Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estill County, 56th District Champs
Estill Co beats Powell Co 12 to 1 in Powell Co tonight what a great game for the neers and soph Kyle Cowers who gave up only 2 hits and one run. go Estill keep up the great season your having.
Why does it say district champs? Isn't that tournament a couple of weeks off? Or do you mean they just got the #1 seed for the tournament?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Why does it say district champs? Isn't that tournament a couple of weeks off? Or do you mean they just got the #1 seed for the tournament?

I think he means that they are the #1 seeds.
bluegrassballa Wrote:I think he means that they are the #1 seeds.

Yea I figured that, but I don't see why a mod hasn't changed it yet. It's just a little wrong in the title of the thread. However, it could be a very good preminition. hahaBig Grin
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Why does it say district champs? Isn't that tournament a couple of weeks off? Or do you mean they just got the #1 seed for the tournament?

i believe that this means that they are the REGULAR SEASON champs...anyway great job Estill!!!
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Yea I figured that, but I don't see why a mod hasn't changed it yet. It's just a little wrong in the title of the thread. However, it could be a very good preminition. hahaBig Grin

Haha, yes it could be!
Congrats Estill
go big or go home Wrote:i believe that this means that they are the REGULAR SEASON champs...anyway great job Estill!!!

That is my point. They don't even call it a championship for the regular season, it's just for seeding. If it was some kind of championship you would think they would have some sort of reward for it. All the regular season district games are is for seeding purposes only. You don't become a champion until you win the tournament.
Jackrabbitslim I hope you sleep tonight knowing that there in no championship for regular season. Sorry you took that the wrong way.
basketballwizz Wrote:Jackrabbitslim I hope you sleep tonight knowing that there in no championship for regular season. Sorry you took that the wrong way.

Yea, I sleep just fine thanks for thinking about me and my sleeping habits.
If a team wins the regular season district, it is the regular season champion, and is subsequently awarded the #1 seed. Regular season champion: district tournament champion... not difficult concepts really.
Thanks Cavemaster there guys are real slow wonder were there from?HAHA
thecavemaster Wrote:If a team wins the regular season district, it is the regular season champion, and is subsequently awarded the #1 seed. Regular season champion: district tournament champion... not difficult concepts really.

I think we all understood that..... What they are saying is that there is not an actual award for the regular season champ because in all honesty it does not mean crap.....when you win the district tournament then you are a champion.

Like last year the best team in the 16th during the season was Boyd.... But Greenup is the 2007 16th region champ.
Well anyway.............. Estill takes care of business and comes out with the win. An excellent performance on the mound from sophmore Kyle Clowers, great defence, and last but not least, excellent day at the plate for Estill.
Bosox Fan Wrote:I think we all understood that..... What they are saying is that there is not an actual award for the regular season champ because in all honesty it does not mean crap.....when you win the district tournament then you are a champion.

Like last year the best team in the 16th during the season was Boyd.... But Greenup is the 2007 16th region champ.

So, when UK or Tennessee win the regular season SEC it doesn't mean "crap"? Win the regular season title...and somehow it doesn't count for anything? In all honesty, and with all due respect, you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about. Maybe you have an axe to grind?
thecavemaster Wrote:So, when UK or Tennessee win the regular season SEC it doesn't mean "crap"? Win the regular season title...and somehow it doesn't count for anything? In all honesty, and with all due respect, you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about. Maybe you have an axe to grind?

He knows exactly what he is talking about, obviously you don't. The reason it means nothing on the high school level is the play one or two games that count towards district standings all year. On the college level they play a series almost every weekend with a different team. I am not sure if it is 3 games or 4 games but they play a lot more teams than a high school's district. If you win the regular season in the SEC you have done something because that means you have swept most of the teams in the SEC in 3 or 4 games. There is a championship on the college level for winning the regular season there is not in high school. That is the simple point that has been trying to be made, and obviously no one can comprehend. It is a good accomplishment, but it is not a championship, that's all. There is no way you can compare the two because they are two totally different scenarios.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:He knows exactly what he is talking about, obviously you don't. The reason it means nothing on the high school level is the play one or two games that count towards district standings all year. On the college level they play a series almost every weekend with a different team. I am not sure if it is 3 games or 4 games but they play a lot more teams than a high school's district. If you win the regular season in the SEC you have done something because that means you have swept most of the teams in the SEC in 3 or 4 games. There is a championship on the college level for winning the regular season there is not in high school. That is the simple point that has been trying to be made, and obviously no one can comprehend. It is a good accomplishment, but it is not a championship, that's all. There is no way you can compare the two because they are two totally different scenarios.

The SEC has a regular season champion; the SEC has a tournament champion. Your explanation of why that is not relevant to high school boils down to that two head to head games (one home, one away) don't really matter. Above all else that might be said, that is certainly an interesting take, and you're right, of course, to take it. No matter the ridiculous nature of the opinion.
Per American Heritage: "Champion"... someone or something acknowledged as the best of all, having defeated others in competition. Can anyone explain to me how that does NOT apply to the regular season? A 6-0 record in the regular season qualifies one as the best of all in the competition of the regular season, which is rewarded with a #1 seed. Why is that hard to understand?
thecavemaster Wrote:The SEC has a regular season champion; the SEC has a tournament champion. Your explanation of why that is not relevant to high school boils down to that two head to head games (one home, one away) don't really matter. Above all else that might be said, that is certainly an interesting take, and you're right, of course, to take it. No matter the ridiculous nature of the opinion.

Rediculus? The rediculus part is you trying to compare what they do in college to high school. Two games against medioce competition and 4 games against the SEC are too different things. I think that is why they give them a championship for that in college. This is hilarious you have no idea what your talking about.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Rediculus? The rediculus part is you trying to compare what they do in college to high school. Two games against medioce competition and 4 games against the SEC are too different things. I think that is why they give them a championship for that in college. This is hilarious you have no idea what your talking about.

Please read the definition of champion, realize the comparison is not between the SEC and high school, but rather about the meaning of "champion" and its relevance to the situation. Your axe is out of hiding.
Estill Co is the 56th Reg season Champs no one could take it from them on the field so why do you try to take it from them of the field.This is a great group of kids and they will always be champs in my mine.Thank you caveman you do know what your talking about. And for you Rabbit your a jerk.
idk wat was wrong with powells hitting the other night against estill...but they couldnt compare....estill knocked the cover off the ball powell....... not so much...
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Rediculus? The rediculus part is you trying to compare what they do in college to high school. Two games against medioce competition and 4 games against the SEC are too different things. I think that is why they give them a championship for that in college. This is hilarious you have no idea what your talking about.

JackRabbit, you might not wanna argue with the cavemaster. He is always right, always.

Estill is the regular season champs. Lets just leave it at that.
bluegrassballa Wrote:JackRabbit, you might not wanna argue with the cavemaster. He is always right, always.

Estill is the regular season champs. Lets just leave it at that.

Bluegrassballa: Do you hold any opinions which you know are wrong? If so, why would you hold them? When we argue/debate these things, are we supposed to feign some sort of false humility so that people will like us? The whole point of debate (I always thought) was to make your case and poke holes in the other person's.
thecavemaster Wrote:Please read the definition of champion, realize the comparison is not between the SEC and high school, but rather about the meaning of "champion" and its relevance to the situation. Your axe is out of hiding.

Well I am just going to have to disagree with you. What about all the districts in the state that don't seed? They could care less who the regular season champs are. Every game they play against their district opponents are not with their best pitchers on the mound. You would think if it meant something they would pitch their best against them. The reason they don't is because it doesn't matter and they would rather them not see their ace. However, the teams that do seed have to throw their ace, but the regular season in their situation is only to verify seeding, and they throw their ace to get the seed, not a championship. You have your opinions and I will have mine, but regardless Estill got the #1 seed in the district and that's all that matters.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Well I am just going to have to disagree with you. What about all the districts in the state that don't seed? They could care less who the regular season champs are. Every game they play against their district opponents are not with their best pitchers on the mound. You would think if it meant something they would pitch their best against them. The reason they don't is because it doesn't matter and they would rather them not see their ace. However, the teams that do seed have to throw their ace, but the regular season in their situation is only to verify seeding, and they throw their ace to get the seed, not a championship. You have your opinions and I will have mine, but regardless Estill got the #1 seed in the district and that's all that matters.

The 56th does seed, does reward the best record. By definition, then, "champion." Good enough, let 'er ride.
I'm just throwing this out there but who gives a _____? The only thing with districts that really matter is whoever is in the championship game so they can advance to regions and get a shot at winning the Regional Title, thats the number 1 goal to win region.
i think everyone needs to calm down....ESTILL BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF POWELL...AND THATS THAT!!!
90FeetFromHome Wrote:I'm just throwing this out there but who gives a _____? The only thing with districts that really matter is whoever is in the championship game so they can advance to regions and get a shot at winning the Regional Title, thats the number 1 goal to win region.

Yea that was my point exactly.
thecavemaster Wrote:Bluegrassballa: Do you hold any opinions which you know are wrong? If so, why would you hold them? When we argue/debate these things, are we supposed to feign some sort of false humility so that people will like us? The whole point of debate (I always thought) was to make your case and poke holes in the other person's.

Well, no. I don't hold any opinions except that Estill is the 56th district regular season champions. And no, you don't poke tholes through people.