Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 28 - Belfry 21
I am not so sure EKU, although it may have sounded that way on the radio. Prestonsburg put the brakes on their play calling after they got the 21-7 lead. Belfry made some nice adjustments after halftime to stop their sweep play and running game overall, but they still had ALL DAY to throw the ball underneath a secondary that just kept backing up.

They certainly can stand to improve their tackling. But, it wasn't like we were in the backfield all night but just missing tackles. Prestonsburg handled our front 7 just as easily as they exposed the secondary.
bucslover68 Wrote:You are right cuppett. A 21-7 hole was a big one to dig out of and they almost did it. From the first quarter on, Prestonsburg only scored one time, and Belfry really controlled them the second half. But a game is always judged in its totality, and for this night, Prestonsburg was better for 48 minutes.

should hold there heads high for the way they finished the game..
Can anyone post Belfry's roster with #/name/position/class/height/weight? I am not as familiar with who is who on the team as years past and was hoping to be able to put some names to numbers.

Thanks
Good job p-burg
Alright, time for my unnecessarily long post about the game.

I liked what I saw (seen? I hate English.) on offense. At first Tyler had a little trouble holding on to the ball but he strung it together and we ended up doing really well. Prestonsburg had a good defense on it too, but we made plays where we needed to. One thing I liked was the rotation on the offensive line. I saw a lot of guys in there I think that keeps 'em fresh. I don't know if that was the purpose, but it is a good idea. In the game I saw on the o-line - Chancey Cisco, Cameron Tackett, Garett Francis, Casey Lester, James Hardin, Zack Francis, Preston Young, and someone else that I can't really remember. Same goes on the d-line. A good rotation of Stevan Gibbs (who played awesome.), James Hardin, Chancey Cisco, Morgan Bentley, and anyone else I'm missing I apologize.

I think we'll string it together in a week or so. We'll be fine.
Belfry tackled much better in the second half and in the first half it was the misses that turned 2-3 yard gains into much bigger gains. I too thought the defense was not near aggressive enough in the first half. Burchett picked them apart and for the most part the secondary allowed the receivers too much room underneath. What really killed Belfry were the false starts, which were basically a reaction to the blitzing/stunting that Pburg was bringing.
Agree on the false starts. They are always drive killers against quality competition.

Couple other things I took note of.

1) The footing seem to go out from under Pirate backs. It was almost as if we hadn't practiced on grass at all in preparation for this game on a natural surface. I didn't see Prestonsburg slip once.

2) How much of the defensive flat-footedness can be attributed to Coach Mick's departure?
I do miss ol' Coach Mick. Yeah we didn't practice on grass. Should've been playin' on the baseball or soccer field all week.

Also, the linebacker thing, I know Gary starts, but I thought Cameron did too. Did he get tired or was their a question on his ankle? Because Payton Mullins played the majority of the game at LB for him.
Can't say anything about the young QB or the back field just
didn't have enough time to do anything P-burg was in the back
field all night long. Even when they started playing better
they was just getting the ball off Belfry has more then alot
of work to do i hope they can get it done love them PIRATES.
I am so glad my blackcats took they win , but as always don't count Belfry out , they will come back after this loss to kill ...they always do ....Great game on both ends ...a great way 2 spend a Friday Night ...Nothing like football in the mountains ....!
How did Belfry's offense look? And what kind of offense did they run mainly? And who Quaterbacked?
Panther Thunder Wrote:How did Belfry's offense look? And what kind of offense did they run mainly? And who Quaterbacked?

Tyler Williams quarterbacked 95% of the snaps. Thomas Varney took a few snaps from the shotgun spread. Mainly Belfry ran wishbone and broken bone and two tights a few times. A lot of option. Overall, I would give their offense a b-. A lot of good plays, but too many slips and mishandles of the ball and too many illegal procedures.
bucslover68 Wrote:Tyler Williams quarterbacked 95% of the snaps. Thomas Varney took a few snaps from the shotgun spread. Mainly Belfry ran wishbone and broken bone and two tights a few times. A lot of option. Overall, I would give their offense a b-. A lot of good plays, but too many slips and mishandles of the ball and too many illegal procedures.
Thanks for the info
I was really impressed by the Blackcats. Congrats Cats!!
I think both teams have a lot of youth and inexperience and it showed. I think both teams are going to be a lot better than people think before the season is over though. Belfry was getting in the right positions early but not making the plays. I seen the Belfry defense grow so much from the begining of the game to the end, and that's a good sign.
Good luck P'Burg to the rest of the season!
oneijoe Wrote:You're out of your mind, or you only know soccer.

:eyeroll:

Belfry could very easily go 0-5.

Next 3 games in no particular order are Letcher Central, Whitley Co., and Ashland.

I'd almost predict 0-4.
BoondockSaint Wrote:Belfry could very easily go 0-5.

Next 3 games in no particular order are Letcher Central, Whitley Co., and Ashland.

I'd almost predict 0-4.

Belfry's next game is against Boyd County.
Pburg finally beat belfry. Belfry will be fine. Every squirrel finds a nut sometimes.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Belfry's next game is against Boyd County.

you're right....I don't know much about them so I'd say thats a toss-up.

But the 3 I mentioned are directly after and would be a tough road to travel for even the better Belfry teams of years past.

And this is not one of your better Belfry teams.
After this loss Belfry is still Belfry. Everyone seen glimpses of what each Pirate is capable of. Their line does need some adjustments, but their offense did real with P'burg loading up the box with 9, 10 and 11 players. They moved the ball and had some long drives, but they shot themselves in the foot numerous times with silly mistakes. The Belfry defense give up a ton of big plays through the air but only few on the ground. They shutdown the P'burg run game when the Blackcats started playing conservative. But I guarantee Belfry will not see another passing attack as good as P'burg's the rest of this season.

Best of luck to the Pirates the rest of season!
What a way to start High School Football.

I wished i would of made it to this game.

P-Burg keep your game together dont get a big head now.
Belfry hopefully you guys will put everything together and start clicking

Way to respresent, good luck to both teams
Wow. Wish I could have been at this one. But, I seen highlights on Sports Overtime, and Michael Burchett looked to be very impressive.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Wow, Congrats Pburg!
MisterPerfect Wrote:Wow. Wish I could have been at this one. But, I seen highlights on Sports Overtime, and Michael Burchett looked to be very impressive.

Michael Burchett is the most underrated quarterback in the state IMO.

Michael is 6'3 or 6'4 (give or take) around 200lbs, great arm, accurate, quick feet and very, very smart. I'm pretty sure he has a 4.0 GPA also.
Belfry has alot of work to do. Prestonsburg has a nice passing game, and could definitely eat Belfry up on the long passes. The #2 kid from P'Burg stayed open all night from blown coverage on Belfry's part. The Blackcats really exposed Belfry's youth in the secondary. Congrats Blackcats and glad things are more competitive again. :Thumbs:
Way to go Blackcats!!!
**Send me a pm if you have any questions or comments**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I don't think P-burg or Belfry is going to be great this year but they
both will get better six or seven games in to the season congrats to
P-burg don't get used to this it won't happen to many times as you
have seen over the years. Give us a little time and we will be back.
PIRATE FOOTBALL
Belfry is young at pretty much every position and they showed it. I am proud of them for a much improved second half of the game. They could have all rolled over after trailing 21-7, but they fought back to make it a close game. I was a little disappointed to find out at the game that this game could have been played at the end of the season when both teams would have been more skilled and evenly matched. I think a more evenly matched game later in the year would have benefited both teams better going into the playoffs. Great crowd on hand for this one. Speaking of sportsmanship, I and some other Belfry fans were treated fairly poorly by some P'burg fans on our way out, but we all kept going and said nothing back to them. This was my first trip there in a long time, which will probably my last trip. But anyway, good Luck to Prestonsburg the rest of the season.

Go Pirates!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Belfry is not young at every position. They have 3 seniors starting out of the 4 positions in the secondary.
BelfryPride Wrote:Belfry is young at pretty much every position and they showed it. I am proud of them for a much improved second half of the game. They could have all rolled over after trailing 21-7, but they fought back to make it a close game. I was a little disappointed to find out at the game that this game could have been played at the end of the season when both teams would have been more skilled and evenly matched. I think a more evenly matched game later in the year would have benefited both teams better going into the playoffs. Great crowd on hand for this one. Speaking of sportsmanship, I and some other Belfry fans were treated fairly poorly by some P'burg fans on our way out, but we all kept going and said nothing back to them. This was my first trip there in a long time, which will probably my last trip. But anyway, good Luck to Prestonsburg the rest of the season.

Go Pirates!

I keep hearing about how young Belfry is but Prestonsburg is just as young if not younger. They had to replace their two leading rushers, two leading receivers, three offensive linemen and ended up graduating 14 players off of a team that only had around 35 players. And all seniors started on either side of the ball.

I'm sure it was the Prestonsburg students who probably said something, but I recall getting yelled at by a lot of Belfry fans in 2004 at Vipperman as we left.