Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potomac, VA 66 - Shelby Valley 63
Final.
Didn't realize that Elisha's absence would have this much effect.
Well, he is the #1 player in the region, and happens to be a PG. So it doesn't surprise me at all. These games don't mean anything at this point of the season. Hopefully he's full strength when it matters.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:Well, he is the #1 player in the region, and happens to be a PG. So it doesn't surprise me at all. These games don't mean anything at this point of the season. Hopefully he's full strength when it matters.

I just thought that moving Bryant or Varney to the point wouldn't take much away from Valley, but I was way off.
With Justice= control and consistence

Without Justice = streaky and inconsistent
It is difficult for any team to adjust to losing a starting player, much less your best player...the only thing that is happening here is that, with the absence of Justice, the other players are having to make themselves better players and will be better when they get him back, mark my word, seen it happen many times before.
alfus21 Wrote:games don't mean anything at this point of the season.

I disagree. The regular season games mean something.
rojas Wrote:I disagree. The regular season games mean something.

They mean something when your playing againts someone from your region/district. But right now where it's so early it's not really gonna kill Valley, might have a few loses due to Justice absence but playing without your best player, really dosn't mean much cause its the begining of the season, but when they get to the middle of the end of the season, thats where it all matters!!!
and it is not like they are losing to bad teams. Knott County is pretty good this year. I don't know about Potomac, Va.
Many teams do not have true point guards and with Justice you have the glue. In the long run it will make SV stronger for his absence. In the meantime, they will struggle.
yea true, so does anyone have any stats from this game or anything bout this VA team?
NYY10 Wrote:yea true, so does anyone have any stats from this game or anything bout this VA team?

I don't have any stats, but Coach Booher said the team was quick and athletic and got up in their chests. He said it made it really hard to run much offense.
It appears that SV is not the complete team as some said they were. It is understandable when a team loses the best player in the state they will struggle.

Is there a target date for EJ's return?
UKisN1 Wrote:Many teams do not have true point guards and with Justice you have the glue. In the long run it will make SV stronger for his absence. In the meantime, they will struggle.

Having a good point guard like justice is like having a coach on the court, without him it puts more pressure on other players to make decisions that they are not comfortable making
kybaseball Wrote:It appears that SV is not the complete team as some said they were. It is understandable when a team loses the best player in the state they will struggle.

Is there a target date for EJ's return?

Not a sole on here thinks Elisha is the best player in the state, but keep poking fun. Without him, they are a good team, but definitely not a contender. The region would be a toss up. You can say that about many teams though. If they played most of the season w/o him, they would have time to adjust and be a pretty good team. Just like when I coached Elisha at Dorton, it left a huge hole when he was hurt and when he graduated. With him, you never have to worry about another team's press.

Elisha has an AC separation and I don't know what that is, but he was told there was no tear. He is going to physical therapy and hopefully will be able to play in Florida.
5timechamp Wrote:With Justice= control and consistence

Without Justice = streaky and inconsistent

Exactly!
[quote=DortonWildcat5]Not a sole on here thinks Elisha is the best player in the state, but keep poking fun. Without him, they are a good team, but definitely not a contender. The region would be a toss up. You can say that about many teams though. If they played most of the season w/o him, they would have time to adjust and be a pretty good team. Just like when I coached Elisha at Dorton, it left a huge hole when he was hurt and when he graduated. With him, you never have to worry about another team's pres

Agreed,
I believe that Shelby Valley would have no problem winning the 15th region even without Elisha, but with him they have a chance to win a couple of games at Rupp and make some noise at state.
YOURTIGERBAIT Wrote:[

Agreed,

You are a hardin.Smile Smile Smile Smile
SV has struggled without Elisha.... just like KCC would struggle without Tate, Hazard without Whitaker, Elliott without Ferguson or a Faulkner, and so forth. I think the problem magnifies when it is the point guard.

Elisha creates a huge part of SV's offense, and I'm sure the team is a little bit lost without him. I was hoping they would step up a little more without him, but that didn't happen consistently. Hopefully playing without him has shown some of the players that they need to step it up a level individually. They have relied on Elisha so much to do nearly all the pressure ball handling that taking him out of the equation caused some issues. I'm sure they will rebound from this tournament.

If nothing else, maybe this helped remove a target from their back a little...
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Not a sole on here thinks Elisha is the best player in the state, but keep poking fun. Without him, they are a good team, but definitely not a contender. The region would be a toss up. You can say that about many teams though. If they played most of the season w/o him, they would have time to adjust and be a pretty good team. Just like when I coached Elisha at Dorton, it left a huge hole when he was hurt and when he graduated. With him, you never have to worry about another team's press.

Elisha has an AC separation and I don't know what that is, but he was told there was no tear. He is going to physical therapy and hopefully will be able to play in Florida.

When did you coach Elisha at Dorton? Was it in the 7th&8th. I was a Dorton Wildcat,1952-1956, Monroe Hall was the coach then, remember, or are you too young. Donald Goodson was our best player at the time--ages ago. I was disappointed last year when they didn't get past Paintsville and Slone, I understand a couple of players were injured then, also. Shelby Valley is best in pressure situations with Justice handling the ball. A few old timers tell me Justice is the best they have seen and they have seen some good ones.

In Florida they will need Justice at full strength, will he be at full strength? The competition will be tough, tougher than they have faced all year. Go Wildcats, Go Shelby Valley, Go Big Blue, GO KENTUCKY. MERRY CHRISTMAS.
dortonite Wrote:When did you coach Elisha at Dorton? Was it in the 7th&8th. I was a Dorton Wildcat,1952-1956, Monroe Hall was the coach then, remember, or are you too young. Donald Goodson was our best player at the time--ages ago. I was disappointed last year when they didn't get past Paintsville and Slone, I understand a couple of players were injured then, also. Shelby Valley is best in pressure situations with Justice handling the ball. A few old timers tell me Justice is the best they have seen and they have seen some good ones.

In Florida they will need Justice at full strength, will he be at full strength? The competition will be tough, tougher than they have faced all year. Go Wildcats, Go Shelby Valley, Go Big Blue, GO KENTUCKY. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Merry Christmas to you as well lol.. Smile

Valley needs Justice down in Florida or it will get bad!!
lil2coupe Wrote:and it is not like they are losing to bad teams. Knott County is pretty good this year. I don't know about Potomac, Va.
2coupe they will need all of their weapons to compete in Fla and it is only a few days away and with travel etc. Just pray Justice is there 100%.
dortonite Wrote:When did you coach Elisha at Dorton? Was it in the 7th&8th. I was a Dorton Wildcat,1952-1956, Monroe Hall was the coach then, remember, or are you too young. Donald Goodson was our best player at the time--ages ago. I was disappointed last year when they didn't get past Paintsville and Slone, I understand a couple of players were injured then, also. Shelby Valley is best in pressure situations with Justice handling the ball. A few old timers tell me Justice is the best they have seen and they have seen some good ones.

I coached Elisha for about 5 years in middle school.

I am too young to remember Monroe Hall, but I have heard my dad and others talk about him. I coached Jeff Goodson's sons--Corey and Kyle in middle school, but I don't know Donald Goodson. I have heard my dad talk about him as well though.
The more games Valley loses without Justice will get in their heads. I wish nothing bad on anyone, but if this kid gets hurt in or around tournament time..... As it looks now it would be curtains for Valley. Hope Justice has a speedy recovery! The rest of valley's kids need to keep their heads up and give double the effort!
letthebighogroot Wrote:The more games Valley loses without Justice will get in their heads. I wish nothing bad on anyone, but if this kid gets hurt in or around tournament time..... As it looks now it would be curtains for Valley. Hope Justice has a speedy recovery! The rest of valley's kids need to keep their heads up and give double the effort!

Agreed. They still have the talent to do well, but not the confidence. I think they have relied upon Elisha for so long to do the ballhandling and take the pressure off of everyone else, that they don't know how to play w/o him. He has been starting for 3 years and played a lot as an 8th grader so no one else on this team has ever had to carry the load.
It is extremly hard for a team to adjust when their point guard goes down.Especially when the player is relied on so heavily.
Great game for Shelby Valley, tough loss.
Very nice showing by SV.
does anyone know the length of time he will be out