Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnny Martin New Head Coach at Pike Central
I think it's great that johnny martin gets to coach pike central.
Word is, Amburgey brought 3 recruits from Knott to play at PC with the team. IF they do transfer, thats a good solid 10. Rather than last years solid 5
so the starting five will be a 2 seniors, 2 juniors, and a sophomore if im correct? without the trasfers from kcc
If...Then Wrote:Word is, Amburgey brought 3 recruits from Knott to play at PC with the team. IF they do transfer, thats a good solid 10. Rather than last years solid 5

Pike Central has enough talent at the school to be competitive in the region without the new coaches bringing players in from wherever. It would not be fair to the players at PC for others to come in and play over them. It would cause more contraversy and the school does not need anymore. These coaches need to work with the boys they have and not cause more conflict among the players. They must pull these young men together and get them playing as a team if they want to turn things around.
B-Ball#1TheFan Wrote:Pike Central has enough talent at the school to be competitive in the region without the new coaches bringing players in from wherever. It would not be fair to the players at PC for others to come in and play over them. It would cause more contraversy and the school does not need anymore. These coaches need to work with the boys they have and not cause more conflict among the players. They must pull these young men together and get them playing as a team if they want to turn things around.

My opinion is some of the returning players conflict will be that they aren't talented enough to play at the level PC played from '93 to '07. One way to stay "together" is pick up a ball and play some before October then a transfer doesn't take your spot. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get even more Crowder...uhh..I mean crowded on the PC team...:eyeroll:
Salimander Wrote:Like it better than two years of 22 wins and 47 losses

69 games in two seasons???
I seriously doubt anyone would transfer from Knott Central.
Good Luck Johnny!!! Glad to see him come to PCC
Chuck Taylor Wrote:69 games in two seasons???

22-39....sorry..as if it makes much difference.
Salimander Wrote:My opinion is some of the returning players conflict will be that they aren't talented enough to play at the level PC played from '93 to '07. One way to stay "together" is pick up a ball and play some before October then a transfer doesn't take your spot. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get even more Crowder...uhh..I mean crowded on the PC team...:eyeroll:

The players are talented enough. The coaching staff was the problem. They might have known how to play basketball but sure could not coach/teach the game. The boys are having open gym at least the ones that are not playing other sports and some of them have been playing at the YMCA, etc. Transfers will cause more trouble and as for "Crowder" would be the worse thing that could happen to PC, IMO.
WOW, Salimander, your view of the level of basketball that PC played from '93 to '07 sure does differ from mine!! How many regional tournaments did they win? Someone told me the other day that one year they only won 2 games and another year they only won 4 games, and this occurred sometime from '93 to '07.
Salimander Wrote:22-39....sorry..as if it makes much difference.

Agree. Neither are great records...
I Cant Wait To See What Happens
"pup"
IS ONE IF NOT THE BEST COACH IN THIS PART OF THE STATE, I WISH THE BEST TO MARK THOMPSON AND HOPE HE CONTINUES ON WITH HIS DREAMS AND DOES WELL WHERE EVER LIFE TAKES HIM!!!

:Thumbs: [MYSPACE][/MYSPACE]
B-Ball#1TheFan Wrote:The players are talented enough. The coaching staff was the problem. They might have known how to play basketball but sure could not coach/teach the game. The boys are having open gym at least the ones that are not playing other sports and some of them have been playing at the YMCA, etc. Transfers will cause more trouble and as for "Crowder" would be the worse thing that could happen to PC, IMO.

I might be wrong- but I think if the Crowder's were going to leave AC they would have left already. I fully expect them to be wearing Rebels across their chests when football season opens. I'm sure they would love to play for Johnny again, and no doubt Johnny would be more than happy to have them. But I just don't see them walking away from Allen Central Football. These boys and their class of 2010 teammates have played a major role in turning Allen Central Football in the right direction and I expect to watch them finish their high school football career as Rebels.
this was not a good hire johnny martin won one title at ac and if the game was not on there home floor they would have not done that, the guy that coaches the girls is very smart and seems to know the game, coach fields is who the players wanted, seems to me happy players win games if PC don't hire Fields as boys head coach in the next 2 years they will lose him.
Former-Coach Wrote:WOW, Salimander, your view of the level of basketball that PC played from '93 to '07 sure does differ from mine!! How many regional tournaments did they win? Someone told me the other day that one year they only won 2 games and another year they only won 4 games, and this occurred sometime from '93 to '07.

Since inception in '93 to '07 (14 years)---- 3 Regional Runners Up, 8 District Titles ( both 59th and 60th combined) 4 district Runners Up, Four 20 win seasons, Three 19 win seasons, ONE losing record (6-22). "View" it however you want, but there is no comparison to this and the last two years at PC. And over a 14 year period, it stacks up just fine...especially for a school with no home gym the first four years.
nature boy Wrote:this was not a good hire johnny martin won one title at ac and if the game was not on there home floor they would have not done that, the guy that coaches the girls is very smart and seems to know the game, coach fields is who the players wanted, seems to me happy players win games if PC don't hire Fields as boys head coach in the next 2 years they will lose him.

Lose him to where? Girls team under .500 and BARELY made it region.
once again saill you are wrong they were 500 14-14 played one of the toughest schedules in the state which included clarkrange tn state champion and north hardin who pc out played for 3 quarters and lost by 10 pc played 12 straight road games i think try before you knock it.
Salimander Wrote:Since inception in '93 to '07 (14 years)---- 3 Regional Runners Up, 8 District Titles ( both 59th and 60th combined) 4 district Runners Up, Four 20 win seasons, Three 19 win seasons, ONE losing record (6-22). "View" it however you want, but there is no comparison to this and the last two years at PC. And over a 14 year period, it stacks up just fine...especially for a school with no home gym the first four years.

hate to correct you because it looks like you did a little bit of homework, or rattled things off the top of your head and got a few things incorrect. They have only had one 20 win season my senior year 2006.

One season they went 2 and 15 in 97-98 very untalented team the only team worse that season was Millard.

The next seasonthe 98-99 it was a drastic turn around the team excelled and truly over excelled and beat a very talented Johnson Central team on their home court only to lose to Pikeville the following night in the regional championship. Lost to Pikeville 5 times that season if im correct.

They have had i think 5 losing seasons. 3 of those being the past 3 years.
nature boy Wrote:this was not a good hire johnny martin won one title at ac and if the game was not on there home floor they would have not done that, the guy that coaches the girls is very smart and seems to know the game, coach fields is who the players wanted, seems to me happy players win games if PC don't hire Fields as boys head coach in the next 2 years they will lose him.

Martin is a good coach however I too think the school could have done better. They settled for Martin when they had someone that wanted the job already in the Pike Co. School System ready to start coaching, Gary Fields. The boys responded well to him and liked him and wanted him for their head coach. Fields won't leave the PC Girls job unless a head coaching position for varsity boys somewhere comes along then you are right they will lose him.
Actually Pike Central has had some very good seasons in the past. David Rowe was responsible for most of that success. Martin's system calls for good offensive players with speed. Does PC have those type players returning?
new o Wrote:Actually Pike Central has had some very good seasons in the past. David Rowe was responsible for most of that success. Martin's system calls for good offensive players with speed. Does PC have those type players returning?

Rowe did have good success, wish he had not stepped down when he did.

As for returning players with speed, yes. PC will have some very quick guard/forward players returning. Should be quick on defense with Seal & McCoy returning. Rumor is Brandon Boyd & Aaron McGuire are coming back out to play next year which will help in the guard position. Cory Tackett will be back at over 6'3" - 6'4" and can play any position and can shoot well from the 3 point line. Also some returning big men with Cody Coleman & Tyler Raznick. Not to mention freshmen stepping up as well as new freshmen i'm not sure about. And of course the rumors of transfers from other schools.

I think if the boys respond well to Martins coaching style and come together as a team they will be a contender in the region.
B-Ball#1TheFan Wrote:Martin is a good coach however I too think the school could have done better. They settled for Martin when they had someone that wanted the job already in the Pike Co. School System ready to start coaching, Gary Fields. The boys responded well to him and liked him and wanted him for their head coach. Fields won't leave the PC Girls job unless a head coaching position for varsity boys somewhere comes along then you are right they will lose him.

If they thought Fields would be the best candidate, they would have hired him.
NEXT Wrote:If they thought Fields would be the best candidate, they would have hired him.

IMO, Fields would have been the better choice. Two years ago when he was assistant varsity and JV coach under Thompson. The JV only lost 1 or 2 games and those were when Fields had to be away because he also coached Mullins Junior High Team and Thompson coached the JV and lost. The boys that will be 11th & 12th grade next year were the guys he coached as freshmen & sophmores. They liked Fields and responded well to his coaching/teaching.
B-Ball#1TheFan Wrote:IMO, Fields would have been the better choice. Two years ago when he was assistant varsity and JV coach under Thompson. The JV only lost 1 or 2 games and those were when Fields had to be away because he also coached Mullins Junior High Team and Thompson coached the JV and lost. The boys that will be 11th & 12th grade next year were the guys he coached as freshmen & sophmores. They liked Fields and responded well to his coaching/teaching.

JV is a totally different animal.

He might end up being a great coach, because he knows the game, but from what I have been told his personality is more suited to the girls game.
God luck to coach martin.
Fields over Martin........not yet. Martin is a proven winner and not just at AC. He also took Sheldonclark to the regional finals in 78 or 79. It is so much easier coaching JV than varsity. You do not get fired for losing a JV game.
new o Wrote:Fields over Martin........not yet. Martin is a proven winner and not just at AC. He also took Sheldonclark to the regional finals in 78 or 79. It is so much easier coaching JV than varsity. You do not get fired for losing a JV game.
At Allen Central you get fired for back to back winning seasons with 20+ wins a year, back to back district championships and a good run in the region. If I'm not mistaken Johnny Martin has had very few seasons with losing records. Pike Central made a good hire with Coach Martin- if his players will listen and give him 100% you will see the results.
You got that right gotcha they have let alot of people go thru-out coaching all sports that have had winning seasons basball let ronnie patton go after he had the best ever season at achs history lol football done the same with a good coach track lost dewey jamerson which was awesome when he was there and now johnny martin lol the board needs to get control of that school before it folds with lack of students due to sports lol