Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hazard's Josh Whitaker to Louisville?
I have heard Pitino has contacted Whitaker. Can he play at that level? Congrats to Josh just for the phone call if nothing else. Good luck.
Survivor Wrote:I have heard Pitino has contacted Whitaker. Can he play at that level? Congrats to Josh just for the phone call if nothing else. Good luck.
Congrats to him but I just dont see it, I hope he would go to UK before Lville though.
Guys this is a 5'9" pg that is an average high school player. Lets not make up these rumors, he has a shot to play at the NAIA level which is no shame, how many 5'9 pg to you see at UL or UK?
It was reported by WYMT.
I have also heard that Pitino is interested in Josh.
I don't think that Whitaker is a scholarship player for any D-1 school mostly because of the level of talent that he plays against here in the mountains. If he could consistently put up the numbers that he does against teams out of the 7th & 11th regions like he does in the 14th region then I believe he could be offered a scholarship by alot of D-1 schools, but I can see Josh walking-on at UK or Louisville.
I don't see him as a D-1 prospect, but he could possibly make the team at Morehead or Eastern. I'm not sure how much playing time he would get though. Actually, he would have a hard time making the lineup at Georgetown College imo. I wish the young man all the luck in the world, but I'm giving an honest assessment. He is more in line with what Alice Lloyd or Lincoln Memorial would be looking for. I don't know what angle Pinino is playing with this one, but he has his reasons I suppose.
He'd make a great Pg for ALC.
How was it stated rumor, source, or other means? Josh's was received phone call from Louisville. Who can verify that?
News organizations are meant to be fact finders, not rumor mills.
Well all I can say is If he makes it, great, if not, whatever.
So thought provoking?
I dont see him having a chance at even walking on at a D-1 school. He plays to soft and inconsistant. I watched him in the state tournament and he did have some good play to him. But then over the summer, he was like a different ball player when someone fast was guarding him.
Josh is a good player at the 1aa level.
I could care less either way but here is my opinion.

Just because a basketball player isnt 6'7" sticking his arm in the rim and athletic doesnt have anything to do with potential at the college level. Can he handle the ball against pressure, find the open man, and run a team because thats what he is going to be asked to do? Not make Sportscenter like dunks. I'm not sure but I do know I've seen the kid play and he is hard nosed and handles the ball like its on a string. If you looked at some of the players that UK has had in the past from the mountains, I'm sure you would be saying the same thing about them and I'm talking about the ones who have went on to be major contributors for the Cats. He may be skinny and white but the kid can play. D1? Maybe, maybe not but he'll play college ball somewhere I'll guarantee that.
bballfan96 Wrote:I could care less either way but here is my opinion.

Just because a basketball player isnt 6'7" sticking his arm in the rim and athletic doesnt have anything to do with potential at the college level. Can he handle the ball against pressure, find the open man, and run a team because thats what he is going to be asked to do? Not make Sportscenter like dunks. I'm not sure but I do know I've seen the kid play and he is hard nosed and handles the ball like its on a string. If you looked at some of the players that UK has had in the past from the mountains, I'm sure you would be saying the same thing about them and I'm talking about the ones who have went on to be major contributors for the Cats. He may be skinny and white but the kid can play. D1? Maybe, maybe not but he'll play college ball somewhere I'll guarantee that.
Yea He will play somewhere! :redboxer:
TheMasterpiece Wrote:Guys this is a 5'9" pg that is an average high school player. Lets not make up these rumors, he has a shot to play at the NAIA level which is no shame, how many 5'9 pg to you see at UL or UK?

Travis Ford...
Josh Whitaker was contacted by Pitino. Never did our station say he was offered a scholarship only that Pitino was going to watch him play in Cincinnati and that he was interested in him. Stuart Miller from Middlesboro went there so why can't Whitaker? Why can't Brandon Stockton go to UK? Should he go to UofL? Probably not, but it is still an honor to be contacted by one of the top coaches in the basketball world.
Brian, keep on doing a good job with sports in the mountains!

How many people would have thought that Travis Ford, Camoron Mills, Ritchie Farmer, etc. could have been good players for the Cats?
What an honor to be contacted by a D-1 school. To bad it was U of L though, lol. UK would be so much better.
bballfan96 Wrote:Brian, keep on doing a good job with sports in the mountains!

How many people would have thought that Travis Ford, Camoron Mills, Ritchie Farmer, etc. could have been good players for the Cats?
UK was on probation .
RavenBoy Wrote:UK was on probation .

What does probation have to do with the way Farmer, Mills and Ford played in college??
Please don't compare Whitaker to Ford or Farmer. Ford was MVP of SEC tourney I think and Farmer's jersey hangs from Rupp.
According to people(coaches) at Hazard, this started out as a conversation between two people, was overheard by a third party who snowballed it for amusement. Small town rumor mill at it's best.
Uk was on probation during Farmers early seasons but Ford and Mills played when they were not on probation.
fan first Wrote:Please don't compare Whitaker to Ford or Farmer. Ford was MVP of SEC tourney I think and Farmer's jersey hangs from Rupp.
According to people(coaches) at Hazard, this started out as a conversation between two people, was overheard by a third party who snowballed it for amusement. Small town rumor mill at it's best.

It's not a rumor when it comes straight from the family!!!! I do believe the family consists of mom and dad and I would call that pretty solid info...especially when dad is a coach. How does this get labeled as a rumor when it comes from the parents?
Brian Milam Wrote:It's not a rumor when it comes straight from the family!!!! I do believe the family consists of mom and dad and I would call that pretty solid info...especially when dad is a coach. How does this get labeled as a rumor when it comes from the parents?

Then wouldn't you be a third party person discussing this "rumor"?
Benchwarmer Wrote:Then wouldn't you be a third party person discussing this "rumor"?

:Thumbs: Right on Benchwarmer!
Good Point!
Brian Milam Wrote:It's not a rumor when it comes straight from the family!!!! I do believe the family consists of mom and dad and I would call that pretty solid info...especially when dad is a coach. How does this get labeled as a rumor when it comes from the parents?

How about Jim, Gary, and Joe Stepp. Did you believe everything they said about Clark? They started the rumor that Clark was first going to Duke, then Miss St, Ohio St, Vanderbilt and many more and none were true, it was all just propaganda. Sometimes coaches and parents will start these types of rumors just to get the smaller schools interested in their kids. I'm not saying this was the case with Whitaker, but iI know it happens. I wish Whitaker the best, but honestly I think we all know he's probably not going to play at a major D1 school. Sad, but sometimes family will lie also Mr. Milam!!!
Survivor Wrote:How about Jim, Gary, and Joe Stepp. Did you believe everything they said about Clark? They started the rumor that Clark was first going to Duke, then Miss St, Ohio St, Vanderbilt and many more and none were true, it was all just propaganda. Sometimes coaches and parents will start these types of rumors just to get the smaller schools interested in their kids. I'm not saying this was the case with Whitaker, but iI know it happens. I wish Whitaker the best, but honestly I think we all know he's probably not going to play at a major D1 school. Sad, but sometimes family will lie also Mr. Milam!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!