Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BluegrassRivals.com Boys Basketball Eastern Kentucky Top 20 (Jan. 21)
BGR's EKY Top 20 1/21

1. Elliott County
2. Corbin
3. Shelby Valley
4. South Laurel
5. West Carter
6. Hazard
7. Knott Co. Central
8. Perry Co. Central
9. Middlesboro
10. Knox Central
11. Clay County
12. Fairview
13. Letcher Co. Central
14. Johnson Central
15. Bath County
16. Harlan County
17. June Buchanan
18. Pikeville
19. East Carter

20. Rose Hill Christian
(T) Morgan County
I've got a problem with Pikeville being in there before Prestonsburg. That doesn't make much sense.
Pikeville does deserve to be in there. They had a HUGE win over a #17 East Ridge Team (at the time) and hasnt lost many game (if any) snice.
Knott Central has beat Hazard twice and Shelby valley once?
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I've got a problem with Pikeville being in there before Prestonsburg. That doesn't make much sense.

I don't think Pikeville should be in there, but they did win 5-straight before falling to Valley in the All "A".

Benchwarmer Wrote:Knott Central has beat Hazard twice and Shelby valley once?

I do agree. I voted them higher than Hazard.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I don't think Pikeville should be in there, but they did win 5-straight before falling to Valley in the All "A".

I do agree. I voted them higher than Hazard.

Yeah, I agree. With the two wins over Hazard they should have definitely been above them.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Knott Central has beat Hazard twice and Shelby valley once?

I agree they should be over Hazard, but Valley was without a player against KCC and has more impressive wins than KCC.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I've got a problem with Pikeville being in there before Prestonsburg. That doesn't make much sense.

I think it makes perfect sense. I did rank Pikeville and not P-Burg in my rank list, and here's why:

Pikeville currently sits at 11-7, P-Burg at 9-7. They have played twice and split the two games.

Pikeville's best wins include a neutral-site victory over June Buchanan, and road wins at East Ridge and Lawrence Co. P-Burg's best win so far is over Betsy Layne at home.

Bottom line is Pikeville has the better overall record and better wins, thus the better profile. If you want to argue Pikeville not being in the top 20, I'll buy that argument, because they have not always played well this year. But I disagree with your assertion that P-Burg should be in ahead of them, they haven't shown me any reason to rank them up to this point. Still, we have to rank somebody in those last few spots, and in my opinion Pikeville deserved one of them this week.

Of course, that may all change by next week...
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I think it makes perfect sense. I did rank Pikeville and not P-Burg in my rank list, and here's why:

Pikeville currently sits at 11-7, P-Burg at 9-7. They have played twice and split the two games.

Pikeville's best wins include a neutral-site victory over June Buchanan, and road wins at East Ridge and Lawrence Co. P-Burg's best win so far is over Betsy Layne at home.

Bottom line is Pikeville has the better overall record and better wins, thus the better profile. If you want to argue Pikeville not being in the top 20, I'll buy that argument, because they have not always played well this year. But I disagree with your assertion that P-Burg should be in ahead of them, they haven't shown me any reason to rank them up to this point. Still, we have to rank somebody in those last few spots, and in my opinion Pikeville deserved one of them this week.

Of course, that may all change by next week...

Well Prestonsburg last beat Pikeville by 19 is my argument.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Well Prestonsburg last beat Pikeville by 19 is my argument.

Yes they did, but that game was at a neutral site. However, Pikeville earned their win in this series at Prestonsburg's home court. Even though it was by a closer margin, the fact that it was a road win gives that victory a little more credit in my book.

Still, even if you say P-Burg has an edge due to the respective victory margins in their two games, Pikeville still has the better overall profile because of the wins I mentioned above. That is why I would still rank them higher, despite the blowout loss to SV.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Yes they did, but that game was at a neutral site. However, Pikeville earned their win in this series at Prestonsburg's home court. Even though it was by a closer margin, the fact that it was a road win gives that victory a little more credit in my book.

Still, even if you say P-Burg has an edge due to the respective victory margins in their two games, Pikeville still has the better overall profile because of the wins I mentioned above. That is why I would still rank them higher, despite the blowout loss to SV.

I can see and respect your argument. I don't think the outcome to Prestonsburg and Shelby Valley's game on Friday will be much different than Pikeville's anyway.:p
More Cowbell Wrote:Yes they did, but that game was at a neutral site. However, Pikeville earned their win in this series at Prestonsburg's home court. Even though it was by a closer margin, the fact that it was a road win gives that victory a little more credit in my book.

I still don't see how a win on a last second shot at Prestonsburg is somehow better than pburg dominating Pikeville at a neutral site. Prestonsburg is the better team, they should be ranked higher than Pikeville.
blackcat_mc Wrote:I still don't see how a win on a last second shot at Prestonsburg is somehow better than pburg dominating Pikeville at a neutral site. Prestonsburg is the better team, they should be ranked higher than Pikeville.

Maybe I worded myself wrong, I didn't mean to imply that Pikeville's win over Prestonsburg was somehow better than P-Burg's win. What I meant was that because it was on the road, I give Pikeville's 2 point win a little more credit than I would have if that close win had been on a neutral court. I also admit that by comparing just the margin of victories in the two games, Prestonsburg would get the edge.

However, you have to look deeper than that. Go beyond just those two games, and see that each team has done all season. Who has P-Burg beaten to brag about? Other than beating Pikeville, their best win is over Betsy Layne at home, followed by the Phelps win in the Expo this week. After that, it's slim pickings. Pikeville, on the other hand, has picked up impressive road wins over both East Ridge and Lawrence Co., in addition to a neutral site win over June Buchanan.

As for your last statement, it's entirely possible that Prestonsburg may be the better team. But based on what they've actually shown so far this year, there's way more evidence to rank Pikeville than there is for P-Burg.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Maybe I worded myself wrong, I didn't mean to imply that Pikeville's win over Prestonsburg was somehow better than P-Burg's win. What I meant was that because it was on the road, I give Pikeville's 2 point win a little more credit than I would have if that close win had been on a neutral court. I also admit that by comparing just the margin of victories in the two games, Prestonsburg would get the edge.

However, you have to look deeper than that. Go beyond just those two games, and see that each team has done all season. Who has P-Burg beaten to brag about? Other than beating Pikeville, their best win is over Betsy Layne at home, followed by the Phelps win in the Expo this week. After that, it's slim pickings. Pikeville, on the other hand, has picked up impressive road wins over both East Ridge and Lawrence Co., in addition to a neutral site win over June Buchanan.

As for your last statement, it's entirely possible that Prestonsburg may be the better team. But based on what they've actually shown so far this year, there's way more evidence to rank Pikeville than there is for P-Burg.

Prestonsburg has played a much tougher schedule. Losses to Highlands and Scott County aren't exactly anything for anyone that plays for Pburg to kick themselves over. Not to mention playing a very tough JC team on the road twice, who Pikeville has also lost to. Pikeville lost to Phelps, who pburg (for the most part) had little trouble beating. I believe that if on a neutral court, Prestonsburg obviously proved they were the better team, there is no reason they shouldn't be ranked ahead of Pikeville. If you aren't ranking what teams are better than the other, what are you ranking?
blackcat_mc Wrote:Prestonsburg has played a much tougher schedule. Losses to Highlands and Scott County aren't exactly anything for anyone that plays for Pburg to kick themselves over. Not to mention playing a very tough JC team on the road twice, who Pikeville has also lost to. Pikeville lost to Phelps, who pburg (for the most part) had little trouble beating. I believe that if on a neutral court, Prestonsburg obviously proved they were the better team, there is no reason they shouldn't be ranked ahead of Pikeville. If you aren't ranking what teams are better than the other, what are you ranking?

I am ranking what teams are better than the other. That's what a rank list is, right? And according to what each team has done so far this year, there is a lot more evidence to say Pikeville is the better team.

First off, bragging about who you lost to gets you nowhere. Especially when the two games you mention were both 40+ point losses. Pikeville fans could also say they played Shelby Valley twice and Hazard once, so to say P-Burg has played a much tougher schedule doesn't hold water. But again, Pikeville was blown out in all three of those games, just like Prestonsburg was in the two games you mentioned, so they really don't add any credit to either team.

Second, if you're playing the comparison game, yes Pikeville did lose to Phelps, who Prestonsburg later beat. But on the other hand, Pikeville did beat June Buchanan, who then turned around and beat P-Burg. So those two comparisons are at best a wash.

Finally, Prestonsburg may have proved they were the better team on a neutral court. But Pikeville proved they were the better team on Prestonsburg's home floor. So what does that say? It says that these are two similar teams, and either team could win if they played again.

But right now, Pikeville owns huge road wins against Lawrence Co. and East Ridge, while Prestonsburg does not have a win as good as either of those two. So there is plenty of reason to rank Pikeville ahead of the Blackcats.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I am ranking what teams are better than the other. That's what a rank list is, right? And according to what each team has done so far this year, there is a lot more evidence to say Pikeville is the better team.

First off, bragging about who you lost to gets you nowhere. Especially when the two games you mention were both 40+ point losses. Pikeville fans could also say they played Shelby Valley twice and Hazard once, so to say P-Burg has played a much tougher schedule doesn't hold water. But again, Pikeville was blown out in all three of those games, just like Prestonsburg was in the two games you mentioned, so they really don't add any credit to either team.

Second, if you're playing the comparison game, yes Pikeville did lose to Phelps, who Prestonsburg later beat. But on the other hand, Pikeville did beat June Buchanan, who then turned around and beat P-Burg. So those two comparisons are at best a wash.

Finally, Prestonsburg may have proved they were the better team on a neutral court. But Pikeville proved they were the better team on Prestonsburg's home floor. So what does that say? It says that these are two similar teams, and either team could win if they played again.

But right now, Pikeville owns huge road wins against Lawrence Co. and East Ridge, while Prestonsburg does not have a win as good as either of those two. So there is plenty of reason to rank Pikeville ahead of the Blackcats.
So Prestonsburg has 1 win against a currently ranked team (ironically which is Pikeville) and Pikeville has 1 against a currently ranked team. Lawerence and East Ridge are good teams, then again so is Betsy Layne. That win shouldn't be downplayed just because it was at home. In fact, Betsy Layne beat East Ridge just three games before losing to prestonsburg by 17. I just don't see how in the last match-up when Pikeville was beat by pburg by 19 how Pikeville can be ranked when Prestonsburg isn't. I could see how that would work if the last matchup was close, but 19 points isnt exactly a game that could have went either way, like the first game was when a last second shot gave Pikeville the win.
blackcat_mc Wrote:So Prestonsburg has 1 win against a currently ranked team (ironically which is Pikeville) and Pikeville has 1 against a currently ranked team. Lawerence and East Ridge are good teams, then again so is Betsy Layne. That win shouldn't be downplayed just because it was at home. In fact, Betsy Layne beat East Ridge just three games before losing to prestonsburg by 17. I just don't see how in the last match-up when Pikeville was beat by pburg by 19 how Pikeville can be ranked when Prestonsburg isn't. I could see how that would work if the last matchup was close, but 19 points isnt exactly a game that could have went either way, like the first game was when a last second shot gave Pikeville the win.

Well, to say each has a win against a top 20 team is misleading, since Prestonsburg's only win is against Pikeville, like you said. Since each team owns a win against each other, Pikeville is the only one of the two that can claim a win against another ranked school. If you want to equate East Ridge and Betsy Layne I will go along with that, but Pikeville's win over ER was more impressive because it was on the road, while P-Burg's win over BL was at home. That's not downplaying the win over BL, just giving credit to the fact that it's harder to win on the road than at home. If two teams have wins over two similar schools, the win on the road should get more credit than the one at home. Not to mention Pikeville also owns that win at Lawrence Co.

As for the matchups between the two, whether it was a last-second shot that won the game doesn't matter. A win is still a win, not to mention a road win in front of a gym full of hostile fans. Pikeville was the better team that night, just like P-Burg was the second time they played. But overall, looking at the entire season, there is still more reason to rank Pikeville than P-Burg.

Anyway, I have my reasons and you disagree with them, which is cool. We will just have to disagree here. But it's late and I'm going to bed, so that is all from me for now. Big Grin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i hate to admit it but i would agree id put knott co. above hazard
hazard reject Wrote:i hate to admit it but i would agree id put knott co. above hazard

i wouldnt. since michael campbell left the team, the bulldogs are firing on all cylinders. not to mention we beat perry, who beat knott.
hazard_tailgater2010 Wrote:i wouldnt. since michael campbell left the team, the bulldogs are firing on all cylinders. not to mention we beat perry, who beat knott.

KCC lost to PCC, who lost to Hazard, who lost to KCC twice. You figure it out.

I say these three teams should be tied for the number 6 spot.
hazard_tailgater2010 Wrote:i wouldnt. since michael campbell left the team, the bulldogs are firing on all cylinders. not to mention we beat perry, who beat knott.

it would not matter if perry beat elliott co. knott co. beat us twice head to head once on our home floor.that is what you base it on.jmo.i went to hazard when i was in school but the facts are the facts thats why i hate 2 admit it.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:BGR's EKY Top 20 1/21

1. Elliott County
2. Corbin
3. Shelby Valley
4. South Laurel
5. West Carter
6. Hazard
7. Knott Co. Central
8. Perry Co. Central
9. Middlesboro
10. Knox Central
11. Clay County
12. Fairview
13. Letcher Co. Central
14. Johnson Central
15. Bath County
16. Harlan County
17. June Buchanan
18. Pikeville
19. East Carter

20. Rose Hill Christian
(T) Morgan County

How can Corbin be rated above SV in this poll and in BGR'S Boys Top 20

Poll SV is ranked 15th and Corbin is ranked 18th? Will someone please

explain BGR'S logic to me?
dortonite Wrote:How can Corbin be rated above SV in this poll and in BGR'S Boys Top 20

Good point, Shelby Valley was edged out in the EKY Rankings by a point or two, but the people who put them ahead of Corbin ranked them anywhere between 14-16, while the people who voted for Corbin often put them in the 15-20 range, so Shelby Valley edged them out that way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
outdoorsman43 Wrote:KCC lost to PCC, who lost to Hazard, who lost to KCC twice. You figure it out.

I say these three teams should be tied for the number 6 spot.

I can agree with this.
dortonite Wrote:How can Corbin be rated above SV in this poll and in BGR'S Boys Top 20

I agree dortonite there's defiitely something off there.
pcc has to be in front of knott co since they just beat um 4 the 2nd time
Our next rankings will not be posted until Monday, February 2nd.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Our next rankings will not be posted until Monday, February 2nd.

Should be interesting!!!!
dortonite Wrote:Should be interesting!!!!

Nothing interesting to it, Valley is the clear #1.