by some in the community to raise the funds to buy out of that game. Considering that the only person in Pikeville at the time that wanted this game wasnt there anymore. The money was raised and brought to the school and the school wouldnt cash the check. Some stupid statement like "We honor our commitments" was made. I hope the ones who wanted this game to be played are proud of the "Blood Money" they got from this. If I were Ross Mccoys parents Id make the school pay for his medical bills last night.

Wow, that's interesting. I hadn't heard that...............
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Agree that this game should not have been scheduled. Most schools require the AD or principal to sign off on all contracts. So if either did not want the game all they had to do was refuse to sign.

What was the buyout fee?
Im not sure what the amount was. I was told $5000 but I dont know that for a fact. All I do know for sure is that the money was offered but not accepted. It must have been a lucrative offer for the school to not want to get out of it. I wonder how much of that money the football team will see???
Panther Thunder Wrote:This may sound stupid. But, I think Pikeville played very well in this game. Picked off the first offense play for Boyle, put together a scoring drive in the first half to cut it to 14-7 with about 5 minutes left until halftime. The defense forced a couple punts in the first half. Taylor Ratliff and Randy Maynard showed me a lot of toughness combined with some serious skill. Both made some great catches, and Taylor had a huge hit on a Boyle Wide out. Clark Keene, JR Robinson, and Ross McCoy ran hard all night without much daylight. Blake Branham forced some throws, but when he didn't he made very good decisions and threw a lot of good balls, and was very effective rolling out and throwing. The score is a result of being out of Boyle county's league. But I saw some very good things out of this team tonight, and am proud of the effort they put forth.

Great post Panther Thunder! I think people will look back on this time and remember it as when Pikeville turned the corner to start being the old Pikeville again.
finepoint Wrote:Hazard (1A) stayed really close with Letcher Central (5A). In the "good ol days Pikeville might have had a better shot at a bigger school, but the 11 athletes on the field are not the same quality anymore.

Are you serious? Boyle would manhandle a Hazard/Letcher Central all star team.