Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phelps Lady Hornets
As I complete my first season as head coach of the Lady Hornets I would like to say a few things.

First of all I would like to thank every one here who supported us throught this season. Overall, I think this season was a success. We went from 5 wins to 13 and from 18 losses to 11. We lost some close games that could have gone either way and beat some tought teams this season. We won the first All "A" games that Phelps had won since 1999 and finished as the 15th Region All "A" Runner-Up. We finished the season with a winning record, something that hasn't been done here at Phelps for a few years as well.

I have tremendously enjoyed my first season as a head coach and I have loved being around this group of girls. They have made me feel good as a coach as I have watched them grow and improve this season. I am looking forward to the summer and helping our girls improve even more. I feel that the Phelps Lady Hornets program is going in the right direction and with more hard work and dedication from our players and supporters we can have great success in the future.

My goals for this season were to teach these girls about the game of basketball and to make it fun for them. Lets face it, this is high school, it is not college or the pros. These kids need to learn about the game of basketball and have fun doing it. If it is not fun for them, you will not get much effort and enthusiasm from them. I believe our girls had fun and we had a great season as well. I have grown tremendously as a coach and as a person from my experiences this season and I can not wait for next season to begin!!

I want to thank everyone on here who has supported us and thank all of my players and their parents for making this season one that I will never forget. I will always remeber my first team here and they will always have a special place in my heart. Our goal for next season is to improve on what we have started here and to become a prominent team in this region.

GO LADY HORNETS!!!
Awesome post and an excellent job this year coach! Your team made waves in a positive manner and I look forward to watching them improve each year! Congrats!
Excellent post JR...
IMO you have done an excellent job with the girls this season. I know you have made an impression on other girls from other teams who think you are just awesome!! You have much more that I know you can accomplish as you have the talent, ability, heart, and dedication that a coach who loves what they do shows. Congratulations on an outstanding first season and best wishes for many, many more for you, the "future" teams you may coach, and all of your assistants... (one of which is rather special to me).....LOL....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
JR I am a HUGE Pike Central supporter and I just want to commend you on all you have done. I have been watching high school basketball my whole life went to my first game when I was only 7 months old and my dad held me on the side line with him when it was still Johns Creek. You have made it to where I was rooting for you all against anyone but Pike Central lol. Now I may not know all there is to know about basketball and I am sure I tick a lot of ppl off on here by some of the things I say about all teams. INCLUDING PIKE CENTRAL. However, my opinions are not to ridicule any player or team but is just to fuel them to get better. I love to see people succeed b/c my whole life I was told by people that I could to achieve my dreams. I have achieved them though through hard work. That right there is what you have made happen at Phelps. You have gave them life. You have gave them a reason to go watch these girls play. I give you 2 more years and you will be sitting right where Butcher and Wiremann sit and that is as one of the top coaches in this area. You have not only gave your fans something to cheer about but you have gave your school, admin and players something to strive for and that is greatness just as you did under BMR. Keep up the hard work I always knew Phelps had the talent in that area they just needed a coach like you to turn things around and I have stated this many times through out this season. Phelps got a steal when they got you. You are truly some one that I look up to as a young man. Thank you for showing me all dreams will and can be achieved.
I have to say that Phelps has really turned around this season thanks to you. And I just would like to commend you on a job well done Coach
Congratulations on a job well done coach.The girls really did well this year and I see no where for them to go but up. You got your work cut out for you for a couple of years but I think the end reward will be worth it for you and the team.You all as a team accomplished more than I thought possible from a first year of coaching change and I thought the transition went pretty smooth. I look foward to seeing the girls get better and accomplish more good things.Thanks for turning our program into something the girls and our community can be proud of and best of luck in the future. By the way I found someone to tape the games for you.:theman: :theman:
What did you think about the all-district selections? How do they decide who selects all-district? You had a really nice point guard who didn't make it.
kyfan Wrote:What did you think about the all-district selections? How do they decide who selects all-district? You had a really nice point guard who didn't make it.

It was voted on by the coaches for their season play. I think there should be no all-district/all-tournament teams at all. Some players are more valuable than their stats show and it is hard to determine who was more important to your teams over the course of the season or tournament. Teams win and lose together. Many teams crumble because of jealousy due to these all-tournament teams. Teams get the credit for wins and loses not players. If I could have had my way everyone of my girls would have been all-district/all-tournament because of their play this season.
I would like to cast my vote for JR Vanhoose for 15th Region Girls Coach of the Year!!!!
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I would like to cast my vote for JR Vanhoose for 15th Region Girls Coach of the Year!!!!

I think many would agree with you, Fox! I personally think that the turnaround that he brought to Phelps' girls team was amazing! I look forward to watching them for years to come!
I'll 3rd that!!!!
Not only as a coach but as a person JR an outstanding role model for youth all over the area. He has done an excellent job with the girls at PHS and I look forward to watching the progress over the next few years!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Congrats to the Lady Hornets and Coach Vanhoose! ......Good Luck next season J.R!!!
great job this year in bringing that program along with class and dedication. Keep up the good work!

....A Season to be Remembered most definitely....
Thanks Coach VanHoose for your dedication to the Lady Hornets!! your patience and hard work AND your sleepless nites really paid off for these young ladies..the attention to this team was not as one but as a team..your dedication and love of the game has been restored back into the hearts of each and everyone of the Lady Hornets and you are truly appreciated by all of them. and the support from the community has shown so well this year ....
just keep focused on your goals and our young ladies will follow suit.
thanks coach!!!
Wink oh yea...we're workin' on that award for "most saved time-outs"....lol
and your nomination has been posted by the local "Table Bangers" president!!!

yea that 15th region coach of the year sounds really nice and well deserved ...
J R Vanhoose is a class act and the Lady Hornets are blessed to have him as a coach. And, I would like to thank him personally for carrying our injured Sally Roberts off the court that night at Phelps. Sure, any one would have done it - but it was just easier for the big guy and it was much appreciated. Good luck to you and your Lady Hornets.
Great Job this season J. You and your wifey are gonna have Phelps at the top of the region within the next 2-3 years if they keep improvin the way the already have. Keep up the good work brother...
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:It was voted on by the coaches for their season play. I think there should be no all-district/all-tournament teams at all. Some players are more valuable than their stats show and it is hard to determine who was more important to your teams over the course of the season or tournament. Teams win and lose together. Many teams crumble because of jealousy due to these all-tournament teams. Teams get the credit for wins and loses not players. If I could have had my way everyone of my girls would have been all-district/all-tournament because of their play this season.
great post and i agree.
I have seen the senior point guard play since grade school. She was a true leader of the team, and the one who wanted the ball when other teams pressed. She didn't run down the floor to avoid the pressure and turnovers. My congratulations to Taylor Keene on a great career and a great season. As Coach Boone told Coach Yost in Remember the Titans, when he said, "You are hall of fame in my book", Taylor, you are all district in my book. As JR said, there are so many things that don't show up in the stat sheet, and the most important is leadership. The true test will be next year when someone has to step up and take Taylor's place in the lineup. Not to put anyone else down, but I just think that Taylor was most deserving of all district.
Congrats on a great inaugural season, from the gang on Washington Avenue!
Great job JR, keep making us proud from the other PHS.
Congrats on a great seaon and good luck next year!
HOOSE IN DA HOUSE

GREAT SEASON JR

PHELPS IS VERY PROUD OF YOU MAN :letsparty
congrats to JR I think he has showed that it has what it takes to coach. Good luck next season
From the so called "rumor" Coach, you are going to have the team to beat next year, Goodluck
GREAT job with your girls , looks like next year will be even better . YOU have my vote as well , to a job well done.
Great Job Coach Vanhoose.. Good Luck Next Season...
Congrats on a good season JR!!
wish u the best of luck this season........Vanhoose..[[=
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:It was voted on by the coaches for their season play. I think there should be no all-district/all-tournament teams at all. Some players are more valuable than their stats show and it is hard to determine who was more important to your teams over the course of the season or tournament. Teams win and lose together. Many teams crumble because of jealousy due to these all-tournament teams. Teams get the credit for wins and loses not players. If I could have had my way everyone of my girls would have been all-district/all-tournament because of their play this season.

I agree 1000%