Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Members Read!
Ever since this basketball season has started there has been nothing but negative talk about players. BGR is a forum that allows you to state your opinion but it doesn't mean to bash all these players. Some do have more of a future in basketball than others do, but thats just the way life is. And just because this one player makes it farther than an athlete at your school doesn't mean you have to be jealous and starting hating on him. Prime example Landon Slone. Yes we all know he can play, LETS JUST LEAVE IT AT THAT. No more negative talk will improve this website's members and will be better represented. I myself had several people call me today and tell me that they wasn't even going to get on here no more because all it is basically is a Landon Slone argument and they were tired of hearing about it. So please lets start talking positive, and if you do have something to say negative, then at least try to make it sounds good (if possible). Thank you !
Okay everybody needs to read that.
Then what is the purpose of this entire site if you can't state your own opinion? This is a sports forum where you are supposed to be able to discuss sports. Obviously, there is going to be a difference of opinions. I just think it's ridiculous when people try to tell you how you should post. I do agree, however, that it does seem that the same topics are discussed over and over. I think one of the biggest problems is that the majority of the members are from Eastern Kentucky which is why there seems to be a repetitve nature in many of the posts. I seriously think some more thought should have went into the name of the site, perhaps Mountain Rivals due to the lack of input from across the state. BlueGrass Rivals doesn't seem very appropriate. I'm sure many of the moderators on this site will probably disagree with what I have said but that is just my opinion. With so many restrictions, it takes away from the good nature of discussing sports. Just because we talk about high school sports on here doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to express your own opinion as long as it is clean. Seriously, all of these restrictions defeats the whole purpose of the entire forum. There's nothing wrong with a good heated discussion. With the emergence of sites such as Rivals.com, high school athletes are becoming more and more evaluated. That's just the facts. It's ridiculous that people complain about athletes reading the posts on this site. If they can't take criticism, then they shouldn't be playing sports in the first place. This whole arguement is completely absurd, in my opinion.
Lawrence Wrote:Then what is the purpose of this entire site if you can't state your own opinion? This is a sports forum where you are supposed to be able to discuss sports. Obviously, there is going to be a difference of opinions. I just think it's ridiculous when people try to tell you how you should post. I do agree, however, that it does seem that the same topics are discussed over and over. I think one of the biggest problems is that the majority of the members are from Eastern Kentucky which is why there seems to be a repetitve nature in many of the posts. I seriously think some more thought should have went into the name of the site, perhaps Mountain Rivals due to the lack of input from across the state. BlueGrass Rivals doesn't seem very appropriate. I'm sure many of the moderators on this site will probably disagree with what I have said but that is just my opinion. With so many restrictions, it takes away from the good nature of discussing sports. Just because we talk about high school sports on here doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to express your own opinion as long as it is clean. Seriously, all of these restrictions defeats the whole purpose of the entire forum. There's nothing wrong with a good heated discussion. With the emergence of sites such as Rivals.com, high school athletes are becoming more and more evaluated. That's just the facts. It's ridiculous that people complain about athletes reading the posts on this site. If they can't take criticism, then they shouldn't be playing sports in the first place. This whole arguement is completely absurd, in my opinion.

There is a difference between voicing your opinion of the way a player plays a game and bashing the player himself.

The name always has been and will continue to be Bluegrassrivals. The reason there are a lot of posters from Eastern Ky is the fact that the site was started here. If we want it to grow we need to recruit members from all over the state. It will be virtually impossible if perspective new members come on here and all they read are bashing posts.

My last statement is this.

Regardless of how different people feel about the subject the fact is we will continue to edit and delete posts that do absolutely nothing but bash a player or team. We have no problem if you say that a particular player is not college caliber or something along those lines but be mature about your responses.

Responses such as player x sucks and has absolutely no reason to be playing or even riding the bench for that matter.

See the difference?
Lawrence Wrote:Then what is the purpose of this entire site if you can't state your own opinion? This is a sports forum where you are supposed to be able to discuss sports. Obviously, there is going to be a difference of opinions. I just think it's ridiculous when people try to tell you how you should post. I do agree, however, that it does seem that the same topics are discussed over and over. I think one of the biggest problems is that the majority of the members are from Eastern Kentucky which is why there seems to be a repetitve nature in many of the posts. I seriously think some more thought should have went into the name of the site, perhaps Mountain Rivals due to the lack of input from across the state. BlueGrass Rivals doesn't seem very appropriate. I'm sure many of the moderators on this site will probably disagree with what I have said but that is just my opinion. With so many restrictions, it takes away from the good nature of discussing sports. Just because we talk about high school sports on here doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to express your own opinion as long as it is clean. Seriously, all of these restrictions defeats the whole purpose of the entire forum. There's nothing wrong with a good heated discussion. With the emergence of sites such as Rivals.com, high school athletes are becoming more and more evaluated. That's just the facts. It's ridiculous that people complain about athletes reading the posts on this site. If they can't take criticism, then they shouldn't be playing sports in the first place. This whole arguement is completely absurd, in my opinion.
This whole post is absurd. All I ever read of your posts is negativity, unless it is about Magoffin. These athletes do not need to read the negativity about them, whether you like it or not. There is NEVER a good reason for adults to downgrade ANY of these kids, no matter where they go to school. I really don't even agree with Midee saying that we can state these kids aren't college material. Let the colleges decide that. We aren't the recruiters.

i agree with you on some of your posts in the past. But the reason I started this thread is to tell people like you that this is a high school forum. Do not bash on players and do down them. They are still kids. State your opinion but do it in the nicest way possible. Please and if u can't then don't state it at all.

I agree with everything you said except the "Mountain Rivals" part. We are trying to expand into other parts of Kentucky and bring in more members. Restricting to the mountainous areas of the state would keep those who may want to be part of BGR away.

Lets discuss and argue out opinions on sports but lets try to bring in more points of view and more areas and schools to discuss.
TheRealVille Wrote:This whole post is absurd. All I ever read of your posts is negativity, unless it is about Magoffin. These athletes do not need to read the negativity about them, whether you like it or not. There is NEVER a good reason for adults to downgrade ANY of these kids, no matter where they go to school. I really don't even agree with Midee saying that we can state these kids aren't college material. Let the colleges decide that. We aren't the recruiters.
These kids also live in the real world and now and in the future will be subject to critcism. You can be critical without being cruel. Just don't make it personal and call out other members who may not agree with your point of view.

I believe the kids handle it better than the so called adults most of the time.
FBALL Wrote:These kids also live in the real world and now and in the future will be subject to critciss. You can be critical without being cruel. Just don't make it personal and call out other members who may not agree with your point of view.

I believe the kids handle it better than the so called adults most of the time.
Oh, I'm all for constructive critisim, just not the negativity. Like the bashing of Stepp and Slone.
If you wanna bash a player on the basketball court, I dont see nothing wrong with it but in his personal life I do.
If I say I think a player sucks, what is wrong with that? If I cant say that then people shouldnt be able to say a player is good.
crazyfan4 Wrote:Ever since this basketball season has started there has been nothing but negative talk about players. BGR is a forum that allows you to state your opinion but it doesn't mean to bash all these players. Some do have more of a future in basketball than others do, but thats just the way life is. And just because this one player makes it farther than an athlete at your school doesn't mean you have to be jealous and starting hating on him. Prime example Landon Slone. Yes we all know he can play, LETS JUST LEAVE IT AT THAT. No more negative talk will improve this website's members and will be better represented. I myself had several people call me today and tell me that they wasn't even going to get on here no more because all it is basically is a Landon Slone argument and they were tired of hearing about it. So please lets start talking positive, and if you do have something to say negative, then at least try to make it sounds good (if possible). Thank you !

Excellent Post! Ephesians 4:29 - Let NO corrupt communication come out of your mouth, ONLY that which is GOOD and administers grace unto the HEARER!

Instead of conforming to the evil world today I would rather try to live the way my Creator told me to. Research shows that it takes 20 positive statements to undo the damage of 1 negative statement, especially in kids. How very sad that grown adults would say something to hurt a child. It is okay to state opinions but like crazyfan4 said try to make criticism in a kind way. I am sure everyone on this website is intelligent enough to know how to do that from what I have read. Always ask yourself before you post - would I want someone to say this about me or my child or someone I love? It is so unnecessary to post ugly comments, especially ones that bash young people who are just beginning to form their identities. Do you want to be someone who helps that young person to feel good about themselves which will in turn effect their lives in a positive way by giving them more confidence and helping them to be more successful in life or do you want to be the person who put negative doubt in their minds, always making them feel they are not good enough, in turn effecting their future. These kids are all our future and we should be doing everything we can as a society to keep them on the right track, away from drugs, etc. If we can help them to form healthy images of themselves they will have a better chance of making something of themselves and becoming productive members of our society. Please pray and think before you post!!!!!!
Everyone knows a little negitive makes things more interresting. If this site was all positive post and couldnt express your views then there wouldnt be as many people on here.
I know there are a few people that says alot of negitive things(I do sometimes) but everyone isnt gonna agree with everything someone says. If I dont think a player is good and you do, Im gonna tell you and explain why I think that.
If I start dogging his family, then yea I should be banned but just because I dont agree with someone dont mean Im going to ****.

I don't have a clue who you are but if you are old enough to have kids or every do then you may understatnd this concept. What if it was your kid or you that was being told over and over that they can not play at the next level. If you do have kids then you will know what I am talking about, if you dont and every do have you will.
TheRealVille Wrote:This whole post is absurd. All I ever read of your posts is negativity, unless it is about Magoffin.

What are you even talking about?
By the way great post!!!!!!!!! There is a difference in talking about a game or a team, off night, on, etc. My team can beat yours, more talent, guards, post players ect. But to come out and say that a player, team, coach, school, etc are not good, how is that bring up conversation unless it is negative.
basketballfan000 Wrote:I don't have a clue who you are but if you are old enough to have kids or every do then you may understatnd this concept. What if it was your kid or you that was being told over and over that they can not play at the next level. If you do have kids then you will know what I am talking about, if you dont and every do have you will.
If post on here affects anyones life I would be ashamed. You really think if someone says somthing to me that is means that im gonna lose sleep over it?
I don't understand why it is so wrong to be critical as long as you aren't being personal. I don't think it's right to bash a kid just because of who they are but at the same time, it shouldn't be frowned upon if you say something negative about their game. As for all of these people that saying that the athletes shouldn't see this and such, well what are we supposed to do, lie? I just think this whole thing is getting out of hand. This is a sports forum! It's not a self-esteem booster. I think some people need to remember that.
Lawrence Wrote:What are you even talking about?
I think Euton needs to improve tremenously before he is considered a "stud." He hasn't impressed me yet. That's just my opinion.

Who is taking a cheap shot? Just because someone has a different opinion than you? Your whole arguement is pointless. You expect everyone on here to say "Hail Landon Slone" "He's the greatest player of all time." If you can't handle people disagreeing with you, why are you even on here? To post all of that stuff about PC_You_Know is just ridiculous. What point are you trying to make? That everyone should love Paintsville and Landon Slone. Some people rate talent different than others. Get over it.

Can you honestly say that you think Landon would be a contributor at UK? That he would actually receive a significant amount of playing time and be a scorer? I know you support the guy and that's great but sometimes you just have to be realistic. If he goes to UK, that is a huge accompishment but logically speaking, he isn't going to see the floor. I know there are a lot of Paintsville and Slone supporters on here but just because you're a fan doesn't mean you should set impractical goals for the guy. Slone is a good player and will make a nice fit at a small D-1 school or lower, not UK.

Landon Slone is a good player. He is, by no means, a great player like many of the people on here hype him up to be. He would fit in well at a smaller D-1 school I'm sure but if, and that's a big if, he walks on at UK he will be just be another Steve Masiello. How many of the UK walk ons receive an adequate amount of playing time? To say that he could be a scorer against SEC talent is just plain ridiculous. Year after year UK has brought in numerous players just like Slone; good high school players in the state of Kentucky who just spend their time at UK riding the pine. If Slone goes to UK, that's exactly where he will be: at the end of the bench. I'm not taking anything away from Slone's talent but he gets waaaaaaay too much hype on here than he deserves. If I didn't know any better, you'd think we were talking about the next Lebron James. Why not have a talk with David Stern and send him straight to the Miami Heat? Come on people, get real.
Originally Posted by ukfan24
I abosolutely agree with you! Everybody is on here getting their hopes up on this game. Almost Everybody is predicting this game on their hearts instead of their heads.You can talk about how Pville got really close to beating J-Town, I have seen BOTH teams play and J-Town wins by far! Eastern High the 7th region runners up could by far beat Pville! Theres no question J-Town wins easily, I am feeling generous J-Town by 15.

I couldn't agree with this any more. You hit the nail on the head.

You Always have nothing good to say, especially about Paintsville and Slone. You think you are the almighty sports guru and have never given Paintsville a chance on anything this year, yet you got proved wrong at every turn, all the way to the quarters. Why even say anything if it is always bad. Let the college coaches figure it out. You are not one of them or you wouldn't be here. You only appear to be the coaching expert. Did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night?
I just dont understand, If they go overboard on bashing a player then yea. If not, I know its not good to hear but oh well, who cares.
RavenBoy Wrote:If post on here affects anyones life I would be ashamed. You really think if someone says somthing to me that is means that im gonna lose sleep over it?

I may be wrong but I will go out on a limb and say that you are a young person and I was once and still to a point like you, who gives a ----what you say about me because I dont care. The thing about that is not everyone has that strong of a personally. It is one thing to discuss and another to put down. I am glad that you have a positive self image, but everyone that looks at this site does not. What may mean nothing to you, or even seem funny, may really hurt some kids feelings. Just a thought!!
basketballfan000 Wrote:I don't have a clue who you are but if you are old enough to have kids or every do then you may understatnd this concept. What if it was your kid or you that was being told over and over that they can not play at the next level. If you do have kids then you will know what I am talking about, if you dont and every do have you will.

You have a point, but I hope that when my boy gets old enough to where he is in the situation to where he may read critizism about him that I would have raised him to be strong enough to accept it and move on. I think if a kid really takes what people say about them that personally then it's tragic. I know there are some that do, but you made the comparison to"if" he had kids, and I just thought to myself that I hope mine will be strong enough to take it, or I will feel that I failed as a parent raising him. The sports world is not always cake and ice cream. It's tough, real tough. What kids need to realize is there is always going to be someone that is as good or better than them and negativity will come with success. That is just apart of it. If you prepare kids to be ready to accept negative comments then it wouldn't be that vitale for people to have to step on egg shells when discussing sports on forums. Maybe i'm wrong just my opinion. :Hammer3:
TheRealVille Wrote:I think Euton needs to improve tremenously before he is considered a "stud." He hasn't impressed me yet. That's just my opinion.

Who is taking a cheap shot? Just because someone has a different opinion than you? Your whole arguement is pointless. You expect everyone on here to say "Hail Landon Slone" "He's the greatest player of all time." If you can't handle people disagreeing with you, why are you even on here? To post all of that stuff about PC_You_Know is just ridiculous. What point are you trying to make? That everyone should love Paintsville and Landon Slone. Some people rate talent different than others. Get over it.

Can you honestly say that you think Landon would be a contributor at UK? That he would actually receive a significant amount of playing time and be a scorer? I know you support the guy and that's great but sometimes you just have to be realistic. If he goes to UK, that is a huge accompishment but logically speaking, he isn't going to see the floor. I know there are a lot of Paintsville and Slone supporters on here but just because you're a fan doesn't mean you should set impractical goals for the guy. Slone is a good player and will make a nice fit at a small D-1 school or lower, not UK.

Landon Slone is a good player. He is, by no means, a great player like many of the people on here hype him up to be. He would fit in well at a smaller D-1 school I'm sure but if, and that's a big if, he walks on at UK he will be just be another Steve Masiello. How many of the UK walk ons receive an adequate amount of playing time? To say that he could be a scorer against SEC talent is just plain ridiculous. Year after year UK has brought in numerous players just like Slone; good high school players in the state of Kentucky who just spend their time at UK riding the pine. If Slone goes to UK, that's exactly where he will be: at the end of the bench. I'm not taking anything away from Slone's talent but he gets waaaaaaay too much hype on here than he deserves. If I didn't know any better, you'd think we were talking about the next Lebron James. Why not have a talk with David Stern and send him straight to the Miami Heat? Come on people, get real.
I abosolutely agree with you! Everybody is on here getting their hopes up on this game. Almost Everybody is predicting this game on their hearts instead of their heads.You can talk about how Pville got really close to beating J-Town, I have seen BOTH teams play and J-Town wins by far! Eastern High the 7th region runners up could by far beat Pville! Theres no question J-Town wins easily, I am feeling generous J-Town by 15.

You Always have nothing good to say, especially about Paintsville and Slone. You think you are the almighty sports guru and have never given Paintsville a chance on anything this year, yet you got proved wrong at every turn, all the way to the quarters. Why even say anything if it is always bad. Let the college coaches figure it out. You are not one of them or you wouldn't be here. You only appear to be the coaching expert. Did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

I know this is off topic, but Ravi Moss was a great clutch shooter and got some good playing time. Just wanted to throw what out there!!Cool
TheRealVille Wrote:I think Euton needs to improve tremenously before he is considered a "stud." He hasn't impressed me yet. That's just my opinion.

Where do you see anything about Magoffin on there? What are you trying to prove? Is it so hard for you to handle the fact that someone has a different opinion than you? This is just getting silly.
Lawrence Wrote:Where do you see anything about Magoffin on there? What are you trying to prove? Is it so hard for you to handle the fact that someone has a different opinion than you? This is just getting silly.
No, I remember the Magoffin stuff from last year. I'm not talking about disagreeing, that is fine. You just have had negative things to say about Paintsville and Slone all season long, negative remarks with them going all the way to day two at State. You are not the big sport guru you try to appear to be. You have been proved wrong with Paintsville all through the tourneys this post season. Let the college coaches and Landon figure out where he goes.
RavenBoy Wrote:I just dont understand, If they go overboard on bashing a player then yea. If not, I know its not good to hear but oh well, who cares.

the point of making this thread is because I am tired of people downing other players. Most people don't like read bad things about themselves. I didn't start this thread to bring up more arguments, because people who hear about this website will eventually think that arguing and talking trash about players is what this represents. This website does let you speak your mind but in a positive way so please don't abuse it.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:You have a point, but I hope that when my boy gets old enough to where he is in the situation to where he may read critizism about him that I would have raised him to be strong enough to accept it and move on. I think if a kid really takes what people say about them that personally then it's tragic. I know there are some that do, but you made the comparison to"if" he had kids, and I just thought to myself that I hope mine will be strong enough to take it, or I will feel that I failed as a parent raising him. The sports world is not always cake and ice cream. It's tough, real tough. What kids need to realize is there is always going to be someone that is as good or better than them and negativity will come with success. That is just apart of it. If you prepare kids to be ready to accept negative comments then it wouldn't be that vitale for people to have to step on egg shells when discussing sports on forums. Maybe i'm wrong just my opinion. :Hammer3:

I think that you have an excellent point. You HOPE that your boy has the ability to deal with it and i dont think that you would be a bad parent if they he does not. You can do your best to teach your kids but we can not just control everything by the way we raise them. At some point, they make decisions on their own. We hope that they are they things that we have taught them; nevertheless, i will speak for myself and say that i did things and have beliefs that my parents never had. I guess what i am trying to point out is that no matter how TOUGH you try to make your child they have their own personalitly.

FTR, those are not my words except the bold in the last paragraph at the bottom. Those are quotes.
basketballfan000 Wrote:I think that you have an excellent point. You HOPE that your boy has the ability to deal with it and i dont think that you would be a bad parent if they he does not. You can do your best to teach your kids but we can not just control everything by the way we raise them. At some point, they make decisions on their own. We hope that they are they things that we have taught them; nevertheless, i will speak for myself and say that i did things and have beliefs that my parents never had. I guess what i am trying to point out is that no matter how TOUGH you try to make your child they have their own personalitly.

That's true you are right, but sometimes if you instill in them what is important and what is not at an early age, they are more likely to take that into their teens. Their personality may make it hard, but they know from you have taught them at an early age that it is just simply not important what other people say about you. I guess you can never tell what they will think when they get older though can you? haha..
Lawrence Wrote:So what? I was wrong. I'm not afraid to admit it. Paintsville surprised me with their play in the state tourney. I didn't think they would win the first round. That was MY opinion. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. Get over it. This site is completely out of hand. It's ridiculous that you can't even post what you think without hounded over it. My goodness. Give it a break already.

No, I think that he has a very good point. I remember readin this post below and thinking to myself why in the world you had a personal vendetta against Landon. You have never had anything good to say about him, and it's a prime example of what this thread is about....

Originally posted by: Lawrence
"Landon Slone is a good player. He is, by no means, a great player like many of the people on here hype him up to be. He would fit in well at a smaller D-1 school I'm sure but if, and that's a big if, he walks on at UK he will be just be another Steve Masiello. How many of the UK walk ons receive an adequate amount of playing time? To say that he could be a scorer against SEC talent is just plain ridiculous. Year after year UK has brought in numerous players just like Slone; good high school players in the state of Kentucky who just spend their time at UK riding the pine. If Slone goes to UK, that's exactly where he will be: at the end of the bench. I'm not taking anything away from Slone's talent but he gets waaaaaaay too much hype on here than he deserves. If I didn't know any better, you'd think we were talking about the next Lebron James. Why not have a talk with David Stern and send him straight to the Miami Heat? Come on people, get real."
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:That's true you are right, but sometimes if you instill in them what is important and what is not at an early age, they are more likely to take that into their teens. Their personality may make it hard, but they know from you have taught them at an early age that it is just simply not important what other people say about you. I guess you can never tell what they will think when they get older though can you? haha..

I think you are right but as you said you are a parent and it does not matter what they think but the quilty of their life. I am sure you might have a different outlook in 8 or 10 years and it is your BOY that is being bashed on this site. No matter if he laughs at it and it TRUELY does not bother him, I PROMISE you it will not be funny to you no matter how HARD you think you are.