Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WYMT Preseason Mountain Top 10
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Plus he is a Sophmore so recruiting is limited.

I hope the kid stays healthy then... always a good thing for D-1 recruiters to make their way into the mountains, with that kind of speed he will certainly receive attention. Hopefully he can have a breakout season this year and get his name recognition out there.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I hope the kid stays healthy then... always a good thing for D-1 recruiters to make their way into the mountains, with that kind of speed he will certainly receive attention. Hopefully he can have a breakout season this year and get his name recognition out there.

I mentioned him to you back some time ago before everyone started talking about him. I hope you get the chance to see him play.
I'll pull for any mountain kid to make it as far as they can. Everyone needs to remember, in the grand scheme of things, we're all pulling for the kids. If you're not, you need to get out of the mountains.
The biggest difference why Breathitt is #1 and Bell is #2 deals with the present. A 2008 state title has nothing to do with 2009. *IF* Bell had lost 20+ seniors and the majority of their team would they be #1 because it's the cool thing to do? Bell County lost more than 4,700 yards of offense and a kicker who was responsible for 15-30 yards of field position on every kickoff. Merrick helped the defense by pinning the opponent at the 20 because of touchbacks. Breathitt County returns 95% of their offense and around 80% of their defense. Bell lost more than you think offensively. Bell County should be very solid defensively. If Bell's offense shows they can get it done *THIS YEAR*, I am sure Bell would be able to move up one spot. It will take a couple of weeks to figure out what Dudley's Cats will look like. I wish them well.

BTW...Derek doesn't love his job! He's like Philip Haywood, always sandbagging!Cool
Too me the bigger question instead of returners is could Breathit beat Bell? Never could in the past and Coach Holcomb will not allow us to find out now. If Praire view returns 22 starters and Florida returns 2 would you rate PV ahead of the Gators????:please:

I know comparing Praire view and Breathit is not fair but you get the point.
Johnson Central plays the Mountian's Big Three B's, Bell, Breattitt and Belfy as well as onther great B in Boyle. They may prove they are number one where is counts, on the field!
MonsterMan Wrote:Johnson Central plays the Mountian's Big Three B's, Bell, Breattitt and Belfy as well as onther great B in Boyle. They may prove they are number one where is counts, on the field!

Win those games and they would have to be # 1. No doubt about it.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Great question. David Jones ran a 4.4 and I'm mighty sure that Cory Davenport isn't within a tenth of a second of Jones. I've heard much about Davenport and how fast he is from people that have seen him firsthand. I don't know if you people that claim Davenport ran a 4.43 understand how fast that really is. Like BCA said, that is absolutely lightning speed. I understand Davenport as quick if not quicker than anyone in the Mountains, but a 4.43 is right on key with David Jones who was the quickest player to ever come out of the Mountains. Look at Jones now, great four year career at UK and is now in the NFL. I'm not too sure about Raines running a 4.5 either. Realistically, Davenport would be lucky to run a 4.5 and Raines a 4.6+. Listen, it's great to root for your team and hype them up as much as possible, but you still have to be realistic about it. Truth of the matter is, Matt Raines is an outstanding player who is in my humble opinion, the second best player in the Mountains. Same goes for Davenport, an outstanding young player who is only a sophomore this upcoming season and is on the bubble on my Mountain top ten player list.

As for saying WYMT is a joke, that's ridiculous. I agree with all that are saying that is a joke in itself, because it truly is. I'm with you on your opinion of the rankings though. I disagree that Breathitt County is the number one team, it's Bell County in my book as well. Thing is, like everyone else has said, pre-season rankings don't mean diddly squat. All they are is hogwash and mixed opinions. I respect all of the guys at WYMT that put the rankings together. I might disagree with them, but is that a reason to call them and what they do a "joke"? I don't think so.

Cory Davenport ran a 4.41 the first day of practice with two stop watches clocking him. they had him run it again he ran a 4.43. This kid may not look like a much but just watch him this year I promis he is going to be very good. And as for the poll atleast a Bobcat team is first what more does people want:biggrin:
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Too me the bigger question instead of returners is could Breathit beat Bell? Never could in the past and Coach Holcomb will not allow us to find out now. If Praire view returns 22 starters and Florida returns 2 would you rate PV ahead of the Gators????:please:

I know comparing Praire view and Breathit is not fair but you get the point.

How in God's great name can you compare Prairie View and Florida to Bell and Breathitt? I don't get the point. :omg: You appear to be an intelligent guy and that is why I can't figure this out. Let's get straight down to it. To my knowledge Bell and Breathitt have not played each other since Bell whipped Breathitt in the 93 and 94 playoffs. So how can you say one is better than the other because they played 15 and 16 years ago?

In 2008, Bell County beats Breathitt County (in my opinion) by 2-3 touchdowns, maybe more depending on the site of the game. BUT THAT WAS LAST YEAR! Even the kids from Bell County said this is not last year's team!!! THE KIDS SAID THAT!!! The kids said they will OK eventually but they have to prove they can do it again.

Bell County returns four starters on offense and I believe all are linemen. Breathitt is just the opposite. The Jackson Cats have the majority of their offense and defense returning. The mountain poll is an opinion and some (not you, unless you are in the group) thinks there is some stupid bias against Bell. We didn't hear that last year. If Bell is #1 then I hope they prove us wrong.:1:
Brian Milam Wrote:How in God's great name can you compare Prairie View and Florida to Bell and Breathitt? I don't get the point. :omg: You appear to be an intelligent guy and that is why I can't figure this out. Let's get straight down to it. To my knowledge Bell and Breathitt have not played each other since Bell whipped Breathitt in the 93 and 94 playoffs. So how can you say one is better than the other because they played 15 and 16 years ago?

In 2008, Bell County beats Breathitt County (in my opinion) by 2-3 touchdowns, maybe more depending on the site of the game. BUT THAT WAS LAST YEAR! Even the kids from Bell County said this is not last year's team!!! THE KIDS SAID THAT!!! The kids said they will OK eventually but they have to prove they can do it again.

Bell County returns four starters on offense and I believe all are linemen. Breathitt is just the opposite. The Jackson Cats have the majority of their offense and defense returning. The mountain poll is an opinion and some (not you, unless you are in the group) thinks there is some stupid bias against Bell. We didn't hear that last year. If Bell is #1 then I hope they prove us wrong.:1:

Got to go with the Bell County faithful on this one. It's a stretch to say that a Breathitt team you admit would have been crushed by Bell last year is now better than Bell just because Bell lost more starters. You have to assume Bell will be several touchdowns worse than last year's team to lose to the same Breathitt team even you say they would have beaten by 2-3 TDs, maybe more. It's not logical to assume that Bell will be 2-3 TDs, maybe more, worse than last year's Bell Co. team.
jetpilot Wrote:Got to go with the Bell County faithful on this one. It's a stretch to say that a Breathitt team you admit would have been crushed by Bell last year is now better than Bell just because Bell lost more starters. You have to assume Bell will be several touchdowns worse than last year's team to lose to the same Breathitt team even you say they would have beaten by 2-3 TDs, maybe more. It's not logical to assume that Bell will be 2-3 TDs, maybe more, worse than last year's Bell Co. team.

"Just because Bell lost more starters"? They lost ALL of their starters on offense except the linemen and their top returning rusher!!!! Not just some, but all of them! Seven starters and anywhere between 4,700 - 5,000 yards of offense and more than 66 touchdowns! How can last year's second string be automatically better because they were on a state title team? Merrick's kicking was a huge weapon and it's gone also. I don't follow stats alone because there is so much more to any game than just numbers. But these numbers are interesting.

Bell QB: 1st year as starter
Breathitt QB: 1,420 yds passing 17TD - 625 yds rushing 10TD
*Haddix did not play in 2-3 games due to injury.

Bell top returning RB: 162 yds. 3TD
Breathitt top returning RB: 3,052 yds. 36TD

Bell WR: 893yds. 15TD
Breathitt WR: 1,275yds. 16TD

Total points returning:
Bell: 114 points
Breathitt: 502 points

Both offensive lines return in tact for the most part. Both teams lost coaches to other schools. Bell lost 13 seniors, Breathitt 10 (*Bell had many more key contributors than Breathitt)

If both teams played right now, Breathitt County would be better offensively and Bell with an advantage defensively. Some of you guys are acting like we are proclaiming Breathitt County as an overwhelming favorite as #1. That is not the case.
:wenumber1:Second:
Brian Milam Wrote:How in God's great name can you compare Prairie View and Florida to Bell and Breathitt? I don't get the point. :omg: You appear to be an intelligent guy and that is why I can't figure this out. Let's get straight down to it. To my knowledge Bell and Breathitt have not played each other since Bell whipped Breathitt in the 93 and 94 playoffs. So how can you say one is better than the other because they played 15 and 16 years ago?

Brian, we appreciate the coverage you give us and I for one know you put forth alot of effort into doing the preseason show and I hope we get to prove we are deserving of the number 1 spot as the season goes forth. I would bet you had the same grief last year from Belfrey and Johnson Central who thought they were deserving of the number one spot. Hand in there, hope to see ya on log mtn. tomorrow night.
Brian Milam Wrote:"Just because Bell lost more starters"? They lost ALL of their starters on offense except the linemen and their top returning rusher!!!! Not just some, but all of them! Seven starters and anywhere between 4,700 - 5,000 yards of offense and more than 66 touchdowns! How can last year's second string be automatically better because they were on a state title team? Merrick's kicking was a huge weapon and it's gone also. I don't follow stats alone because there is so much more to any game than just numbers. But these numbers are interesting.

Bell QB: 1st year as starter
Breathitt QB: 1,420 yds passing 17TD - 625 yds rushing 10TD
*Haddix did not play in 2-3 games due to injury.

Bell top returning RB: 162 yds. 3TD
Breathitt top returning RB: 3,052 yds. 36TD

Bell WR: 893yds. 15TD
Breathitt WR: 1,275yds. 16TD

Total points returning:
Bell: 114 points
Breathitt: 502 points

Both offensive lines return in tact for the most part. Both teams lost coaches to other schools. Bell lost 13 seniors, Breathitt 10 (*Bell had many more key contributors than Breathitt)

If both teams played right now, Breathitt County would be better offensively and Bell with an advantage defensively. Some of you guys are acting like we are proclaiming Breathitt County as an overwhelming favorite as #1. That is not the case.
:wenumber1:Second:

Illogical to think they will be several touchdowns worse...
4A, State Champs, big school, great coaching staff, great program = several touchdowns worse? You just can't assume that. A program like that is much more likely to reload and continue to carry on their success rather than be several touchdowns worse. And no I'm not a Bell or Breathitt fan, but do root for them and admire their programs.
I'd like to know if the Bell Bobcats would like a little cheese with all this whine???:biggrin:
log mtn mafia Wrote:Brian, we appreciate the coverage you give us and I for one know you put forth alot of effort into doing the preseason show and I hope we get to prove we are deserving of the number 1 spot as the season goes forth. I would bet you had the same grief last year from Belfrey and Johnson Central who thought they were deserving of the number one spot. Hand in there, hope to see ya on log mtn. tomorrow night.

I personally think that WYMT has always given Bell great coverage and respect. To malign them in this way is really showing ingratitude from a few of the Bobcat fans and parents. They have done specials on our players and covered our games well. Coach Hilton made the comment before the 2008 season when asked if he thought that team had what it took to win state. He said that he had several teams through the years that had the talent to win the title, but self destructed due to jealousy, parents interfering or complaining about who plays, when and where, etc. He pointed out that if they could overcome those petty things and work together as a team they might have a real shot. Well.....we all know the perserverance of the 2008 team. They were at the brink of failure several times down the stretch of the playoffs and with strong senior leadership and skill players making big plays...including talented underclassmen....they prevailed and brought home the trophy! The thing that drove that team was the loss to Lexington Catholic on Log Mountain. Every moment from that night forward....they were driven. This year's Bobcats have experienced that journey Several were key players....but nearly half of the new team.....got their game experience while the others showered and dressed. Bobcat tradition is obviously deep and passionate. This year's Bobcats have the same challenge and the same opportunity.....but will they be driven by the fact that they want another ring.....or will they have the same passion determination of the 2008 team who were motivated by their failure in 2007. Only time will tell! I guarantee you Boyle County has never forgotten walking off the frozen field on Log Mountain in tears. We better be ready and have the same fire in our hearts if we do meet again.
Go Bobcats! Take it to Alcoa....and let's begin this championship quest on the field....and not in the polls!
Diogenes Wrote:To call WYMT a joke is a joke in itself.

There's only ONE news outlet that covers mountain teams. It's not ESPN, the Lexington Herald-Leader, or WKYT. The rest of the world doesn't really know nor care that we exist out here, and if it weren't for WYMT and the work they do each Friday night, nobody in the mountains would ever see Bell County highlights, or Breathitt County highlights, or anybody else's highlights either. The amount of work and energy those guys put into and what they have done for mountain sports cannot be overestimated, and I for one am frankly offended that someone (no matter what team you might root for) has the nerve to call them a "joke" because their pre-season top ten didn't put your team number one instead of number two. That's a slap in the face to some people who work very very hard to try and cover every team and probably don't get paid nearly enough for what they do.

I dont care. I have satelite so I dont get WYMT anyways. I think its horrible that they arent on satelite. Channel 6, 8, 10, and 43 in Knoxville are all on my satelite as local channels.

4 returning starters on Offense? Where the heck did you get that from? Bell returns alot of players. Remember what I said Bell had alot that didnt play both ways last year but will this year.

These players started last year: Some have changed positions from last year to this year. Heres what they will be playing this year.
John Dudley Hilton RB
Matt Raines WR/RB
Taylor Mills WR
Cody Davenport WR
Cody Marcum C
Billy Lawson OL
Mike Howard OL
Joe Collett OL
Keith Lowe WR/TE
John Fuson OL
Remember Bell Co RELOADS not REBUILDS!!!
Bell's Defense returns:
Lowe 66 tkls, 13 tfl
Mills 41 tkls, 5 tfl
Lawson 75 tkls, 10 tfl
Brown 54 tkls
Hilton led team with 129 tkls.
Below is a list of who will play the most on offense this year. Yes theres more than 11. The players I have started beside did start last year but some maybe at a different position. Cory Davenport did start at DB and some at RB before his season ending injury in a Freshman game.

Offense:
C Cody Marcum (started)
RT Mike Howard (started)
LT Joe Collett (started)
RG John Fuson (started)
LG Lonnie Miracle
RB John Dudley Hilton (started)
TE Keith Lowe (started)
WR Cody Davenport (started)
WR Scotty Henderson
FB Josh Brown (started)
FB Taylor Mills (started)
HB Matt Raines (started) 4.5 40
HB Cory Davenport (started) 4.43 40
QB Ben Madon

Special teams:
Madon KO/Punts
Hilton FG/PAT's
Cory Davenport KO returner
Raines KO returner

Last year Madon played Varsity some. Went 5/5 160 yards. Unbelievable stats on the Freshman and JV squads. He is no joke at the QB position. Like I stated he cant run like Zachery but heck of alot better passer. This all came from the Pineville Sun Newspaper all are legit.
Defense:
DE Lowe (started)
DE Mills (started)
DB Cory Davenport (started for 3 games) Injury.
S Madon
DL Lawson (started)
DL Collett (started)
DL Marcum (started)
LB Brown (started)
LB Hilton (started)
DB Cody Davenport (started)
DB Raines (started)
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Below is a list of who will play the most on offense this year. Yes theres more than 11. The players I have started beside did start last year but some maybe at a different position. Cory Davenport did start at DB and some at RB before his season ending injury in a Freshman game.

Offense:
C Cody Marcum (started)
RT Mike Howard (started)
LT Joe Collett (started)
RG John Fuson (started)
LG Lonnie Miracle
RB John Dudley Hilton (started)
TE Keith Lowe (started)
WR Cody Davenport (started)
WR Scotty Henderson
FB Josh Brown (started)
FB Taylor Mills (started)
HB Matt Raines (started) 4.5 40
HB Cory Davenport (started) 4.43 40
QB Ben Madon

Special teams:
Madon KO/Punts
Hilton FG/PAT's
Cory Davenport KO returner
Raines KO returner

Last year Madon played Varsity some. Went 5/5 160 yards. Unbelievable stats on the Freshman and JV squads. He is no joke at the QB position. Like I stated he cant run like Zachery but heck of alot better passer. This all came from the Pineville Sun Newspaper all are legit.

Lonnie Miracle is the RG he is a JR. Brent Marsee Starts at LG he is a SO. both of them got there share of playing time last year.
What happened to the love?

[Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2241/3842...4aac8e.jpg]

This was not even a year ago remind you.

Regardless of the rankings and the polls, every team is WYMT's team. There are no biases and no favorites. We try to cover everyone as equally as possible.

But once again. Who was it that said to be the best, you have to beat the best? haha WOOOOOO ... haha ... Anyways, the 2008 Bobcats got the chance to do that last year. The 2009 Bobcats get their shot this season. Time will most certainly tell just how good they are, but time will tell just how good everyone in our coverage area is.

Again, let the kids play, lets not occupy and distract them with arguing over who should be number one and who shouldn't be.

Again, all that matters in the end is the state championship. I can not state that enough.

Good luck to all of our teams in the coverage area tonight!

Can't believe that the football season is here.

- Derek Forrest
Get over it. It is a new season. Prove it on the football field.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Get over it. It is a new season. Prove it on the football field.

I am with you on that:Thumbs:
Couldn't agree more!!
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:I dont care. I have satelite so I dont get WYMT anyways. I think its horrible that they arent on satelite. Channel 6, 8, 10, and 43 in Knoxville are all on my satelite as local channels.

Dont feel bad thats all the channels I have too, but maybe its all good that we dont brother cause of our health!!!! :HitWall:
Nice to see Knox Central up there.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:4 returning starters on Offense? Where the heck did you get that from? Bell returns alot of players. Remember what I said Bell had alot that didnt play both ways last year but will this year.

These players started last year: Some have changed positions from last year to this year. Heres what they will be playing this year.
John Dudley Hilton RB
Matt Raines WR/RB
Taylor Mills WR
Cody Davenport WR
Cody Marcum C
Billy Lawson OL
Mike Howard OL
Joe Collett OL
Keith Lowe WR/TE
John Fuson OL

That came from your head coach Dudley Hilton!!!
Bell fans should stop worrying about the rankings and worry bout Alcoa.. Very unlikely but if they beat Alcoa they should be ranked #1 hands down. I agree with Breathitt being #1
Sports Overtime Wrote:Bell fans should stop worrying about the rankings and worry bout Alcoa.. Very unlikely but if they beat Alcoa they should be ranked #1 hands down. I agree with Breathitt being #1

That's a surprise. I would have bet the house you would have said Bell was # 1 in the mountains.