Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2009-2010
With the hiring of Rick Mounts as head coach and David Hatfield as assistant coach, there is once again a lot of excitment and anticipation for the upcoming season instead of dread. Also, you will have players that were a part of back-to-back-to-back Pike County Championships with a Mountain Middle School championship thrown in there.

IMO, barring injuries, Belfry will be in the running for a 15th Region Championship in 2009-2010.

Any thoughts or predictions?
I think the girls will like and play for these 2 men and they should have a bunch of talent. But, you still have a man with no basketball coaching experience being assisted by the worst boys' basketball coach to ever coach at Belfry. But, both are buddies of Rod Varney, the Principal. Time will tell. Good luck Lady Pirates!
Momma Madea Wrote:I think the girls will like and play for these 2 men and they should have a bunch of talent. But, you still have a man with no basketball coaching experience being assisted by the worst boys' basketball coach to ever coach at Belfry. But, both are buddies of Rod Varney, the Principal. Time will tell. Good luck Lady Pirates!

The assistant coach you are talking about won 3 WV state championship's. So I don't know how you can say he was the worse coach ever. There were several obstacles at Belfry, he just wasn't able to overcome. As for the Head Coach how do you know he doesn't have any experience, have you talked to him in person about his experience. He has coached more basketball than volleyball, and you can see how well the volleyball team has done. So before you go posting things like this do your research.
kittykat Wrote:The assistant coach you are talking about won 3 WV state championship's. So I don't know how you can say he was the worse coach ever. There were several obstacles at Belfry, he just wasn't able to overcome. As for the Head Coach how do you know he doesn't have any experience, have you talked to him in person about his experience. He has coached more basketball than volleyball, and you can see how well the volleyball team has done. So before you go posting things like this do your research.

I totally agree, I think both of these coaches are great for the program...I think it will be a fun season for the girls, both are great coaches and great all around guys...just what those girls need. I know the girls are excited about getting started.
kittykat Wrote:The assistant coach you are talking about won 3 WV state championship's. So I don't know how you can say he was the worse coach ever. There were several obstacles at Belfry, he just wasn't able to overcome. As for the Head Coach how do you know he doesn't have any experience, have you talked to him in person about his experience. He has coached more basketball than volleyball, and you can see how well the volleyball team has done. So before you go posting things like this do your research.

I know the long history of both, believe me.

Class championships in WV are not compararble to KY basketball. I said worst at Belfry, not Williamson.

No high school head coaching experience, maybe some assisting, maybe some little league or AAU.

Like I said, TIME will tell.

I have been researching probably longer than you have been alive LOL.
That makes me TOTALLY ENTITLED TO MY OWN OPINIONS AND OBSERVATIONS.
If you know the long history of both of them then you should know that they are going to be great for the program. I don't know what you have against them but you really need to give them a chance.

Very well stated, kittykat. You took the words right out of my mouth. I was getting on here to post just that.
Momma Madea Wrote:I know the long history of both, believe me.

Class championships in WV are not compararble to KY basketball. I said worst at Belfry, not Williamson.

No high school head coaching experience, maybe some assisting, maybe some little league or AAU.

You are correct, right now WV basketball is not comparable to KY. However, at the time that David Hatfield won 3 state championships, it was.

You're are right though...TIME will tell and I have a feeling you may have to eat a little crow on this one. At this age (girls), a coach that is a great motivator and has the respect of the players means a lot. I think this will be a well disciplined and well-conditioned team that loves to play basketball. In high school sports, that can take you a long way.
I'm sure Rick will do fine.He was a good basketball player @ Phelps,he coached baseball really well there also.Look what he has done for the Lady Pirates Volleyball program.I personally look forward to watching them play,they had some good talent this year,those girls will be back and maybe some who chose not to play last year. Good luck to Rick & the Lady Pirates
I thought he should have been an assistant this year. If he would have been a lot of the girls that didn't play would have. Respect is something that is earned and he has earned that amongst the girls in his volleyball program and the results show.
ImagineThat! Wrote:You are correct, right now WV basketball is not comparable to KY. However, at the time that David Hatfield won 3 state championships, it was.

You're are right though...TIME will tell and I have a feeling you may have to eat a little crow on this one. At this age (girls), a coach that is a great motivator and has the respect of the players means a lot. I think this will be a well disciplined and well-conditioned team that loves to play basketball. In high school sports, that can take you a long way.

Very well said...Imagine That...

I believe we should show our support, the Lady Pirates will be just fine...
ImagineThat! Wrote:With the hiring of Rick Mounts as head coach and David Hatfield as assistant coach, there is once again a lot of excitment and anticipation for the upcoming season instead of dread. Also, you will have players that were a part of back-to-back-to-back Pike County Championships with a Mountain Middle School championship thrown in there.

IMO, barring injuries, Belfry will be in the running for a 15th Region Championship in 2009-2010.
Any thoughts or predictions?

Momma Madea Wrote:I know the long history of both, believe me.

ImagineThat! Wrote:You are correct, right now WV basketball is not comparable to KY. However, at the time that David Hatfield won 3 state championships, it was.

I'm not normally one to say I told you so, but I TOLD YOU SO!!!

I was wondering if Momma Madea would like some salt or pepper with that crow.

Win or lose tomorrow night, Coach Mounts, Coach Hatfield and the Lady Pirates have shown the 15th region that they are back. Great Job!!! We're proud of you! Good Luck!!