Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region
OK. I have laid off this thread for about as long as I could!! LOL!!
Personally, I think Paintsville might be getting overlooked a little this year by some. Sure they lost Grimm. He was their top pitcher and second best hitter. Yep...they lost Vanhoose, a solid SS with a good bat. Humprey, a VG outfielder and a very good 2 spot hitter. And Utility player Ison. But they return a solid bunch as well. Corey Adams has been a top hitter since his Soph. year and starting catcher since his freshman year. Butcher and Cyrus have been everyday starters since their Soph year. Rice and Vialpando were starters last year and Lyons started quite a few games last year even when he wasn't pitching. Brown was in the lineup every day last year as well. Each and every one of these players contributed greatly last year as they were the bulk of every stat on the team. They return nearly all their pitching and with the help of hard nosed Shey Spencer, Zach Jackson and several very talented freshmen, they will field a solid defense to back up their pitghing staff. They have about five pitchers that will be able to give solid outings of 5-7 innings and 3-4 pitchers that will be able to come into any game and give an inning or 2. We have not had a serious power threat in several years and I look for us to manufacter more runs this year than in past years. These kids have been overshadowed their whole lives and are very humble. But they are very hungry as well. I look for them to be more focused than any team Paintsville has fielded in several years. They have beefed up their schedule greatly this year so they might take some lumps along the way but will definately be battle tested.
Good Luck Tigers!!!! Have a great 2009!
The Guru Wrote:OK. I have laid off this thread for about as long as I could!! LOL!!
Personally, I think Paintsville might be getting overlooked a little this year by some. Sure they lost Grimm. He was their top pitcher and second best hitter. Yep...they lost Vanhoose, a solid SS with a good bat. Humprey, a VG outfielder and a very good 2 spot hitter. And Utility player Ison. But they return a solid bunch as well. Corey Adams has been a top hitter since his Soph. year and starting catcher since his freshman year. Butcher and Cyrus have been everyday starters since their Soph year. Rice and Vialpando were starters last year and Lyons started quite a few games last year even when he wasn't pitching. Brown was in the lineup every day last year as well. Each and every one of these players contributed greatly last year as they were the bulk of every stat on the team. They return nearly all their pitching and with the help of hard nosed Shey Spencer, Zach Jackson and several very talented freshmen, they will field a solid defense to back up their pitghing staff. They have about five pitchers that will be able to give solid outings of 5-7 innings and 3-4 pitchers that will be able to come into any game and give an inning or 2. We have not had a serious power threat in several years and I look for us to manufacter more runs this year than in past years. These kids have been overshadowed their whole lives and are very humble. But they are very hungry as well. I look for them to be more focused than any team Paintsville has fielded in several years. They have beefed up their schedule greatly this year so they might take some lumps along the way but will definately be battle tested.

Getting rid of some attitudes i think will help more than anything. I think they will surprise some people, but I do worry about their pitching staff. That is really my only question mark with them. I don't doubt they'll score and have a good defense, and they will be ready for the post season more than any other paintsville team because of their beefed up schedule. Records don't mean anything when the post season starts. However, like i said if they get a solid number one ace pitcher and get get possibly two other guys that can hold their own in the 15th then sure they will surprise some people, but im just not sure who that will be as of right now. I have some idea of who it could be, but still not sure.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Last year watching Sheldon Clark they were very undisciplined. I was surprised a coach would put up with that.

the coaching didn't seem very disciplined either if u ask me!!!!!
The Guru Wrote:OK. I have laid off this thread for about as long as I could!! LOL!!

Great post Guru. I was just waiting for someone to get on here and say something in defense of our young but talented boys. I think they will surprise some people. I know in my house we are counting the days till the season starts. Good Luck Tigers in '09!!!!!!!!! :Cheerlead
Lc wil have a great year maybe they wont beat sheldon clark 25-0 again
JC or LC. Both have good programs and athletes.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Getting rid of some attitudes i think will help more than anything. I think they will surprise some people, but I do worry about their pitching staff. That is really my only question mark with them. I don't doubt they'll score and have a good defense, and they will be ready for the post season more than any other paintsville team because of their beefed up schedule. Records don't mean anything when the post season starts. However, like i said if they get a solid number one ace pitcher and get get possibly two other guys that can hold their own in the 15th then sure they will surprise some people, but im just not sure who that will be as of right now. I have some idea of who it could be, but still not sure.

Who do you think is or should be the ace for Paintsville?
Allie Katt Wrote:Who do you think is or should be the ace for Paintsville?

I think it's a no brainer that Austin is the ace.
I Think Magoffin County will suprise alot of people this year. For only losing 2 seniors last year ( 2nd and 1st basemen) They will be a team i think will move up in the top 10. They might not be the top 2 or 3 team in the region but they will be close at the end. And be a team not to overlook....IMO
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I think it's a no brainer that Austin is the ace.
I agree. Lyons is working harder than ever right now. He threw a gem last year in shutting down Lex Christian in the All A semis and had several other solid performances as well. I think Rice might have a breakout year as I believe he is now mature enough to hancle all the pressures that go with him. V gave some qualty innings last year and Cyrus, although some games he threw were not against heavyweights by any measure only gave up 3-4 earned runs in winng around 4-5 games last year including 1 no hitter and was a part (3 innings) of another. He also turned in a lot of innings last summer and held his own against teams that his bunch were obviously overmatched in. Soph. and fellow Lefty Zach Jackson had a pretty good Freshman year last year and will be looking to be a regular starter I think. These are a few that I believe will be the bulk of our staff but I am sure there will be a few more that will be on the hill quite a bit this year.
The Guru Wrote:I agree. Lyons is working harder than ever right now. He threw a gem last year in shutting down Lex Christian in the All A semis and had several other solid performances as well. I think Rice might have a breakout year as I believe he is now mature enough to hancle all the pressures that go with him. V gave some qualty innings last year and Cyrus, although some games he threw were not against heavyweights by any measure only gave up 3-4 earned runs in winng around 4-5 games last year including 1 no hitter and was a part (3 innings) of another. He also turned in a lot of innings last summer and held his own against teams that his bunch were obviously overmatched in. Soph. and fellow Lefty Zach Jackson had a pretty good Freshman year last year and will be looking to be a regular starter I think. These are a few that I believe will be the bulk of our staff but I am sure there will be a few more that will be on the hill quite a bit this year.

I am very anxious to see how the lefty's perform this season. They have so much potential that it would not be a far stretch to see them have unbelievable seasons. I was extremely impressed with Jackson last year when i seen him throw and I am sure Cyrus will be right there as well. It will be interesting to watch, but as of right now before the season they have to be ranked down al ittle bit, whenever they come out and proved everyone wrong then they can move up but as of right now I wouldn't change where i have them.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I am very anxious to see how the lefty's perform this season. They have so much potential that it would not be a far stretch to see them have unbelievable seasons. I was extremely impressed with Jackson last year when i seen him throw and I am sure Cyrus will be right there as well. It will be interesting to watch, but as of right now before the season they have to be ranked down al ittle bit, whenever they come out and proved everyone wrong then they can move up but as of right now I wouldn't change where i have them.
I have never been a fan of pre-season polls so where you have them is fine with me.
I say Phelps..go hornets
The Guru Wrote:I have never been a fan of pre-season polls so where you have them is fine with me.

Haha! Well i understand that i guess
phelpsboy81 Wrote:I say Phelps..go hornets

????????
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I think it's a no brainer that Austin is the ace.

I actually thought the young man should have been their go to guy last year but I don't coach so my opinion doesn't hold much water.
Allie Katt Wrote:I actually thought the young man should have been their go to guy last year but I don't coach so my opinion doesn't hold much water.

ok? haha
the region belongs to LC
JackRabbitSlimJR Wrote:ok? haha

Would you please stop impersonating me, that's really annoying?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Would you please stop impersonating me, that's really annoying?

is that what im doing? no.
JC IMO, Lawrence is close
JackRabbitSlimJR Wrote:ok? haha

little advise: don't ever laugh at a man til you've faced him and beat him...then you can grin.
Allie Katt Wrote:little advise: don't ever laugh at a man til you've faced him and beat him...then you can grin.

He wasn't laughing at you. If you'll notice when he was picking names all he did was take mine and put a Jr. on the end of it, and he has been replying to posts that ppl reply to as if he were me. That's is what he was laughing at.
LC will win it again they have to many good players to down them, they lost 1 starting outfielder, and they are sturdy behind the plate also there middle infield is looking nice with banks at 2nd, and shep at short if he isnt pitching.
TheEagle09 Wrote:LC will win it again they have to many good players to down them, they lost 1 starting outfielder, and they are sturdy behind the plate also there middle infield is looking nice with banks at 2nd, and shep at short if he isnt pitching.

I think it will be intersting to see how well JC develops their young talent. They had a kid that played second base for them last year that was amazing in the field, but his bat was suspect. They also had a few other younger kids who have the potential to really make a difference and if they start hitting the ball, and Conley is on, then they have the potential to win it this year. They will have to get a good draw and find another pitcher that can be consistent, but they definetely have raw talent to do it, but they have to be developed.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I think it will be intersting to see how well JC develops their young talent. They had a kid that played second base for them last year that was amazing in the field, but his bat was suspect. They also had a few other younger kids who have the potential to really make a difference and if they start hitting the ball, and Conley is on, then they have the potential to win it this year. They will have to get a good draw and find another pitcher that can be consistent, but they definetely have raw talent to do it, but they have to be developed.
2B? or SS? Dillon Baldwin at SS is one of my favorite players around to watch in the field. Really really smooth and fluid making plays. Dillon was also hit for alot last season.
1. LC - dominate pitchers in Shep and Moore, Great coach.
2. JC - A lot of players coming back, Good Pitching, Goood Coaching
3. Pikeville - Good pitching, better defense and offense than last year
4. Belfry - Good pitching, good coach
5. SC - Great Coach who reloads consistently, Toughest District tho
6. Paintsville - ditto, same as SC
7. Pike Central - Sr dominated team with good pitching, should break out
8. East Ridge - Decent pitching, return a lot but need to find catcher
9. AC - could be higher but just a hunch
10. Could be any team not mentioned.

I think LC and JC are the class of the region, but anything can happen between now and May, their will be some surprises I am sure.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:2B? or SS? Dillon Baldwin at SS is one of my favorite players around to watch in the field. Really really smooth and fluid making plays. Dillon was also hit for alot last season.

No I am talking about the second baseman, I am pretty sure for the most part he was DH'd for most of the season. Real little kid and real young kid, and he may have even been in middle school (7th or 8th grade). His defensive play is what i was talking about. I know Dillon Baldwin, but I am unsure what this kid's name is, but he will develop into a great middle infielder i'm sure.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:No I am talking about the second baseman, I am pretty sure for the most part he was DH'd for most of the season. Real little kid and real young kid, and he may have even been in middle school (7th or 8th grade). His defensive play is what i was talking about. I know Dillon Baldwin, but I am unsure what this kid's name is, but he will develop into a great middle infielder i'm sure.

Will Meek is the kid I think you are referring to, I agree he will make an outstanding middle infielder.
Commanche Wrote:Will Meek is the kid I think you are referring to, I agree he will make an outstanding middle infielder.

Yes! that is exactly who i was talking about!! Thanks