Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Officiating Question (Rule)?
Can a high school team break the huddle with 12 or 13 men as long as they leave the field before the snap ? I think not, but was told that rule was only a "college rule" ! Seems to me that you could send 20 out to the huddle then as long as that got back to the sideline before the snap !
No they cannot do that, and it seems that Bath Co did this several times friday night and the officials said that it was allowed...but in the rules it clearly states that you cannot break the huddle with 12 or 13 men.
canoeman06 Wrote:Can a high school team break the huddle with 12 or 13 men as long as they leave the field before the snap ? I think not, but was told that rule was only a "college rule" ! Seems to me that you could send 20 out to the huddle then as long as that got back to the sideline before the snap !

NO!
I noticed this happen Friday night against Bath County. They had 12 break the huddle and ended up scoring on that play.
That is one of the "big rules" that are being watched. That, and the chin strap thing.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
If you can have more in the huddle than playing on the field. Then why can't the whole team huddle?
my point exactly !
How about when your in the no huddle and your trying to sub skill players in and out? How does this work because you would be having more kids on the playing field then allowed?
You cannot have any type of extra men in the huddle for deception. If a player comes into the lineup one must come out and be off the playing field. You can,however, run a player off the field and put a player in the game on the sideline as long as they are 3-4 yards, i believe, on the field. Some coaches use this as a trick type of play.
bucslover68 Wrote:You cannot have any type of extra men in the huddle for deception. If a player comes into the lineup one must come out and be off the playing field. You can,however, run a player off the field and put a player in the game on the sideline as long as they are 3-4 yards, i believe, on the field. Some coaches use this as a trick type of play.

The bolded area is false. Teams will do this because officials will very rarely make the penalty call. Any player entering the game must atleast reach the numbers that run along each sideline to be officially checked into the game. They can then retreat back towards their own sideline, but they must reach the numbers first.
Welcome to BlueGrassRivals

If you ever have any questions, problems, or comments, contact me at [email=tomcat6868@gmail.com]tomcat6868@gmail.com[/email] or via PM by clicking here [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/finalnewbanner3.png]
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I noticed this happen Friday night against Bath County. They had 12 break the huddle and ended up scoring on that play.

This also happened in the Johnson Central and Bryan Station game. I saw Bryan Station do this twice but nothing was called.
Can someone find the rule about this? It should have it via KHSAA....Correct?
i have seen several teams do this even our team (green county), but i think as long as the they are off the field before the snap they are easy on calling this.
From what I understand, they have to be inside the numbers and be 10 yards from the huddle. You can not stay on the sidelines any longer..... I have had this done to us this year in a middle school game... Lawrence Co, 6th grade runs this play.... Another is line up in the A11 offense and send everyone out.. It is okay until you throw the ball then they are all down field... Lawrence County also runs this at HOME ONLY.... I argued the call and the refs just look at me and say They went out for a pass coach... YEA but ALL OF THEM CAN NOT GO OUT FOR A PASS!!!!!
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
stone331 Wrote:i have seen several teams do this even our team (green county), but i think as long as the they are off the field before the snap they are easy on calling this.

My point is : if they let 12 or 13 break the huddle why not 30 ? What's the difference if it's not being called ?
A team doesn't have much time to set the defense. When they break the huddle they make an audible defensive call sometimes. So, when an opposing team fakes a set up then its being deceptive by making a defensive player follow him to the sideline.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
canoeman06 Wrote:My point is : if they let 12 or 13 break the huddle why not 30 ? What's the difference if it's not being called ?

Yeah, I understand, it has happened in a few of our games! I know that your not allowed to but it happens. The high school officials are not the best in the world if you know what I mean.