Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 teams in the 10th region
How would you rate the top 5 teams in the 10th region for the coming year.
Gold Charger Wrote:How would you rate the top 5 teams in the 10th region for the coming year.

1. GRC
2. Mason County
3. Montgomery County
4. Scott High
5. The rest will be happy to make region

GRC and Mason County are way above everyone else in talent.
kentuckynole Wrote:1. GRC
2. Mason County
3. Montgomery County
4. Scott High
5. The rest will be happy to make region

GRC and Mason County are way above everyone else in talent.

I would rate Scott above Montgomery. Montgomery lost alot to graduation last year. Crisp is returning, other positions lack experience and also depth. Montgomery has some young talent coming up, but will be a couple of years away from being a contender in the 10th.

GRC should be the favorite and rated in the top 5 in the state. Mason, with Setty, Barner, and Pawsat will have a competitive team.
Gold Charger Wrote:I would rate Scott above Montgomery. Montgomery lost alot to graduation last year. Crisp is returning, other positions lack experience and also depth. Montgomery has some young talent coming up, but will be a couple of years away from being a contender in the 10th.

GRC should be the favorite and rated in the top 5 in the state. Mason, with Setty, Barner, and Pawsat will have a competitive team.

Scott also graduated alot of talent this year but they do have some talent coming up.
BaseballIsLife Wrote:Scott also graduated alot of talent this year but they do have some talent coming up.

They return more than one starter, why I would put them above Montgomery Co.
I do not think anyone will touch GRC in this region.

It's defiantly theirs to lose.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I do not think anyone will touch GRC in this region.

That may not be true, they lost Williams (pg) and Hatton(sg and backup pg) last year and this year they don't have an experienced point guard. I've also heard through the grapevine, that Purvis may be transferring to another school in Lexington. (Not going to say which one).

If a team pressures the current point guards, GRC will struggle; especially a full-court press. GRC is not a quick athletic team. Daniels is the most athletic player they have and Robinson is a beast underneath.

Mason Co. will be strong with the return of Barner, Pawsatt, Setty and Gilbert. If Mason Co. has Pawsatt play the post and Barner play the wing, they will be much better, in my opinion. Barner is not a post player, he can slash to the basket and is very athletic. Setty can shoot the three and Gilbert is a young but a very experienced point guard.

I'm going to step out on a limb and predict this......

1. Mason Co.
2. GRC
3. Scott
4. Montgomery
5. Campbell Co.

Agreed. GRC is a very talented team.
goodguy Wrote:That may not be true, they lost Williams (pg) and Hatton(sg and backup pg) last year and this year they don't have an experienced point guard. I've also heard through the grapevine, that Purvis may be transferring to another school in Lexington. (Not going to say which one).

If a team pressures the current point guards, GRC will struggle; especially a full-court press. GRC is not a quick athletic team. Daniels is the most athletic player they have and Robinson is a beast underneath.

Mason Co. will be strong with the return of Barner, Pawsatt, Setty and Gilbert. If Mason Co. has Pawsatt play the post and Barner play the wing, they will be much better, in my opinion. Barner is not a post player, he can slash to the basket and is very athletic. Setty can shoot the three and Gilbert is a young but a very experienced point guard.

I'm going to step out on a limb and predict this......

1. Mason Co.
2. GRC
3. Scott
4. Montgomery
5. Campbell Co.

GRC dosn't have a Robinson on their team.

Boy, you are going out on a limb saying Mason is #1 in the 10th. :dontthink

I think Mason will be competitive, but a healthy GRC should win the 10th.
I really doubt that Purvis is transferring as he has been at the YMCA everyday and he will start next year. The biggest problem with GRC is finding a point guard this year which will be between Stenzel's younger brother, Smith, Kindred, and Brewer if he can handle it.
They will have to be able to handle the press this year as they could not handle it last year.
I believe you are referring to Rogers as a beast down low instead of Robinson.
The 10th region title will be either GRC or Mason County don't think anyone else has the talent to win it.
Gold Charger Wrote:GRC dosn't have a Robinson on their team.

Sorry, I meant Cory Rogers.

They are missing the most important position on the floor.....an experienced point guard.
The 10th region title will be won by either Mason Co or GRC. Obviously GRC should the be the favorite with Zollo, Stenzel, Rogers, and Purvis, but I think Mason Co is right there with them.

Athletic teams with some size will give GRC some fits next year, as well as teams who are quick and like to press. As someone already stated in an earlier post, GRC isn't very athletic or quick and really struggled against the press last year.

Barner, Pawsatt, Setty, and Gilbert is a very good nucleus to surround young talent with. My top 5 would be:

1a. GRC
1b. Mason Co
3. Scott
4. Montgomery Co
5. Campbell Co/Bishop Brossart

I disagree with this. GRC will be good next year, but not heads and shoulders above the rest, like some think. Mason Co will be right there with them.

Gold Charger Wrote:GRC dosn't have a Robinson on their team.

I agree GRC should win the region, but Mason Co will be more than just competitive. They are a legit top 20 team next year. People said the same thing last year about MC and GRC being such a big favorite and we all saw how that ended up. I think it's a two horse race for getting back to Rupp and both teams are a lot closer than some think.
kywldcat01 Wrote:The 10th region title will be won by either Mason Co or GRC. Obviously GRC should the be the favorite with Zollo, Stenzel, Rogers, and Purvis, but I think Mason Co is right there with them.

Athletic teams with some size will give GRC some fits next year, as well as teams who are quick and like to press. As someone already stated in an earlier post, GRC isn't very athletic or quick and really struggled against the press last year.

Barner, Pawsatt, Setty, and Gilbert is a very good nucleus to surround young talent with. My top 5 would be:

1a. GRC
1b. Mason Co
3. Scott
4. Montgomery Co
5. Campbell Co/Bishop Brossart

Heard Barner had gone back to Bryan Station, he is not playing team ball with them this summer and has been seen in Lexington.

kywldcat01 Wrote:I disagree with this. GRC will be good next year, but not heads and shoulders above the rest, like some think. Mason Co will be right there with them.

I agree GRC should win the region, but Mason Co will be more than just competitive. They are a legit top 20 team next year. People said the same thing last year about MC and GRC being such a big favorite and we all saw how that ended up. I think it's a two horse race for getting back to Rupp and both teams are a lot closer than some think.

What you are not stating is that GRC was VERY banged up in the final game of the region. Zollo could hardly walk and Rogers could not see with the mask on. A healthy GRC team would have beat Mason Co by 15+ last year in the finals of the region.
I disagree don't think Mason will be a top 20 team next year.
Gold Charger Wrote:Heard Barner had gone back to Bryan Station, he is not playing team ball with them this summer and has been seen in Lexington.

What you are not stating is that GRC was VERY banged up in the final game of the region. Zollo could hardly walk and Rogers could not see with the mask on. A healthy GRC team would have beat Mason Co by 15+ last year in the finals of the region.
I disagree don't think Mason will be a top 20 team next year.

Haven't heard anything about Barner leaving, but you may be right.

Sure GRC was banged up...but you can't use that as an excuse. Injuries happen all the time. I agree GRC would have probably won the region as a healthy team, but they also blew a double digit lead....couldn't handle the pressure when MC started pressing. That's going to be a weakness of GRC again this year because they lack athleticism.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Haven't heard anything about Barner leaving, but you may be right.

Sure GRC was banged up...but you can't use that as an excuse. Injuries happen all the time. I agree GRC would have probably won the region as a healthy team, but they also blew a double digit lead....couldn't handle the pressure when MC started pressing. That's going to be a weakness of GRC again this year because they lack athleticism.

Not using as a excuse, it is a fact. Yes injuries do happen. Look at Scott Co and Richie Phares. Holmes may not be the state champs now if Phares had not gotten hurt. Injuries for Scott Co was a advantage to the 11th region teams and also could have made a difference in the state tourney. Just as GRC being injuried and Mason taking advantage of that in the second half. Not being 100% showed for GRC in the second half. Do you not think that Purvis would have made a huge difference? I hope that none of your team members are injuried this year, as you would be singing a different tune.
Gold Charger Wrote:Not using as a excuse, it is a fact. Yes injuries do happen. Look at Scott Co and Richie Phares. Holmes may not be the state champs now if Phares had not gotten hurt. Injuries for Scott Co was a advantage to the 11th region teams and also could have made a difference in the state tourney. Just as GRC being injuried and Mason taking advantage of that in the second half. Not being 100% showed for GRC in the second half. Do you not think that Purvis would have made a huge difference? I hope that none of your team members are injuried this year, as you would be singing a different tune.

Injuries was a issue but the main reason GRC lost was because of their inability to handle the press. Purvis being there would have helped but he couldn't handle the ball either.
GRC dominated the first half because they handle the press in the 2nd half they fell apart because they made too many turnovers.
kentuckynole Wrote:Injuries was a issue but the main reason GRC lost was because of their inability to handle the press. Purvis being there would have helped but he couldn't handle the ball either.
GRC dominated the first half because they handle the press in the 2nd half they fell apart because they made too many turnovers.

Do you not think that the 2 high ankel sprains to Hatton had a major role in his performance in the second half? Also with GRC height you don't have to dribble up the floor to break the press, use your big men and pass. That too was a problem, due to injuries. Can turnovers be a cause of not being able to move, cut and drive if you were not 100%?
Clark should win it, but don't be surprised if Mason has a great game and pulls the upset in the region.
HollaBack Wrote:Clark should win it, but don't be surprised if Mason has a great game and pulls the upset in the region.

Both teams have to get to the finals first.
Gold Charger Wrote:Not using as a excuse, it is a fact. Yes injuries do happen. Look at Scott Co and Richie Phares. Holmes may not be the state champs now if Phares had not gotten hurt. Injuries for Scott Co was a advantage to the 11th region teams and also could have made a difference in the state tourney. Just as GRC being injuried and Mason taking advantage of that in the second half. Not being 100% showed for GRC in the second half. Do you not think that Purvis would have made a huge difference? I hope that none of your team members are injuried this year, as you would be singing a different tune.

Didn't Holmes dominate SC earlier in the year WITH Phares in the lineup? Pretty sure they did.

I agree that injuries happen and hurt GRC's chances at winning the region. Heck, I've said time and time again that Purvis would have made them a legit team to cut down the nets last year. My originally point was to let you know that I think you're underestimating Mason Co big tim.

GRC will be loaded next year, but don't think that MC won't be standing in the way of them getting to Rupp. BTW, Elijah Pittman played last year with a bad wrist the last part of the season and not once did I use that as an excuse as to why Holmes had a close game, or why he didn't play well in spurts, etc.
Gold Charger Wrote:Do you not think that the 2 high ankel sprains to Hatton had a major role in his performance in the second half? Also with GRC height you don't have to dribble up the floor to break the press, use your big men and pass. That too was a problem, due to injuries. Can turnovers be a cause of not being able to move, cut and drive if you were not 100%?

If Hatton had 2 high ankle sprains from the first half he would not have been playing. High ankle sprains can be very serious and usually they have to sit out for 2 to 4 weeks.

The first half they got the ball in middle of the court and pushed the ball. The 2nd half the big men were waiting for the traps and turning the ball over. GRC slowed the pace down and IMO it hurt them.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Didn't Holmes dominate SC earlier in the year WITH Phares in the lineup? Pretty sure they did.

I agree that injuries happen and hurt GRC's chances at winning the region. Heck, I've said time and time again that Purvis would have made them a legit team to cut down the nets last year. My originally point was to let you know that I think you're underestimating Mason Co big tim.

GRC will be loaded next year, but don't think that MC won't be standing in the way of them getting to Rupp. BTW, Elijah Pittman played last year with a bad wrist the last part of the season and not once did I use that as an excuse as to why Holmes had a close game, or why he didn't play well in spurts, etc.

Not underestimating Mason, they usually play their best games against GRC.

You were not a member here till after ball season, so I have no record of what you have said. And someone being hurt, is not an excuse, it is just fact.

kentuckynole Wrote:If Hatton had 2 high ankle sprains from the first half he would not have been playing. High ankle sprains can be very serious and usually they have to sit out for 2 to 4 weeks.

The first half they got the ball in middle of the court and pushed the ball. The 2nd half the big men were waiting for the traps and turning the ball over. GRC slowed the pace down and IMO it hurt them.

No if, Hatton had two high ankel sprains. You do not know the determination and heart this kid has. Most other players in his position, would not have played.

Agree on the second half, it looked like they were playing, not to lose, instead of playing to win.