Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry/Hazard Scrimmage
bac2369 Wrote:This scrimmage should give the hazard team hope after the loss of those seniors. Hazard also didnt have tightend joey meehan. He gives them another weapon. I wish my cousin would play he would give hazard a good runningback that way abbott and slone could both play fullback. I really hope he will change his mind.

I really hope he changes his mind, too. I know everyone was talking to him tonight trying to get him to play. I think his head is saying "no, I don't want to play" but his heart is saying "YES". I sure hope his heart wins out. Mikey...the Dawgs need you!
divadawg Wrote:The scrimmage went well and Hazard definitely "held their own," with Belfry. I realize this is a scrimmage, but Hazard was ahead 3 to 1 touchdowns when the varsity was benched and the freshmen came out on the field. I left before it actually ended, but it was tied 3 to 3 when I left. Hazard's kicker, Auston Delpont, hit a 50 yard field goal which was awesome! He is the real deal. I was very impressed with the Bulldogs, and hope this is an indication of good things to come!

Wasn't it great to be at the football field again? Good food, good friends and good football...what could be better? GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!!
Yes it felt real good. But it would sure feel a lot better to come to the games to watch my cousin.
bac2369 Wrote:Yes it felt real good. But it would sure feel a lot better to come to the games to watch my cousin.

Amen to that. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that he changes his mind.
I certainly support his return to the game. He is an excellent football player and would be a HUGE ASSETT to our team! Please, Mikael, reconsider and oome back to the team!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Anyone?

I'm still waiting on bucslover to post his updates.... LOL... (didn't even see him there!!)....

For the record, I talked to him and he told me what he posted so EKU, your in the clear! HAHA...

The scrimmage was just that.... a mix of this one and that one and of course Coach Haywood style in a scrimmage.... The boys did well and I will send some pix when I get back home....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Heard Chase Maynard didn't play. Hopefully he will be able to go next week. Even though Thomas is back, it is pretty clear that we are going to need him to be "this year's Thomas"if that makes sense.

Heard it was 14-8 Hazard when Belfry started making wholesale changes. Other than that heard it was your run of the mill Belfry scrimmage, Haywood subbed liberally, Belfry ran mutliple plays and sets, timing was off, and the defense struggled with assignments.

Bucs also said that the Willis kid and the Carroll kid looked good, and that Belfry had some dropped passes.

All in all it was about what I expected from the first Belfry scrimmage. Expect a substantial improvement by next Friday now that haywood knows what he is working with.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Heard Chase Maynard didn't play. Hopefully he will be able to go next week. Even though Thomas is back, it is pretty clear that we are going to need him to be "this year's Thomas"if that makes sense.

Heard it was 14-8 Hazard when Belfry started making wholesale changes. Other than that heard it was your run of the mill Belfry scrimmage, Haywood subbed liberally, Belfry ran mutliple plays and sets, timing was off, and the defense struggled with assignments.

Bucs also said that the Willis kid and the Carroll kid looked good, and that Belfry had some dropped passes.

All in all it was about what I expected from the first Belfry scrimmage. Expect a substantial improvement by next Friday now that haywood knows what he is working with.

Just to let everyone know, willis got seriouslly hurt during this game and it does not look good for him at all. From what I heard its something with the ACL type thing
Pond creek nation Wrote:Just to let everyone know, willis got seriouslly hurt during this game and it does not look good for him at all. From what I heard its something with the ACL type thing

That is bad news. I hope everything turns out better then expected. If Willi's family is reading this I implore you take him to Lexington to get checked out, [articularly to see either Dr. Ireland or Dr. Grant at Kentucky Sports Medicine.

When I was a Sophomore I was told by a local doctor who will remain nameless that I had an ACL tear, once I went to Lexington they found out it wasn't nearly as bad the original doctor's prognosis. It took a season ending injury and made it an injury that only kept me out for a couple months.
Dr. Ireland is one of the best.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I told you people Belfry will play 25 differnt
kids you will not know what they have
until they go to P-burg. Thats the coach
Haywood way.

Exactly. That's what scrimmages are for.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Nah, I think you are off a little Belfry hasn't played Pburg the past couple seasons Big Grin

I see you're still quite the charmer...

:biggrin:
this is the scrimmage I went to and Hazard looks good for their class, Belfry did their typical Haywood experiments on the field, a lot of adjustments and observations. I know Hazard seemed to play to win against the traditional powerhouse in front of their fans and forgot to really work a scrimmage as inteneded.
firechief Wrote:this is the scrimmage I went to and Hazard looks good for their class, Belfry did their typical Haywood experiments on the field, a lot of adjustments and observations. I know Hazard seemed to play to win against the traditional powerhouse in front of their fans and forgot to really work a scrimmage as inteneded.

Hazard did work it as a scrimmage and got to see two very good freshmen look good early.Hazard scrimmages at rockcastle next week and im excited to here how it goes as well. Joey Meehan will help the hazard passing game out tremendously when he is healthy and recoveries from his injury. Hazard should get a big boost in the running game as my cousin Mikael Campbell told me he just couldnt stomach the fact of standing on the other side of the fence watching the game and said he would be going back monday. So I am so excited to see him not make a mistake that he would regret for the rest of his life. I hope he isnt lying too me so if he is not lying I look forward to getting out and supporting the bulldogs as much as possible.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:That is bad news. I hope everything turns out better then expected. If Willi's family is reading this I implore you take him to Lexington to get checked out, [articularly to see either Dr. Ireland or Dr. Grant at Kentucky Sports Medicine.

When I was a Sophomore I was told by a local doctor who will remain nameless that I had an ACL tear, once I went to Lexington they found out it wasn't nearly as bad the original doctor's prognosis. It took a season ending injury and made it an injury that only kept me out for a couple months.

Willis will be going for a MRI on the knee this week to find out the extent of what is goin on with the knee. My son did the same thing last year but bounced back with a vengence and worked his butt off in rehab and PT. He (Willis) told me it "popped" and from everything I learned from my own experience with ACL/MCL that is a sign of a tear. I pray that he will be fine and they will treat it (which they already are) and get him better! I know Coach Haywood takes NO chances with injuries like that and he will make him follow Dr. orders!

(AND... for the record... (hehehe)... Mine didn't drop his pass but did score! Smile

*EKU
Send me your e-mail and I'll send you a few pix of the scrimmage

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
So who played what positions for Belfry? What type of formations/plays did Belfry focus on? I assume Thomas Varney played quarterback, how did he look? Why was Chase Maynard not suited up? How did the lines look for Belfry? More detail please guys.
bac2369 Wrote:Hazard did work it as a scrimmage and got to see two very good freshmen look good early.Hazard scrimmages at rockcastle next week and im excited to here how it goes as well. Joey Meehan will help the hazard passing game out tremendously when he is healthy and recoveries from his injury. Hazard should get a big boost in the running game as my cousin Mikael Campbell told me he just couldnt stomach the fact of standing on the other side of the fence watching the game and said he would be going back monday. So I am so excited to see him not make a mistake that he would regret for the rest of his life. I hope he isnt lying too me so if he is not lying I look forward to getting out and supporting the bulldogs as much as possible.

I sure hope that Mikey is back on the team tomorrow. I could tell that it was killing him standing there at the fence instead of being out on the field.
GO DAWGS!!!!
I certainly hope that Mikey has had a change of heart and will join the team on Monday. He is an excellent player and I expected this year to be his best season ever! Potentially great news for the Bulldogs!!
phs1986 Wrote:Willis will be going for a MRI on the knee this week to find out the extent of what is goin on with the knee. My son did the same thing last year but bounced back with a vengence and worked his butt off in rehab and PT. He (Willis) told me it "popped" and from everything I learned from my own experience with ACL/MCL that is a sign of a tear. I pray that he will be fine and they will treat it (which they already are) and get him better! I know Coach Haywood takes NO chances with injuries like that and he will make him follow Dr. orders!

(AND... for the record... (hehehe)... Mine didn't drop his pass but did score! Smile

*EKU
Send me your e-mail and I'll send you a few pix of the scrimmage

wheres mine,lol
PaytoPlay Wrote:So who played what positions for Belfry? What type of formations/plays did Belfry focus on? I assume Thomas Varney played quarterback, how did he look? Why was Chase Maynard not suited up? How did the lines look for Belfry? More detail please guys.

I dont know much on Belfrys behalf but Thomas Varney looked good in the quarterback position because of his runningback skills. I not sure how good the Chase kid is but if Varney plays Qb then i expect big things out of Belfry this year.
Hazard's team photos and some pics of the Hazard-Belfry scrimmage are located at this link thanks to smoothphoto....

http://www.smoothphoto.com/gallery/9256370_gnXA3#P-1-12
bac2369 Wrote:I dont know much on Belfrys behalf but Thomas Varney looked good in the quarterback position because of his runningback skills. I not sure how good the Chase kid is but if Varney plays Qb then i expect big things out of Belfry this year.

Maynard, IMO, will be one of the biggest surprises in the mountasins this year. The coaches tried to get him on the field as much as possible last season despite the already stacked backfield. He finished with almost 500 rushing yards on only 26 carries, he also had 8 TD's (that's a TD just over every 3 carries).

Haywood has to be very confident that Maynard will be a force at H or you would have never seen him move Varney to QB.

It is going to be a learning curve with Varney at QB, but he brings explosiveness to the position that they haven't had since Daniel Wright was QB some years back, except Varney is a better passer.
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:Hazard's team photos and some pics of the Hazard-Belfry scrimmage are located at this link thanks to smoothphoto....

http://www.smoothphoto.com/gallery/9256370_gnXA3#P-1-12

Thanks for sharing!
What was the first team backfield? How did the o-line perform?
go bulldogs !!!
well i looks like willis is out for the year, they say it was a tear on his acl,but dont know if he has to have surgery yet,he is a tough young man and will bouch back,my thoughts and prayers are with him for a speedy recovery