Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Indicted For Manslaughter?
Yes Pond Creek did say it was a MS game. There is nor true governing body for MS. It is in a school districts best interest to have the MS sports follow the KHSAA procedures. Even more so when it comes to the heat index.

I was not accusing anyone. Just stated a fact that if a temp was truely that high then someone better have taken a reading. They should continue to take readings. It appears from phs1986 Haywood does do this which is what all coaches HS or MS should do.
gotcha2 Wrote:I believe Pond Creek Nations comment was about a middle school game. KHSAA is responsible for High School sports. So my question is- is anyone regulating the middle school programs and the heat index at their practices and games?

That's a good question. I'd say the MS Principal's are involved, since they are the immediate supervisors of all Middle School coaches etc. This is just the saddest thing ever... for EVERYONE involved. Prayers need to be said for them. Along with better communication among kids,parents, coaches, and administrators!
At Russell the middles schools follow the KHSAA rules on the heat index.
Follow the rules and this shouldn't happen.
http://www.kentucky.com/802/story/670020.html

'Gassers' preceded player's collapse
Drill that killed PRP player common in high school football
By Brett Barrouquere and Will Graves - Associated Press LOUISVILLE — Football players know them as "gassers" — sprints up and down the field to build stamina.

Sophomore Max Gilpin and his Pleasure Ridge Park teammates spent the tail end of a three-hour practice on a sweltering August day in Louisville running the drill that is a coaching staple across the country, hoping to impress enough to earn varsity playing time that fall.

They sprinted 12 times in what felt like 94-degree heat, sometimes with helmets and pads, as the coaches pushed them to go harder and harder. It was a drill like those on many high school football fields, until Gilpin, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound offensive lineman, collapsed to the turf just 15 minutes after a teammate went down.

Michele Crockett
In this photo provided by the Gilpin family, Max Gilpin is shown during his 15th birthday party, in July, 2008, in Louisville, Ky.

Mike Hayman | Courier-Journal
Louisville Pleasure Ridge Park football coach David Jason Stinson is seen on the sidelines during the team's first game back after Max Gilpin's death in this Sept. 26, 2008 photo in Louisville, Ky.

Mike Hayman | The Courier-Journal
Louisville Pleasure Ridge Park football coach David Jason Stinson is seen on the sidelines during the team's first game back after Max Gilpin's death in this Sept. 26, 2008 photo in Louisville, Ky.

CLICK FOR MORE PHOTOS
Three days later, the 15-year-old Gilpin was dead from heat stroke, with authorities saying his body temperature was 107 degrees when he reached the hospital. Five months later, his first-year head coach David Jason Stinson is facing a reckless homicide charge, with a prosecutor saying the coach should have realized a player could get heat stroke in such broiling weather.
gotcha2 Wrote:I believe Pond Creek Nations comment was about a middle school game. KHSAA is responsible for High School sports. So my question is- is anyone regulating the middle school programs and the heat index at their practices and games?

Knott County middle schools uses heat index readings for practices.
I do not agree with this at all. These things happen.
It his definitely tragic for the player and his family. But it is equally as tragic for the coaching staff and the young man's team-mates, they have also lost someone in this whole ordeal. It was an accident plain and simple. Nobody out there believes that this coach (whom I've never met) intentionally caused harm to anyone with the gasser drill that everyone in the state runs over the summer while getting their guys in shape to play ball. Parents, fans, administration all want great teams to cheer for but a team is not great unless they are in GREAT physical shape. Even if there are no other factors in the death the coach should not be punished anymore than he has punished himself. He will never be able to coach like he should because of the fear that this may happen to someone else. Coaching is a tough cruel profession and now all of the coaches across the state will be second guessing themselves whenever they start conditioning their players next year. It's hard to draw the line, sure the temp of 94 was legal, shoot a temp of 96 is legal if the humidity is within limits, it's just plain scary times for all players.
When being charged with manslaughter it is not a matter of the person intentionally doing the act.
I saw on ESPN earlier that Corey Stringer's widow has reached a settlement with the NFL. One part of that settlement was she and the NFL would work together to start a program dealing with heat releated illnesses. I'm assuming this is an education program for coaches and athletes alike.
Excellent post!!! Neither have I met this coach, but I m sure he has ran it thru his head over and over to see what he could have done differently. Our coaches devote their time away fron their family and life to do this. I talked with a coach one time and he said that he broke down his salary one year for coaching only and divided it by the practice time only and he made only $.25 per hour. My hat goes off to any coach, they do it for the love of the game not the money. Granted, you have some who just show up walk around and get paid, but they put their time in.
Lambert #1 Wrote:It his definitely tragic for the player and his family. But it is equally as tragic for the coaching staff and the young man's team-mates, they have also lost someone in this whole ordeal. It was an accident plain and simple. Nobody out there believes that this coach (whom I've never met) intentionally caused harm to anyone with the gasser drill that everyone in the state runs over the summer while getting their guys in shape to play ball. Parents, fans, administration all want great teams to cheer for but a team is not great unless they are in GREAT physical shape. Even if there are no other factors in the death the coach should not be punished anymore than he has punished himself. He will never be able to coach like he should because of the fear that this may happen to someone else. Coaching is a tough cruel profession and now all of the coaches across the state will be second guessing themselves whenever they start conditioning their players next year. It's hard to draw the line, sure the temp of 94 was legal, shoot a temp of 96 is legal if the humidity is within limits, it's just plain scary times for all players.
I just think that to prosecute this man is wrong. If the school district feels that he needs to be removed remove him. This will always be on his record and he will never get a coaching job again so in my opinion this is punishment enough. To prosecute will not bring back the young man and the choice to not prosecute will not bring back the young man. Let it end here, the whole thing is tragic enough and we shouldn't ruin another family when one has already been destroyed by the unfortunate situation.
I thought coaches had to take training in respect to this and many issues of conditioning. I know I did and went to updates every year.
But what has to be understood here is the basic understanding of Physiology.

There is wet heat and dry heat.

(Wet Heat) When there is high humidity and high temperatures this decreases the bodies ability to cool off by evaporation of sweat. It also increases the respiration and the cardiovascular system. The core temperature of a person is higher then the normal 98.6. And when the core temperature increases too high this can lead into problems such as heat stroke and heat exhaustion.

(Dry Heat) This is the opposite of wet heat. It can be 94 degrees but the humidity is very low. Giving the body's ability to cool off by evaporation of sweat.

Both Wet Heat and Dry Heat can be dangerous, but problems can be prevented by simply having someone on staff take a Wet - Dry bulb Thermometer reading. This will give you the relative humidity compared to the air temperature. If they are egual or close then alternative practices can be instilled.

This is a sad situation for both the coach, his family and the family of the boy.
xwc Wrote:I thought coaches had to take training in respect to this and many issues of conditioning. I know I did and went to updates every year.
But what has to be understood here is the basic understanding of Physiology.

There is wet heat and dry heat.

(Wet Heat) When there is high humidity and high temperatures this decreases the bodies ability to cool off by evaporation of sweat. It also increases the respiration and the cardiovascular system. The core temperature of a person is higher then the normal 98.6. And when the core temperature increases too high this can lead into problems such as heat stroke and heat exhaustion.

(Dry Heat) This is the opposite of wet heat. It can be 94 degrees but the humidity is very low. Giving the body's ability to cool off by evaporation of sweat.

Both Wet Heat and Dry Heat can be dangerous, but problems can be prevented by simply having someone on staff take a Wet - Dry bulb Thermometer reading. This will give you the relative humidity compared to the air temperature. If they are egual or close then alternative practices can be instilled.

This is a sad situation for both the coach, his family and the family of the boy.

This is done right now with an instrument I'm sure most high schools have. It measures the humidity and gives you a reading, then it will tell you the temp. Coaches then look at a conversion chart to get the heat index reading. That chart tells when you can practice, when you can't, and even at what intervals you give water.
Like it's been said before, it's tragic. I would never ever want this to happen to my son, and I can't imagine the grief of this young mans parents. This stuff does, unfortunately, happen though. Hopefully the coach followed the guidelines set by the KHSAA. I'm sure that he cared deeply for the kids or he wouldn't have been out there in the first place. High school coaches don't get paid that much. It's just a bad situation all around.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:I think it is BS. The heat index that day was 94, they do not have to cancel practice unless the heat index is 104. If the kid was having a problem with the heat he should have took a break. Also they said he was AHAD and took meds that dehydrated him. The parents should have made sure the kid was taking in enough liquids since they knew the medication would dehydrate him. I do not think it was the coaches fault.

I agree.........