Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Indicted For Manslaughter?
I heard something about a coach being prosecuted for the death of one of his players here in kentucky. Anyone have info or want to comment?
lawrencefan Wrote:I heard something about a coach being prosecuted for the death of one of his players here in kentucky. Anyone have info or want to comment?

I think it is BS. The heat index that day was 94, they do not have to cancel practice unless the heat index is 104. If the kid was having a problem with the heat he should have took a break. Also they said he was AHAD and took meds that dehydrated him. The parents should have made sure the kid was taking in enough liquids since they knew the medication would dehydrate him. I do not think it was the coaches fault.
It is from the event that happened this summer at PRP.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/ris...id=3852811

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...22023/1008

How many players can just take a break whenever they want to in practice? While I agree with some/see the point of some of what was posted very few programs allows their players just to take a break.
barrel Wrote:It is from the event that happened this summer at PRP.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/ris...id=3852811

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...22023/1008

How many players can just take a break whenever they want to in practice? While I agree with some/see the point of some of what was posted very few programs allows their players just to take a break.

Yes, i get what you are saying, but if you as a player feel like your health is in danger, take a break, dont die.
I think there's a thread on this in the Gen. Disc. forum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
What is AHAD
58fan Wrote:What is AHAD

Sorry i meant ADHD.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:I think it is BS. The heat index that day was 94, they do not have to cancel practice unless the heat index is 104. If the kid was having a problem with the heat he should have took a break. Also they said he was AHAD and took meds that dehydrated him. The parents should have made sure the kid was taking in enough liquids since they knew the medication would dehydrate him. I do not think it was the coaches fault.

I'm not sure where you got your information on the player being ADHD and the medication causing dehydration. But- assuming this is true- has the doctor who signed off on the players physical being looked at? Did the parent report to the doctor that the player was taking the medication?
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:I think it is BS. The heat index that day was 94, they do not have to cancel practice unless the heat index is 104. If the kid was having a problem with the heat he should have took a break. Also they said he was AHAD and took meds that dehydrated him. The parents should have made sure the kid was taking in enough liquids since they knew the medication would dehydrate him. I do not think it was the coaches fault.

It is not BS if what is being said by people there is true. It was said that the coach withheld water and said they were going to keep practicing until somebody quit. If this is true, the coach must be an idiot and leave under a rock. As a coach, players health is number one priority. High school kids are afraid to question authority and do not want to disappoint the coach. Kids will do what ever the coach asks if they think that is what will get them playing time.Also, if you read the article, he was not the only player sent to the hospital that day. The other boy thankfully recovered.You also act as if 94 is not hot with all the equipment on and running around. I am not going to convict the coach yet,without all the evidence, but it does not look good for him.
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...hp?t=54286

Above is the link to this story that was already posted in the General Discussion forum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
gotcha2 Wrote:I'm not sure where you got your information on the player being ADHD and the medication causing dehydration. But- assuming this is true- has the doctor who signed off on the players physical being looked at? Did the parent report to the doctor that the player was taking the medication?

It mentioned him having ADHD in one of the news reports and how his medication dehydrated him, not sure which one though.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:It mentioned him having ADHD in one of the news reports and how his medication dehydrated him, not sure which one though.

ADHD- Attention Defict Hyperactivity Disorder

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:Well they need to find out if it is true first. If i was out there practicing and i was feeling so bad i thought it was hazardous to my health,94 degrees is nothing, i have been to practices hotter with pads on, just like million of other kids who have.

That's where you are wrong! 94 is something. I two went thru many 90 plus two a days in high school, just like millions of other kids. The heat never was a problem for me, in fact I loved it. Problem is it effects people differently and can happen and one is too many. You sound very young, I too would have thought the same way in my younger days. Now that I have four wonderful children,I know how insignificant sports are when it comes to the health of our children.Yea, the chance that something happens is remotely small, but that is a chance that is not worth the risk, precautions have to be taken.
Not fair to judge until all the facts are out. This also happened at FSU under Bobby Bowden, who most would agree isn't an idiot. Sometimes freak things like this happen, and it's not really fair to blame anyone. No one wants this to happen. And it's sad it does.
sstack Wrote:That's where you are wrong! 94 is something. I two went thru many 90 plus two a days in high school, just like millions of other kids. The heat never was a problem for me, in fact I loved it. Problem is it effects people differently and can happen and one is too many. You sound very young, I too would have thought the same way in my younger days. Now that I have four wonderful children,I know how insignificant sports are when it comes to the health of our children.Yea, the chance that something happens is remotely small, but that is a chance that is not worth the risk, precautions have to be taken.

If you cant handle the heat don't get on the field. 94 degrees is a perfectly fine temperature to have a practice outside as long as the right precautions are taken.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:If you cant handle the heat don't get on the field. 94 degrees is a perfectly fine temperature to have a practice outside as long as the right precautions are taken.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.... Although 94 degrees doesn't seem that "hot", when on a turf field, add you about 5 to 10 degrees to that.... that would put you up to about 99 to 104 degrees.... THAT is too hot to be running and losing fluids.... Even the toughest athletes need to replinish what they take out and sometimes even that isn't enough.......... and I do think KHSAA has an ordiance in place concerning heat index don't they??

phs1986 Wrote:I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.... Although 94 degrees doesn't seem that "hot", when on a turf field, add you about 5 to 10 degrees to that.... that would put you up to about 99 to 104 degrees.... THAT is too hot to be running and losing fluids.... Even the toughest athletes need to replinish what they take out and sometimes even that isn't enough.......... and I do think KHSAA has an ordiance in place concerning heat index don't they??
I was under the impression Heat Index was the on field temperature.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:If you cant handle the heat don't get on the field. 94 degrees is a perfectly fine temperature to have a practice outside as long as the right precautions are taken.

Right, except it sounds like those precautions were not taken! Once agian you are sounding very immature. The reason you have adults as coaches, is because they are the ones that are suppose to have more life experience and make the right decisions. High school kids think they are immortal and it is the adults responsibility to remind them that they are not!! Once agian I am guessing you are a high school kid that has not lived long enough to see the seriousness of the issue and this will change as you mature. If you are not a high school kid, it is sad that there are adults out there that think the way you are thinking.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I was under the impression Heat Index was the on field temperature.

I know the heat index cutoff is 104 degrees, i don't now if that is the field temperature or not though.
sstack Wrote:Right, except it sounds like those precautions were not taken! Once agian you are sounding very immature. The reason you have adults as coaches, is because they are the ones that are suppose to have more life experience and make the right decisions. High school kids think they are immortal and it is the adults responsibility to remind them that they are not!! Once agian I am guessing you are a high school kid that has not lived long enough to see the seriousness of the issue and this will change as you mature. If you are not a high school kid, it is sad that there are adults out there that think the way you are thinking.

If the precautions were not taken then the coach should get most of the blame, but so should the doctor who allowed the kid to go out for the sport with the medication he was on, that dehydrated him. If the precautions were taken and it was just a freak accident then i don't think the coach should be held accountable.
D
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:If the precautions were not taken then the coach should get most of the blame, but so should the doctor who allowed the kid to go out for the sport with the medication he was on, that dehydrated him. If the precautions were taken and it was just a freak accident then i don't think the coach should be held accountable.

I agree, but this is not what you said earlier. I also would need a medical expert to show that meds for ADHD cause dehydration. I work in the medical field and have never heard that before. Like I said earlier, I would not convict this guy without all the evidence, but what I have heard does not sound good.

Just viewed your profile and see that you are only 16, which is no surprise(I guessed right in earlier post from your responses.) Hope you respect your elders, because you have a lot to learn. I am not disrespecting you, because I was the same way when I was your age.
that's horrible
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:Well they need to find out if it is true first. If i was out there practicing and i was feeling so bad i thought it was hazardous to my health, i wouldn't give a #### what my coach said. 94 degrees is nothing, i have been to practices hotter with pads on, just like million of other kids who have.

God i played in a middle school game this year and the heat index had to be at least 105-110. I know the temperature was 97
Until all the facts are known, why are people so quick to judgement? Things happen period. Sometimes bad things happen and I think that this was the case here. All that were involved with this kid should have know about the ADHD and looked at the medicine. The medicine will dehydrate you in some cases but not all.
In this very rare and isolated incident no one is responsible. Heat injuries happen many places away from the field. There are thousands of heat injuries all over the nation each year with some being fatal. I take personal measures to insure that i am properly hydrated. I do not feel that highschool programs stress the importance of the issue enough though. They should be required to give classes on the issue. it is not the fault of any one person. If i were a coach i would never use the tactic myself but it is common punishment. Being hydrated is the single most important thing for your mind and body to perform. There are signs of heat illness and prventive measures that combat it so they need to start training this.
C.Clair Wrote:Until all the facts are known, why are people so quick to judgement? Things happen period. Sometimes bad things happen and I think that this was the case here. All that were involved with this kid should have know about the ADHD and looked at the medicine. The medicine will dehydrate you in some cases but not all.

Yeah just look at the Highlands Cannon incident.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I was under the impression Heat Index was the on field temperature.

Heat index is a cross between temperature and the humidty. The temp might be 94 but the heat index due to humidty can push it to a higher level. You are required to have a sheet that tells when you took the reading and what the reading was. Not the temp but the (I am going to miss spell this) cycromerter reading. The KHSAA has a chart you have to follow. That changes depending on the sport. Baseball can play at a much higher temp/index then football.

To Pond Creek Nation: If the temp was that high for everyone involved they better hope they took a reading. Something happens at all and it was their tail ends. Field turf will drive up the reading even more then grass.

It has been said the kid was on Adderall(sp?) and that it can cause dehydration. No clue if it was on his physical and as far as I know the parents do not have to say the student is on it. I am sure more parents will inform their coaches and more coaches will ask some questions.
barrel Wrote:Heat index is a cross between temperature and the humidty. The temp might be 94 but the heat index due to humidty can push it to a higher level. You are required to have a sheet that tells when you took the reading and what the reading was. Not the temp but the (I am going to miss spell this) cycromerter reading. The KHSAA has a chart you have to follow. That changes depending on the sport. Baseball can play at a much higher temp/index then football.

To Pond Creek Nation: If the temp was that high for everyone involved they better hope they took a reading. Something happens at all and it was their tail ends. Field turf will drive up the reading even more then grass.

It has been said the kid was on Adderall(sp?) and that it can cause dehydration. No clue if it was on his physical and as far as I know the parents do not have to say the student is on it. I am sure more parents will inform their coaches and more coaches will ask some questions.

Coach Haywood has readings taken several different times throughout the day during practice days.... SEVERAL times practice was cancelled until 7 p.m. or later due to the heat index..... He is very cautious and very aware of the sanctions set forth by the KHSAA.....

I believe Pond Creek Nations comment was about a middle school game. KHSAA is responsible for High School sports. So my question is- is anyone regulating the middle school programs and the heat index at their practices and games?