Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg Blackcats 2008
Blackcats will be coming back in 2008 returning a lot of talent, returning eight starters on offense (Justin Trout, Allen Craynon, Dalton Fulks, Seth Setser, Micheal Burchett, Austin Gearheart, Matt Sword, and Zach Bragg). The Blackcat defense returns 8 starters (Blake Meade, Austin McKinney, Austin Gearheart, Allen Craynon, Seth Setser, Zach Keye, Clay Jamerson, and Justin Trout).

Prestonsburg's official 2008 Schedule...

Aug. 15 Clay County/Hazard -- Home (Scrimmage)
Aug. 22 Sheldon Clark -- Home (Scrimmage)
Aug. 30 Paintsville -- Home (Joe P. Tackett Bowl)
Sept. 5 Breathitt County -- Home
Sept. 12 Bath County -- Away (District Game)
Sept. 19 Lawrence County -- Away
Sept. 26 Morgan County -- Home (District Game)
Oct. 3 OPEN
Oct. 11 Beechwood -- Away
Oct. 17 Pikeville -- Home
Oct. 25 Cooper -- Away
Oct. 31 Shelby Valley -- Away (District Game)
Nov. 17 Perry Central -- Home

The Blackcats should have another great season, and best of luck to them!
blackcat_student Wrote:Blackcats will be coming back in 2008 returning a lot of talent, returning eight starters on offense (Justin Troutt, Allen Craynon, Dalton Fulks, Seth Setser, Micheal Burchett, Austin Gearheart, Matt Sword, and Zach Bragg). The Blackcat defense returns 7 starters (Blake Meade, Austin McKinney, Austin Gearheart, Allen Craynon, Seth Setser, Zach Keye, and Justin Troutt).

Don't forget about Clay Jamerson who had over 100 tackles this year, he will be back next year as part of that stout senior class Pburg will have.
Redneck Wrote:Don't forget about Clay Jamerson who had over 100 tackles this year, he will be back next year as part of that stout senior class Pburg will have.

I knew I left someone out... Sorry Clay.
I didn't see Meade's name on the roster this year. Did he play this season?
gotcha2 Wrote:I didn't see Meade's name on the roster this year. Did he play this season?

He practiced all year and quit about three weeks before the season started, then he decided to come back around the third or fourth week of the season.
blackcat_student Wrote:Blackcats will be coming back in 2008 returning a lot of talent, returning eight starters on offense (Justin Troutt, Allen Craynon, Dalton Fulks, Seth Setser, Micheal Burchett, Austin Gearheart, Matt Sword, and Zach Bragg). The Blackcat defense returns 8 starters (Blake Meade, Austin McKinney, Austin Gearheart, Allen Craynon, Seth Setser, Zach Keye, Clay Jamerson, and Justin Troutt).

Sounds as if they have alot of players returning and i think they will be fun and should win there district and i hope that they get us back on the schedule.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Looks like Prestonsburg has the potential to go 9-1. Can't complain about that. The thing that is really going to hurt Prestonsburg is the fact that they have a weak district. Competing against teams such as Morgan Co, Bath Co, and Shelby Valley is not going to help them come playoff time. But I do commend the staff for throwing in teams such as Beechwood, Breathitt Co, and Pikeville which should help them toughen up. Does anyone know what Breathitt and Beechwood have returning?
BCF4L Wrote:Looks like Prestonsburg has the potential to go 9-1. Can't complain about that. The thing that is really going to hurt Prestonsburg is the fact that they have a weak district. Competing against teams such as Morgan Co, Bath Co, and Shelby Valley is not going to help them come playoff time. But I do commend the staff for throwing in teams such as Beechwood, Breathitt Co, and Pikeville which should help them toughen up. Does anyone know what Breathitt and Beechwood have returning?

I know Breathitt Co. lost the Fugate Boys, unless one is younger then the other. I know that the QB was a senior. But Justin Haddix's little brother I'm pretty sure is going to take his place. So if he's anything like his brother, Breathitt should be just fine next year.
Breathitt Co. will be down next season. They lost a lot to graduation. Fugate, Jackson, Turner, Morgan, Combs, Epperson, Noble, Johnson, Hearld. Don't look for them to be a contender in the mountains.
Thanks a bunch Gish. And like you said, if younger Haddix is anything like Justin, then watch out for Breathitt Co, cuz Justin was an absolute beast.
It takes more that QB to put a good football team on the field. They need to improve on their strength in the weight room and their blocking and tackling. I agree that Jade has the talent to be a good QB but just because his brother was a good one don’t mean that he will be as successful.
good luck this year!!
Good Luck Cats!
State Champs Wrote:I agree that Jade has the talent to be a good QB but just because his brother was a good one don’t mean that he will be as successful.

I know nothing about him , only that he is Justin's brother. And like I said IF he is anything like him then he will be fine, not that he will be just for the mere fact he is.
Another solid schedule for the Blackcats.
Should be a Final Four team in 2a with the backs they return
Beechwood looses a lot. The QB graduates and they also loose Bankamper at tailback. I am not sure about up front, but I do know that they loose a few lineman. Beechwood is one of those teams though that will reload. They don't have rebuilding seasons, they usually have players that can step right in and play.
BurntTires Wrote:Another solid schedule for the Blackcats.
Solid?
2 or 3 good teams doesn't make it solid, unless you are talking about making sure of a winning season.
And all everybody wants to do is put down Paintsville's schedule???Rolleyes
The Guru Wrote:Solid?
2 or 3 good teams doesn't make it solid, unless you are talking about making sure of a winning season.
And all everybody wants to do is put down Paintsville's schedule???Rolleyes

Well no Prestonsburg ensures a winning season by busting their butts during the off-season. At Prestonsburg they do both football AND basketball or football AND wrestling or football AND track or baseball. They don't wait until they have nothing else to do before lifting weights and conditioning. Something maybe Paintsville should try. Things may have changed there so I could be wrong.

Anyways....Morgan, Valley and Bath are all district games. That leaves 7 spots to fill. Sometimes you have to take what games you can get..All these games were part of 2 year deals, and with the exception of Betsy Layne, all the teams were looking at solid years as they almost always do. Its not Derosett's fault that Lawrence Co. and Paintsville weren't very good last year and probably not looking at being much better this year. And then you have Pikeville, Breathitt Co., Beechwood, and Perry Central. 3 of those teams spent some time in the mountain top 10 last year, and Beechwood won Single A. So yes another SOLID schedule for Prestonsburg. Not the hardest they've ever had, but much better then you obviously want to give credit for.
If anyone is curious why Betsy Layne is still on the schedule is because it will bring a lot of money to the Bobcats football program. And I think thats a great move by John Derrossett because Betsy Layne was his first coaching job.

Just helping out another Floyd County team.
Looks as though P-Burg will be loaded.
I think Pbug will easily win their district and make another run toward louisville
get off the tracks cause the freight trains comin
Pburg is gonna be TOUGH. I talked to Seth Setser's dad today and he said they have been bustin it in the weightroom. They are a determined group of boys and coaches to get back to Louisville, and not just for a region playoff game. I can't wait for the Beechwood game.
They are very determined group of kids. This should be a season to remember.
Redneck Wrote:Pburg is gonna be TOUGH. I talked to Seth Setser's dad today and he said they have been bustin it in the weightroom. They are a determined group of boys and coaches to get back to Louisville, and not just for a region playoff game. I can't wait for the Beechwood game.

As good as Seth, Alan, and Nathan are, it won't matter unless the offensive line continues to get better. There was noticable improvement last year overall, but consistancy was still lacking at times (especially late in games).

To improve the OL must be able to go 8 deep without a significant dropoff in ability. Without that kind of depth, linemen start grabbing and the feet don't move.
oneijoe Wrote:As good as Seth, Alan, and Nathan are, it won't matter unless the offensive line continues to get better. There was noticable improvement last year overall, but consistancy was still lacking at times (especially late in games).

To improve the OL must be able to go 8 deep without a significant dropoff in ability. Without that kind of depth, linemen start grabbing and the feet don't move.

Good point, they will have some sophomore linemen step up in C.C. Thompson and Michael Crow, but the Trout boy will have too get more meat on his bones too play tackle. Dalton Fulks is getting bigger and should be a big improvement at the guard position. Zach Bragg will be the leader of this line in the '08 season as he also continues to get bigger.

Should be a pretty good offensive line... I think it will be interesting to see how Derrossett uses freshman athlete Joseph Jamerson this upcoming season.
blackcat_student Wrote:I think it will be interesting to see how Derrossett uses freshman athlete Joseph Jamerson this upcoming season.

Joseph will be the back-up QB behind Micheal, but any time he sees on the field will be at WR or Safety. Just depends on how much he grows-up between now and August. He has got to become more aggressive.
I only see three teams on P-burgs schedule that have a shot to beat them. Breathitt, Pikeville, and Beechwood.
Good luck next year P'burg. I can see them doing really good, next year they will probally make it back to the state simis and maybe even make it to the state championship. They will probally win most of all there games. I can see them loseing to Breathitt Co and Beechwood. And Possibly to Pikeville. But good luck next year.