Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville vs. Shelby Valley?
This thread wasn't started for posters to just make predictions! I started this thread so that posters (that have seen both Paintsville and Shelby Valley play this year) can discuss how they believe the two teams match up and the positives and negatives of both teams' abilities.

And yes, before anyone says it, I know it's possible the two may not end up playing each other! We all know March Madness makes no sense sometimes.

with That Said, How Does Everyone That Have Seen The Two Teams Believe They Match Up And What Advantages Do You Think That Either Team Has Over The Other?
Paintsville

Blake Bundy- Floor General
Justin Murray- Hustles and plays good "D"
Landon Slone- Best Player/Scorer on the floor
J.D.Vanhoose- Streaky Shooter, Big Body
Shane Grimm- Garbage Man, Very Intense

Shelby Valley

Elisha Justice- Floor General
Logan Bryant- Hustles and plays good "D"
Jacob Bryant- Great Passer
Jonah Justice- Big Body
Ashley Hatfield- Inside/Outside Combo

IMO these two teams match up very close...

Paintsville's Advantages:
Coaching, Landon Slone, Senior Leadership/Experience, and the fact that this is all or nothing for these guys...
Paintsville's Disadvantages:
NO Depth

Shelby Valley's Advantages:
Team Chemistry and Pressure "D"
Shelby Valley's Disadvantages:
Short Bench Depth/quality and EXPERIENCE
SV-has the size advantage, deeper bench
PHS-Senior leadership, quick tempo style of play

Those are really the only two things that I can think of that fall in each teams advantage. They are very evenly matched. SV had the easy road to Regional and Paintsville had to play one more game before play starts next week. SV started high, then slouched for a few games, and now are picking it back up at the right time. Paintsville has played pretty consistent the whole year with the exception of 3 minutes in the game at the Expo and against UHA, and played about as bad as I've ever seen them in 4 years against LexCath. If these two teams do meet up it should be a great game.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Paintsville

Shelby Valley

Jonah Justice- Big Body

Coaching, Landon Slone, Senior Leadership/Experience, and the fact that this is all or nothing for these guys...
NO Depth

Team Chemistry
and Pressure "D"

Good run down. The only thing I'm questioning is Team Chemistry. Paintsville has basically had the same team for the past 4 seasons with the positive addition of Murray this season. Also, several of them played on the same AAU team going back to 8th grade. If you can't form some type of chemistry within those 4 years then you shouldn't even be out there at all. They seem to be playing with a purpose this season unlike the last 3.
DALE Wrote:Good run down. The only thing I'm questioning is Team Chemistry. Paintsville has basically had the same team for the past 4 seasons with the positive addition of Murray this season. Also, several of them played on the same AAU team going back to 8th grade. If you can't form some type of chemistry within those 4 years then you shouldn't even be out there at all. They seem to be playing with a purpose this season unlike the last 3.

SV Players have been playing together all their lives whether it be AAU or even against each other in middle school, so they know each other inside and out...When I said Team Chemistry, I was referring to that and also they are the defending region champs...But, IMO Paintsville will win this Matchup..
uhavenoidea Wrote:Paintsville

Shelby Valley

Jonah Justice- Big Body

NO Depth

Team Chemistry and Pressure "D"

That's a pretty good assessment, although I would consider Elisha Justice as more than just Valley's floor general. He's also a great scorer and their best player, and would have to be considered the second best player on the floor in such a game, behind Slone.

I also see the teams as very evenly matched. Valley plays better defense, while Paintsville is much more polished offensively. I think the experience factor is a wash, for while Paintsville is mostly seniors, Valley's team has played together for a long time, plus they have the experience of going to state last year. I also think the chemistry advantage for SV is non-existent, since Paintsville seems to finally be playing together as a cohesive unit, and are ready to reach their full potential.

To me, the game will hinge on how well Paintsville handles Valley's pressure defense. SV thrives on scoring off forced turnovers, but are only slightly better than average in a half-court offense. If the Tigers can limit the turnovers, I see them taking this one in a barn-burner.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would give the experience factor to Valley. Elisha and Ashley have played once at Rupp. Jake, Logan, Jonah, and Curby have all played there twice.

The thing that could set this game wide open is if Ashley and Curby are both in the game, Ashley can draw Grimm outside the paint and pull a jumper on him while Curby stays inside for the rebound.
I see this as a VERY even match up.

Shelby Valley- Advantage: Has been to the region and won there before, Has some depth off the bench, Plays awesome pressure "D", Team chemistry, and has the speed to keep up with anyone, and Hatfield can play inside and out.

Disadvantage: If the game is slowed down then they have no half court offense, they don't have anyone who can hit the outside shot besides Elisha.

Painstville-Advantage: They are hungry to win region, they are all seniors, can shoot the lights out, and Slone.

Disadvantage: Haven't been to the big game and No Depth.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:I see this as a VERY even match up.

Shelby Valley- Advantage: Has been to the region and won there before, Has some depth off the bench, Plays awesome pressure "D", Team chemistry, and has the speed to keep up with anyone, and Hatfield can play inside and out.

Disadvantage: If the game is slowed down then they have no half court offense, they don't have anyone who can hit the outside shot besides Elisha.

Painstville-Advantage: They are hungry to win region, they are all seniors, can shoot the lights out, and Slone.

Nice outlook, agree with everything you said.
Just my opinion, but I think if Shelby Valley can contain Slone and not let him have his usual 25 points a game, SV will win.
I would rather see this game than any game of the State Tourny.
RavenBoy Wrote:I would rather see this game than any game of the State Tourny.
[COLOR="Blue"]
I agree with ya there. Should be one heck of a game.[/COLOR]
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:I see this as a VERY even match up.

Just woundering what you mean by this. I know they have played in a lot of big games. even though they haven't won any theyve been there and came close. but this game is a toss up. Both teams are very Equal. This is for who ever wants it more. IMO
I think that the Tigers have the offensive advantage from what I've seen of the two teams! SV has the depth advantage!

Keys to game for Paintsville IMO: (1) Shoot the ball well (2) limit TO's, and (3) stay out of foul trouble. If Paintsville can do those three things they should win this one. If they don't, then they'll probably lose! Either team has an off night though and they are done (unless they both are off). Would have to give Paintsville the edge on determination since the seniors want it bad and I'd have to give them the edge on consistency.

The fact that Paintsville hasn't been to Rupp is not relevant. The Tigers and Valley have both played in big tourneys and done well. They are going to go into shock or anything. lol

I sure am looking forward to watching this game though. Hope it works out and both do well!
Having played against both of these teams this season I have to give the edge to Paintsville. (I waited until after my team and I got beat out in my senior year to make an account on here)
Defensively- Shelby Valley's full court press can put the nail in the coffin. However, on a team full of seasoned/experienced/veteran seniors, like Paintsville, I don't see the the Tigers having much difficulty breaking it.
Offensively- The Tigers don't have the best chemistry, but what they have works for them and they know how to win playing with one another. Playing against Shelby Valley it seemed as if most of there points came off turnovers and in transition. Those are things that will be limited playing against an experienced Paintsville Squad.
I think both have the best combined talent of any teams in the region (atleast of the teams I've played against). They both are capable of beating the other. However, I feel a team of seniors are going to have more drive in them to achieve a victory (especially at tourny time).
How about to make it fair when the 15th region gets to Rupp, lets petition the KHSAA to see if we can combine the two teams before we go. Hey, why noy? We will just call ourselves...East Kentucky Old Regular Baptist High School.
OMG Wrote:How about to make it fair when the 15th region gets to Rupp, lets petition the KHSAA to see if we can combine the two teams before we go. Hey, why noy? We will just call ourselves...East Kentucky Old Regular Baptist High School.
:notworthy Great idea!! We might be able to compete with the privates and win the state if we did that! lol

Eastern KY all-stars + new private school = :1: lol
EKY Sportster Wrote::notworthy Great idea!! We might be able to compete with the privates and win the state if we did that! lol

Eastern KY all-stars + new private school = :1: lol

"PaintValley Tigercats" and then send them down to Rupp. Surely they wouldn't know the difference, half of them do not know who we are anyway.
Can you imagine the ticket sales? **** think about the depth on the bench, I'd take Slone and draw straws for the starting five.
you wouldn't want Elisha starting?
I didn't say that. Re read the post. The last time I check you can start five (5) players. I said I'd take Slone and any other combination. Elisha would be another great player on the court. Was it Villanova that went to the great eight with a five (5) guard offense a couple years back? Shelby Valley has a clear cut center, no doubt about it.Paintsville has five guards. Vanhoose blocks out and gets rebounds, Grimmy scores ALOT in the paint but in reality any one of them can play guard.
My comment was based on prior comments that state the two teams should become a private school to go to Rupp with all the talent on one team. Please don't turn this into a Paintsville is better than Shelby Valley, or Shelby Valley is better than Paintsville thing. Or a this guy is better than that guy thing.
Watchful Eye Wrote:I didn't say that. Re read the post. The last time I check you can start five (5) players. I said I'd take Slone and any other combination. Elisha would be another great player on the court. Was it Villanova that went to the great eight with a five (5) guard offense a couple years back? Shelby Valley has a clear cut center, no doubt about it.Paintsville has five guards. Vanhoose blocks out and gets rebounds, Grimmy scores ALOT in the paint but in reality any one of them can play guard.
My comment was based on prior comments that state the two teams should become a private school to go to Rupp with all the talent on one team. Please don't turn this into a Paintsville is better than Shelby Valley, or Shelby Valley is better than Paintsville thing. Or a this guy is better than that guy thing.

I just though it sounded like the only person you for sure would start is Landon, because everyone knows on a 15 all star team Landond and Elisha are for sure starters.
Watchful Eye Wrote:I didn't say that. Re read the post. The last time I check you can start five (5) players. I said I'd take Slone and any other combination. Elisha would be another great player on the court. Was it Villanova that went to the great eight with a five (5) guard offense a couple years back? Shelby Valley has a clear cut center, no doubt about it.Paintsville has five guards. Vanhoose blocks out and gets rebounds, Grimmy scores ALOT in the paint but in reality any one of them can play guard.

I was really kidding around I can't believe they are taking me so serious. haha. Even though it would be really awesome if we could do that...lol
PC_You_Know Wrote:I just though it sounded like the only person you for sure would start is Landon, because everyone knows on a 15 all star team Landond and Elisha are for sure starters.

My God we were not talking about a 15th Region All Start team, we were kidding around about combining the teams. Chill out. Why do you all take everything so serious and personal. He just said he would take Landon! And who wouldn't? He was just naming one player. My god this is why threads like these get out of control is because people can't help themselves but start an argument over everything. Even something hypothetical that could never come true. haha. This is rediculus!!
You need to chill out, you didn't put in your post "im kidding" so from now on until you put im serious in a post im gonna take u jokingly.
PC_You_Know Wrote:You need to chill out, you didn't put in your post "im kidding" so from now on until you put im serious in a post im gonna take u jokingly.

I think it was pretty obvious to everyone it was a joke. It's not even something that could possibly happen so how could you take it serious? If it were possible than it would be serious. It's simple common sense, it was meant to eliviate tension, not increase it, but I should have known.
I really wish these two could have meet in the finals it is such a disappointment to know they will have to play in the semifinals.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I really wish these two could have meet in the finals it is such a disappointment to know they will have to play in the semifinals.

I agree!!!
wouldnt it be funny if Belfry beat Paintsville and all this analyizing was for nothing.... it's March,stranger things have happened
HORNET POWER Wrote:wouldnt it be funny if Belfry beat Paintsville and all this analyizing was for nothing.... it's March,stranger things have happened

That is true! Wouldn't it be funny if Prestonsburg beat Valley and all this analyzing was for nothing....it's March, stranger things have happened. Big Grin

We're only discussing things! That's what threads are for. If we knew all the outcomes ahead of time, why would we even need this site? Who cares? For all I know Paintsville and Valley could both lose! lol Wouldn't that be funny? But don't count on it though!!!