Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quarterbacks at Russell
I am very new to russell football and have only been watching them for 10 years. My questions is this. Has Russell ever had a quarterback, lets say in the past 40 years that was a pin point passer, could scramble if the recievers are covered, and had the talents to get attention at the next level?
Jeepman Wrote:I am very new to russell football and have only been watching them for 10 years. My questions is this. Has Russell ever had a quarterback, lets say in the past 40 years that was a pin point passer, could scramble if the recievers are covered, and had the talents to get attention at the next level?

You don't have to go back to far. Tyler Jones was that kind of player in 2006.

There have been alot of good QBs at Russell.

*John Hillman was All-State and a High School All American in 1972

*Greg Childers was Honerable Mention All State as a QB in 1974

*Brent Muncy most will say was the best QB ever at Russell. He was Honorable Mention All State in 1977 and All State in 1978. Went to EKU.

*Mike Couchot was All Area in 1982. Went to Centre.

*Ryan Watkins probably had the most raw talent of anybody that has played QB at Russell. Was All Area in 1986 and 1987 but did not play football his senior yearin 88.

*Drew Ramey was an amazing scrambler. Probably the best runner ever at Russell besides Josh Gross. All Area in 1995, All Area and Honorable Mention All State in 1996. Went to play at Georgetown.

*Tyler Wyant put up some really good numbers in 1998 throwing for 1,516 yards. That was a year in which Russell had a 1,500 yard passer, a 1,000 yard reciever but nobody that rushed for 1,000 yards. Who said you can't throw from the Wing T? I guess Coach McGlone just lost his mind that year.

*Michael Gabbard was All Area in 2000,2001 and 2002 and Honorable Mention All-State as a DB in 2002. Went on to play LB at Georgetown.

*Tommy Brown was very talented and put up good numbers in 2005. He had alot of potential.

Thats about all I can remember. I never saw Hillman and Childers but I can remember watching Muncy when I was 7 years old.
Fball either has one good memory or one heck of a data base. I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Had they been given the chance I agree that Brown, Gabbard, and Jones, had the talent to run the spread.

Did you ever get to see John Hillman play? High School All American is very impressive.
Drew Ramey was an animal. I have some film of him.
Jeepman Wrote:Fball either has one good memory or one heck of a data base. I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Had they been given the chance I agree that Brown, Gabbard, and Jones, had the talent to run the spread.

Did you ever get to see John Hillman play? High School All American is very impressive.

You forgot to read my last sentence. Big Grin

I never saw Hillman or Childers but my older brother played with those guys. I can remember watching Muncy when I was only 7 years old but just barely. The rest I remember pretty well.
I agree with FBALL Tyler Wyant was one of if not the best QB to come through there when it came to passing the ball. He was as pin point as you could get on some occasion. Sure he had trouble with the head game, but i think Tyler should definetely be on the top of that list. I mean he does hold every passing record at Russell High School.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I agree with FBALL Tyler Wyant was one of if not the best QB to come through there when it came to passing the ball. He was as pin point as you could get on some occasion. Sure he had trouble with the head game, but i think Tyler should definetely be on the top of that list. I mean he does hold every passing record at Russell High School.

Tyler Wyant would have been very good in a spread offense. Actually Wyant is pretty sharp. He just had a little bit of a temper but I thought he was a pretty good kid.

Which Tyler are you saying holds every Russell passing record?
FBALL Wrote:Tyler Wyant would have been very good in a spread offense. Actually Wyant is pretty sharp. He just had a little bit of a temper but I thought he was a pretty good kid.

Which Tyler are you saying holds every Russell passing record?

Wyant has the records.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Wyant has the records.
Single season yes.

Gabbard is the schools all time career passing leader with 2,523 yards.

Wyant has the single season record with 1,516.

Jones I think has the record for most TD passess in a career.
FBALL Wrote:Single season yes.

Gabbard is the schools all time career passing leader with 2,523 yards.

Wyant has the single season record with 1,516.

Jones I think has the record for most TD passess in a career.

Yea i seen where Jones had the TD passes, but the book I have in front of me says that Wyant has the career yardage record?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Yea i seen where Jones had the TD passes, but the book I have in front of me says that Wyant has the career yardage record?

Nope. Gabbard had 2,523 passing yards and Wyant had 2,463 passing yards for their careers.

That is out of the "Statistical History of Russell High School Football".
FBALL Wrote:Nope. Gabbard had 2,523 passing yards and Wyant had 2,463 passing yards for their careers.

Okay. How do I get a "statistical History of Russell High School Football"? I had the book that came out 3 or 4 years ago but one of my friends thought they needed it more than I did and I don't know who has it.
FBALL Wrote:You don't have to go back to far. Tyler Jones was that kind of player in 2006.

There have been alot of good QBs at Russell.

*John Hillman was All-State and a High School All American in 1972

*Greg Childers was Honerable Mention All State as a QB in 1974

*Brent Muncy most will say was the best QB ever at Russell. He was Honorable Mention All State in 1977 and All State in 1978. Went to EKU.

*Mike Couchot was All Area in 1982. Went to Centre.

*Ryan Watkins probably had the most raw talent of anybody that has played QB at Russell. Was All Area in 1986 and 1987 but did not play football his senior yearin 88.

*Drew Ramey was an amazing scrambler. Probably the best runner ever at Russell besides Josh Gross. All Area in 1995, All Area and Honorable Mention All State in 1996. Went to play at Georgetown.

*Tyler Wyant put up some really good numbers in 1998 throwing for 1,516 yards. That was a year in which Russell had a 1,500 yard passer, a 1,000 yard reciever but nobody that rushed for 1,000 yards. Who said you can't throw from the Wing T? I guess Coach McGlone just lost his mind that year.

*Michael Gabbard was All Area in 2000,2001 and 2002 and Honorable Mention All-State as a DB in 2002. Went on to play LB at Georgetown.

*Tommy Brown was very talented and put up good numbers in 2005. He had alot of potential.

Thats about all I can remember. I never saw Hillman and Childers but I can remember watching Muncy when I was 7 years old.

One more. Matt Robinson. Had a cannon for an arm! 1993-1994!
Jeepman Wrote:Okay. How do I get a "statistical History of Russell High School Football"? I had the book that came out 3 or 4 years ago but one of my friends thought they needed it more than I did and I don't know who has it.
Bill Vallance!
FBALL Wrote:Nope. Gabbard had 2,523 passing yards and Wyant had 2,463 passing yards for their careers.

Ok I guess the one I have is not up to date, or is obviously wrong. Thanks for clearing that up.
Mike Jones was in the backfield when Hillman played I sat right beside Mikes dad the night we played Ashland at home Mike rushed for 3 touchdowns that game his dad asked me howd you like that kid after one of them. Not sure of the yr. but it was when Boyd had Cheney & Keelin. Hillman told me something funny about the night they played Ashland Russell was on about the 5yd.line trying to score Hillman drops back & with no were to throw he hands off to Mike as the Ashland defence arrives ,Hillman not wanting to get hit but they only stand Jones up & turn him around so Jones returns the favor & pitches back to Hillman who was trampled.LOL He said he told him to never do that again.LOL
Of course Gababrd started 3 years, I believe Wyant only started 2.

Best passer is Wyant, best runner is Ramey, the rest were good players, some exceled in both. Jones was a great runner who played out of position, his passes looked like punts sometimes. He had good touch sometimes but not the consitency of some other QB's.

He probably could have garnered scholarships to better schools had he been in the backfield at RB. Same goes for Noah May, he was moved from FB to QB, and it cost him scholarships from some very good programs.
I liked Brent Muncy and Mike Couchot. Back then Russell was strictly a running school so might have not had the chance to pile up any numbers. Mike Couchot also ran the 100 meters in track and racked up alot of blue ribbons. Loved Tyler Jones also just for the fact he had a great arm and would rather run over you than run out of bounds.
Beetle01 Wrote:Of course Gababrd started 3 years, I believe Wyant only started 2.

Best passer is Wyant, best runner is Ramey, the rest were good players, some exceled in both. Jones was a great runner who played out of position, his passes looked like punts sometimes. He had good touch sometimes but not the consitency of some other QB's.

He probably could have garnered scholarships to better schools had he been in the backfield at RB. Same goes for Noah May, he was moved from FB to QB, and it cost him scholarships from some very good programs.

How many scholarships were lost due to letters being lost or position changes? How about maybe these players were not good enough. College cooaches offer scholarships to players all the time who had to play another position in high school. If you can play you will be seen in this day and age.
Beetle01 Wrote:Of course Gababrd started 3 years, I believe Wyant only started 2.

Didn't May get a Scholly to play baseball at Alice Loyd?
Beetle01 Wrote:He probably could have garnered scholarships to better schools had he been in the backfield at RB. Same goes for Noah May, he was moved from FB to QB, and it cost him scholarships from some very good programs.
Sorry, but this antiquated type of thinking is a joke. Colleges have extensive ways of finding high school athletes. It no longer really works the way it did in the old days where high school coaches had to send out information about their players. If a player is big time college material, schools will find them. There is no such thing as coaches losing letters or not sending info out. Schools passed on Tyler Jones (although I think they missed the intangibles) because of his size and speed. He wasn't fast enough to be a RB at a D 1AA or D1 school, wasn't big enough to be a FB, QB, LB or DE at a D 1AA or D1 school.

Big time D1AA and D1 schools recruit athletes. They find the most athletic players that they can get and then shape them into positions (minus linemen). If you are athletic enough and already excel at a position, then so be it, but how many times do you see these big time schools recruit kids that played one position in high school and then they play other positions in college? TONS! However, these kids have to fit the mold of size and speed. Why do you think Josh Gross or Doug Howard never really garnered any college attention while Arliss Beach did? Size and speed. If Noah May, or any other high school football player didn't get a football scholarship, it wasn't because of their high school position. That is "blaming someone else for not making it" crap.
Well lets see most fo the time you'r talking about skill players, who go in as RB's, then maybe switch to WR or DB.

However, for most positions coaches recruit that position. You'r knowledge of recruiting is really pathetic.

you gonna take a kid whos coach's do nothing to help him get recruited, or the kid who's coach's are beating down everyone's door for all their players, whether they are skilled enough for the next level or not?

you gonna take kid who played out of position in HS, a small Hs in the backwoods, who's coaches do not help whatsoever, or a kid who exceled at that position who's coaches are sending you videos, calling, and making visits? How many times has a Russell coach taken kids on campus visits to talk with coach's. This happens at almost every school in there area. Ashland and Raceland quite a bit. They have had no more talent than Russell.

LOL I remember Arliss Beach crying and quitting 2 years in a row against us, if he was at Russell, he maybe would have been able to walk on at Morehead, instead he got 4 years to do nothing at UK.
Beetle01 Wrote:Well lets see most fo the time you'r talking about skill players, who go in as RB's, then maybe switch to WR or DB.

However, for most positions coaches recruit that position. You'r knowledge of recruiting is really pathetic.

you gonna take a kid whos coach's do nothing to help him get recruited, or the kid who's coach's are beating down everyone's door for all their players, whether they are skilled enough for the next level or not?

you gonna take kid who played out of position in HS, a small Hs in the backwoods, who's coaches do not help whatsoever, or a kid who exceled at that position who's coaches are sending you videos, calling, and making visits? How many times has a Russell coach taken kids on campus visits to talk with coach's. This happens at almost every school in there area. Ashland and Raceland quite a bit. They have had no more talent than Russell.

LOL I remember Arliss Beach crying and quitting 2 years in a row against us, if he was at Russell, he maybe would have been able to walk on at Morehead, instead he got 4 years to do nothing at UK.

Sure, so size and speed have nothing to do with it? If it was all Coach McGlone's fault, then why did Kasey Clark and Nathan McPeek get college scholly's? You, my friend, are sadly mistaken if you think college coaches aren't recruiting based on superior athletic ability. Yes, every college doesn't know about every high school player, but if you have the talent to play, they'll soon find out about you. No offense to any of the players, but I would bet that Coach McGlone is a very good judge of which of his players have college potential and which don't. If he's not touting players to colleges, it's probably due to the fact that he knows that they are not GOOD ENOUGH to play there (again, no offense to any of them). High School coaches can only get serious connections with college coaches if they can send them players who they are legitimately interested in. If he sent UK a list of 3-4 seniors every year who obviously aren't big time football material, well, it would end up like the boy who cried wolf.