Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gillispie explains recruiting style
Kentucky Coach Billy Gillispie respects that someone might object to offering an eighth-grader a scholarship, but he vowed to continue recruiting any prospect that might help UK win.
Although the chancellor of the University of Maryland system, Brit Kirwan, was quoted in USA Today last week as calling the recruitment of eighth-grade players "appalling," Gillispie suggested school presidents don't understand the changing nature of recruiting.
"If you're in recruiting, it's very, very competitive," Gillispie said at a news conference on Saturday. "You start earlier and earlier all the time because you're seeing guys earlier.
"It's a little bit different for us, maybe, than for university presidents."
When asked at a news conference on Saturday if he'd recruit, say, a 12-year-old, Gillispie said, "I'd never say never.

http://www.kentucky.com/232/story/401527.html

Wow man he is a worker and then coaches wonder why he can get the top kids to play for him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Its all about chances, He taking a chance on this 8th grader. If he turns out to be horrible, Billy G will look bad. If the player turns out to be an all-star, Billy G will be the smartest man in the world.
I personally think that Billy G. is doing a wonderful job. He is getting the players that will get us back to the good ole days of dominance that we are use to. I was just on catspause.com and I was looking at some of Tubby's old recruiting classes and they all were horrible besides the 2004 class. But I can actually say that I'm excited for basketball season again. I see a final four or maybe a championship within the next 3 years.
North Carolina already has two 8th graders signed also, but you dont hear anything about that now do you?
The more recruiting you do for the future, the less you have to worry about and thats what Gillispie is doing, preparing for the future and he is doing an outstanding job at it to. I love the uproar about how an 8th grader has already committed to UK, I mean it's not a big deal. Someone said on here that if the kid looks bad then G will be looked down on and if he is good then G will be the smartest man alive. You never know this kid might not amout out to nothing and will back out of his committment, then Gillispie wouldn't look so bad. Like I've said time and time again, the future looks very bright.