Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buckhorn 71 - Lee Co. 49
Wow! Did not expect this big of a win for Buckhorn, congrats!
I picked this one! Congrats Horn!
Congrats to the Da Horn. Lee stunk up the place. I am not sure this team has what it takes to win. There is something missing, and it is starting to look like determination. I hope they can find thier spirit because if they don't, this club may go down as one of the most disappointing in years. Great kids and very talented just need to kick it up a notch. C'mon Bobcats play like you have s omething to prove.
great kids just have not gotten it together.
Buckhorn has surprised me so far this season.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Wow! Did not expect this big of a win for Buckhorn, congrats!

I agree, congrats Buckhorn!! Good luck
JOBAKKA Wrote:Congrats to the Da Horn. Lee stunk up the place. I am not sure this team has what it takes to win. There is something missing, and it is starting to look like determination. I hope they can find thier spirit because if they don't, this club may go down as one of the most disappointing in years. Great kids and very talented just need to kick it up a notch. C'mon Bobcats play like you have s omething to prove.

JOBAKKA, you are being too nice. You know exactly what is missing. I know a lot of coaches who would give their right arm, and left, to coach this team.
Congrats Buckhorn! I like the Wildcats.
June Buchanan 83 Jackson City 47

June Buchanan 21 18 22 22 83

Jackson City 10 7 6 24 47

14th Region All 'A' Classic
Second round at Jackson City
June Buchanan (10-6) -- G. Collins 14, Stepp 12, Childers 8, Howard 16, Hall 17, Amburgey 10, L. Collins 2, Thomas 4.
Jackson City (4-10) -- Hayes 13, Gayheart 13, Sierra 9, Hollan 2, Stacey 2, Delph 8
Congrats Horn!
Stardust Wrote:June Buchanan 83 Jackson City 47

June Buchanan (10-6) -- G. Collins 14, Stepp 12, Childers 8, Howard 16, Hall 17, Amburgey 10, L. Collins 2, Thomas 4.
Jackson City (4-10) -- Hayes 13, Gayheart 13, Sierra 9, Hollan 2, Stacey 2, Delph 8

what does this have to do with the lee co/buckhorn game?
Stardust Wrote:June Buchanan 83 Jackson City 47

Wrong stats Stardust:p
Lee County has got the talent. But what good are a hundred individual horses with no way to get them together to pull a train...know what I mean? The problem lies with coaching IMO. The players just don't respect him in a basketball setting. As a longtime fan of the Bobcats, we hear the same excuses and see the same mistakes year after year. Our big men are TERRIBLY underutilized, and we shoot WAY too many 3's. Its incredible. A couple of guys I was sitting with last night kept looking at each other and noticing how the players just don't pay attention to Coach Wright. He yells and screams a big game, but just dosen't get through to the players.
Umm...what happened to Lee?..
Unmotivated players and poor game plan along with no desire to get the ball inside. TOO MANY 3's!!!!!!!!! Good lord.
Gossimer Wump Wrote:Unmotivated players and poor game plan along with no desire to get the ball inside. TOO MANY 3's!!!!!!!!! Good lord.
I do agree with you on most everything you have had to say. But I do know that Coach consistantly tries to get the ball to go inside. Now if the players don't do what he wants he needs to sit them and I think that is where he may not be as effective because he gives them plenty of oppurtuninity to do as asked. He is probaly to good to the boys but we can all sit back and see the errors but getting the changes done are alot harder when your in his shoes. Everyone coaches, players must take this time to rededicate themselves to salvaging this season and decide to give it 110% from here on out or we can look ahead to baseball season. We are talented but not performing and that is an individual decision to play like a champion or just play. I say play with heart or don't play at all. But what it comes down to is we are fans and we must continue to support our team and hope they get it. Let the coaches coach and the players play History will be thier judge.IMHO
JOBAKKA Wrote:I do agree with you on most everything you have had to say. But I do know that Coach consistantly tries to get the ball to go inside. Now if the players don't do what he wants he needs to sit them and I think that is where he may not be as effective because he gives them plenty of oppurtuninity to do as asked. He is probaly to good to the boys but we can all sit back and see the errors but getting the changes done are alot harder when your in his shoes. Everyone coaches, players must take this time to rededicate themselves to salvaging this season and decide to give it 110% from here on out or we can look ahead to baseball season. We are talented but not performing and that is an individual decision to play like a champion or just play. I say play with heart or don't play at all. But what it comes down to is we are fans and we must continue to support our team and hope they get it. Let the coaches coach and the players play History will be thier judge.IMHO

Is it not one of the main jobs of a coach to motivate players? Coach Wright does not do that. He is a reactive coach, not a proactive one. How many games are we into the season? You say he tries to get the ball inside? How? By telling the players to? Well if they won’t, sit them and let someone who will (the Reese boy) get in and do it. Sit these boys who don't play D and just jack up the 3 ball. And, yes the Reese boy did make a few mistakes last night, but how do you put someone in the game down by 14 and expect them to change things...especially when they know they are coming out after any mistake. He is just not a fair coach. Some can do no wrong, some can do no right. Coach is a great guy, great to the boys and never lets anything happen to them (I was impressed with him at Morgan County. He got the boys off the floor just in case something was to happen and when they came back out he tried to keep the game composed with a volatile crowd...me included.lol.) But he is not the answer. Lee County has peaked with Coach Wright at the helm. They consistently underachieve. They have had the talent (Twins, Ken etc...) and have just flat out underachieved.
I must say i was wrong about this game. I hope Lee Co. gets it together because this team is all around a good ball team. They need to step up the D and get the ball in the post. I mean how do you have a 6 foot 6 center and him only touch the ball like 4 or 5 times in a whole ball game, these gaurds need to go inside and the ball will come back out. Good luck to Lee Co. I hope you all get it together before Districts.
Gossimer Wump Wrote:Is it not one of the main jobs of a coach to motivate players? Coach Wright does not do that. He is a reactive coach, not a proactive one. How many games are we into the season? You say he tries to get the ball inside? How? By telling the players to? Well if they won’t, sit them and let someone who will (the Reese boy) get in and do it. Sit these boys who don't play D and just jack up the 3 ball. And, yes the Reese boy did make a few mistakes last night, but how do you put someone in the game down by 14 and expect them to change things...especially when they know they are coming out after any mistake. He is just not a fair coach. Some can do no wrong, some can do no right. Coach is a great guy, great to the boys and never lets anything happen to them (I was impressed with him at Morgan County. He got the boys off the floor just in case something was to happen and when they came back out he tried to keep the game composed with a volatile crowd...me included.lol.) But he is not the answer. Lee County has peaked with Coach Wright at the helm. They consistently underachieve. They have had the talent (Twins, Ken etc...) and have just flat out underachieved.
We do agree if the kids dont follow the gameplan the sit them down. I bet next game you will see inside/out more often than not. Yes I do not agree with him on everything he does but here is the deal he is the coach of the Lee County High School boys basketball team and as a fan of Lee County I support him and the kids as one unit. They represent the school and its fans and when thngs are bad there is enough blame to go around. So the whole group should win or lose as one. The players play and the coaches coach. Usually the coach should get the support and backing. While I mean no disrespect to your opinion, I may see things a little different but you have solid points to discuss. I do want to thank you for your continued support of the team over the years and lets get behind this group and hope they all wake up. We must one here in Bobcat nation.
Smile Wink Smile Wink
Gossimer Wump Wrote:Is it not one of the main jobs of a coach to motivate players? Coach Wright does not do that. He is a reactive coach, not a proactive one. How many games are we into the season? You say he tries to get the ball inside? How? By telling the players to? Well if they won’t, sit them and let someone who will (the Reese boy) get in and do it. Sit these boys who don't play D and just jack up the 3 ball. And, yes the Reese boy did make a few mistakes last night, but how do you put someone in the game down by 14 and expect them to change things...especially when they know they are coming out after any mistake. He is just not a fair coach. Some can do no wrong, some can do no right. Coach is a great guy, great to the boys and never lets anything happen to them (I was impressed with him at Morgan County. He got the boys off the floor just in case something was to happen and when they came back out he tried to keep the game composed with a volatile crowd...me included.lol.) But he is not the answer. Lee County has peaked with Coach Wright at the helm. They consistently underachieve. They have had the talent (Twins, Ken etc...) and have just flat out underachieved.

good post..coach wright is a good coach and he has a good team to coach..they just need a little more fight in them..something to make them all mad and play hard...this is charles and pelfrey and campbell's last season so they better find some heart in them and start playing hard..they need to understand that if they can get the ball inside and establish pelfrey in the post then thier jumpshots and drives to the lane will be made so much easier...lee co has had the talent in the past years and have consisently underachieved...with the exception of the 05-06 team with taulbee and rich who went 24-7 and won the district and didnt lost to a team in the district the entire season..won the All A 14th region, Johnson Central Country Music Highway tourney, and the regular season district title...should have made it to atleast the finals in the region but were cut short by leslie co
I would like to chime in here that in the first meeting Lee was successful in getting the ball inside and won the game. In this game, Buckhorn's coach had his team prepared to defend the post - Pelfrey was double teamed every time that he touched the ball and was still a little tentative with his injured foot.

Buckhorn's coach had them prepared. Surely everyone saw that.

How many times should the ball be thrown away trying to pass it inside to a double-teamed player? In this game, the ball should have gone inside but to different post players (Campbell or Pittman), but the sets were not designed for that.
ARC Wrote:I would like to chime in here that in the first meeting Lee was successful in getting the ball inside and won the game. In this game, Buckhorn's coach had his team prepared to defend the post - Pelfrey was double teamed every time that he touched the ball and was still a little tentative with his injured foot.

Buckhorn's coach had them prepared. Surely everyone saw that.

How many times should the ball be thrown away trying to pass it inside to a double-teamed player? In this game, the ball should have gone inside but to different post players (Campbell or Pittman), but the sets were not designed for that.
Lee only had 9 TO for the game and most of them did not come from feeding the post. Inside/out has proven to increase FG% from downtown. The defense from Lee is what i was most disappointed in. Usually Lee is very strong on the defensive end but in this game, Buckhorn did whatever it wanted. We can do better, I feel we are as talented as about any team in the region we just need to be hungry. I am going to support the Bobcats no matter what though and hope for better results.
I thought everyone liked coach Wright..What happened!???
I think that Coach Wright would gladly accept the blame for this loss because most good coaches do that. However, I just thought Buckhorn played a better game. They did an excellent job on Pelphrey and Charles and regardless of the amount of talent on Lee's team, it is pretty obvious that everything has to go through Charles and Pelphrey for them to be successful and Buckhorn took them out of the game. I, also, thought Pelphrey still looked a little hobbled by the ankle injury.

At some point, some of the other talent on the team has to step up and make plays on both ends. The other players on the team got shot attempts, but just didn't convert and, defensively, I thought they all could have been better.

I don't think everyone should be coming down on Coach Wright, though. He is a good coach and, more importantly, a good role model for his kids. They will learn from this game and be better because of it.
JOBAKKA Wrote:Lee only had 9 TO for the game and most of them did not come from feeding the post. Inside/out has proven to increase FG% from downtown. The defense from Lee is what i was most disappointed in. Usually Lee is very strong on the defensive end but in this game, Buckhorn did whatever it wanted. We can do better, I feel we are as talented as about any team in the region we just need to be hungry. I am going to support the Bobcats no matter what though and hope for better results.

Agree...defense was barely there, especially in the second half. I remember 3 or 4 consecutive turnovers throwing the ball inside - mostly when Buckhorn overplayed and jumped around Pelfrey. The lob wasn't working either. When the ball did get in the paint, there was little success. I know that I saw that Pelfrey was doubled every time that he touched the ball. he couldn't turn because of the help defense. Buckhorn was prepared to guard Pelfrey in the post, and I don't think that Lee was prepared with optional interior play. The three was not the answer, and seldom is.

Lee also did not rebound well, and I can't figure that out.
ARC Wrote:Agree...defense was barely there, especially in the second half. I remember 3 or 4 consecutive turnovers throwing the ball inside - mostly when Buckhorn overplayed and jumped around Pelfrey. The lob wasn't working either. When the ball did get in the paint, there was little success. I know that I saw that Pelfrey was doubled every time that he touched the ball. he couldn't turn because of the help defense. Buckhorn was prepared to guard Pelfrey in the post, and I don't think that Lee was prepared with optional interior play. The three was not the answer, and seldom is.

Lee also did not rebound well, and I can't figure that out.

Lee is a big team and should outrebound almost every team they play..when pelfrey gets the ball in the post and gets double teams like buckhorn did..the other players for lee must recognize that their defender has helped and either cut to the basket or screen another guy to get him open..3 guys cant guard 4 so someone has to work and get open either for a jumpshot or a slash to the basket
theflash Wrote:..3 guys cant guard 4 so someone has to work and get open either for a jumpshot or a slash to the basket

I agree, and in addition to that, they have to MAKE those jumpshots and slashes.

In my eyes, if Lee is not rebounding well they probably will not be doing anything else very well either. I wonder what the team and individual rebounding was for the game.
ARC Wrote:I agree, and in addition to that, they have to MAKE those jumpshots and slashes.

In my eyes, if Lee is not rebounding well they probably will not be doing anything else very well either. I wonder what the team and individual rebounding was for the game.

that is true...they have got to make the shots and cuts to the goal..pelfrey also has to recognize whos open and i believe he is capable of these decisions..i agree that if they arent rebounding well then everything else is down also..pelfrey should get double figures in rebounds about every game..i think this will be a wake up call for lee co and they need to play defense and rebound..their offense will come because all 5 starters are capable of scoring in double figures.
ARC Wrote:I agree, and in addition to that, they have to MAKE those jumpshots and slashes.

Just for the record Lee won the rebound battle, they won every quarter but the 3rd on the boards.
Let me set something striaght, I like Coach Wright. I think he needs to be consistant. He has a good basketball mind, but when players don't run the plays, or take dumb 3's, its time to sit them. I'm not saying to fire him, I would like to see some discipline, meaningfull discipline.