•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley will Start Interviews 6/9
Guys, sorry to tell you that the guy they was going to announce turned it down.
And who would that have been?
I hope FD can coach football. Looks like he's going to have to be the new HC. LOL
Panther Thunder Wrote:I'm not an AD, but the season starts in about 2 months. It is almost the dead period. 7 on 7 is/ has been going on. SHOULDN'T THEY HIRE SOMEBODY?

C'mon this is SV football. Why is everyone so surprised that the powers that's be have failed to do what's in the football programs best interest? I guarantee if Coach Booher stepped down a month ago that a qualty b-ball coach would already be in place up there. But that's the difference between football and b-ball at SV.
Has Jaggers accepted the job yet?
who is jaggers?
bigperm47 Wrote:who is jaggers?
The coach from Mercer? I have no idea, but I know a Jaggers is there.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:C'mon this is SV football. Why is everyone so surprised that the powers that's be have failed to do what's in the football programs best interest? I guarantee if Coach Booher stepped down a month ago that a qualty b-ball coach would already be in place up there. But that's the difference between football and b-ball at SV.

The powers that be have made offers to a couple of very promising coaches and were rejected. With the basketball program at Shelby Valley if Booher stepped down QAULITY coaches from all over the state and out of state would be scrambling to even get their name on a list of applicants so no I don't think it would have taken nearly as long to find a basketball coach. It's much easier to find a qaulity coach for an established program than it is for a average program at best. Just as I am sure Pikeville would be able to find a better football coach than basketball coach. That's the difference between basketball and football at Pikeville. (or at least at one time, both of Pikeville's programs are currently average at best) Valleys problem is that it is so late in the year most coaches are not willing to leave their current team.
Again Valley Blue you are exactly RIGHT>>>>
Panther Thunder Wrote:The coach from Mercer? I have no idea, but I know a Jaggers is there.

Did he even apply for this job?
this process is a joke... congradulations valley on more than likely destroying what little program and respect u had gained...
ONE TOUGH COOKIE Wrote:Did he even apply for this job?

Actually, I think it's Marty's son, Josh. He's currently at LaRue County (4A) as an assistant and just was given the Defensive Coordinating responsibilities. I believe Josh was with his father for three years at Mercer after he finshed playing in college and was on the staff for Mercer's 2006 Class AA State Championship team.
I heard yesterday they are having problems finding anyone to accept the fb position at this time. They have tried to hire several qualified fb caoches but the coaches feel they are too close to season to come. Not enough time to prepare and get qualified assistants to help. My opinion SV has waited much too late to get someone at this time. So they will have to either plead with Roberts to take over or hire some of the local applicants.
What other choices are there now since practice begins in 1.5 weeks. What a shame to wait this long.....
Should have kept it local anyway. Too often coaches use jobs like this as stepping stones and move on shortly after. Put somebody in that will not use the program for their own ego but will take take pride and continue to build.
New O you are right in what you say. Many times coaches do this. Although Saunders did not need us as a steeping stone he has coached in large schools and in small. I think he never planned to stay because he never moved hereand had no ties here. I think it was just a place to coach at the time for him. So you are right most out of state coaches would not plan to stay here.
I believe Saunders was coaching in TN the year before he came to Valley. Valley was closer home for him as is his new school. Valley was probably the closest job to home that he could find when he came here, then other opportunities opened and he left. I think most coaches that jump from job to job are pumping up their egos and not really concerned about the schools or the kids.
You are right valley blue. Saunders was coaching in tn. Then here and I personally think he wanted to get back to Va. and coach. which is certaily understandable. That is where is from and his brother coaches at a school close to Gretna. At least that is what I heard. Makes sense to me. I agree with you about coaches who jump around. But if you look around at school records and coaches most do that. I think Sv was more of a landing spot for Saunders. Which again I think is understandable.
pikewildkat Wrote:You are right valley blue. Saunders was coaching in tn. Then here and I personally think he wanted to get back to Va. and coach. which is certaily understandable. That is where is from and his brother coaches at a school close to Gretna. At least that is what I heard. Makes sense to me. I agree with you about coaches who jump around. But if you look around at school records and coaches most do that. I think Sv was more of a landing spot for Saunders. Which again I think is understandable.

Hampton told me from day 1 Saunders would only be there a few years.
pikewildkat Wrote:You are right valley blue. Saunders was coaching in tn. Then here and I personally think he wanted to get back to Va. and coach. which is certaily understandable. That is where is from and his brother coaches at a school close to Gretna. At least that is what I heard. Makes sense to me. I agree with you about coaches who jump around. But if you look around at school records and coaches most do that. I think Sv was more of a landing spot for Saunders. Which again I think is understandable.

I don't think it is understandable. You should never go into a job with intentions of only staying a couple of years. You can't build a program in that short time and then when a new coach comes in the whole process has to restart. In my opinion if you don't intend to stay don't apply. I know there are circumstances when coaches have to leave but if you go into a job with the intention of leaving after two or three years then don't bother. It's not fair to the school or the kids. No job should be used as a landing spot.
Can't believe that they haven't hired anybody for this position yet.
Well I think it was for Saunders. I could be wrong but he only stayed three years and when he could get back to VA that is exactly what he did. Now I do think he left without enough time for us to find a coach and make the prep. to do so. That has left us in a bind to say the least. Some of it was the timimg and other is the fact that fb is not a priority here it seems. As fas as Saunders goes I liked him fine and I thought he did a great job with the kids.
So they are not close to hiring a coach yet.. That is a shame for those boys that do play football and for the SR its even worse.. I know we have went through this a couple of times in the last 8 years here at Lawrence Co.. But the wait was worth it for us here..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
So, has Shelby Valley not hired a football coach yet?
I think its time for the Pike Co. Board folks to find some young hungry assistant coach. He's gonna need the energy to mkae up for lost time while this process has drug on. I bet the folks in Owensville and P-burg are watching this show and shaking their heads. What was to be a three way fight for the district title has narrowed to two due to this mess.
new o Wrote:Should have kept it local anyway. Too often coaches use jobs like this as stepping stones and move on shortly after. Put somebody in that will not use the program for their own ego but will take take pride and continue to build.

True, and it's not just at SV. If you look back through the last 10 years of the Pike Co. schools football programs, you'll find hardly anyone stays. The exception is, of course, Haywood at Belfry. I think MacNamee may be 2nd on the list with 5 years in at Pikeville. After that, it's pretty grim. None of the schools will ever develop much of a program in just a couple of years. If you look at most of the successful programs in eastern Ky, their coaches have stayed around to build. Belfry, JC, Prestonsburg, Breathitt, Hazard, Lawrence Co.(at one time), Russell, Bell, etc. There is definitely a connection to success and longevity. Now, the trick is to try to find a "keeper" willing to stay.
Bottom Line: IT's horribly sad that 16 SENIORS have no head coach on JULY 1.
The Board of Education could not speak louder if they screamed. The powers that be do not care about this program.

And, frankly, as a die-hard Valley fan for 18 years, I am mad and disgusted, but not surprised.

Booooo!
This is getting ridiculous. Is there no one willing to take this job is there any one that can give us some insight?
This is a joke!

Principal and AD should answer for this.
5timechamp Wrote:This is a joke!

someone needs to
5timechamp Wrote:This is a joke!

Offers have been made to some exceptional coaches but have been turned down. If you want to blame someone, blame Saunders for leaving the team and the school high and dry this late in the season. I liked Saunders but that was low. I realize he is trying to get closer home and all but he could have given some warning. I am sure he had been job prospecting since he arrived at Valley. At this point the best thing they can do is convince Roberts to take it or either make him interim and get him some help. Head coaches that have been offered wouldn't come because it was too late in the season. They have character to do that.
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next