Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Is The Greatest Team Ever In The Mountains?
While Getting A Hair Cut Recently. Some Of My Friends Were Debating Who Is The Greatest Football Team To Ever Come Out Of Eastern Kentucky. Who Do You Think It Is?
'87 Pikeville Panthers would be near the top of that list.
IRISH4 Wrote:'87 Pikeville Panthers would be near the top of that list.

Not sure I would put them near the top....................they would actually be at the top alone because ive not seen one mountain team in 25-30 years that could have stayed within 2 touchdowns of the '87 Panthers. FWIW, im not even a Pikeville fan and it hurts to say it but believe me when I say its a no brainer.

I would have to agree.

As a Belfry fan I will say that I completely and utterly agree with this statement.

That '87 team is on a different level of the Belfry's, Breathitt's, and Bell County teams of the past 20 years who have all won championships.
Any stats from the 87 panthers? I know they won state
Pond creek nation Wrote:Any stats from the 87 panthers? I know they won state

3 1000 rushers in the backfield

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but they had something like 10 players who were either 1st team, 2nd team or honorable mention All State

Rated #1 team in the state all classes by Dave "I hate any sports team east of Lexington" Cantral.LOL!

Only mountain team ever to be ranked in The USA Today top 25

7 members of that team would sign with D1 or D1AA schools
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:3 1000 rushers in the backfield

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but they had something like 10 players who were either 1st team, 2nd team or honorable mention All State

Rated #1 team in the state all classes by Dave "I hate any sports team east of Lexington" Cantral.LOL!

Only mountain team ever to be ranked in The USA Today top 25

7 members of that team would sign with D1 or D1AA schools

Very fun team to watch play the game of football.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Very fun team to watch play the game of football.

My neighbor tells the story that while driving back home from Pikevilles win @Beechwood in the playoffs that year he was listening to a sports call in show on some Northern KY station. None other than NFL Hall Of Famer Anthony Munoz called in to the show to say that he was at the Pikeville/Beechwood game and just watched the best high school football team he'd ever seen.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:My neighbor tells the story that while driving back home from Pikevilles win @Beechwood in the playoffs that year he was listening to a sports call in show on some Northern KY station. None other than NFL Hall Of Famer Anthony Munoz called in to the show to say that he was at the Pikeville/Beechwood game and just watched the best high school football team he'd ever seen.

Wow! Never knew that. That is impressive for a NFL Hall of Famer to say that.
Looks like the program has REALLY droped off
Pond creek nation Wrote:Looks like the program has REALLY dropped off

Every Program will have its down years but Pikeville will be back one day maybe not to this level but they will be back.
I believe its pretty much unanimous.. 87' Pikeville Panthers
Pond creek nation Wrote:Looks like the program has REALLY droped off

Every program goes through down times. Belfry went through it in the '90s and they came back better than ever. It won't be long before were back where we belong.
Hands down the 87 and 88 teams at Pikeville were the best teams to come from the mountains. Those were my heroes that I strived to be when I was younger. Now I am friends with some of them and we share a special Pikeville football bond that is unbreakable.
I would think you would have to consider Bell of 08. 8 shutouts, 15-0 record, and State Champions. They had a lot of injuries to overcame. Most of those kids were 3-4 year starters and were a few fumbles away from being 2 time state champs.

87 Pikeville is hard to argue with. Seen them up close and personal a few times.

What about the Lynch Bulldogs pretty hard to beat those credintals?
I think some of Breathitts teams in the mid-90's were in the mix. With that streak they went on, they have to be somewhere near the top.
What about belfry in 2003 or 2004?
C.Clair Wrote:I think some of Breathitts teams in the mid-90's were in the mix. With that streak they went on, they have to be somewhere near the top.

Definately towards the top but nowhere close to that Pikeville team.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Definately towards the top but nowhere close to that Pikeville team.

i agree '87 Panthers were completely unstopable!!
Pond creek nation Wrote:What about belfry in 2003 or 2004?

Not anywhere close to that Pikeville team as well.

I would put them right there with the 2008 Bell County team (the question has to be asked would Bell have won the state title if it were still 4 classes?) That Belfry team may have had the best backfield to ever come out of the mountains, and one of the best all time in the state of Kentucky. But, the 87 Pikeville team and the previously mentioned Breathitt teams of the 90's, as well as the legendary Lynch and Corbin (Steve Bird) teams probably rank ahead of them.

Another team worth mentioning is that Middlesboro State Champion team from the 90's. That team had to be good to win a title in spite of Coach Roark (notoriously poor as a big game coach).

Breathitt's 2002 State Champs also would bright there just behind those Belfry teams.
anybody got pictures or a video of the 87 panthers? If you do post it on here!
TRAIN85 Wrote:Hands down the 87 and 88 teams at Pikeville were the best teams to come from the mountains. Those were my heroes that I strived to be when I was younger. Now I am friends with some of them and we share a special Pikeville football bond that is unbreakable.

I hear you Bro. they were & are my favorite of all time! I was at every game during that time. It would be safe to say , when you left the game after it was over , you would be ---- mesmerized---- !!!!!! Hopefully we will be back to those GLORY DAYS soon!
I'll go as far as to say that the '87 team wasn't only the best to come out of the mountains but also one the best to ever come out of this state. I'm not sayin they were better than some of the great St.X, Trinity, or Highlands teams....but I wouldn't bet against them either.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I'll go as far as to say that the '87 team wasn't only the best to come out of the mountains but also one the best to ever come out of this state. I'm not sayin they were better than some of the great St.X, Trinity, or Highlands teams....but I wouldn't bet against them either.

I would back you up on this.
Me too.
:Thumbs:
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:My neighbor tells the story that while driving back home from Pikevilles win @Beechwood in the playoffs that year he wastening to a sports call in show on some Northern KY station. None other th NFL Hall Of Famer Anthony Munoz called in to the show to say that he was at the Pikeville/Beechwood game and just watched the best high school football team he'd ever seen.

This is correct H.P. i have heard this told many times and have read this in People Magazines' ' Boys of Summer' 1988 edition e.
1. Outscored regular season opponents 696-126
2. Closest game was a 28-15 win against #4A Henry Clay (a play off team in Lexington district)
3. Outscored 4 opponents by 171-68
4. 696 points scored that season - 14-0 record, and state 1A champions
5. With offensive that was equally adept at running or passing, although the RG was their bread and butter. All 3 running backs including FB, Chad Thornsbury, ran a 4.6 or less. Chad has less yardage due to being a blocking back (over 50 knock down blocks prior to state championship game). Chad avg. 9.3 yards per carry.
6. Greg Hackney had 1600 yards and 158 points although he missed 2 games due to ankle injury. Had 162 yards against Beechwood in the play off game which was not added to that tally. He ended up being leading scorer in PHS history.
7. Bobby Deramus had 1500 yards and 168 points.
8. Matt Blair - QB - Over 1200 yards passing and a school record
9. Offensive linemen - Were monsters. The starting 5 benched well over 300 lbs. Tim Honaker's benched over 500 lbs. Not sure of their squats.
Will send definsive stats later.
Big Five-0- Wrote:1. Outscored regular season opponents 696-126
2. Closest game was a 28-15 win against #4A Henry Clay (a play off team in Lexington district)
5. With offensive that was equally adept at running or passing, although the RG was their bread and butter. All 3 running backs including FB, Chad Thornsbury, ran a 4.6 or less. Chad has less yardage due to being a blocking back (over 50 knock down blocks prior to state championship game). Chad avg. 9.3 yards per carry.
6. Greg Hackney had 1600 yards and 158 points although he missed 2 games due to ankle injury. Had 162 yards against Beechwood in the play off game which was not added to that tally. He ended up being leading scorer in PHS history.
9. Offensive linemen - Were monsters. The starting 5 benched well over 300 lbs. Tim Honaker's benched over 500 lbs. Not sure of their squats.

:notworthy agree just phenomenal...
Big Five-0- Wrote:1. Outscored regular season opponents 696-126

For Comparision
BCHS 644 pts. Opp. 70 points through 15 games 15-0 record.

BCHS 3500+ team rushing yards, opp. team rushing yards 1275

BCHS passing 1764 yds. opp. 1132