Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monroe County 32 - Green Co. 27
Final....
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Monroe has had a heck of a turn around from last year. Good win and Green Shouldn't hang there heads. Great game by both teams.
Man, great game! Our coach had the worste play calling in the state!!!!!
How many times did green pass the ball in this game.
stonesteven Wrote:Man, great game! Our coach had the worste play calling in the state!!!!!
Time management and play-calling left a lot to be desired tonight as far as GC is concerned. Monroe County has 19 Seniors and they are dangerous for anyone. Green gave this game away with dropped passes, special teams mistakes. and fumbles. Green could not stop the draw play or the roll out pass play that was so predictable a cave-man could see the pattern as far as play-calling on MC's side.

bac2369 Wrote:How many times did green pass the ball in this game.
6 or 7 times I think.

Green needs to put in a few good passing plays. I know there a die hard running team but sometimes it pays to have it in the arsonal.
bac2369 Wrote:Green needs to put in a few good passing plays. I know there a die hard running team but sometimes it pays to have it in the arsonal.
It is hard to pass the ball when you do not have the WR to catch the passes. There were two passes that were in the WR hands and were dropped and stopped drives. There were also a couple passes that the corners dropped that would have been interceptions. I do agree that if Green does not balance the attack they will have a hard time making it through the playoffs.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:It is hard to pass the ball when you do not have the WR to catch the passes. There were two passes that were in the WR hands and were dropped and stopped drives. There were also a couple passes that the corners dropped that would have been interceptions. I do agree that if Green does not balance the attack they will have a hard time making it through the playoffs.

One WR dropped a TD pass
Pigskinman53 Wrote:One WR dropped a TD pass
That is true, but another pass was dropped that would have given GC a first down deep in MC territory....GC did not score that possession. Both drives in which the balls were dropped resulted in no points being scored deep in MC part of the field.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:That is true, but another pass was dropped that would have given GC a first down deep in MC territory....GC did not score that possession. Both drives in which the balls were dropped resulted in no points being scored deep in MC part of the field.

Only way to get them to catch the ball is run more passing plays in practice. Plus if they drop one then thats a down and back for every drop pass.
bac2369 Wrote:Only way to get them to catch the ball is run more passing plays in practice. Plus if they drop one then thats a down and back for every drop pass.
Very true....

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:That is true, but another pass was dropped that would have given GC a first down deep in MC territory....GC did not score that possession. Both drives in which the balls were dropped resulted in no points being scored deep in MC part of the field.

Ya, the first down drop was John my brother, he was so mad after the game!!! But new it was a big mistake and a costly 1!!! But i think they should still pass the ball more opening the field up and giving the run some room... They never pass the ball so their not looking for the pass, they are looking for Pendleton to run, which he is great at!!! But when the run gets shut down u have to have a 2nd plan!!! I think John Stone should be QB pendleton at running back, and Burton on D, since Burton as a freshman leads them in solo tackles!!! John was the QB when they played Ballard!!!
stonesteven Wrote:Ya, the first down drop was John my brother, he was so mad after the game!!! But new it was a big mistake and a costly 1!!! But i think they should still pass the ball more opening the field up and giving the run some room... They never pass the ball so their not looking for the pass, they are looking for Pendleton to run, which he is great at!!! But when the run gets shut down u have to have a 2nd plan!!! I think John Stone should be QB pendleton at running back, and Burton on D, since Burton as a freshman leads them in solo tackles!!! John was the QB when they played Ballard!!!
This is my 2nd year covering the Dragons...Has Green Co. been this run-heavy for a long time? GC is still a very good team and as bad a game as they played against Monroe, they were still in position to win the game. Your Brother has eight interceptions this season and has really done a great job for the defense. Sometimes a loss can teach a team more than winning and we will see how these kids respond in a couple weeks against a tough Marion County team..

They have been run heavy for a while; I have been on three diff. tours with the army in the last five years!!! So for about three years i wasn’t here, but for the last two years i can tell you we have been. Since coach G has been here we have, and as long as he is the coach they will! He coach's the run great better than anyone i have seen, but like i said a few games back, once someone watches few games on us and really studies us. The will stop the run and we will get beat, its coming again with Marion, they will hit our run game hard, and sacrifice the pass! Maybe we will throw the ball, or maybe we will run the same 4 or 5 plays all year?
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:This is my 2nd year covering the Dragons...Has Green Co. been this run-heavy for a long time? GC is still a very good team and as bad a game as they played against Monroe, they were still in position to win the game. Your Brother has eight interceptions this season and has really done a great job for the defense. Sometimes a loss can teach a team more than winning and we will see how these kids respond in a couple weeks against a tough Marion County team..

Last year the Dragons passed for around 1200 yards, which isn't a GREAT amount but better than last year
Pigskinman53 Wrote:Last year the Dragons passed for around 1200 yards, which isn't a GREAT amount but better than last year
1200 yards is not great, but is descent......The Dragons are going to be tested against Marion and I am interested to see how they play as far as effort and execution.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:1200 yards is not great, but is descent......The Dragons are going to be tested against Marion and I am interested to see how they play as far as effort and execution.

I think this game will be won by coaching! Lets hope that the special terams come for green county, they havent been to good this year!
stonesteven Wrote:I think this game will be won by coaching! Lets hope that the special terams come for green county, they havent been to good this year!

Well BAD as the Dragons played if we catch a 2 passes we still win the game. It's easy to sit back and blame the coaches, but I've been following Green Co. football for a long time and I can remember when The Dragons couldn't field a decent team. And now their beating people like Hazard, Glasgow, and being ranked in the Top 10 in the state. How quick and easy some people will jump off the Bandwagon! Nothing worse than a bandwagon fan!!!!
Pigskinman53 Wrote:Well BAD as the Dragons played if we catch a 2 passes we still win the game. It's easy to sit back and blame the coaches, but I've been following Green Co. football for a long time and I can remember when The Dragons couldn't field a decent team. And now their beating people like Hazard, Glasgow, and being ranked in the Top 10 in the state. How quick and easy some people will jump off the Bandwagon! Nothing worse than a bandwagon fan!!!!
I think we all support the team and have not jumped off the "bandwagon." Just because we discuss problems we see does not mean we are not supportive. Even when the Dragons are winning it is obvious that they are too run-heavy.....They have attempted to pass more in the last few games, but the passing game is just not working efficiently. The coaches know what they are doing and the kids work very hard, and we as fans discuss the team and the things we see that are good or not so good in our eyes, has nothing to do with jumping off a "bandwagon." Go Dragons!

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:I think we all support the team and have not jumped off the "bandwagon." Just because we discuss problems we see does not mean we are not supportive. Even when the Dragons are winning it is obvious that they are too run-heavy.....They have attempted to pass more in the last few games, but the passing game is just not working efficiently. The coaches know what they are doing and the kids work very hard, and we as fans discuss the team and the things we see that are good or not so good in our eyes, has nothing to do with jumping off a "bandwagon." Go Dragons!

But have you ever watched Belfry play? As the saying goes "It's more than one way to skin a cat" I've not seen any stats but I would say each team passed the ball about the same. The different was Monroe Co. kids caught the passes. I agree that coaches and fans alike do get on messages board and talk about things. I just think EVERYBODY should be behind the team players and coaches. I just don't think it's right to get on here and say "This game was won by coaching" I've never seen a coach drop a pass or miss a block.
Pigskinman53 Wrote:But have you ever watched Belfry play? As the saying goes "It's more than one way to skin a cat" I've not seen any stats but I would say each team passed the ball about the same. The different was Monroe Co. kids caught the passes. I agree that coaches and fans alike do get on messages board and talk about things. I just think EVERYBODY should be behind the team players and coaches. I just don't think it's right to get on here and say "This game was won by coaching" I've never seen a coach drop a pass or miss a block.
I am not saying that the offense is not effective because it obviously gets results. I so think that a little balance makes it easier to run the ball and GC has attempted to mix in the pass more in the last couple games. Coaches can only put the kids in position to be successful and it is the kids that make the decisive play. GC has good coaching and is very young, and with youth comes inconsistency. Every GC fan on here is behind the team, we all want the best for the kids and the program as a whole. If there was a mistake on the coaching side it would have been on defense. Every 3rd down play the whole game Monroe rolled to the left and passed, and all that needed to be done was a shift on the line on 3rd down or slanting of the line to the left. The Dragons will be ok and I hope they learn from this loss and comeout playing with intensity next Friday.

First of all:
BrahmaBull has a Breathitt background so of course anything that doesn't involve spreading the field and chucking the ball around will always be uncomfortable for him Big Grin

In terms of comparing Belfry and Green's passing:

This season Belfry's QB Andrew Elkins is 29/39 for 449 yards and 6 TD's with 0 INT's.

Green County's QB Justin Pendleton is 28/59 for 460 yards, 3TD's, and 5 INT's.

In 2007:
Belfry QB Elkins was 45/87 for 629 yards, 6 TD's, and 2 INT's.
Green Co. QB Pendleton was 55/105 for 1188 yards, 13 TD's, and 5 INT's.

When Belfry won the state title in 03 and 04:
2003 QB Paul Howard was 44/82 for 863 yards, 10 TD, 2 INT's
2004 QB Adam Warren was 30/50 for 722 yards, 9 TD's, 2 INT's

This proves you don't have to pass the ball all over the field to be able to win the state title with a dominant rushing team, but the stat that jumps out aout Belfry's QB's is that they always complete over 50% of their passes and have very few INT's despite a very high ratio of TD's in comparison with passes thrown.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:First of all:
BrahmaBull has a Breathitt background so of course anything that doesn't involve spreading the field and chucking the ball around will always be uncomfortable for him Big Grin

In terms of comparing Belfry and Green's passing:

This season Belfry's QB Andrew Elkins is 29/39 for 449 yards and 6 TD's with 0 INT's.

Green County's QB Justin Pendleton is 28/59 for 460 yards, 3TD's, and 5 INT's.

In 2007:
Belfry QB Elkins was 45/87 for 629 yards, 6 TD's, and 2 INT's.
Green Co. QB Pendleton was 55/105 for 1188 yards, 13 TD's, and 5 INT's.

When Belfry won the state title in 03 and 04:
2003 QB Paul Howard was 44/82 for 863 yards, 10 TD, 2 INT's
2004 QB Adam Warren was 30/50 for 722 yards, 9 TD's, 2 INT's

This proves you don't have to pass the ball all over the field to be able to win the state title with a dominant rushing team, but the stat that jumps out aout Belfry's QB's is that they always complete over 50% of their passes and have very few INT's despite a very high ratio of TD's in comparison with passes thrown.
Very good research......And while I am going through a kinda "football culture shock" I can see how a good running game can be more consistent than a passing game, but I just think that there has to be a threat of a passing game to keep the defense honest. Belfry has had a consistent passing threat to take some of the pressure off the running game.....Completing over 50% of the passes and not throwing INT's is very important if a team runs the ball as much as Belfry and Green.