Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley. Best team in the 15th since?
InstantOffense Wrote:SV won the region in 02. They only lost 1 game in region and it was to AC early in the season. Paintsville beat SF out of the All A and the Regional. SV was definitely the best team in 02.

The 01 SF team was much better than the 02 team in my opinion. However, the SV team that got upset in the region gave them a thumping 84-26 at SF on senior night...

I agree I think he may have meant the 01 SF team. SV did get upset on their home floor. But to say that just because SV thumped SF at home on their last game of the season don't hold much water because the team that upset Valley was AC and SF beat them by 30 in the district finals just before the upset.
I never said they was the greatest team ever. I said the same thing you did. In my opinion they are the best team following the Paintsville team that won the state tourney. And until another team from the 15th wins another state tourney, then they should be considered the best.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Colonel Kill Wrote:I agree I think he may have meant the 01 SF team. SV did get upset on their home floor. But to say that just because SV thumped SF at home on their last game of the season don't hold much water because the team that upset Valley was AC and SF beat them by 30 in the district finals just before the upset.

Well SV was 27-2 coming into the regional tourney and easily considered the best team in the region. WYMT champs in one of the best games I have ever seen against Clay County also...
InstantOffense Wrote:Well SV was 27-2 coming into the regional tourney and easily considered the best team in the region. WYMT champs in one of the best games I have ever seen against Clay County also...

Oh, I agree I do think they were the best team in the region that year going into the tourny but I guess my point is that unless you win the state or have a very good showing at Rupp then there are many good teams in the history of the 15th that can be considered close to Valleys team right now. But if they go to Rupp and at least make it to the final four then to me that sets them apart from other past 15th teams and places them is a category to be mentioned with the '96 & '98 Paintsville teams.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I never said they was the greatest team ever. I said the same thing you did. In my opinion they are the best team following the Paintsville team that won the state tourney. And until another team from the 15th wins another state tourney, then they should be considered the best.

I knew if we talked long enough bbf we would agree on something. My point is until Valley has a good show in Rupp then other 15th teams are comparable to this Valley team. I wish them nothing but the best, would love to see a state title come to the 15th because we never get respect in the lexington or louisville paper's rankings.
I would say that this team is probably the best since Painstville won the state tournament. I am very confident that this Shelby Valley team could beat last years Paintsville's team. Why? Because SV came a hair of beating Paintsville lasty year. SV had two key players out for that game, Taylor Newsome and Jacob Bryant (who went down in the game). SV had Paintsville beat but quit attacking when Paintsville was in foul trouble, and SV started holding the ball. This year every player has improved, plus added Devan Adams. Elisha has became much more of a scoring threat, and both him and Logan have gotten faster. With SV's big men down low, and Elisha and Logan running the point and defending I do not believe 07-08 could beat this years Valley team. But like I said in the thread (SV 08-09 vs Paintsville 07-08) this is really pointless because it could never happen. Paintsville represented the 15th very well last year, now it is Valley's turn. People in the 15th should get behind them and support them.
They haven't won the 15th yet, but they should win it because it's obvious they are the best team. However, if an upset was to occur then where could you place them? I'm not disagreeing with this thread, but think it should've came after the regional tournament or even after the state tourney.
IRISH4 Wrote:They haven't won the 15th yet, but they should win it because it's obvious they are the best team. However, if an upset was to occur then where could you place them? I'm not disagreeing with this thread, but think it should've came after the regional tournament or even after the state tourney.

You'd place them as the most talented team to never win the 15th region title.
I didnt know how good sv was until i watched the video of them on youtube..they are by far the best ive seen in this region. the 02 sf team was tough they was in top 5 in points per game in the state.. with jimmy stumbo rusty tackett mikey hall john meade ryan shannon kyle tackett byron hall
PC_You_Know Wrote:You'd place them as the most talented team to never win the 15th region title.

You are probably right with that assessment, hopefully it doesn't happen because I would like to see the 15th region be represented on Championship Saturday.
Homer Simpson Wrote:the 02 sf team was tough they was in top 5 in points per game in the state.. with jimmy stumbo rusty tackett mikey hall john meade ryan shannon kyle tackett byron hall

That team was from the '00 class . They were some good teams in the 15th then with Johnson Central going on to win the region.
How about Todd Tackett? Sorry if someone already mentioned him!!
Memorial Gym #5 Wrote:How about Todd Tackett? Sorry if someone already mentioned him!!

Sorry, wrong thread!! :igiveup:
1996 Paintsville

State Champs that beat a very good Lexington Catholic team in the semis.
Vanhoose, Tackett, Craig Ratliff and others. Someone from Paintsville help me with the other names please. I believe Vanhoose was about 6'9 then and Ratliff was 6'7. So, size was not a problem. Shelby Valley could change my mind in the next month.
cart man Wrote:1996 Paintsville

State Champs that beat a very good Lexington Catholic team in the semis.
Vanhoose, Tackett, Craig Ratliff and others. Someone from Paintsville help me with the other names please. I believe Vanhoose was about 6'9 then and Ratliff was 6'7. So, size was not a problem. Shelby Valley could change my mind in the next month.

VanHoose- 6'9"
C. Ratliff- 6'8"
Josh McKenzie-6'7"
Todd Tackett- 6'2"
Matt Ratliff- 6'1"

Also this team I believe lost 10 games in the regular season before going on to win the Sweet 16. I think Cantrell had us ranked 10th out of the sixteen teams in the field. Those first two games of the tourney were outstanding basketball games. Then the Saturday morning game was total domination with VanHoose going for something like 29 points and 27 rebounds!
It is basically the same team and if I remember right Paintsville did beat SV in the regional semis last year.
OutsideLogic Wrote:It is basically the same team and if I remember right Paintsville did beat SV in the regional semis last year.

Lost Jacob Bryant and Jonah Justice, gained Deven Adams and a healthy Taylor Newsome, no where near the same team that Paintsville beat.
InstantOffense Wrote:Go to the poll. SV this year leads over Paintsville last year. I don't ee how you can argue that. I mean SV had two key injuries, overcame a 20 point deficit, and lost in OT. I can promise you that this SV team is better than last years. Since SV and Paintsville were tied at the end of regulation that should say they were pretty even. This SV is at least 10 points better than last season.

I agree this SV team is at least 10 points better than last years, with another year under their guards belts along with Tackett and the addition of Adams. IMO SV would have beaten last years P-VILLE team, but still not sure they could have handled the P-VILLE team of JR Vanhoose and company and thats JMO which doesn't mean much since it's not going to happen anyway.:Thumbs:
justabballfan Wrote:I agree this SV team is at least 10 points better than last years, with another year under their guards belts along with Tackett and the addition of Adams. IMO SV would have beaten last years P-VILLE team, but still not sure they could have handled the P-VILLE team of JR Vanhoose and company and thats JMO which doesn't mean much since it's not going to happen anyway.:Thumbs:

Not many players in the history of Kentucky basketball could "handle" JR Vanhoose, maybe some could hope to contain him for a bit, but he was a force.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Not many players in the history of Kentucky basketball could "handle" JR Vanhoose, maybe some could hope to contain him for a bit, but he was a force.

I agree can't remember exactly how many but I believe the year they won state he had something like 30 points and 28 rebounds in the semi finals, not for sure but I think that's pretty close, one thing I do know he dominated that game along with others. If you or anyone else knows for sure let me know because I think it's either the rebounding record or tied with it.:worthy:
Colonel Kill Wrote:And who won that game?

I too saw that game and in the second overtime, I think Pikeville had already fouled out four starters to one for Paintsville.

With that said Paintsville was the better team, no doubt and Pikeville beat SV to get to Paintsville.

It is hard to compare teams from different eras. The 81 Virgie Eagles with Todd May, Rodney Rowe, Gerald Osborne, Keith Casebolt would have faired very well with the current Cats and the Painstville teams. I am sure JC had some teams that would have also.
bevinsville_bomber Wrote:That team was from the '00 class . They were some good teams in the 15th then with Johnson Central going on to win the region.
I think the best team the region has seen post to the '98 Paintsville team and prior to the '09 SV team was the '00 Johnson Central team.
Commanche Wrote:I too saw that game and in the second overtime, I think Pikeville had already fouled out four starters to one for Paintsville.

With that said Paintsville was the better team, no doubt and Pikeville beat SV to get to Paintsville.

It is hard to compare teams from different eras. The 81 Virgie Eagles with Todd May, Rodney Rowe, Gerald Osborne, Keith Casebolt would have faired very well with the current Cats and the Painstville teams. I am sure JC had some teams that would have also.
Eras are fairly well defined by teams that dominated short periods of those eras. The 60's were probably defined as the Meade Memorial/ Johnson Central decade. The early to mid 70's was again under the control of JC with Virgie dominating the latter 70's to the early 80's with Johnson Central again sneaking back in, in '84. They also had some good teams throughout the late 80's only to play second fiddle to that 12 year dominating run by Paintsville. Pikeville and JC again rounded out the late 90's and including the "00 JC team. Since then I guess you could say that probably the most consistant program in this current era has been SV.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I think the best team the region has seen post to the '98 Paintsville team and prior to the '09 SV team was the '00 Johnson Central team.
That should say the '08 Paintsville team.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I think the best team the region has seen post to the '98 Paintsville team and prior to the '09 SV team was the '00 Johnson Central team.

Sf and Johnson Central played a good game that year.. i remember its hard to believe that was 9 yrs ago
Mr.Kimball Wrote:That should say the '08 Paintsville team.

I feel like alot of the teams that won in the early 00's... South Floyd and the two SV teams could have beaten the regional winner over the last 5 or 6 years. I think the SV team in '02 was underrated. JMO.
SwildcatV Wrote:because last years paintsville team could not hang with this valley team. but i would like to see the paintsville team that jr vanhoose was on and this years valley team play. that would be a great matchup.

I am a JC fan but this one would not be close! No one from Valley could hang with Tackett and the back court of Vanhoose and Ratliff would be to much to handle. This tiger team had two D-1 players and we are yet to see any one from SV go D-1. The JR Vanhoose teams would beat this SV team by 20 points easy, and this is coming from an Eagle fan.
bevinsville_bomber Wrote:That team was from the '00 class . They were some good teams in the 15th then with Johnson Central going on to win the region.

Yeah that was the 00 team, but you can't say they were the best that year because they didn't get it done.... I honestly think they would have won the region that year had they gotten by Maggoffin.... I also think they were better than the 01 SF team that won the region...:Thumbs:...Things just didn't fall our way in 00 though...

I would also love to see Shelby Valley get it done this year and win the State Tourney...
InstantOffense Wrote:I feel like alot of the teams that won in the early 00's... South Floyd and the two SV teams could have beaten the regional winner over the last 5 or 6 years. I think the SV team in '02 was underrated. JMO.

I agree with ya....

In 02 everyone was all about SF and Paintsville, Then SV just snuck right in there and won the region that year...haha
Let's not forget that last year in the regional game against SV Slone had a huge knot on his shooting elbow so he was no where near 100%, just throwing this out there since the Valley faithful seem to think injuries were a main reason for Valley not winning last year. I seem to think its because their coach held the ball after fighting like "wildcats" to overcome a 20 point disadvantage. Why not ride the horse that got you there and continue to be aggressive? Never mind the fact that Paintsville had no bench and 4 players on the court with 4 fouls.