Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State finals may be moved to Bowling Green next year.
According to today's Herald-Leader, the state football finals will probably be moved to Bowing Green in 2009. What is your reaction? The paper said that Louisville did not bid on the 2009 or 2010 finals because of a possible schedule conflict with U of L football. WKU would be the host stadium and it seats about 23,000.
That would suck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yea That Would Be A Let Down To The Players That Make It Next Year
you know they moved the girls Sweet 16 to Bowling Green and they complain about low attendance so now they want to move the state football finals there. In case the KHSAA has forgotten the eastern kentucky fans a large part as to why the boys Sweet 16 and state football finals are successful. With the price of gas, I don't see many folks from the mountains making that trip out west. Maybe they should move all the state championships to western Ky.:rockon:
bucslover68 Wrote:According to today's Herald-Leader, the state football finals will probably be moved to Bowing Green in 2009. What is your reaction? The paper said that Louisville did not bid on the 2009 or 2010 finals because of a possible schedule conflict with U of L football. WKU would be the host stadium and it seats about 23,000.
This would be a bad move in my opinion. A more "Central" location would make it fair for all fans and teams........Lexington, Richmond, or some place like that would make more sense to me. A stadium that is smaller would be full of rowdy fans would make for a better atmosphere, so I would lean more to Richmond.....
Twitter: @tc_analytics

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:This would be a bad move in my opinion. A more "Central" location would make it fair for all fans and teams........Lexington, Richmond, or some place like that would make more sense to me. A stadium that is smaller and would be more full of rowdy fans would make for a better atmosphere, so I would lean more to Richmond.....

I totally agree Brahma. The only chink in that plan is the 6a game attendance gets a little crazy sometimes and you have to have a place big enough for everyone.
Richmond is out, IMO, because they have natural grass. With that same thinking, UK is also out because they don't want their field torn up either.

I think WKU has turf (correct me if I'm wrong) so it's much easier on the field.

But this sucks for the Eastern KY teams. It's really not bad for the Louisville, Lexington, Somerset, etc. teams, but if Belfry were to make it again and drive to Bowling Green it would take 4 hours and 50 minutes (per MapQuest) and that's if they don't stop for gas, bathroom breaks, food, etc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I agree Richmond would be perfect. or split the playoffs up and have three classes play in ricmond and three classes at Commonwealth.
bac2369 Wrote:I agree Richmond would be perfect. or split the playoffs up and have three classes play in ricmond and three classes at Commonwealth.

EKU or UK will not hold the state championships. UK won't simply because they held the band thing there a few years ago and the bands tore the field up and UK wasn't to happy about that.

WKU will more than likely be were its held at. They have a new nice stadium and the town is big enough to accommodate all the visitors.
bowling green is straight south of louisville,its 5hrs from belfry there and 5 hrs from belfry to louisville,so its the same just not the same for the players it would be a let down..
I saw the WKY stadium just two weeks ago (college visit for my daughter)...

Take my word for it... The stadium is very, VERY nice. The facility and city is NO problem. The only thing that would make it better is if the EKU had something just like it (due to the drive).

It's about 1 1/2 hr. further drive to Bowling Green from Prestonsburg, Paintsville, and Pikeville than it is to PJS.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:This would be a bad move in my opinion. A more "Central" location would make it fair for all fans and teams........Lexington, Richmond, or some place like that would make more sense to me. A stadium that is smaller would be full of rowdy fans would make for a better atmosphere, so I would lean more to Richmond.....
I totally agree!
The drive should be no more than 30-45 minutes longer, no matter where you're coming from. Once you get to Lexington its 1hr to Lousiville and 1hr to the end of the BGP. After you get off the BGP its about 30-45 min depending on how fast you drive to get to BG.

If you move it to Richmond you really screw over people from the Western part of the state who would have to drive 6-8hours to get to Richmond. BG is really not in Western Kentucky.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Richmond is out, IMO, because they have natural grass. With that same thinking, UK is also out because they don't want their field torn up either.

I think WKU has turf (correct me if I'm wrong) so it's much easier on the field.

But this sucks for the Eastern KY teams. It's really not bad for the Louisville, Lexington, Somerset, etc. teams, but if Belfry were to make it again and drive to Bowling Green it would take 4 hours and 50 minutes (per MapQuest) and that's if they don't stop for gas, bathroom breaks, food, etc.

Well it does suck.. But from Louisa to Glasgow Ky it took me 5 hours to drive and then from Glasgow to BG its another 30 mins and then you add about another 30 mins for the Belfry fans... So thats about 6 or 7 hours on the road to say..... Oh and i have went different ways to BG and its all about 5 plus hours from here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
[quote=TheBrahmaBull]This would be a bad move in my opinion. A more "Central" location would make it fair for all fans and teams........Lexington, Richmond, or some place like that would make more sense to me. A stadium that is smaller would be full of rowdy fans would make for a better atmosphere, so I would lean more to Richmond.....[/QUOTE

I agree!!!!!
I think it is a good move. The State finals was held at WKU back in 1975. Then moved to Commonwealth in 1976, then to EKU in 1977&1978, then has been held in Louisville since 1979.
Houchens Industries is a big supporter of the KHSAA and has pumped alot of money into the Girls Sweet Sixteen. Houchens Industries has been the title sponsor of the Girls Tournament since 2003 and signed a extension to hold it at WKU until 2011.
WKU stadium with 22,000 seats (maybe not chair back like Papa Johns) is big enought to hold it. The only thing i might see could be a issue is the 6A game if Trinity and Saint X get there.

L.T. Smith Stadium at Jimmy Feix Field is a 22,000 -seat multi-purpose stadium in Bowling Green, Kentucky. It is home to the Western Kentucky University Hilltoppers football team. The facility is currently being expanded which will bring the seating capacity up to 22,000 in preparation for the Hilltoppers' impending move to the highest level of NCAA football competition, Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-A). This move will be complete in 2009.
When the stadium was originally built in 1968 it originally seated 19,250 fans. A 1989 renovation reduced the seating capacity to 17,500 seats. Lights were installed in 1987 and the current Astroplay playing surface was installed in 2002.
On July 19, 2007, WKU reported that Houchens Industries, a long-time corporate supporter of WKU, made a $5 million commitment to enhance an expansion and renovation project for the school’s football stadium. In honor of the gift, WKU added Houchens Industries to the name of L. T. Smith Stadium. Today, the stadium is now titled as Houchens Industries-L. T. Smith Stadium.

[Image: https://admin.xosn.com/fls/5400/site_gra...EM_ID=5400]
that sucks
IMO, since we had the 3A state championship in Central's back yard last year, the 3A state championship should be held at Belfry this year Tongue I'd settle for Pikeville or SVHS though Tongue

Seriously though, it would be VERY nice to have a more central location (even Louisville's too far west IMO), however, as long as KHSAA depends on an outside source for the hosting of the championship game, we are going to be at a disadvantage. Would it be possible for a Lexington or Louisville (or similar) HS field to host the games? I realize the 6A game gets packed, but they play the regular season at one of their own fields...
Sarrr Wrote:IMO, since we had the 3A state championship in Central's back yard last year, the 3A state championship should be held at Belfry this year Tongue I'd settle for Pikeville or SVHS though Tongue

Seriously though, it would be VERY nice to have a more central location (even Louisville's too far west IMO), however, as long as KHSAA depends on an outside source for the hosting of the championship game, we are going to be at a disadvantage. Would it be possible for a Lexington or Louisville (or similar) HS field to host the games? I realize the 6A game gets packed, but they play the regular season at one of their own fields...

Both teams gotta get to the state finals first.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:This would be a bad move in my opinion. A more "Central" location would make it fair for all fans and teams........Lexington, Richmond, or some place like that would make more sense to me. A stadium that is smaller would be full of rowdy fans would make for a better atmosphere, so I would lean more to Richmond.....

With all due respect, if you take away your EKY viewpoint you just amde the arguement as to why it SHOULD be in Bowling Green.

Technically Bowling Green is a more Central location than Louisville when you consider fans from Paducah/Mayfield. Additionally, you get a smaller venue in a more intimate setting, but you still don't lose out on the ammenities the stadium has to offer.

It does suck for EKY fans, but anytime a mountain school makes it to the Finals, they could be playing on the banks of the Mississippi and the entire community would still come.
Bowling Green is not central. When you consider most of the teams playing come from East of Lexington. It is not a good decsions by KHSAA but they really don't have alot of choices.

I think spliting up the games maybe the best choice. 1/2 at EKU and 1/2 at UK or even G'town.
That suck, way don't they move it to EKU. WKY get the girls Sweet-16, UK get the boys Sweet-16, EKU get the ALL-A. Way don't they movie it to UK. It will be in the middle of the state. It take me 4 to 5 hours to get to WKY. The only way i go to it out there, is if Hazard make it.
Ahh, i hate this.

Everyones shooting for PAPA JOHNS CARDINAL STADIUM in the biggest city in Kentucky with a FORMERLY good football program. lol

If this happens, they'll be shooting for WKU in Bowling Green...... Sad

IMO Commonwealth Stadium would be perfectly fine.
Idk why they don't do it there anyway
If...Then Wrote:Ahh, i hate this.

Everyones shooting for PAPA JOHNS CARDINAL STADIUM in the biggest city in Kentucky with a FORMERLY good football program. lol

If this happens, they'll be shooting for WKU in Bowling Green...... Sad

IMO Commonwealth Stadium would be perfectly fine.
Idk why they don't do it there anyway

Guys, I'm not b.s.'ing you all when I say that UK will not hold the game there. Neither will EKU. Everyone keeps saying they should move it to UK or EKU, BUT IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!! - Read the posts above before posting "why don't they have it at UK?" again.

It's not a matter of "we don't want to" but it's because their fields (UK and EKU) are natural grass that gets easily torn up.

The grounds crews have a hard enough time getting the field ready after each game, and if you were to have a high school game there the night before, the field would be a mess for the UK game the next day.

If they could try to work it around UK's schedule then it would be fine, but as it stands, UK does not want a bunch of high schoolers messing up their field during the season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HORRIBLE idea.
Kentucky Horse Park.. Put the field inside the horse racing grounds and play BALL. Youcould even runa couple of races to spice the game up.. OH and dont run out of bounds !!!!!!.. hes at the 40, the 30, 20 he is off to the races..... Some jockey just rode him down at the 2...!!!!!
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
I think WKU is fine. I know for you Eastern Kentucky folks i know it will be a ride, but if it's at EKU think about the Western Kentucky folks having to drive all the way over there. But for me living in Central KY I can get anywhere about the same amount of time
bucslover68 Wrote:According to today's Herald-Leader, the state football finals will probably be moved to Bowing Green in 2009. What is your reaction? The paper said that Louisville did not bid on the 2009 or 2010 finals because of a possible schedule conflict with U of L football. WKU would be the host stadium and it seats about 23,000.

That is aweful! If any other place has to be used, it should be Commonwealth Stadium, or why not go back to old Cardinal Stadium. Breaking tradition is not a good thing!
Yeah they need to keep it a Cardinal Stadium.
keep it where it is. cant do it at kentucky casue they cry when u tare one blade of grass out of their field. if its conflicting with louisvilles schedule why cant they change the dates of the state championship games like they did this year!?!?