Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USA Swimming Suspends Phelps For 3 Months
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Michael Phelps has been suspended from competition for three months by USA Swimming, the latest fallout from a photo that showed the Olympic great inhaling from a marijuana pipe.

The sport's national governing body also cut off its financial support to Phelps for the same three-month period, effective Thursday.

"This is not a situation where any anti-doping rule was violated, but we decided to send a strong message to Michael because he disappointed so many people, particularly the hundreds of thousands of USA Swimming member kids who look up to him as a role model and a hero," the federation said in a statement.

"Michael has voluntarily accepted this reprimand and has committed to earn back our trust."

Phelps won eight gold medals in Beijing.

(Yahoo! News)

Welp, I guess that's how the cookie crumbled in this situation.
This is a crock of %#@&. He smoked some pot, no big deal.
I know. They talk about kids looking up to them.
I see it is "Hey kids!, if you make a mistake, you're going to have to go through **** to make up for it!"

I mean come on, give the guy a break!
donathanhurley Wrote:I know. They talk about kids looking up to them.
I see it is "Hey kids!, if you make a mistake, you're going to have to go through **** to make up for it!"

I mean come on, give the guy a break!

Indeed..
I bet the guy who won all those silver metals could smoke all the pot he wants and not get in trouble. I mean there are hundreds of athletes that do it, I think they are coming down MUCH too hard on him. He is a legend, give him a break!
Doesn't bother me any, he messed up, he apologized and he got punished for it, no big deal. Besides, its not like its gonna help him win any medals.
He's lost his Kelloggs sponsorship and more to follow.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:This is a crock of %#@&. He smoked some pot, no big deal.

Wrong! It is a big deal! You obviously don't have children or you would know that smokig pot is a big deal!
He is an example who is human.... kids should learn from this, even the biggest heroes make mistakes.... its how they respond to them that shows true character....
Stardust Wrote:Wrong! It is a big deal! You obviously don't have children or you would know that smoking pot is a big deal!

In my eyes smoking pot is no big deal. I would much rather catch my kids smoking pot, than popping pills or having unprotected sex, when i finally do have them.
He is getting off easy.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:In my eyes smoking pot is no big deal. I would much rather catch my kids smoking pot, than popping pills or having unprotected sex, when i finally do have them.

I'd rather my kids not do ANY!
I think he is getting kind of a raw deal. I mean back in the day president Clinton admitted to smoking pot but "not inhaling" and didn't catch this much flack over it.
The old cliché "a picture is worth a 1000 words"
elkcity2224 Wrote:I think he is getting kind of a raw deal. I mean back in the day president Clinton admitted to smoking pot but "not inhaling" and didn't catch this much flack over it.

No doubt