Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Football
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Defensively they need to throw in a little intensity as well. If every kid played on defense with the intensity that Randy Maynard and JR Robinson played with we would hardly ever get a yard gained on us. Those 2 are always ready to buckle up and hit somebody. Its no coincidence they were the top 2 tacklers on the team with JR having well over 100 on the year.

J.R and randy was not the leading tacklers and didnt play the best every game. James Cleary one of the seniors for Pikeville lead every game but one with the most tackles and had the most at the end of the season. He was the one kid that played with the most heart i have seen in a long at a high school level of football. He's a GREAT player!!!
i know, right? Wrote:J.R and randy was not the leading tacklers and didnt play the best every game. James Cleary one of the seniors for Pikeville lead every game but one with the most tackles and had the most at the end of the season. He was the one kid that played with the most heart i have seen in a long at a high school level of football. He's a GREAT player!!!

According to the KHSAA web site JR was leading in tackles with Randy Maynard in second. I agree Cleary was a great player and if all our kids played with the heart he did wed be gearing up to play LCA this weekend.
I agree, Cleary did play with a lot of heart, not only on defense, but I thought he did an excellent job of running the ball as well. J.R. and Randy are two that played hard also. James will be sorely missed. Hopefully JR, Randy, and Ross, will hit the weight room hard this off season and grow into the leaders they can be.
jetpilot Wrote:So that's what made Pikeville the underdogs.Smile

I trust more of the people from this area when it comes to judging local teams, rather than Dave Cantrell, who's probably never seen any of the teams from Eastern Ky play one down this year. Cantrell also had JC beating Belfry buy a pretty good margin, but we all knew that wasn't going to happen.
SportsKing Wrote:I trust more of the people from this area when it comes to judging local teams, rather than Dave Cantrell, who's probably never seen any of the teams from Eastern Ky play one down this year. Cantrell also had JC beating Belfry buy a pretty good margin, but we all knew that wasn't going to happen.

Rolleyes

This is my last post on this. Paintsville was pathetic this year and everyone knows it. They had just lost to another Class A team by 39 points the week before Pikeville played them. If your spin is Pikeville's season was better than it should have been because they beat a Paintsville team they shouldn't have, or even that Pikeville was an underdog against Paintsville, you are going to be absolutely ridiculed by anybody who has ever followed Pikeville football.

I'm out.
jetpilot Wrote:Rolleyes

This is my last post on this. Paintsville was pathetic this year and everyone knows it. They had just lost to another Class A team by 39 points the week before Pikeville played them. If your spin is Pikeville's season was better than it should have been because they beat a Paintsville team they shouldn't have, or even that Pikeville was an underdog against Paintsville, you are going to be absolutely ridiculed by anybody who has ever followed Pikeville football.

I'm out.

All I stated after you said that Pikeville didn't win any games they shouldn't have, was that most people thought Paintsville would beat Pikeville to win the district.
Thanks for worrying about me, being ridiculed and all. By the way, I've been following Panther Football for 25 years.
...and you never did answer when I asked you what Pikeville could have done different against Hazard that would have helped them get that win!
SportsKing Wrote:All I stated after you said that Pikeville didn't win any games they shouldn't have, was that most people thought Paintsville would beat Pikeville to win the district.
Thanks for worrying about me, being ridiculed and all. By the way, I've been following Panther Football for 25 years.
...and you never did answer when I asked you what Pikeville could have done different against Hazard that would have helped them get that win!

For the last time, most people didn't think Paintsville would beat Pikeville. Again, 1 win in 24 years against Pikeville, lost by 39 to a Class A team the previous week, and lost 2 games the previous year to Pikeville by a combined score of 75-0. Keep telling yourself Pikeville was the underdog though, obviously it makes you feel better.

The only way Pikeville is going to beat Hazard ever again is to get a good coaching staff. Pikeville's staff compared to the good coaching staffs in the mountains is lacking in a major way.
jetpilot Wrote:The only way Pikeville is going to beat Hazard ever again is to get a good coaching staff. Pikeville's staff compared to the good coaching staffs in the mountains is lacking in a major way.

All this guy ever does is complain. If he is so worried about the coaches at Pikeville then why doesn't he go out and coach? I am sure with his negative attitude and lack of knowledge of what is going on there he would make a great difference. If you are not going to do anything about the situation then you should have no say so. Jetpilot needs to lay off the sauce if you ask me.
hammertime Wrote:All this guy ever does is complain. If he is so worried about the coaches at Pikeville then why doesn't he go out and coach? I am sure with his negative attitude and lack of knowledge of what is going on there he would make a great difference. If you are not going to do anything about the situation then you should have no say so. Jetpilot needs to lay off the sauce if you ask me.

Rolleyes All the people who hate sucking are complaining.
jetpilot Wrote:Rolleyes All the people who hate sucking are complaining.

Complain but not respond. That is the sign of someone who is definitely NOT a true fan. Someone who is not willing to step up and help and only complain is someone who hurts the program more than anyone else. You can be a typical back seat/fair weather fan and blame the coaches, but until you are able to fully understand the facts behind the scenes your opinions are null and void. I don't blame the coaches, the players, or the parents for the problems. I blame the administation for not stepping up to bat for the program that put Pikeville on the map. Pikeville is a well known commodity in the state and surrounding states because of football. Now they try to kill that commodity and force another on people. The entire school is hurting because of the selfishness of a few ego/image maniacs. I am upset that Pikeville is not where they use to be but things are looking up for next season with what they have coming back, that is unless the school decides to do more harm than good.
i keep hearing what they have coming back. they lost a lot more than what returns. next year is another 5-5 season or worse depending on how many weak class a on schedule. better rattle the bushes and get some non playing athletes out or times will be tough. if the coaches cant get players to play they dont need to be coaches. this program needs a major boost. i dont believe the staff there now can do it. just my thoughts.
hammertime Wrote:Complain but not respond. That is the sign of someone who is definitely NOT a true fan. Someone who is not willing to step up and help and only complain is someone who hurts the program more than anyone else. You can be a typical back seat/fair weather fan and blame the coaches, but until you are able to fully understand the facts behind the scenes your opinions are null and void. I don't blame the coaches, the players, or the parents for the problems. I blame the administation for not stepping up to bat for the program that put Pikeville on the map. Pikeville is a well known commodity in the state and surrounding states because of football. Now they try to kill that commodity and force another on people. The entire school is hurting because of the selfishness of a few ego/image maniacs. I am upset that Pikeville is not where they use to be but things are looking up for next season with what they have coming back, that is unless the school decides to do more harm than good.

Fair enough. Just a question, how many of the administration are Pikeville grads? Close to zero? I have heard there is an organization being formed to promote Pikeville football. I hope it's true. I will help that organization in any way I can.
jetpilot Wrote:Fair enough. Just a question, how many of the administration are Pikeville grads? Close to zero? I have heard there is an organization being formed to promote Pikeville football. I hope it's true. I will help that organization in any way I can.
Its True Were gonna get up and going after the first of the year. I hope to see you and EVERYONE who cares for this program at the meetings. Ill keep you posted.
sportsman Wrote:i keep hearing what they have coming back. they lost a lot more than what returns. next year is another 5-5 season or worse depending on how many weak class a on schedule. better rattle the bushes and get some non playing athletes out or times will be tough. if the coaches cant get players to play they dont need to be coaches. this program needs a major boost. i dont believe the staff there now can do it. just my thoughts.

Who are some "non-playing athletes" that could help the team?
What are some constructive ideas that could help the Pikeville Football program get back to the days of old?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Its True Were gonna get up and going after the first of the year. I hope to see you and EVERYONE who cares for this program at the meetings. Ill keep you posted.

Be careful you may step on the wrong toes.
SportsKing Wrote:What are some constructive ideas that could help the Pikeville Football program get back to the days of old?

It starts with the administration. We need a principal and an A.D. who cares about the program. All the A.D. cares about is trying to find a way to get rid of Copley for his own personal gain. He's gonna do everything he can to get the P.E. position at the high school. If the principal lets this happen, well in my opinion, neither one is much of a man!!!!!!
stripminer Wrote:It starts with the administration. We need a principal and an A.D. who cares about the program. All the A.D. cares about is trying to find a way to get rid of Copley for his own personal gain. He's gonna do everything he can to get the P.E. position at the high school. If the principal lets this happen, well in my opinion, neither one is much of a man!!!!!!
Do you think they would really get rid of the coach after one season of 7-6? I'd say that's just rumors.
EastKyMiner Wrote:Do you think they would really get rid of the coach after one season of 7-6? I'd say that's just rumors.

I would hope not. Brutal schedule that was set up by Jackson so no matter who came in next they would fail. 5-5 record was pretty much what everyone expected, but we expected to be more competitive with Ashland, P'burg, and Belfry. Young coach who needs to be willing to change things if system is not working. More offensive sets for starters.
State Champs Wrote:Be careful you may step on the wrong toes.
Were not trying to step on any toes. Read my Panther Touchdown Club thread and it will explain it.
stripminer Wrote:It starts with the administration. We need a principal and an A.D. who cares about the program. All the A.D. cares about is trying to find a way to get rid of Copley for his own personal gain. He's gonna do everything he can to get the P.E. position at the high school. If the principal lets this happen, well in my opinion, neither one is much of a man!!!!!!

Big Grin Well said. Nothing wrong with a little constructive criticism!
EastKyMiner Wrote:Do you think they would really get rid of the coach after one season of 7-6? I'd say that's just rumors.

I agree. The administration must have thought this was the right guy to lead the program or they wouldn't have hired him to start with. It would reflect bad on the people that made the decision to hire him in the first place if they fired him after one year. I've heard people saying that their trying to lay it off on his teaching in P.E. I mean, come on, it's P.E.
Jackson was the man that started the decline. Copley is pretty much more of the same. Alot of talk and not much understanding of football or of the young men who play the game. Quality of practice and conditioning are not measured by quanity of lip service. Once the hopefully (new) coach and AD learn about putting the kids first the program will flourish. Meanwhile Pikeville will find parity in a very weak district.
Its time to get behind the program the players and coaches and move forward
SportsKing Wrote:What are some constructive ideas that could help the Pikeville Football program get back to the days of old?

I think Pikeville has a decent program, but is in bad need of a offensive coordinator to Help coach Copley exspand in different sets. My opinion there was alot of talent that was not used or even close to being used to its potential. Alot of people thought they only had 1 kid that could catch the football cosistently, I know better. Hopefully they will not overlook as much next season, , It takes many spokes to make a wheel, sooner they figure that out the better, they sure didnt this season. ( Ya they had a tough schedule). good luck next year. My constuctive idea is hire a proven offensive mind . IMO. Go Panthers
Tomcat52 Wrote:Jackson was the man that started the decline. Copley is pretty much more of the same. Alot of talk and not much understanding of football or of the young men who play the game. Quality of practice and conditioning are not measured by quanity of lip service. Once the hopefully (new) coach and AD learn about putting the kids first the program will flourish. Meanwhile Pikeville will find parity in a very weak district.

B I N G O
Hey JETPILOT, how do you think the Panthers will be next year?
Lextrots Wrote:I think Pikeville has a decent program, but is in bad need of a offensive coordinator to Help coach Copley exspand in different sets. My opinion there was alot of talent that was not used or even close to being used to its potential. Alot of people thought they only had 1 kid that could catch the football cosistently, I know better. Hopefully they will not overlook as much next season, , It takes many spokes to make a wheel, sooner they figure that out the better, they sure didnt this season. ( Ya they had a tough schedule). good luck next year. My constuctive idea is hire a proven offensive mind . IMO. Go Panthers

i agree with an offensive cooridnator that was expiernced and knew what he wa din would help the Panther a whole lot!!
SportsKing Wrote:Hey JETPILOT, how do you think the Panthers will be next year?

Hopefully not sinking so low that people think that if we beat Paintsville we are overachieving. It will be more of the same if changes are not made.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Were not trying to step on any toes. Read my Panther Touchdown Club thread and it will explain it.

How will everyone react if Copely is not rehired as coach?