Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FINAL: Paintsville- 42 Prestonsburg -21
Mojo, i'm sorry if my post came out sounding like my opinion was that paintsville isnt a good team or a regional contenter for that matter. That wasnt the impression i was trying to send. Paintsville is a very good team and that's obvious because no matter how down pburg is they will always be pburg and will always be a tough team to beat. But all I said was that i thought pikeville would beat paintsville, just an honest opinion. But i do think both teams will beat hazard and I will go out on a limb and say that these 2 teams will play for the regional title.
torQQue Wrote:I think Pikeville and Paintsville will both easily beat Hazard.

I think Paintsville has a good shot of beating Pikeville, Pikeville plays them both in back to back weeks. After Hazard Paintsville has South Floyd then Pikeville. Scheduling may play in favor for the Tigers.
Red and Black Wrote:Mojo, i'm sorry if my post came out sounding like my opinion was that paintsville isnt a good team or a regional contenter for that matter. That wasnt the impression i was trying to send. Paintsville is a very good team and that's obvious because no matter how down pburg is they will always be pburg and will always be a tough team to beat. But all I said was that i thought pikeville would beat paintsville, just an honest opinion. But i do think both teams will beat hazard and I will go out on a limb and say that these 2 teams will play for the regional title.

It's not just your post, and I want you to understand that. I know frustration is setting in on the Blackcats, but they need to understand their non-district schedule is not of the cupcake type. It was just that Hazard beat P-burg by 2, and then suddenly Hazard is the team to beat in the district. Pikeville beats the unenthused Cats (Played worse in this one than they did in Hazard and Paintsville combined) by 24, and then Pikeville is the team to beat. Paintsville then goes out and beats the Blackcats by 21 (best game the Blackcats have played thus far) and Paintsville is a fair team, but Prestonsburg is terrible. See what I'm saying my frustration isn't just on the Blackcat fans but fans in general. People aren't giving Paintsville the respect, I now think they deserve. Pikeville may very well hand Paintsville their lunch, but I'd like to see the Tigers be respected by that time. You know what they say about respect, if no one gives it you must demand it. As I've said before, nothing to worry about Cats, good non-district schedule plays off in the end and the first week in November you'll see the Blackcats at Josh Francis field.
I see where you are comin from Mojo. So let me try to let you in on where i'm coming from. I think prestonsburg had 3 TO's against pikeville and hazard both, which is an average amount of TO's in a HS football game. They had 8 vs. paintsville and were still in the game the entire game up untill the 4th QTR., while paintsville had 1 TO if i'm not mistaken. Therefore, IMO if paintsville was that much better than hazard or pikeville then they should have beaten prestonsburg by 40 at least. I hope you understand where i'm coming from. But paintsville is a good team dont get me wrong, and i'm sure they will continue to improve every week from here on out, but from what I saw in the Pburg-Pikeville game and the Pburg-Paintsville game I would have to say that Pikeville is the clear cut favorite to win that district AS OF NOW, but that could change by the time those teams play for the district title, and that's why the game is played on the field and not in the brains of the spectators.
Prestonsburg had been a huge let down so far, The only postive thing I have seen from them is the play of Shaffer
That is true, Shaffer has played good so far. Some passes have been off, but he and Peters seem to be the only ones that have showed heart from what I've seen out of the 2 games I've watched of the 'cats.
Red and Black Wrote:I see where you are comin from Mojo. So let me try to let you in on where i'm coming from. I think prestonsburg had 3 TO's against pikeville and hazard both, which is an average amount of TO's in a HS football game. They had 8 vs. paintsville and were still in the game the entire game up untill the 4th QTR., while paintsville had 1 TO if i'm not mistaken. Therefore, IMO if paintsville was that much better than hazard or pikeville then they should have beaten prestonsburg by 40 at least. I hope you understand where i'm coming from. But paintsville is a good team dont get me wrong, and i'm sure they will continue to improve every week from here on out, but from what I saw in the Pburg-Pikeville game and the Pburg-Paintsville game I would have to say that Pikeville is the clear cut favorite to win that district AS OF NOW, but that could change by the time those teams play for the district title, and that's why the game is played on the field and not in the brains of the spectators.

Completely understand your view point. Paintsville hadn't played any competition, and was lucky to escape with a victory. Yes, 8 to 1 turnover ratio doesn't look good for the Tigers but on defense, they had 2 let up's that resulted in TD's. The other TD came on a good drive by the Cats. Paintsville turned the ball over 2 or 3 times inside their red zone, they have to capitalize in the red zone. They also missed a field goal, that I felt Collett would nail but I was wrong. Paintsville will improve on these things as the year progresses. The next big game being the Apple Bowl, and if they have let down's on defense in that game, Blume will have a hay day. But it's one game at a time, and I'm like you Pikeville is the team to beat in the district. Hazard isn't going to be a joy ride for the Tigers either.
Thanks, i'm glad I didnt come off to be a prick or anything because anybody that knows me knows i'm one of the easiest ppl to get along with. But about your earlier statement about Paintsville getting no respect, maybe you should just wait a week or 2 for their victory over a powerhouse prestonsburg team to set in on everybody and realize that p-ville is undefeated. Just give it some time Mojo.
Red and Black Wrote:Thanks, i'm glad I didnt come off to be a prick or anything because anybody that knows me knows i'm one of the easiest ppl to get along with. But about your earlier statement about Paintsville getting no respect, maybe you should just wait a week or 2 for their victory over a powerhouse prestonsburg team to set in on everybody and realize that p-ville is undefeated. Just give it some time Mojo.

No prickish thoughts here. Yeah maybe I should be more patient. Hazard has two quality wins. PCC who is down, and would have a good game with Fairview, Paintsville's other quality win. They have the common denominator in Prestonsburg and just look at the scores. But yet Hazard is in Mt. Top Ten and AP 1A Top Ten maybe it should be that way with Paintsville having 8 TO not turn into points. Good Luck to your Cats the rest of the way, I have faith in them boys. You all have some ball players.
how many losses for the Blackcats?
P-burg is 0-3 right now.

Shaffer has played good this year, but he throws the ball a lot better when he has more time to sit back in the pocket rather than being on the run all the time.
Just a few thoughts:

P-Burg has almost their whole line back from last year. That's why everyone, including me, thought they would win the district. Leadership is what is keeping them down right now.

P-Burg was a different team in the 2nd half. It's something the Burg can build on. I can't believe all the negative Blackcat fans on here already giving up on the whole season. I think P-Burg will be 0-4 after this weekend. But, i also would not want to face them at the end of the year.

The Tigers were only a state power in the late 70's and early 80's. They also had a few glory years mixed in there sice then.

Paintsville should have scored late in the 2nd quarter to make it 28-7. What would that have done to P-Burg????? Instead, P-Burg comes out and shows life and Paintsville comes out playing not to lose. Where was the on-field leadership for Paintsville in the 3rd quarter????

P-Burg: I think they will be just fine. They might lose a couple of more games. But, their real season doesn't start until the playoffs, and I like their chances. They have the line experience, a good back, and a good (and big, quick) running QB that will take them a long way in the playoffs. All it takes is a few good games to get on a roll.

Paintsville: This team might lose to JCHS and Pikeville. That would be it. They need to learn from the P-Burg game. They need to take advantage of every TO they get. How many points did they score off 8 TO's???? This team is going to get stronger each week when the tougher games get here. I look for a Pikeville/Paintsville regional final that will be a great game. (I'm not overlooking Somerset and Lynn Camp. I know both are very good teams. I just feel both PHS teams are better.)

Good luck Cats and Tigers.
sportwhiz Wrote:Just a few thoughts:

P-Burg has almost their whole line back from last year. That's why everyone, including me, thought they would win the district. Leadership is what is keeping them down right now.

P-Burg was a different team in the 2nd half. It's something the Burg can build on. I can't believe all the negative Blackcat fans on here already giving up on the whole season. I think P-Burg will be 0-4 after this weekend. But, i also would not want to face them at the end of the year.

The Tigers were only a state power in the late 70's and early 80's. They also had a few glory years mixed in there sice then.

Paintsville should have scored late in the 2nd quarter to make it 28-7. What would that have done to P-Burg????? Instead, P-Burg comes out and shows life and Paintsville comes out playing not to lose. Where was the on-field leadership for Paintsville in the 3rd quarter????

P-Burg: I think they will be just fine. They might lose a couple of more games. But, their real season doesn't start until the playoffs, and I like their chances. They have the line experience, a good back, and a good (and big, quick) running QB that will take them a long way in the playoffs. All it takes is a few good games to get on a roll.

Paintsville: This team might lose to JCHS and Pikeville. That would be it. They need to learn from the P-Burg game. They need to take advantage of every TO they get. How many points did they score off 8 TO's???? This team is going to get stronger each week when the tougher games get here. I look for a Pikeville/Paintsville regional final that will be a great game. (I'm not overlooking Somerset and Lynn Camp. I know both are very good teams. I just feel both PHS teams are better.)

Good luck Cats and Tigers.

To be honest with you about on the field leadership, I really don't think that was the let down for the Tigers. The adjustments weren't corrected at half time to tweak the defense to stop the run up the middle. To be a good team, a defensive coach has to make decision on the run. Paintsville ate up all of the 3rd trying to figure out how to stop the Cats. That adjustment should have been made at the half, it was evident that the defense wasn't working to stop the run up the middle, the solution was already in the Tigers playbook but they didn't use it until the fourth. Once Prestonsburg momentum got going on offense it transferred over to the defense, and it seemed the Cats had the Tigers on the ropes. Before you start asking about on the field leadership, I think you need to look at some of the variables of the situation. No offense to you or any other poster, I know it was the players fault they let the cats back into the ballgame but sometimes there are reasons behind that.
Sportwhiz, I don't think any has given up on P-burg, just dissapointed in how they have been playing as of late. We all know they are a better team then has showed up the past couple Friday nights. Hopefully they will get it together here in the next few weeks.
I'm not overlooking Somerset and Lynn Camp. I know both are very good teams. I just feel both PHS teams are better
Is there any way that Somerset, Lynn Camp, and Hazard can go ahead and get out of the way and just let Paintsville pullverise Pikeville and the NKY representative and claim the state title?
Daddy Cat Wrote:Is there any way that Somerset, Lynn Camp, and Hazard can go ahead and get out of the way and just let Paintsville pullverise Pikeville and the NKY representative and claim the state title?

That will happen Cat the day that UK sweeps thru the SEC this year on the way to the Rose Bowl to take on USC for a national title.
PHSFAN Wrote:That will happen Cat the day that UK sweeps thru the SEC this year on the way to the Rose Bowl to take on USC for a national title.
You should'nt talk crazy! I don't look for USC to make it! Smile
PHSFAN Wrote:That will happen Cat the day that UK sweeps thru the SEC this year on the way to the Rose Bowl to take on USC for a national title.

I like your sense of humor, I'm laughing with you. Paintsville will not pullvarise Pikeville, but they may very well beat them.
JKWON33 Wrote:I like your sense of humor, I'm laughing with you. Paintsville will not pullvarise Pikeville, but they may very well beat them.

I agree Paintsville won't pullvarise Pikeville but the part I was talking about is the state title part. Having seen NCC play I don't think there is a team in Class A Region 4 that can compete with Beechwood and/or NCC this year, and most years really. NCC dominated a good Pikeville team in every aspect of the game and the winner of Region 4 is going to be playing the semi-final game in the Cincinnati Metro area and that makes it even more less likely.