Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes Shelby Valley is the number 1 team, but!
2001 should be a reminder that anythinbg can happen in the 15th region!
Yes S.V. is dominant.......Yes they have great kids who deserve all the accolades and attention..........Justice is a kid who is well deserving of the hype and his teamates do their part as well......
S.V. has been nothing but class and would represent the 15th very well if they make it to Rupp.
However, I plead the case of the rest of the 15th region on the basis of 2001.
Shelby Valley who was number 1 with a bullet stormed into the 15th regional tournament on their home floor....people were calling it the Shelby Valley invitational..........(sound familiar?)
However, the Allen Central Rebels with a veteran coach in Johnny Martin played a great game and slowed the Wildcats down knocking them off on their home floor in front of their home fans...ending their season. The South Floyd Raiders went on to Rupp and Valley had to wait. I aint saying that will happen again....I'm simply saying it has happened before and nothing is impossible come March.....don't be sure the other teams in the 15th are not going to be up for the challenge....that is why we play the games and don't play them on paper. Valley is super but nobody will roll over and lay down. It will have to be won by Valley and those trophies don't have anybodies name on them yet.:redboxer:
I Honestly don't think this is happen this year.
But, you never know.

But I don't see it happening.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
Fiddler Wrote:2001 should be a reminder that anythinbg can happen in the 15th region!
Yes S.V. is dominant.......Yes they have great kids who deserve all the accolades and attention..........Justice is a kid who is well deserving of the hype and his teamates do their part as well......
S.V. has been nothing but class and would represent the 15th very well if they make it to Rupp.
Shelby Valley who was number 1 with a bullet stormed into the 15th regional tournament on their home floor....people were calling it the Shelby Valley invitational..........(sound familiar?)
However, the Allen Central Rebels with a veteran coach in Johnny Martin played a great game and slowed the Wildcats down knocking them off on their home floor in front of their home fans...ending their season. The South Floyd Raiders went on to Rupp and Valley had to wait. I aint saying that will happen again....I'm simply saying it has happened before and nothing is impossible come March.....don't be sure the other teams in the 15th are not going to be up for the challenge....that is why we play the games and don't play them on paper. Valley is super but nobody will roll over and lay down. It will have to be won by Valley and those trophies don't have anybodies name on them yet.:redboxer:

Anything can happen, but I don't think Valley will let one sneak up on them again.
Justice is one of the top players in the state, can the 2001 team say they had one of the top players in the state who had interest in him from the likes of Kentucky, Arkansas, and Florida? No. The 2001 team was great, one of the best ever at Valley, but this team has a field commander who has more heart than anyone I know.
They will fall!!!!!!!!!!
Fiddler Wrote:2001 should be a reminder that anythinbg can happen in the 15th region!

The 2001 15th region field was 1000% tougher than this year's region competition. Allen Central was loaded with talent (Newsome, JJ Hayes, Mullins, #15 who was tough on the baseline) they just had a mental block with South Floyd in the post-season. The Raiders had all of that young talent with Hall, Tackett, Meade, etc...
If I remember there were 4-5 20+ win teams in 2001. Pikeville still had Chase Gibson and that Panthers team lost 11 games down the stretch by single digits. Pike Central was very good offensively that year with Shawn Scott (PKCC's all-time leading scorer) but they got upset by Pikeville. Bill Mike Runyon was preaching the gospel for the Tigers, Danny Adams had the Montgomery kid and Summa (who was not 7'0 tall) as well as the other hard nosed players. This year's 2009 15th region bracket won't have near the competition.
If SV falls in the regional to someone other than Johnson Central it will be the biggest stunner since Pineville *UPSET* Cawood in 1978. No disrespect to any of the other 15th region teams, but it's just how it is and I think that statement is the no brainer of the year. That's why it gives them some adrenaline and the 'want to' to go beat the Valley. :bball:
I agree BUT theres not a team in the 15th this year that compares or comes even too that AC team, that team was stacked from top too bottom. As well as Valley and the 01' SF team who underachieved that season and came too play at the right time.
ANY team is beatable!!!!!
gettheball Wrote:ANY team is beatable!!!!!

True, but who is going to do it? Or, will Shelby Valley be the ones to do it? Johnson Central has the best shot in terms of matchups but we will see. They have to get out of the district first. Is this time of the year not the best?!?!?!?!?!?
Brian Milam Wrote:The 2001 15th region field was 1000% tougher than this year's region competition. Allen Central was loaded with talent (Newsome, JJ Hayes, Mullins, #15 who was tough on the baseline) they just had a mental block with South Floyd in the post-season. The Raiders had all of that young talent with Hall, Tackett, Meade, etc...
If I remember there were 4-5 20+ win teams in 2001. Pikeville still had Chase Gibson and that Panthers team lost 11 games down the stretch by single digits. Pike Central was very good offensively that year with Shawn Scott (PKCC's all-time leading scorer) but they got upset by Pikeville. Bill Mike Runyon was preaching the gospel for the Tigers, Danny Adams had the Montgomery kid and Summa (who was not 7'0 tall) as well as the other hard nosed players. This year's 2009 15th region bracket won't have near the competition.
If SV falls in the regional to someone other than Johnson Central it will be the biggest stunner since Pineville *UPSET* Cawood in 1978. No disrespect to any of the other 15th region teams, but it's just how it is and I think that statement is the no brainer of the year. That's why it gives them some adrenaline and the 'want to' to go beat the Valley. :bball:
#15 for AC was Travis Francis who was about 6'6 but had a lot of length and they also had Scott who was about 6'4 and they had some good young talent comming off the bench(Slone,Allen...etc). Pike Central was loaded like you had mentioned. South Floyd had arguably the most individual talent that season with Mike Hall, Rusty Tackett, Tyler Hall and John Meade and that made them dangerous in the tournament. That year was one of the more balanced seasons in recent memory. Shelby Valley had all the talent in the world also and had a good PG. I don't see anyone comming within 10pts of Valley this season and thats bringing their best game against them.
Brian Milam Wrote:True, but who is going to do it? Or, will Shelby Valley be the ones to do it? Johnson Central has the best shot in terms of matchups but we will see. They have to get out of the district first. Is this time of the year not the best?!?!?!?!?!?
Wait a minute....I thought someone said you couldn't have an opinion???

LOL
Brian Milam Wrote:True, but who is going to do it? Or, will Shelby Valley be the ones to do it? Johnson Central has the best shot in terms of matchups but we will see. They have to get out of the district first. Is this time of the year not the best?!?!?!?!?!?

If Welch will overreact to a boy from Estill playing physical on him, I sure don't want to see how he'll act when Valley goes right at him all game long.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Wait a minute....I thought someone said you couldn't have an opinion???

LOL

Confusedhh: Confusedhh: Confusedhh:
Brian Milam Wrote:The 2001 15th region field was 1000% tougher than this year's region competition. Allen Central was loaded with talent (Newsome, JJ Hayes, Mullins, #15 who was tough on the baseline) they just had a mental block with South Floyd in the post-season. The Raiders had all of that young talent with Hall, Tackett, Meade, etc...

great post Milam you beat me to the punch on that one. Not to mention in 03 when Valley was the top dog however it was a closer race between them and Paintsville if it had not been for a bone headed foul by Pike Centrals Justin McCurry Valley would have been knocked out in the first round that season as well.

However, as you said the region is much weaker now, Valley is much stronger and it will take an act of Congress for them to get beat this year IMO.
Anything is possible at any given time. There are no perfect teams!
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Not to mention in 03 when Valley was the top dog however it was a closer race between them and Paintsville if it had not been for a bone headed foul by Pike Centrals Justin McCurry Valley would have been knocked out in the first round that season as well.
Even if PCC hadn't fouled Valley still had the ball with 6 seconds left. They fouled a 60% free throw shooter. Who is to say that Valley wouldn't have scored either way. I still say that if we hadn't beat PCC that year that would have went on to represent the 15th at Rupp Arena. I think they were the second best team in the region at the end of the season.
If this SV team lost it would be a 10 times larger upset than the one in 2001, but I bet thats the 1st time that a team had beaten the 2nd best team in the region by over 50 and didn't go to state. SV 84 SF 26, at South Floyd. I'm not saying I think this years SV team is better than the 01' team, I think its a toss up. I just think outside of SV the region is weaker than I have ever seen it before. Very, very, weak.
InstantOffense Wrote:Even if PCC hadn't fouled Valley still had the ball with 6 seconds left. They fouled a 60% free throw shooter. Who is to say that Valley wouldn't have scored either way. I still say that if we hadn't beat PCC that year that would have went on to represent the 15th at Rupp Arena. I think they were the second best team in the region at the end of the season.

Never said Valley wouldnt have scored on that possesion however, I am saying for what happened that cost PCC the game. That game also spanded over the next two years where Pike Central got beat on last second shots. Bad Bad three season for the way they ended up on Buckley's Creek.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Never said Valley wouldnt have scored on that possesion however, I am saying for what happened that cost PCC the game. That game also spanded over the next two years where Pike Central got beat on last second shots. Bad Bad three season for the way they ended up on Buckley's Creek.

I still think they may have gotten jipped in one of those buzzer beater games...
Yeah the 01 valley team got upset but this years team would have to fall apart for that to happen.
Who all was on that 01 valley team.
BB5 Wrote:Yeah the 01 valley team got upset but this years team would have to fall apart for that to happen.
Who all was on that 01 valley team.

C - Shannon Akers (A 3pt. shooting center!)
F - Michael Riddle
F - Jeremy Akers
G - Terry Wright
G - Brandon Stevens

------------------------
These guys were on the team and vital to the 2002-2003 title runs
Chris Prater
Josh Goad
Tyler Branham - "What a player"...quote from 2001 Mountain Classic!)
Phillip Akers
Paul Flemming
InstantOffense Wrote:I still think they may have gotten jipped in one of those buzzer beater games...

yeah but we wont menthion which one :igiveup: ... However, its not even that call that upsets me its all the events that led up to that game and calls up to that point in that game that upset me. Us PCC fans will never forget that game or let it go.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:yeah but we wont menthion which one :igiveup: ... However, its not even that call that upsets me its all the events that led up to that game and calls up to that point in that game that upset me. Us PCC fans will never forget that game or let it go.

And I wonder what game that would be?!?!? :Sad04:
PC_You_Know Wrote:Justice is one of the top players in the state, can the 2001 team say they had one of the top players in the state who had interest in him from the likes of Kentucky, Arkansas, and Florida? No. The 2001 team was great, one of the best ever at Valley, but this team has a field commander who has more heart than anyone I know.

Will you give that a rest!! Anyone with half a brain knows Justice is not going to play at KY, ARK, or Florida.:please:
Like I have said, in 1993 Hazard beat Dilce Combs in 1st round of District, who won the All "A" State title and was loaded with talent(Heston Beverly, Cavanaugh Trent, Kevin Campbell, ETC...) and in 1994 a 5 win Hazard team went into District play and was 8 seconds from knocking off M.C. Napier in the regional finals to go to the state tournament with a record of 9-19!! I think some teams just play differently when it is tournament time!! Good luck to SV though, I hope they will be in Rupp this year!!!
gettheball Wrote:ANY team is beatable!!!!!

Belfry's win over Pikeville was a real surprise yesterday!!
zulu Wrote:Will you give that a rest!! Anyone with half a brain knows Justice is not going to play at KY, ARK, or Florida.:please:

Did i say he was? I said they are showing interest or they all 3 wouldn't have invited him to their camps.
If SV falls in the regional to someone other than Johnson Central it will be the biggest stunner since Pineville *UPSET* Cawood in 1978. No disrespect to any of the other 15th region teams, but it's just how it is and I think that statement is the no brainer of the year. That's why it gives them some adrenaline and the 'want to' to go beat the Valley.

Good post, Brian. I was getting ready to reply the same way you did.

Yes, SV was the favorite going into the '01 tourney, but but not by a lot. Allen Central and South Floyd both had strong teams that year as well. Considering how good AC was that year, it would only be considered a mild upset that SV lost to such a good team.

If someone wants to bring up SV getting upset in the regional, go a little more recent to 2004. In that year, a Shelby Valley team that was stacked with talent saw a likely regional title derailed by internal strife. A team that should not have lost a single game in either the district or regional tournaments, first lost in the district title game. Then, they had the good fortune to draw a Prestonsburg team that not only had a losing record, but had also just lost to SV by 21 a couple weeks before. But SV couldn't get their act together, and P-Burg pulled the monumental upset. Proof that having the most talent doesn't always mean everything.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:yeah but we wont menthion which one :igiveup: ... However, its not even that call that upsets me its all the events that led up to that game and calls up to that point in that game that upset me. Us PCC fans will never forget that game or let it go.

I too was referring to the calls leading up to the buzzer beater.
InstantOffense Wrote:I too was referring to the calls leading up to the buzzer beater.

at least were not the only ones who noticed it lol