Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Absolutely Rediculous
This is from a previous thread.

Louisville Courier-Journal
By: David Hawpe
Don't check the box score for the right values
February 18, 2009

Meanwhile, all of us might spend some time reflecting on the myths by which we live in America, including the silly notion that, as former UCLA football coach Red Sanders often said, and pro football icon Vince Lombardi often repeated, "Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing."

I'm a fan, too. I eagerly consumed yesterday's excellent Page One story in the Lexington Herald-Leader about the home-grown basketball team from Elliott County High School (total student body, 320), which currently is 24-2 and No. 2 in the C-J Litkenhous ratings. The Lions from ECHS could be the next Indians from Milan High School (enrollment, 121), who won the 1954 Hoosier prep championship and provided the inspiration for the movie "Hoosiers," which I loved.

But I was deeply disappointed to see Elliott County coach Rick Mays insist, "A lot of people not athletic-minded won't like what I say, but in my lifetime there hasn't been anything bigger happen in this community than this right here."

Senior guard Ethan Faulkner said much the same thing: "This community has never had a team come through here like this. … This is what they've been waiting on, and they're living the dream with us."

Certainly, the big news is not in the classrooms at Elliott County High School, where the combined 2007-08 overall accountability index score was just under 70, a full 12 points below the statewide average of 82. ECHS started with a baseline score 10 points lower than the statewide average in 2000, so the latest scores show the gap is widening.

The Elliott County system is officially "progressing," but to meet its state-mandated goal, ECHS would have to gain five points on the accountability index each year for the next six years. That's going to be tougher than winning the state tournament.

During halftime at the next game, ECHS fans, instead of marveling at the Lions' box score, might contemplate the Elliott County numbers in the latest Kids Count report:

Local school revenue per pupil, $1,193, when the state average is $3,340; some 71 percent of students entering college with academic needs, contrasted against 46 percent statewide; six-year college graduation rate 35 percent, or 11 percentage points below the state average; 40 percent of the county's children in poverty, contrasted against a statewide average of 23 percent; 71 percent eligible for free or reduced-price school lunch, as opposed to 53 percent statewide; births to mothers who are not high school graduates, nine percentage points above the state average.

I hope the Faulkner twins, the Knipp brothers, Jonathan Ferguson and the rest of the boys haul the Sweet 16 trophy back to Sandy Hook. But if they do, I hope nobody thinks it will be enough for the good folks of Elliott County to sit and stare at the trophy for the next two or three decades.

David Hawpe's column appears Wednesdays
I'm a resident of Greenup Co and have family in both Elliott and Johnson Counties and I dont know about the rest of the viewers of this site, but I am getting sick of reading things like this. It seems that every time someone and/or a team from a rurual or mining commuinity has some sort success there is alwas a nae sayer that brings up the fact that the entire community that they are from, is in shambles. True, there are several communities in East Kentucky that have their issues, but please...just let the kids enjoy their success. They know what is going in their towns. Let them be. They are just kids. Who knows, the success could lead to more success. Let the kids play and enjoy the success that they have. You want to talk about their communities, do so amongst yourself.

Its not just Elliott County that gets this negative publicity. When 20/20 did the article on Shawn Grimm, someone had to come out and talk down about him and how that "wasn't the Shawn Grimm that they knew off, and he wasn't the hard worker that it portrayed on the show". How are people in our area, heck, people anywhere supposed to "rise up" and try to make things better when the entire world around them is saying that shouldn't or couldn't better their situation or think that they are a lossed cause. Lets stand behind are fellow Kentuckians and support them, instead of bringing them down!
It is unfortunate that Mr. Hawpe wants to drag the Elliott Co basketball team into this. There is problems in Eastern Ky, but why down grade the basketball team? It a real cheap shot and off the wall.
To Everyone In Ky, Sports Fans And Otherwise, Stay Positive

And Keep On Keep-in On As The Bible Tells Us To Do And To Love

One Another.
amen brother amen
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...hp?t=57274
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]