Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dayton 2009
Anyone have any insight on the Green Devils?
Two-way starter Buchanan adds first-team tailback to repertoire
By Marc Hardin • Enquirer contributor • July 26, 2009

• • Print • ShareThis • Type: A A • Click-2-Listen

One way to measure the desire of a football player, says Dayton coach Zach Deaton, is to see the lengths a player will go to improve his game.

Last season, Deaton watched two-way starter Derreck Buchanan take important strides in his development, so it wasn't a leap of faith when the coach decided to make Buchanan, now a senior, Dayton's starting tailback.

There are few Dayton players in which Deaton says he has more faith.

"The kid has done everything we've asked him," the coach said. "We didn't have a safety last year, so we moved him from his comfort zone at linebacker, and he turned into a good safety. This year, we have a safety, so we're moving Derreck back to outside linebacker. He's also going to run the ball and catch the ball a lot, so he's a pretty big part of this football team."

Dayton will field between 25 and 30 varsity players this season. Annually, the Greendevils are one of the smallest Class 1A football teams in the state, so it's incumbent upon Dayton coaches to maximize their players' versatility.

Buchanan's skills are far-ranging, in part because he's so willing - and able - to improve them.

"Football basically is my life," Buchanan said. "Every Friday night, I'm on the field every play, so I need to keep working as hard as I can."

Citing Buchanan's dedication, Deaton recalls a two-game road stretch during last season's 2-9 campaign. The Greendevils were off to a 0-3 start, with a pair of conquerable opponents - Ludlow and Lynn Camp - coming up on the schedule.

Dayton lost to Ludlow 28-27 in overtime after miscommunication at Buchanan's free safety position helped contribute to Ludlow's 27 yards per completion and three passing touchdowns.

During the ensuing week of practices, Deaton said Buchanan worked "like a man on a mission," and absorbed schematic details like never before.

"He felt personally responsible for a loss against a team he knows we should have beaten, even though he knows we lose as a team," Deaton said.

Against Lynn Camp, Buchanan was a one-man force during a second straight one-point loss, 14-13. He rushed for 84 yards on five carries and bolted for a 41-yard touchdown on a trap play. He also caught a pass for 13 yards that set up Dayton's other score, and totaled nine tackles.
Greendevils aim for improvement
By James Weber • [email]jweber@nky.com[/email] • August 18, 2009

• • Print • ShareThis • Type Size: A A

A 2-9 record last year has served as great motivation for the Dayton High School football team.

The Greendevils have a more veteran team than last season as they hope to make up for that lack of success.

"We have to win as a team," said senior lineman Anthony Cadle. "Last year we had a lot of individuals and a lack of leadership. This season I hope it all changes around, and through practices this summer, it looks like it has."

Cadle is one of three seniors on a veteran offensive line that has head coach Zach Deaton excited about the team's ability to score points. A.J. Skedel and Christian Lewallen are the other seniors.

"There are 10 seniors on this team," Cadle said. "Each one leads a different way, so I found my niche and they found their niche and together we make one great team."

Senior Patrick Schwierjohann takes over at quarterback. A big physical presence, he is a key leader of the team, Deaton said.

"I'm going to go out and do my job, help us win some games," Schwierjohann said. "We've got a strong running game, receivers, tight end. The offensive line does great."

Conner Lewis and Cody Turner are the top receivers. Chris Pompilio, a sophomore, returns at fullback.

A lot of those same players return on defense. Deaton said the defense is strongest up front and overall a lot quicker than last year.

Deaton wants the Greendevils to be better players as well.

"We've got the guys who have played last year, they just have to play consistently every week," Deaton said. "We should know what our plays are, what our assignments are, work on the little stuff and do that every week and get better every week."

Getting better every week is a matter of Dayton pride, said Cadle.

"You grow up in Dayton, you want to beat Bellevue," he said. "You walk around, you have everyone asking how is the game, how is the practice, you're getting bigger, are you starting. It's all about football around here."