Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The End of the East KY Miners?
Per a press release from Albany, NY...

The CBA today announced that they have abbreviated the remainder of the 2008-09 season. The regular season will conclude on Feb. 3rd. The CBA will then hold a 3-game series in Albany with the top two teams in the league standings facing off, the Albany Patroons and the Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry, to determine the CBA Champion.

CBA Commissioner Dennis Truax says, "This is the best course of action for the CBA to take at this time. The economy has affected us all and we are now directly seeing the fallout from that. We will be holding an owners meeting during the finals as we look to restructure the CBA and come back next season stronger than ever."
This is what I'm reading:

The Continental Basketball Association will end its 2008-09 season six weeks ahead of schedule, the league announced Monday. Following the final regular season games Monday and Tuesday night, the Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry will play the Albany Patroons for the CBA championship later this week.

The CBA entered this season with just four teams after the Pittsburgh Xplosion withdrew from the league days before training camps opened. Three league teams - the Patroons, East Kentucky Miners and Minot Skyrockets - resorted to filling their early-season schedules with games against American Basketball Association teams, a stopgap measure intended to save the season. It did not work. After less than a month of league play, the CBA will enter an offseason full of questions.
A source with the East Kentucky Miners who spoke on condition of anonymity stated that team owner Jay Fiedler had stopped funding the team in early January. He indicated that players and staff had not been paid for four weeks, but he expected Fiedler would make up for past-due amounts.
With the Miners[Image: http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes..._10x10.gif]' immediate future in question, CBA owners voted on a conference call this past weekend to end the season early. The CBA has announced it will hold an owners meeting late this week to discuss the league's future.
Fiedler became disillusioned with the CBA when it blocked his attempt to move the Miners to the Premier Basketball League, according to the source. His attempts to get the leagues to merge were also voted down by CBA owners. It wasn't the only major disagreement among CBA ownership this season. Lawton-Fort Sill's owners argued vehemently against the interleague games with the ABA, and when the league voted to play them, the Cavalry refused to participate, said the source.
Maybe Jay Fiedler get the Miners moved to the PBL. I hope anyway.
This blows. Hopefully they will get in another league, but it doesn't seem likely.
This article says that the CBA will cease operations and blames teams that defected to the NBA's "D-League" as the major reason behind the decision...

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/...175617.txt

The Continental Basketball Association, where the Dakota Wizards played for five seasons before jumping to the D-League, will reportedly cease operations as of Feb. 5.
Never thought it would last and actually thought it was a bad idea in the first place...Sorry to the fans who did enjoy it though!
It would be awesome if the Miners joined the D-League.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:It would be awesome if the Miners joined the D-League.

Yeah, for real.Cool
If they join the D-league, you will see some big time talent at the Expo next year.
Don't count on them joining the D League
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Don't count on them joining the D League

LoL, I didn't even count on them coming to Pikeville.
PC_You_Know Wrote:LoL, I didn't even count on them coming to Pikeville.

well i mean CBA coming isnt really that big of a deal I know it is for this area but lets be realistic. The Miners have not really made that big of a revenue as to what some thought it would do. Yes they had about 500 people show up to every game but alot of sponsorships pulled theirs this season. With the economy the way it is I dont think Pikeville looks very good in the brides dress any time soon. I have been wrong a time or two though. Big Grin
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:well i mean CBA coming isnt really that big of a deal I know it is for this area but lets be realistic. The Miners have not really made that big of a revenue as to what some thought it would do. Yes they had about 500 people show up to every game but alot of sponsorships pulled theirs this season. With the economy the way it is I dont think Pikeville looks very good in the brides dress any time soon. I have been wrong a time or two though. Big Grin

Pikeville needs more before we try to have any kind of professional team, towns with professional teams usually have some kind of big mall or some big attraction, we don't really have that here. I always said when I first moved here 8 years ago, if this place had a mall, this place could flourish.
hate to see this maybe we can arena football.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Pikeville needs more before we try to have any kind of professional team, towns with professional teams usually have some kind of big mall or some big attraction, we don't really have that here. I always said when I first moved here 8 years ago, if this place had a mall, this place could flourish.

Here are other small market cities and their metro population. What is the population of Pikeville?

Cincinnati 2.1M
Minneapolis 3.1M
Kansas City 1.9M
Sacramento 2M
Nashville 1.5M
Stardust Wrote:Here are other small market cities and their metro population. What is the population of Pikeville?

Cincinnati 2.1M
Minneapolis 3.1M
Kansas City 1.9M
Sacramento 2M
Nashville 1.5M

10K, maybe?
PC_You_Know Wrote:10K, maybe?
More than 10k I know.
rallo316 Wrote:hate to see this maybe we can arena football.

AFL canceled their own 2009 season, so they aren't doing too swell either.
I'd enjoy watching some Hockey, maybe they could bring a team in.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I'd enjoy watching some Hockey, maybe they could bring a team in.

That would draw even less money.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:That would draw even less money.

I'm not ruling out the chance that it may bring in less money, but a lot say that Hockey is very fun to watch live.
Brittany0121 Wrote:AFL canceled their own 2009 season, so they aren't doing too swell either.

Right to save themselves from having to shut it self down midseason, aka. the CBA.

And type of Arena Football would do well in Pikeville. It's so exciting to watch. The shorter field, walls on the sidelines. I mean it really makes for an exciting atmosphere kids would love.

The CBA is a lousy league and maybe if it was the NBDL then it would have done better but what the CBA is, is even less than minor leagues in baseball. It never stood a chance.
Afternoon_Delight Wrote:More than 10k I know.

I THOUGHT IT WAS LIKE 7K
Pond creek nation Wrote:I THOUGHT IT WAS LIKE 7K

I always thought there was a sign coming from the Virgie/Dorton area on 23 that showed the population being 10k something.
Personally i thought the Miners games were extremely boring, and that is why obviously no one came. As i said before, you cant go out and get a bunch of thugs that no one has heard of and expect ppl to come watch. They need to try to get some players that are from this area or at least some that ppl have heard of if they wanted to have a chance.. i dont think they will be back next season, but if they do, it will just be the same
PC_You_Know Wrote:I always thought there was a sign coming from the Virgie/Dorton area on 23 that showed the population being 10k something.

There is, it's at Shelbiana right before you get to the Food City...I thought it said more than 10k but it may not have...I don't think it's been updated either.

*Correction* The census population in 2000 was 6,000+ in the city limits. I would imagine that has risen since then but we'll see soon enough. Hopefully anyway. I want Pikeville to expand and grow in population to help bring in more business.
I think the use of the word 'thugs' is offensive. Do you know them personally?
Brittany0121 Wrote:I think the use of the word 'thugs' is offensive. Do you know them personally?

No but i have met a few of them. And you can tell by the way they act and play
I thoroughly disagree. I think that our players, both last year and this year, seemed like very nice young men.
runninrebs21 Wrote:Personally i thought the Miners games were extremely boring, and that is why obviously no one came. As i said before, you cant go out and get a bunch of thugs that no one has heard of and expect ppl to come watch. They need to try to get some players that are from this area or at least some that ppl have heard of if they wanted to have a chance.. i dont think they will be back next season, but if they do, it will just be the same

Thugs? Apparently you have never talked to any of these men. "Thugs" don't play the game they love for small pay and the chance to live a dream.

thug

 –noun 1. a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.

To call those men a thug is an uncalled for attack on their character. Leave the term "Thug" for low-life murderers or thieves.

But it doesn't surprise me the nonchalant attitude towards categorizing anyone of another race in this area.