Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players Respect Coaches?
I decided to start this one and see if it stays active since the shirt tuck thread.

I have made notes of teams that seem to have problems holding things together. One major fact that I have seen on and off the court are the so called JOCK who thinks a team can't survive without him shows NO RESPECT for their coach or team members. This stuff of mouthing off to a coach during practice or a game, not showing up for practice then suddenly walking in and starting a game. Whatever happen to the day of keeping a player on the bench for a game or two until they learn what COACH means. Our coaches are there to develope these young players into leaders on and off the floor. Why do you reward , unless POLITICS is in controlling you, a player who tells a coach to kiss their rear? Some player have lost respect to the teams they face,
what gives? There is a thing called sportsmenship, each member of a team deserves to be treated the same , with fairness.
So my question is it the coach who can't coach ?
Is it the spoiled brat of a person with political powers ?
WHO IS THE CAUSE of these kids showing NO RESPECT for their leaders, opposing players, other team members? Have we forgotten what the years of growing up as a team member should be teaching the students?
stringmusic Wrote:I decided to start this one and see if it stays active since the shirt tuck thread.

I have made notes of teams that seem to have problems holding things together. One major fact that I have seen on and off the court are the so called JOCK who thinks a team can't survive without him shows NO RESPECT for their coach or team members. This stuff of mouthing off to a coach during practice or a game, not showing up for practice then suddenly walking in and starting a game. Whatever happen to the day of keeping a player on the bench for a game or two until they learn what COACH means. Our coaches are there to develope these young players into leaders on and off the floor. Why do you reward , unless POLITICS is in controlling you, a player who tells a coach to kiss their rear? Some player have lost respect to the teams they face,
what gives? There is a thing called sportsmenship, each member of a team deserves to be treated the same , with fairness.
So my question is it the coach who can't coach ?
Is it the spoiled brat of a person with political powers ?
WHO IS THE CAUSE of these kids showing NO RESPECT for their leaders, opposing players, other team members? Have we forgotten what the years of growing up as a team member should be teaching the students?

If it's a constant reoccuring thing, it's their parents.
Parents, mostly. But some coaches don't enforce their rules evenly. I guess there are some battles they don't want to fight and some players they can't do without.
Parents!!!!!!!!!!Parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coaches have a hard time changing an everyday behavior in just a two or two 1/2 hr. practice
If they can't respect the coach...why let them play?
Well, its the coaches job to demand respect.
Protect_This_House26 Wrote:Well, its the coaches job to demand respect.

Exactly...my point
In reading different threads in this forum throughout the season, I've noticed "members" that sound like disgruntled players who either quit their team, say they were "kicked off" the squad or didn't even try out because of their problems with authority. It's sad really. If you choose to not play for whatever reason or quit, the least you can do is not get on this website and badmouth your school and former teammates. I get sick of seeing this on BGR. That's not what this site is about.
I think if a parent goes in and says something to the coach ,their kid should have to set out a game...Maybe that would keep their mouth shut....Rules need to be inforced...I don't care if their the allstar or not....Thats the problem you have certain players that the coaches think that they can not win without and the rules are bent for them...You can't do that....What's for one needs to be for all.....I don't care who they are.....
Ballhandler Wrote:I think if a parent goes in and says something to the coach ,their kid should have to set out a game...Maybe that would keep their mouth shut....Rules need to be inforced...I don't care if their the allstar or not....Thats the problem you have certain players that the coaches think that they can not win without and the rules are bent for them...You can't do that....What's for one needs to be for all.....I don't care who they are.....

Parents need to stop coaching. That's what the coach is for. Kids shouldn't look up in the stands everytime they're whistled for a foul or do something wrong on the court. Look at your coach. That's where it all starts.
OK, respect starts at home, I get that. But how can a Coach not demand respect of his players. I don't completely support the thoery that coaches can't do anything in 2 - 2 1/2 hours that they have these kids. How hard is it to either not take a player, or sit them on the bench. If a player does not respect the game or those in which he is playing for, then it's obvious to me that the coach is concerned that if he sits that player, then his chances of winning are reduced? So, a coach decides to let disrespectful players continue to play because that's better than losing?

Tell that to Carr of Scott HS, Code of Campbell County, Listerman of Cov Cath. The whole thread about untucked Jersey's, that does not happen with these coaches.

The coach is paid to do what? Win or provide discipline? So, do we give the freedom to a coach to have the strength to take action against those type of players or does he have to worry about the administration and the parents when "Joe Superstar" sits because he mouthed to a ref would not tuck in his Jersey?
Eagle_Fan442 Wrote:If they can't respect the coach...why let them play?

Exactly!
Protect_This_House26 Wrote:Well, its the coaches job to demand respect.

You can demand respect,but that dose not mean you will get it.Respect has to be earned!
Whether it starts at home or not... It's not a hard concept for anyone to get when a player is told to shut up because they are running their mouths, about probably something they did, or they will sit the bench or be put on the clock for it. We all understand we all understand English and can understand the concept no matter how stupid some seem....

I think the coaches take this crap because point blank they don't want to those runts because more than likely they are the teams best players and they won't win without them.
It all starts in the home. Parents want their kids to be the best and when they are not the kids have to hear things from the parents who want to blame someone else. Most of the time if a child is not doing well they hear parents say well if it wasn't for the coach, the teacher or whoever maybe in the direct path of said childs achievements, and then the child starts to believe that they are not to blame but others are, then they lose respect not only for others but also for their parents and themselves. They start thinking that no team can do without them. Children lose their sense of self and purpose, they want to be this perfect person and will try to achieve this regardless of who they run over to get it. Sports, in my opinion, have damaged alot of parents, not kids, parents. Especially basketball in the state of Kentucky, no better fans are found for this sport, but alot of dreams are destroyed because of the parents. What I mean by this is simply, parents dream of their child playing for UK or another big school and when they push and push their child to be this super player, they usually find out at the end of their high school career, they are not d1 players. Now I by no means think kids or parents should not have dreams, but just to be realistic and keep your kids grounded, have fun and let them be kids. Their is life after high school and away from basketball you just have to live it. As for coaches I, for one do not think a coach should get in a kids face and scream and spit and all that, but kids do need to know that they can not just do as they please either. Coaches who respect their players get respect from the players and the parents.
Mr.Mister Wrote:Whether it starts at home or not... It's not a hard concept for anyone to get when a player is told to shut up because they are running their mouths, about probably something they did, or they will sit the bench or be put on the clock for it. We all understand we all understand English and can understand the concept no matter how stupid some seem....

I think the coaches take this crap because point blank they don't want to those runts because more than likely they are the teams best players and they won't win without them.

Great post
The Swamp Fox Wrote:Parents!!!!!!!!!!Parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coaches have a hard time changing an everyday behavior in just a two or two 1/2 hr. practice

I agree with this, BUT it can be done. Sometimes we forget about what is happening at home with some of these young people. There are some young people today that have had to deal with a whole lot more in their short lives, that we will ever have to. One of the most important things that playing any sport can teach a kid is discipline. Self discipline and team discipline, more than ever in our society we need these two things. The ability to control ourselves and the ability to work with others to achieve one common goal.

A coach at any level has a responsibility to maintain order and have a sense of fairness. Anything that underminds a coaches authority is bad. This is why I don't care for all the transferring that goes on. How about staying the course and working thru a problem? What about when these young people get jobs or get married? You just can't up and leave when there's a conflict. Mommy and daddy would be doing little Johnny a favor if they looked at him sometimes and said, "Deal with it!" or "Work Harder".
Mama Bear Wrote:I agree with this, BUT it can be done. Sometimes we forget about what is happening at home with some of these young people. There are some young people today that have had to deal with a whole lot more in their short lives, that we will ever have to. One of the most important things that playing any sport can teach a kid is discipline. Self discipline and team discipline, more than ever in our society we need these two things. The ability to control ourselves and the ability to work with others to achieve one common goal.

A coach at any level has a responsibility to maintain order and have a sense of fairness. Anything that underminds a coaches authority is bad. This is why I don't care for all the transferring that goes on. How about staying the course and working thru a problem? What about when these young people get jobs or get married? You just can't up and leave when there's a conflict. Mommy and daddy would be doing little Johnny a favor if they looked at him sometimes and said, "Deal with it!" or "Work Harder".

Great post Mama Bear. One that I completely agree with. In many instances, the structure and discipline that happens both in school and sports is the only form manifested that many of these students see.

Every generation of parent wants to give their children more than what they had. Parents, which I am as well, want to take care of their childrens problems. This is not healthy for the overall growth into adulthood.

It comes down to responsibility. If the students have no sense of responisiblity, then why should we expect them to be accountable for their actions.

It's interesting that most transfers have nothing to do with honestly giving their child a better opportunity versus taking them out of an environment where the parent feels that "little Johnny" was not being treated fairly. It's easy to blame a coach or the school being political versus looking into the mirror and teaching the student that sometimes you just have to work harder.
I have a relative who received a 4 year basketball scholarship and was very successful. When he was a Freshmen in high school he did not make the varsity basketball team. He was devastated and quite frankly MAD. I'm sure that his mom and dad saw the hurt, frustration, and disappointment in his eyes when he came home that night. They could have easily transferred him to another high school that he may have even started for. His dad, however, looked his hurt son in the eyes and told him, "Looks like you have got a lot of work to do. You better get to work!"

This built character. I am sure this was not the response that he wanted to hear, but he learned that hard work pays off.
The pressure to win is huge.

Coaches must DEMAND respect, but also show respect to parents/guardians/players.

I tell all my parents that the most important time they have with their child during sports is the 15-20 minutes they are with them after practice and ballgames.

Why?

That sets the tone for how the child will look at the coach. If they bad mouth the coach and question everything, the kid takes the same attitude.

If they listen to the kids complaints, but just say work harder and work through it, the kid gets to vent but knows the parent respects the coach and his decisions.
Mama Bear Wrote:I have a relative who received a 4 year basketball scholarship and was very successful. When he was a Freshmen in high school he did not make the varsity basketball team. He was devastated and quite frankly MAD. I'm sure that his mom and dad saw the hurt, frustration, and disappointment in his eyes when he came home that night. They could have easily transferred him to another high school that he may have even started for. His dad, however, looked his hurt son in the eyes and told him, "Looks like you have got a lot of work to do. You better get to work!"

This built character. I am sure this was not the response that he wanted to hear, but he learned that hard work pays off.

Great post. This is the problem with a lot of parents these days. They will take their kid to another school instead of making them work for something they want or earn their spot or playing time. They will take their kid to a school were they will get more playing time but not be on a very good team. I would rather teach my son or daughter to work hard and be part of something special than to run to another school just so he might score a few more points. :thumpsup:
NEXT Wrote:The pressure to win is huge.

Coaches must DEMAND respect, but also show respect to parents/guardians/players.

I tell all my parents that the most important time they have with their child during sports is the 15-20 minutes they are with them after practice and ballgames.

Why?

That sets the tone for how the child will look at the coach. If they bad mouth the coach and question everything, the kid takes the same attitude.

If they listen to the kids complaints, but just say work harder and work through it, the kid gets to vent but knows the parent respects the coach and his decisions.

I'm very glad to see the above from a coach, that shows you that with the talk everyone has still got to look at it from both sides. Who cares if it is the best player on the team? MOMMY & DADDY, so let them watch him sit out a game and see that another kid can come off the bench and replace him. If he quits then he had purpose in being there to start with. GAIN RESPECT of the entire team by controlling the problem. I hope that in someway this thread will remind some coaches that they must become a part of each players life but controlled by MOMMY & DADDY no matter what their position is.
Stardust Wrote:OK, respect starts at home, I get that. But how can a Coach not demand respect of his players. I don't completely support the thoery that coaches can't do anything in 2 - 2 1/2 hours that they have these kids. How hard is it to either not take a player, or sit them on the bench. If a player does not respect the game or those in which he is playing for, then it's obvious to me that the coach is concerned that if he sits that player, then his chances of winning are reduced? So, a coach decides to let disrespectful players continue to play because that's better than losing?

Tell that to Carr of Scott HS, Code of Campbell County, Listerman of Cov Cath. The whole thread about untucked Jersey's, that does not happen with these coaches.

The coach is paid to do what? Win or provide discipline? So, do we give the freedom to a coach to have the strength to take action against those type of players or does he have to worry about the administration and the parents when "Joe Superstar" sits because he mouthed to a ref would not tuck in his Jersey?

You have to look at the schools you are talking about first and foremost. Theses are relatively large schools compared to the ones represented by most schools represented on here. They do not feel the same pressure or face the same problem of having soemone to fill in once the coach decides to set their example or tone.

The key is responsibility. At one point, most people were like the ones mama bear eluded to and felt that good results were a product of hard work. More and more, we see that people want things the easy way or handed to them. When a child has a home life that has a general theme of "that's not fair", "they receive special treatment", or "It's not my fault" then you get these student athletes that expect things. Coaches and teachers can work to instill a more positive attitude, but sometimes, it is just simply easier for the parents and the kids to take the low road and not put in the time when they can quit with a built in excuse. I do not see this getting any better in the near future, because we as a society seem to want a lot for little. Until we can once again as society to agree that we need to earn our way, then this will be a problem. All any coach do is be fair, firm and consistent and hope for support, because when most parents call for fair treatment, they really want special treatment, they do not want things to be fair, because that might mean that just because their child is a senior they not get to play. Most parents feel if their child is an upperclassmen, then they are entitled. I will get off my soap box now.
mightydog Wrote:You can demand respect,but that dose not mean you will get it.Respect has to be earned!

This is a great post thank you
how about if the coach will not put a certain player in the game because he doesnt like him. then should the player respect the coach?
Ballhandler Wrote:I think if a parent goes in and says something to the coach ,their kid should have to set out a game...Maybe that would keep their mouth shut....Rules need to be inforced...I don't care if their the allstar or not....Thats the problem you have certain players that the coaches think that they can not win without and the rules are bent for them...You can't do that....What's for one needs to be for all.....I don't care who they are.....

Great points!!!!
Ballhandler Wrote:[SIZE="6"]I think if a parent goes in and says something to the coach ,their kid should have to set out a game[/SIZE]...Maybe that would keep their mouth shut....Rules need to be inforced...I don't care if their the allstar or not....Thats the problem you have certain players that the coaches think that they can not win without and the rules are bent for them...You can't do that....What's for one needs to be for all.....I don't care who they are.....

I don't think that a player should be punished because of mommy or daddy. If the player initiates it, then yeah.
the things that i have noticed about almost all great programs that win year in and year out has a coach that all players respect and know that they can't run over the coach. another problem i see that happens some and the program will never be able to win like it should if the school administration does not support the coach............ but the biggest problem that coaches have is parents, some parents think that their child is being mistreated when he averages 28 minutes a game and gets to shoot every shot that he would like and somehow think that their boy has been done wrong and how bad thier coach is if the parents at home tell their kid how bad their coach is eventually the player will eventually try to believe what they are telling him
There are good respectful coaches who teach and are a role model for the players, but there also the coaches that use profanity and exhibit questionable behavior around the players. Who monitors the coaches and makes sure that kids are not mistreated and abased by these people?
Respect is something taught at a very young age. If we were not taught by our parents to respect, then how or why would we teach our children respect. Everyone knows people that think they are better or their child is better or the coach is stupid and so forth. They probably could care less as to teaching their kid to repect anyone because they don't themselves. As far as respect towards a coach, there are coaches that don't respect themselves or anyone around them either. By this I mean allowing a player to mouth off to him / other teammates, walk off the floor during a game, not shake hands with the winning team etc....... But yet allow this kind of shameless action to continue by allowing this kid to play / start the next game etc without some sort of punishment.........Now the coach just lost the respect of some players/parents/fans for his actions because he lacks this trait as well. RESPECT starts at home but a coach can BUILD on that or DESTROY it. GREED and the drive to look GOOD/ win as many as I can no matter what is shameful and teaches players nothing but to become lesser adults. COACHES should demand respect and practice it themselves !!!!