Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hicks gives props to Eastern Kentucky basketball
After the game last night Billy Hicks was asked by a TV reporter who were some of the top teams in Kentucky. He rattled off about 10 teams. Corbin, Hazard, Knott Central, and Shelby Valley were included in his list.
Im glad to see the mountains getting some recognition. Hopefully we can make some noise at state.
Hicks appreciates the way mountain teams play. There was a write up in a state paper, (I don't remember which one now) Scott Co. was the Ky team originally invited to the Beach Ball Classic, but they already had committed to a Christmas tourney...He recommended Elliott as their replacement, and told the organizer." They will remind you of the Clay Co. team that won your event several years ago and they will be a crowd favorite." I'm not saying Elliott is equal to Scott, or that Clay Co. team....But there are also several "City" Teams Coach Hicks could have suggested...........IMO, that shows he cares about the kids in Eastern Ky., that otherwise might not get this chance. Sorry to ramble, just thought I would share this.
Good to see the coach of maybe the best team in the state send some love our way...

This could be the best year for mountain high school basketball in several years, what with Elliott, Shelby Valley, Hazard, Knott Central, Corbin, and many other strong teams.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
letthebighogroot Wrote:Hicks appreciates the way mountain teams play. There was a write up in a state paper, (I don't remember which one now) Scott Co. was the Ky team originally invited to the Beach Ball Classic, but they already had committed to a Christmas tourney...He recommended Elliott as their replacement, and told the organizer." They will remind you of the Clay Co. team that won your event several years ago and they will be a crowd favorite." I'm not saying Elliott is equal to Scott, or that Clay Co. team....But there are also several "City" Teams Coach Hicks could have suggested...........IMO, that shows he cares about the kids in Eastern Ky., that otherwise might not get this chance. Sorry to ramble, just thought I would share this.

This is a very good post. However, I don't think Clay County ever won the Beach Ball Classic. I know they had a great showing and Russ Chadwell won the dunk contest against several McDonalds All Americans. I think University Heights is the only team from Kentucky that has actually won the BBC.
Past Champions

http://www.beachballclassic.com/History/...fault.aspx
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Past Champions

http://www.beachballclassic.com/History/...fault.aspx
Good work Chuckie baby!
rojas Wrote:This is a very good post. However, I don't think Clay County ever won the Beach Ball Classic. I know they had a great showing and Russ Chadwell won the dunk contest against several McDonalds All Americans. I think University Heights is the only team from Kentucky that has actually won the BBC.

I stand corrected. I couldn't remember his exact words, and was thinking Clay won the tourney.
letthebighogroot Wrote:I stand corrected. I couldn't remember his exact words, and was thinking Clay won the tourney.

Clay did have a fantastic BBC tournament. If I remember correctly they upset the Don Maclean led Semi Valley, California team. Maclean still holds the UCLA and PAC 10 career scoring records. He broke Abdul-Jabbar's scoring records. Maclean had a long and productive NBA Career.