Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are you a Republican or a Democrat?
I was wandering why people chose the party that they are. And no arguing about differences this is just to say loud and proud and with some educated reasons why you chose the party that you chose.

I'll start.

I'm a Republican because I believe in a more limited government involvement. I also a pro-gun, life, death penalty. I am for lower taxes and higher trade. I think that the core values of that party are very closely associated with my own.
I am a registered Democrat, but not because I agree with a majority of the values held by the party in general. In fact, I agree with a portion of what each major party believes on certain issues, maybe even leaning slightly to the Republican side. My views are in line with each party when they support individual rights and personal freedoms, which actually make me most suited for the Libertarian party.

However, since I live in Pike County, a good number of the local races have only Democrats running, and thus are decided in the May primary. So, I have registered as a Democrat in order to have a say in these particular races. If there are Republicans running, I am still free to vote for them in November, if they happen to be the better candidate.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i can't vote but my chosen part is the democrate party because i'm pro choice,gay,among other things and no matter what anybody says i wasn't raised to "hate" republicans i don't like many but i don't hate them....
I am a republican because I am pro life (except in cases of rape/to save the life of the mother/incest), pro gun, pro war, & pro death penalty. I am also against all these civil right movments giving aid to minorities espically in college students. People can get a scholarship easier if they are a minority than if they are an over qualified white person. I am against gay rights and illegal immagrants. I also feel like low taxes and higher trade are the backbone of a strong economy.
Super-Card Wrote:I am a republican because I am pro life (except in cases of rape/to save the life of the mother/incest), pro gun, pro war, & pro death penalty. I am also against all these civil right movments giving aid to minorities espically in college students. People can get a scholarship easier if they are a minority than if they are an over qualified white person. I am against gay rights and illegal immagrants. I also feel like low taxes and higher trade are the backbone of a strong economy.
Don't think I could have said it better. Especially the part about college students! But that also now spreads over to the workforce. :mad:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Beef Wrote:Don't think I could have said it better. Especially the part about college students! But that also now spreads over to the workforce. :mad:
Took my post right out of my mouth!!!!!!lol
Beef Wrote:Don't think I could have said it better. Especially the part about college students! But that also now spreads over to the workforce. :mad:
I didn't even think of the workforce, but it is just as present there, if not more so. I get steamed just thinking about it.
Rep- against Gays and Abortion.
Super-Card Wrote:I am a republican because I am pro life (except in cases of rape/to save the life of the mother/incest), pro gun, pro war, & pro death penalty. I am also against all these civil right movments giving aid to minorities espically in college students. People can get a scholarship easier if they are a minority than if they are an over qualified white person. I am against gay rights and illegal immagrants. I also feel like low taxes and higher trade are the backbone of a strong economy.

This argument is flawed in so many ways. When people dont understand something, they tend to think negatively about it, this is what happens with affirmative action. This whole white entitlement crap, and reverse discrimination is blown way out of proportion, and it's mostly people on the right who feel this way.

Whites are the majority at most universities, besides the few historically black colleges like grambling and the rest of the SWAC, MEAC and others. It's easy to blame others when the "white" person may be inadequate in some areas that the minority is strong in. People just like to take the easy way out and scapegoat people.

Here is a couple good articles that disprove this "myth".

A republican student group at Boston University is offering a $250 scholarship to white students only. I feel this is racist and makes the people bashing affirmative action seem like huge hypocrites.

http://media.www.theticker.org/media/sto...0225.shtml

http://media.www.iowastatedaily.com/medi...9127.shtml

BTW, im a Democrat becuase I agree with most of their social justice issues, Im a huge environmentalist (The GOP seems to hate the environment).

I do agree with some GOP issues like gay marriage, and abortion, but thats about it. I absolutely hate the GOPs recent foreign policy, and I've really gotten to like Obama's stance, which makes my alliance with the democrat party stronger.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:This argument is flawed in so many ways. When people dont understand something, they tend to think negatively about it, this is what happens with affirmative action. This whole white entitlement crap, and reverse discrimination is blown way out of proportion, and it's mostly people on the right who feel this way.

Whites are the majority at most universities, besides the few historically black colleges like grambling and the rest of the SWAC, MEAC and others. It's easy to blame others when the "white" person may be inadequate in some areas that the minority is strong in. People just like to take the easy way out and scapegoat people.

Here is a couple good articles that disprove this "myth".

A republican student group at Boston University is offering a $250 scholarship to white students only. I feel this is racist and makes the people bashing affirmative action seem like huge hypocrites.

http://media.www.theticker.org/media/sto...0225.shtml

http://media.www.iowastatedaily.com/medi...9127.shtml

BTW, im a Democrat becuase I agree with most of their social justice issues, Im a huge environmentalist (The GOP seems to hate the environment).

I do agree with some GOP issues like gay marriage, and abortion, but thats about it. I absolutely hate the GOPs recent foreign policy, and I've really gotten to like Obama's stance, which makes my alliance with the democrat party stronger.

You need to check your sources there pal. Both of these sources are in the Opinion section so that means they are just one (or in this case 2) democrats view. They show no statistical reports to back your claims.

This thread is about posting your opinions so don't get on here and bash me about mine since I am not doing the same to yours. You could let the writers of this trash you put on here know about Bluegrassrivals so they can post their opinions, since that is what they are doing anyway.
Democrat and I'm not so sure anymore.............
Smile
DevilsWin Wrote:Democrat and I'm not so sure anymore.............
Super-Card Wrote:You need to check your sources there pal. Both of these sources are in the Opinion section so that means they are just one (or in this case 2) democrats view. They show no statistical reports to back your claims.

This thread is about posting your opinions so don't get on here and bash me about mine since I am not doing the same to yours. You could let the writers of this trash you put on here know about Bluegrassrivals so they can post their opinions, since that is what they are doing anyway.

You never provided anything to prove youre opinion, so how can you bash me? I was just providing another look at this issue.

Also, I never stated that they weren't in the "opinion" section, but they do provide stats to show that affirmative action isn't as bad as "white males" make it seem. Im sure that in some instances it has been used unfairly, but what hasnt? I believe that overall it's not hurt the white man as much as you would like to think, if you're qualified to get into school, you will get accepted. Im a poor, white mountain boy, and I had no trouble getting into school, I was accepted to every college I applied to.

Here is a poll that shows that the majority of people who oppose it are white males, which make up 90% of the republican party, so I can see why they're upset, in their mind everything must help the white man. This is also why I think affirmative action is such a partisan issue, when it shouldn't be.

http://people-press.org/reports/display....portID=184

P.S.

I never should have started this debate anyway, after reading launchpads original post I saw that he didn't want any arguing. But I couldn't stand by and read as people agreed with a stance that is very flawed.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:You never provided anything to prove youre opinion, so how can you bash me? I was just providing another look at this issue.

Also, I never stated that they weren't in the "opinion" section, but they do provide stats to show that affirmative action isn't as bad as "white males" make it seem. Im sure that in some instances it has been used unfairly, but what hasnt? I believe that overall it's not hurt the white man as much as you would like to think, if you're qualified to get into school, you will get accepted. Im a poor, white mountain boy, and I had no trouble getting into school, I was accepted to every college I applied to.

Here is a poll that shows that the majority of people who oppose it are white males, which make up 90% of the republican party, so I can see why they're upset, in their mind everything must help the white man. This is also why I think affirmative action is such a partisan issue, when it shouldn't be.

http://people-press.org/reports/display....portID=184

P.S.

I never should have started this debate anyway, after reading launchpads original post I saw that he didn't want any arguing. But I couldn't stand by and read as people agreed with a stance that is very flawed.

So what is your view, not arguing just your view of aid such as welfare and other programs like that. I too grew up in the mountains and I came away with a very negative view to hand-outs like these as many people aspire only to get a check or food-stamps. It is said and I believe that in SOME cases welfare should be better regulated for the needy not the lazy.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Smile
:p
There are good and bad things about both parties. I think the Democrats have a little better stance on the economy because they look out for the "little man". Republicans, for the most part, are conservative and don't give out as many handouts. They are for lower taxes and higher trade. That's not wrong either and can produce an even better economy, but it doesn't help the poor as much. However, we are living in a country where the majority of the poor live in their own house, own at least 1 car and a television. Also, a great majority of the poor are overweight, so they eat pretty dang good. I realize a large number of people live on the streets in major cities, but they are only a small percentage of the poor in America, and I am all for helping them out. I have, in my spare time, when provided the opportunity, gone to Louisville and given extra food and clothing to the homeless. However, I have also seen the poor of this world in foreign countries - those who have nothing, the starving, and those who have flies all around them. That's a totally different situation than we see in America.

I am a registered Republican however, because I am against abortion and stem cell research - or anything that destroys human life. Also, much like launchpad, I am pro gun and death penalty. And while I enjoy having some extra cash in my pocket, I'd rather do what's right than have it there.
BaseballMan Wrote:I am a registered Republican however, because I am against abortion and stem cell research - or anything that destroys human life. Also, much like launchpad, I am pro gun and death penalty. And while I enjoy having some extra cash in my pocket, I'd rather do what's right than have it there.

You just said you were against anything that destroys human life...then in the very next sentence you said you were pro-death penalty :confused:

Anyways, I am a registered Democrat but don't care about party lines. I will vote based on the candidates, not their party.

I am for a smaller government, against abortion, against the death penalty, pro-adult stem cell research, against embryonic stem cell research, and have no problem with gay marriage.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
launchpad4 Wrote:So what is your view, not arguing just your view of aid such as welfare and other programs like that. I too grew up in the mountains and I came away with a very negative view to hand-outs like these as many people aspire only to get a check or food-stamps. It is said and I believe that in SOME cases welfare should be better regulated for the needy not the lazy.

How did you get that I was talking about welfare or food stamps? This conversation was about college scholarships. I was making my point that if you're qualified to get into school, you will get in, and scholarships are there to help, IF YOU QUALIFY, being WHITE will not keep you from getting scholarships. Theres a lot of money that goes unused each year, if people would just quit complaining, make good grades, and research for scholarships things would be fine. Now that you mentioned federal aid, many people from the mountains are eligible for finical aid, like I was, that helped with a lot of my college expenses.

Welfare

I believe that the federal aid programs do have a lot of negatives, and that there should be more strict qualifications and guidelines for someone to get and keep receiving such aid programs. However I spent a lot of my younger days with my grandparents, who received food stamps and other federal aid, my grandfather was injured in a mining accident in the 60's that killed his father, and my grandmother was severely injured in a car crash, if not for federal aid programs they would have a very hard time getting by.

All government aid programs are not as horrible as some people think.
ComfortEagle Wrote:You just said you were against anything that destroys human life...then in the very next sentence you said you were pro-death penalty :confused:

Anyways, I am a registered Democrat but don't care about party lines. I will vote based on the candidates, not their party.

I am for a smaller government, against abortion, against the death penalty, pro-adult stem cell research, against embryonic stem cell research, and have no problem with gay marriage.

You're right, and I did not contradict myself. Maybe I should have inserted the word "innocent" in front of anything that destroys innocent human life, such as abortion or stem cell research.

The death penalty is a very biblical belief. In the book of Romans, Paul talks about how the governing authorities only should have the right to take the life of a criminal. He means that government should be responsible for justly taking the life of a criminal in punishment to their crime, and not a single human to take it in revenge. I believe that cold-blooded and pre-meditated murder is punishable by governmental controlled death. I don't believe that an unwanted pregnancy either by choice or not, or the research of a fetus is punishable by death.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:I was making my point that if you're qualified to get into school, you will get in, and scholarships are there to help, IF YOU QUALIFY, being WHITE will not keep you from getting scholarships. Theres a lot of money that goes unused each year, if people would just quit complaining, make good grades, and research for scholarships things would be fine. Now that you mentioned federal aid, many people from the mountains are eligible for finical aid, like I was, that helped with a lot of my college expenses.

Welfare

I believe that the federal aid programs do have a lot of negatives, and that there should be more strict qualifications and guidelines for someone to get and keep receiving such aid programs. However I spent a lot of my younger days with my grandparents, who received food stamps and other federal aid, my grandfather was injured in a mining accident in the 60's that killed his father, and my grandmother was severely injured in a car crash, if not for federal aid programs they would have a very hard time getting by.

All government aid programs are not as horrible as some people think.

I couldn't agree more!
ComfortEagle Wrote:{I} have no problem with gay marriage.

I have no problem with people who are gay. I do have a problem with the institution of marriage being distorted to other than what God intended for it to be. While I will still respect and treat with love the homosexual, I will still inform them of their wrongdoing. I will still explain how their sin is an abomination to God, just as the sins I have committed in my life are. I am no better than any sinner, while I am one as well, but I do believe in giving the truth to people - whether they like it or not. Jesus commanded us to repent from our sins, and we would be saved. While it is difficult to live a life of faith as a follower of Christ, it is what He calls christians to do. That is why I am against the institution of gay marriage as well as other issues. I have no problem with people for we are all sinners, but the least I can do is stand up for the truth of God.
BaseballMan Wrote:I have no problem with people who are gay. I do have a problem with the institution of marriage being distorted to other than what God intended for it to be. While I will still respect and treat with love the homosexual, I will still inform them of their wrongdoing. I will still explain how their sin is an abomination to God, just as the sins I have committed in my life are. I am no better than any sinner, while I am one as well, but I do believe in giving the truth to people - whether they like it or not. Jesus commanded us to repent from our sins, and we would be saved. While it is difficult to live a life of faith as a follower of Christ, it is what He calls christians to do. That is why I am against the institution of gay marriage as well as other issues. I have no problem with people for we are all sinners, but the least I can do is stand up for the truth of God.

That really explained how I feel on the issue.
BaseballMan Wrote:I have no problem with people who are gay. I do have a problem with the institution of marriage being distorted to other than what God intended for it to be. While I will still respect and treat with love the homosexual, I will still inform them of their wrongdoing. I will still explain how their sin is an abomination to God, just as the sins I have committed in my life are. I am no better than any sinner, while I am one as well, but I do believe in giving the truth to people - whether they like it or not. Jesus commanded us to repent from our sins, and we would be saved. While it is difficult to live a life of faith as a follower of Christ, it is what He calls christians to do. That is why I am against the institution of gay marriage as well as other issues. I have no problem with people for we are all sinners, but the least I can do is stand up for the truth of God.

But is it the government's job to determine who gets these rights? If this is a religious matter as you are making it out to be then the government shouldn't be involved anyways.

Don't give me the sanctity of marriage comment either. 50% of marriages end in divorce, so there is no sanctity of marriage anymore.

Why are we denying homosexuals the same rights that straight people can have? Call it marriage, call it a civil union, or whatever you want, but they deserve the same rights.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:But is it the government's job to determine who gets these rights? If this is a religious matter as you are making it out to be then the government shouldn't be involved anyways.

Don't give me the sanctity of marriage comment either. 50% of marriages end in divorce, so there is no sanctity of marriage anymore.

Why are we denying homosexuals the same rights that straight people can have? Call it marriage, call it a civil union, or whatever you want, but they deserve the same rights.

It is the governing authorities who determine the rights of the people. America's constitution is based on biblical principles, and there is no talking your way around that. Religious matters are always a part of the government. Separation of church and state only meant that no one religious denomination should be in control, but what you are trying to impose is separation of faith and reality, which is contradictory. America's governing authorities originally based the constitutional rights on biblical principles because they wanted religious freedoms, not freedom from religion. They did not want to be told what to believe. I am not telling anyone what to believe, but am stating the biblical truth about gay marriages. Therefore, I believe it to be wrong, and our country should not separate reality from faith.

If you want to go that route, I can also debate with you that our government should not punish murder, because thou shalt not murder is a religious commandment. I suppose the government should not be involved in those cases either. The fact is, it is wrong, and our government should not make it okay for it to happen no matter what we call it.

I can give you the sanctity of marriage comment as well. Although, at least, 50% of marriages end in divorce, there is also 50% that don't. You see, there are some people who still live in decency and commit to one another for a lifetime, and honor the sanctity of marriage. Just because a large number of people get divorced for miniscule reasons doesn't mean that marriage is no longer a holy communion either. That's the problem that you have. You use the excuse that just because things are bad, we may as well just tolerate it, instead of standing up for what is right. I bet you'd rather argue against the good though and find err in it though.
BaseballMan Wrote:It is the governing authorities who determine the rights of the people. America's constitution is based on biblical principles, and there is no talking your way around that. Religious matters are always a part of the government. Separation of church and state only meant that no one religious denomination should be in control, but what you are trying to impose is separation of faith and reality, which is contradictory. America's governing authorities originally based the constitutional rights on biblical principles because they wanted religious freedoms, not freedom from religion. They did not want to be told what to believe. I am not telling anyone what to believe, but am stating the biblical truth about gay marriages. Therefore, I believe it to be wrong, and our country should not separate reality from faith.

If you want to go that route, I can also debate with you that our government should not punish murder, because thou shalt not murder is a religious commandment. I suppose the government should not be involved in those cases either. The fact is, it is wrong, and our government should not make it okay for it to happen no matter what we call it.

I can give you the sanctity of marriage comment as well. Although, at least, 50% of marriages end in divorce, there is also 50% that don't. You see, there are some people who still live in decency and commit to one another for a lifetime, and honor the sanctity of marriage. Just because a large number of people get divorced for miniscule reasons doesn't mean that marriage is no longer a holy communion either. That's the problem that you have. You use the excuse that just because things are bad, we may as well just tolerate it, instead of standing up for what is right. I bet you'd rather argue against the good though and find err in it though.

It is your right to believe what you want, but it is not your right to impose your beliefs on others. We should not deny homosexual couples the right to receive the same benefits as married heterosexual couples just because some people think it's wrong. Yes, the Constitution includes some biblical principles, but not all things are strictly Christian and the Constitution also says there will be no establishment of religion, therefore we should not be forcing the Christian view of marriage upon everyone.

Gay marriage and murder are not the same thing and you cannot link the two together. Murder is a violation of a basic unalienable right to life, no matter what your religion. Gay marriage would be giving homosexual couples recognition as being joined and giving them the same rights as heterosexual couples.

You can also say that marriage is a holy communion for you, but it is not for all heterosexual couples that get married and you can't force upon them the belief that they must stay together because the Bible says so.

But I am done here. I feel like I am beginning to repeat myself and this thread has gone way off-topic. The topic of this thread is "Why are you a Democrat or Republican," let's get it back on track.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:It is your right to believe what you want, but it is not your right to impose your beliefs on others. We should not deny homosexual couples the right to receive the same benefits as married heterosexual couples just because some people think it's wrong. Yes, the Constitution includes some biblical principles, but not all things are strictly Christian and the Constitution also says there will be no establishment of religion, therefore we should not be forcing the Christian view of marriage upon everyone.

Gay marriage and murder are not the same thing and you cannot link the two together. Murder is a violation of a basic unalienable right to life, no matter what your religion. Gay marriage would be giving homosexual couples recognition as being joined and giving them the same rights as heterosexual couples.

You can also say that marriage is a holy communion for you, but it is not for all heterosexual couples that get married and you can't force upon them the belief that they must stay together because the Bible says so.

But I am done here. I feel like I am beginning to repeat myself and this thread has gone way off-topic. The topic of this thread is "Why are you a Democrat or Republican," let's get it back on track.

It is my right as a citizen of the United States of America to stand up for and vote for things I believe to be right. That is my right, and the right of every American. I am sure marijuana users don't like the rules being imposed on them either, and wish for it to be legal; however, for the good of our country we as citizens voted to have it be illegal and users punished. We have now voted in Kentucky that we do not want to recognize gay marriages. The majority voted and won by a landslide. We all impose our beliefs by a voting system, whether it be liberal beliefs or conservative beliefs. So, it is my right as a citizen of the USA to stand up for what I believe in and to vote for those rights. It is a right of the people to stand up for what they believe in. If a few do not agree with that, then they do have the right to leave or to live by the rule established. If it is voted on by the majority that our country will recognize gay marriage, then I can leave or live with it. However, I will still stand up for my beliefs no matter whether it agrees with yours or not. That is the beauty of America.

Both are acts that God has instructed us about in the Bible. So they are linked together. Murder is wrong because God first told us not to murder. Homosexuality is wrong because God said a man is not to lie with another man (nor a woman with a woman). I do not wish for homosexuals to be recognized as married in my country so I will vote against it every time. It is my right to stand against it. I believe it is wrong - naturally and religiously.

I don't force my belief on people to stay together. The Bible also gives good reason for a man or woman to separate from their spouse in case of physical abuse or non-believing. The Bible however warns us about not going into marriage so quickly, and not to be yoked together with unbelievers. It basically tells us to marry someone with similar values and morals. It tells us to have character, that things will be tough, but to stick it out. That makes us better people when we can stick by each other through thick and thin. I wish divorce was a much more difficult process so that people would take time to think before they entered such a union, and also make them more apt to work things out than just leave when things get hard. That's the problem with your view. It allows people to run away when things get hard instead of facing it head on and building character.

This is about why I am a republican. I believe they hold more to the values I have established. The party isn't perfect and neither are the democrats. Sometimes the democrats have the better candidate, and sometimes they don't. The fact is, by personal conviction, I lean more to the Republican side.
ComfortEagle Wrote:But is it the government's job to determine who gets these rights? If this is a religious matter as you are making it out to be then the government shouldn't be involved anyways.

Perhaps if more marraiges where based on biblical teachings and adhering to those principals then that wouldn't happen either. Gayness is an abomination in the sight of God. Twist it around anyway you like to fit your own agenda, it's just plain sin, nothing more, nothing less.
Homosexuals lack one of the basic rules of all living things, the ability to reproduce. Since they lack one of the most basic if not the most basic principal of living creatures it is not to difficult to see that they are not natural and therefore do not belong. I don't feel like homosexuals deserve the same rights as heterosexual couples. In my eyes and the eyes of nature they are less than human.
[quote=Super-Card]Homosexuals lack one of the basic rules of all living things, the ability to reproduce. Since they lack one of the most basic if not the most basic principal of living creatures it is not to difficult to see that they are not natural and therefore do not belong. I don't feel like homosexuals deserve the same rights as heterosexual couples. In my eyes and the eyes of nature they are less than human.[/QUOTE]

Less than human!!! Wow, I dont agree with homosexuality, I dont believe in gay marriage, but I would never say that. My faith teaches me that one sin is as great as any other, so applying your theory to that would mean that we are all less than human.
I'm a Republican because I believe in individual liberty, and self reliance. I am
pro life (no exceptions), pro second amendment, and support the abolition of the income tax.