Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6-Straight Semi-Final Appearences for Belfry
what other team in the mountains has been to that many in a row or more?
Pikeville, mabe in the 80's
goodjob pirates!!!! raise the flag!!
Enjoy the ride while you are on the upswing.

Its been a very nice run for the pirates.
great job pirates. roll on boy's.
Looks like it will be 7 after Fri.
blitz43 Wrote:Looks like it will be 7 after Fri.

Friday is semi for both of us.You should know that.
easy breathitt bobcat easy lol jokin jokin we pals
this friday makes it 6 straight final fours for the pirates,and breahitt it just your 2nd straight,you got a ways to go before you get 6 straight...go pirates
pirates gonna rock the ship friday night right cuppett!!
No, Belfry has been in the final 4 the last 6 years. Won it twice (03/04, lost to Russell twice(05/06), then last year and this one. Different classes, yes, but final four none-the-less.

Those Russell teams were VERY impressive. I'm still surprised they lost to Mercer, double the Devils' population or not Tongue And no matter who got that trophy, the Devils were the best 2A team that year anyway!
Sarrr Wrote:No, Belfry has been in the final 4 the last 6 years. Won it twice (03/04, lost to Russell twice(05/06), then last year and this one. Different classes, yes, but final four none-the-less.

Those Russell teams were VERY impressive. I'm still surprised they lost to Mercer, double the Devils' population or not Tongue And no matter who got that trophy, the Devils were the best 2A team that year anyway!

Yea, the thread said 6 straight final fours.
Russell made 6 semi final appearances from 77-84( 77,78, 81,82,83,84) and then had a streak from 02-06(02,04,05, 06).
thanks for the back up bucslover
thats right college one.go pirates
FBALL Wrote:Russell made 6 semi final appearances from 77-84( 77,78, 81,82,83,84) and then had a streak from 02-06(02,04,05, 06).

None of those total 6 consecutive, sorry. I don't know of any team that has done what BHS has done in the past 6 years from this side of Lexington. Maybe St. X or Trinity has done that, but no mountain team.

I will research this to see.:1:
Mayfield had an impressive run of State Semi's here recently.
Pikeville had a run in the 90's that started with their state runner-up in '91, but I can't remember how long it went. Seems like it ran through '95 or '96. I will do some research or we will let joethegreek do it and I will get back to ya.
Boyle County
bucslover68 Wrote:Pikeville had a run in the 90's that started with their state runner-up in '91, but I can't remember how long it went. Seems like it ran through '95 or '96. I will do some research or we will let joethegreek do it and I will get back to ya.
Pikeville's run was 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96. Six straight years, and their semifinal record during that span was 1-5.

They also made it in 99, 00 and of course 87, 88 and 89.

That was 11 out of 14 years they were in the semifinals, pretty darn impressive.
This isn't an EKY team, but Mayfield has an unbelievable record. They were in the semifinals something like 25 out of 27 years. That streak ended a couple of seasons ago, but it is still a remarkable record.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:This isn't an EKY team, but Mayfield has an unbelievable record. They were in the semifinals something like 25 out of 27 years. That streak ended a couple of seasons ago, but it is still a remarkable record.

Thanks for the backup..that's what I was thinking.:Thumbs:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Thanks for the backup..that's what I was thinking.:Thumbs:
I missed your post earlier. I guess great minds do think alike.
ukcatfan88 Wrote:None of those total 6 consecutive, sorry. I don't know of any team that has done what BHS has done in the past 6 years from this side of Lexington. Maybe St. X or Trinity has done that, but no mountain team.

I will research this to see.:1:
I never said it was six consecutive. But that is still two very impressive streaks that most schools don't ever see. Just throwing out some comparisons between two of the more storied programs in EKY.
FBALL Wrote:I never said it was six consecutive. But that is still two very impressive streaks that most schools don't ever see. Just throwing out some comparisons between two of the more storied programs in EKY.

Yep, that is impressive, and a tribute to one of the most consistent programs in the state.
bucslover68 Wrote:Yep, that is impressive, and a tribute to one of the most consistent programs in the state.

Hey;we had 42 consecutive wins 95;96;97.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:Hey;we had 42 consecutive wins 95;96;97.

Those Breathitt teams may very well be three of the 7 or 8 best teams to ever come out of the mountains, and the two state title teams are right up there with the Pikeville teams of the 80's and the 2003 Belfry team for the best team ever out of EKY. I still believe if Lawrence doesn't upset them they 3-peat.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:Hey;we had 42 consecutive wins 95;96;97.

Tied for the 3rd longest streak in state history.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Those Breathitt teams may very well be three of the 7 or 8 best teams to ever come out of the mountains, and the two state title teams are right up there with the Pikeville teams of the 80's and the 2003 Belfry team for the best team ever out of EKY. I still believe if Lawrence doesn't upset them they 3-peat.

That wasn't an upset......it was a travisty of justice.We would have easily I think.We really wanted Bourbon.
Belfry definitely has an exceptional football program. Congratulations