Poll: Who wins this battle?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
79.33%
Breathitt
20.67%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt County @ Belfry (3A Semi-Finals)
yessur Wrote:I made the comment about the team who wants it more will win. Do you honestly think that isnt true? have you ever seen these two play in the past decade? Well i played belfry 3 times. Everytime it came down to who truly wanted it more. The X's and O's mean nothing. Both coaches and staff know the game, inside and out. Both teams will face adversity. In the end, the group of young men that want and need it most, will travel to the carpet. Simple fact. Obviously you have never been on either team when they have faced each other in the playoffs. Goodluck Breathitt. I hope you make the overall record 4-2 against the pirates.

As has been stated already in this thread, the overall record is 7-7.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:So I guess you would agree that the "best team" or the team with the "most talent".....doesn't always win? Pure desire can carry a team to victory?

I can agree with you to an extent.....but that certainly isn't the norm. I've played and coached at virtually every level....and while desire and determination is vital to the overall sucess of any team.....more times than not.......talent wins out. Not the best coaching....not who "who wants it more"......but sheer talent. Sometimes great coaching can trump better talent and vice versa so there are exceptions........ and with teams that are evenly matched in talent and coaching...sheer will definitely has it's place.

However, in this upcoming Breathitt/Belfry game....talent is going to trump. Talent will be the hill for one team or the other to climb. Motivation is not going to be an issue. There is no edge in terms of coaching. The coaching staffs are equaly matched. It's going to come down to execution and talent. To say that one team wants it more than another is shortsighted in my opinion.

Both teams have put long hrs in on the practice field for this opportunity. Both want to make the trip. No...this game will not be decided by who "wants it more".
Good post.....Both teams have seniors that want to keep playing and both teams have proven coaches.........Is Belfry more talented? Maybe, maybe not.......I hope Breathitt makes it a game this year..........Only 49 hours away from kick-off!
Twitter: @tc_analytics

This one is going down hill quick. Please make posts that make sense, state opinions, (within rules please), and are on topic.

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
belfry by 17
BelfryPride Wrote:There will be a Bonfire tomorrow night about 6:30 at the Soccer Field adjacent to the stadium. Be sure to come out and let the boys know how much we appreciate them and show your Pirate Pride!!!

Note: This will be held after the they finish practice and they eat, so it will start shortly thereafter..

Go Pirates!!!
Will I be hung if I show up? I will wear my Breathitt Co. sweatshirt and hat.....lol :confused:

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Will I be hung if I show up? I will wear my Breathitt Co. sweatshirt and hat.....lol :confused:

No man, they won't hang ya, they might toss you in the fire though.Wink
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Will I be hung if I show up? I will wear my Breathitt Co. sweatshirt and hat.....lol :confused:

Come on over... We'll take that Breathitt sweatshirt from ya and give ya a nice red and white one to wear!!!....LOL....

Bucs... what are you thinkin.... We won't throw him in... We don't cook up our meat (grilled bobcat) untiil around 6:00 on Friday evening!!! HAHAHA

phs1986 Wrote:Come on over... We'll take that Breathitt sweatshirt from ya and give ya a nice red and white one to wear!!!....LOL....
LOLSmile
I would love to go to the bonfire and game but I have to stay here in Campbellsville and work......Good luck to both teams and I hope that everyone has a good, safe night Friday.....I will be on here as I was last season getting updates..........My favorite color is red, so the switch in colors may not be so traumatic.......lol

I keep hearing about "fried-Bobcat" and that reminds me of the last time I heard that joke.....It was from my brother-in-law and he said that there would be fried-Blackcat before Prestonsburg beat Breathitt......Overconfidence can get ya beat.....

Too much Belfry, close early with Belfry pulling away in the fourth quarter!!! Haywood back to the carpet!!!!!!
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:LOLSmile
I would love to go to the bonfire and game but I have to stay here in Campbellsville and work......Good luck to both teams and I hope that everyone has a good, safe night Friday.....I will be on here as I was last season getting updates..........My favorite color is red, so the switch in colors may not be so traumatic.......lol

I keep hearing about "fried-Bobcat" and that reminds me of the last time I heard that joke.....It was from my brother-in-law and he said that there would be fried-Blackcat before Prestonsburg beat Breathitt......Overconfidence can get ya beat.....

A very true statement but overconfident those kids and coaches will not be. They will be prepared to work hard, work long, and earn their way.

Hey... as far as shirts go.... We may be asking your addy... LOL... We can send you one via snail mail!!! LOL...

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Overconfidence can get ya beat.....

Well, the fans can be as overconfident and cocky as they want to be, just as long the coaches and players are not.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pirate Pal Wrote:Through my eyes......

1. Belfry will be playing at CAM and win or lose it is the very last home game that these Seniors will ever play at home, which will put extra fire in their guts I'm sure.

2. Belfry have been playing excellent TEAM ball this year leaving most egos off the field. From Charlie, Andrew, Casey, Ivan, Thomas, Gary, Corey, Randy, Timmy and everyone else out there, they are all MVP's and make it happen each and every game.

3. Breathitt has a great football program and is a past State Champ, as is Belfry, and will also be feeling that some revenge is necessary for last year's loss.

4. Belfry will win at the LOS on both sides of the ball. I haven't seen any weak links in that position all year.

5. Breathitt may complete some passes on Belfry but after an interception or 2 they are going to have to go back to running the ball and I don't see 1 back getting the job done by himself.

Just an observation, but with ALMOST every post made by a Breathitt fan or anyone predicting Breathitt will win has pretty much put the entire game on 1 kids shoulders and I don't think that is fair to that kid.

Fugate may be that most talented player that ever stepped foot on a football field, I don't know, I haven't seen him, but to have that much hype and pressure placed upon you by fans is kinda unfair. I haven't read anything else about Breathitt's TEAM as a whole, just about how Fugate is going to "get his 4Td's" or run over Belfry.

My question is to the Breathitt fans...If Breathitt loses, are you going to blame that on Fugate too since he is all you mention?

My prediction for the game:

Belfry - 42
Breathitt - 21

We win as a team and lose as a team! No one person will be at fault if we lose this game and no one player will win this game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuJIu3BL4...r_embedded

I won't be surprised to see more of the same. Mostly because even though we lost Jimbo on the line, we replaced him with Corey. Everyone else is back up front. The Bobcat front will be pushed around all night long, just like last year. So long as Drew, Ivan, Charlie, and Thomas can hold onto the ball, they'll have gaping wide holes to run through.

On the other side of the ball, sure, maybe our DBs are our weak link as everyone else believes (or WANTS to believe). But they've all got INTs this season, 2 of them return from last year, and even if Breathitt drops back to pass, the QB isn't going to have long before Corey and Randy feed him some astroturf. Heaven forbid Charlie's on the same side as Randy and Corey (both of whom have to be double teamed) and blitzes between them, it's happened a couple of times this season and from the stands you just feel sorry for the QB... "But Fugate is the best RB in the mountains" Maybe, though I disagree, and besides, as good as he may be he's still going to have 11 Pirates coming after him, largely unblocked.

Maybe not as runaway as it was last year (I admit, Breathitt made a lot of mistakes and you could tell they were a young squad), but a solid thrashing in the 40s to single digits or low teens. Belfry will be ready for this game, make no mistake. They are hungry for what lies beyond, and the coaches will make sure they keep their eyes on this moment.
C.Clair Wrote:Channing is a huge guy. He goes about 6 foot 2 and about 240 lbs. The pads are so big because he is such a big person.
Channing does not have big pads at all he is just that big of a guy. He gained muscle mass from last year so the game jersey won't fit him anymore. He uses his practice jersey.
Just face it guys. The better team will win... it's not the home field advantage or anything like that... it is the want to win from the seniors on each team to show leadership.... but as the game draws closer I am feeling
Belfry- 48
Brethitt- 41
I have to take the Haddix led Bobcats over the Pirates Friday because of passing from Jade instead of Fugate running the ball. I take
BOBCATS 34
Pirates 28
99% of all games are won by the team who does a better job of executing the fundamentals of blocking, tackling and kicking.

Talent is a part of that as more talented teams will do those things better. Coaching is a part of that as better coached teams will do those things better. Mental preparedness is a part of that as the better mentally prepared teams will do those things better. The intangibles are a part of that as teams with a lot of heart, desire and intestinal fortitude will do those things better.

Some teams have some of those things and lack others. Very few teams excell in all those areas. I don't think you can single out any one thing, like "want to", as a more important factor than anything else.

In the end, it will come down to the things in the first sentence in this post.
Belfry 48
Bobcats 21
Its going to be the 12th man that wins it 4 belfry!
Buc-a-roo Wrote:99% of all games are won by the team who does a better job of executing the fundamentals of blocking, tackling and kicking.

Talent is a part of that as more talented teams will do those things better. Coaching is a part of that as better coached teams will do those things better. Mental preparedness is a part of that as the better mentally prepared teams will do those things better. The intangibles are a part of that as teams with a lot of heart, desire and intestinal fortitude will do those things better.

Some teams have some of those things and lack others. Very few teams excell in all those areas. I don't think you can single out any one thing, like "want to", as a more important factor than anything else.

AMEN but i still have to pull for the pirates:devilflam :devilflam
Buc-a-roo Wrote:99% of all games are won by the team who does a better job of executing the fundamentals of blocking, tackling and kicking.

Finally! Some common sense. Belfry is not the only team that possesses those qualities. The big difference in these two teams is the kicking game (or lack thereof) of Breathitt. All season long, their extra points, kickoffs and FG attempts have been an adventure. It hasn't hurt them much so far, but it will be exposed this game.
exactly man. but the team that wins will be the team that their starters are prepared to dig deep and fight hard all game long
In response to some earlier posts, over the last twenty years I can definitely recall more than 5 games between Breathitt and Belfry...

In '89, I think, Breathitt went to Death Valley and won 13-6 en route to an undefeated season. In the playoffs that year, Belfry went to Jackson and avenged that loss (24-13, I think).

Breathitt won big in a game in 1997...don't remember the exact score (42-6, maybe).

They've also had several playoff matchups since then...

1999 @ Belfry - Breathitt 47, Belfry 42
2000 @ Breathitt - Breathitt 28, Belfry 20
2001 @ Breathitt - Belfry 27, Breathitt 26
2002 @ Belfry - Breathitt 21, Belfry 0
2007 @ Belfry - Belfry 62, Breathitt 28

That's 8 games off the top of my head and I'm sure there's been more.

As for this game, from what I've seen and know of these two teams...I don't believe either team is as good as they were last year.

Breathitt's defense struggles against big physical teams that run the ball right at you because their line is undersized. The offense is good, but not unstoppable.

Belfry is a typical Belfry team. Tough and physical on both sides.

I would favor Belfry by 2-3 TD's in this game, but I think Breathitt stands a better chance at winning this year than they did last year.

For Breathitt to win, they need some mistakes and turnovers from Belfry. They need some big plays from the passing game, a typical game from Channing Fugate, and they need to get a lead and play the game with the lead...and hopefully force Belfry to have to pass later in the game.

For Belfry to win, they just need to play their game and not make mistakes that kill drives or give the ball away.
:letsparty
Eleanor Rigby Wrote:In response to some earlier posts, over the last twenty years I can definitely recall more than 5 games between Breathitt and Belfry...

In '89, I think, Breathitt went to Death Valley and won 13-6 en route to an undefeated season. In the playoffs that year, Belfry went to Jackson and avenged that loss (24-13, I think).

Breathitt won big in a game in 1997...don't remember the exact score (42-6, maybe).

As for this game, from what I've seen and know of these two teams...I don't believe either team is as good as they were last year.

Breathitt's defense struggles against big physical teams that run the ball right at you because their line is undersized. The offense is good, but not unstoppable.

I would favor Belfry by 2-3 TD's in this game, but I think Breathitt stands a better chance at winning this year than they did last year.

For Breathitt to win, they need some mistakes and turnovers from Belfry. They need some big plays from the passing game, a typical game from Channing Fugate, and they need to get a lead and play the game with the lead...and hopefully force Belfry to have to pass later in the game.

For Belfry to win, they just need to play their game and not make mistakes that kill drives or give the ball away.

exactly but i still say that Belfry will win... yes Brethitt will have a better chance this year but they will have their time next year.... the buck stops here for Brethitt COunty
Did EKU somehow get suspended or did he just decide on an alter ego "Elenoir?"
PaytoPlay Wrote:Did EKU somehow get suspended or did he just decide on an alter ego "Elenoir?"
Smile Smile
i think belfry is on the roll....i think it is going to be another boreing ballgame at cam ........
C.Clair Wrote:We win as a team and lose as a team! No one person will be at fault if we lose this game and no one player will win this game.

I'm glad you said that :thumpsup:

Maybe you can tell me about Breathitt as a TEAM....who and what are their strengths and weaknesses in your opinion (I know all about the Fugate kid already)?
ACB&JAM Wrote::letsparty

exactly but i still say that Belfry will win... yes Brethitt will have a better chance this year but they will have their time next year.... the buck stops here for Brethitt COunty

I'd be surprised to see Breathitt win Friday.
Eleanor Rigby Wrote:In response to some earlier posts, over the last twenty years I can definitely recall more than 5 games between Breathitt and Belfry...

I would have to disagree with that. I believe Belfry is a better team this year than last.
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next