Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Loses Starting Guard
Pikeville's star sophomore, Gatlin Clark, has quit the team. Does anyone have any comments on this one?
That's a shame if it is true. That team would have really caused some confusion in the District Tournament.
From what Ive been told it all started at the Jenkins game saturday night when he fouled out and as he was going to the bench an assistant coach started yelling at him. If thats the case Im not sure I blame the kid.
wow this is a real shame.
I don't think names are appropriate for this thread, the person/persons involved know who they are and I'm sure Coach Williams will handle the matter effectively and quickly.
Lets keep names out of this, most of this shouldn't be discussed in a public forum so lets keep things under wraps.

Posts the discuss information that doesn't need to be known publicly will be deleted.
hold your head up gatlin. class act kid with solid character foundation. always hustles.
hammertime Wrote:Pikeville's star sophomore, Gatlin Clark, has quit the team due to an unwarranted verbal attack from an unamed assistant coach. Does anyone have any comments on this one?

Star? Not even close, yet. Could be some day if he learns to take "unwarranted verbal attacks" from coaches, lol.
sponci Wrote:hold your head up gatlin. class act kid with solid character foundation. always hustles.
Yes he is.
Gatlain is a awsome player and always husstled and left all in the gym in prac and games. Pikeville may suffe or may not.
On-And-On-Again Wrote:Gatlain is a awsome player and always husstled and left all in the gym in prac and games. Pikeville may suffe or may not.
Yea lol that's how it usually works.Wink
This thread is being watched closely due to inaccuracies that have been posted.

Follow the rules and do not post false information based on what you "heard".

Unwarranted verbal attacks are not allowed on players or coaches!
Have played with him at the Y, heck of a player, hate this for Pikeville, definitely knocks them down the ladder a bit for contention in the 15th.
ahhh c'mon people. This stuff happens all the time. They'll all "kiss and make up" and everything will be fine. No need to drag it all over the place on here. The kid is a good kid and he'll be fine. Let's just all give it a rest. I have every confidence that Coach Williams probably already has this under control. He didn't just fall of the truck.
Lisa Douglas Wrote:ahhh c'mon people. This stuff happens all the time. They'll all "kiss and make up" and everything will be fine. No need to drag it all over the place on here. The kid is a good kid and he'll be fine. Let's just all give it a rest. I have every confidence that Coach Williams probably already has this under control. He didn't just fall of the truck.
As an observer, Coach W and Gatlin haven't ever really been on the same page. Gatlin was indefinitely suspended a couple summers ago, and that got blown out of proportion. And nothing has changed since last night.
Sometimes players MUST realize that the coach is the one in charge.
If a player dictates the way things work then the coach is no longer in control and the team will end up in tumoil...I have seen it happen too many times.

Always remember sports fans, "There is no i in team!!!"
He shot the ball very well against us(East Ridge), and its a shame to see him quit. But things happen, maybe it isn't the reasons everyone thinks, maybe it is smething personal. I don't know, but its a thought.
I hope he comes back really good player this kid is.
Was the game close when the incident happened?
Well Pikeville will still be a good team without him. If he comes back fine, if he don't fine. Only the coaches and himself know what went on and who was right or wrong. However, if he did quit, I hope it was worth it to him because I hate to see starting players leave their team this late in the year. It only hurts the team.
I know coach very well and see him practically every day. I'm sure whatever happens in the matter is for the best and I'll stand behind all decisions as should the fans.
first of all, none of the coaches cussed him out or said anything out of the way.
clark got in a verbal fight with one of his team mates after the game and got mad at the coacher all because they were giving him constructive criticism. nothing out of the way said, they were just trying to help him understand what he did wrong and how he could do it better. he has a hard head and didn't want to listen to what they had to say and blew up and quit. imo if he's going to be like that, pville doesn't need him on their team.
Good luck to pville the rest of the season and keep your heads up.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Sometimes players MUST realize that the coach is the one in charge.
If a player dictates the way things work then the coach is no longer in control and the team will end up in tumoil...I have seen it happen too many times.

Always remember sports fans, "There is no i in team!!!"

The bad part is that so many kids today feel that the two most important letters in TEAM is ME.
[INDENT]
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:From what Ive been told it all started at the Jenkins game saturday night when he fouled out and as he was going to the bench an assistant coach started yelling at him. If thats the case Im not sure I blame the kid.
This is still no excuse to quit the team....everyone knows before they start playing sports that you are gonna get yelled at and chewed out time to time, thats just sports....if the kid is gonna quit all because the coach yelled at him then he is without a doubt a bad team mate and is only hurting his fellow ball players....

[/INDENT]
The really sad part of this is that the rest of the team will suffer, maybe. He is the youngest starter on the team and he earned that position. Now, all that time he was starting and getting playing time has been wasted. There are others that would have loved to have his position. Here they are the week before tourney time and he just up and quits? If he didn't want to play NEXT year, ok, but finish what you start. He has let Tim, Matt, Devin and Jordan down as well as the rest of the team. My opinion, eventhough he may have been corrected, cussed at, which I don't believe, if so, no more than any other player on the team, he should suck it up for the next two weeks. When you play on a team, it's not all about you, it's about the team. SAD!!
If I had quit when a coach yelled at me I wouldn't have made it through my first practice.
Right On.
bball*fan Wrote:first of all, none of the coaches cussed him out or said anything out of the way.
clark got in a verbal fight with one of his team mates after the game and got mad at the coacher all because they were giving him constructive criticism. nothing out of the way said, they were just trying to help him understand what he did wrong and how he could do it better. he has a hard head and didn't want to listen to what they had to say and blew up and quit. imo if he's going to be like that, pville doesn't need him on their team.
Good luck to pville the rest of the season and keep your heads up.
He didn't "blow up and quit". It was a long talk before it happened. So, please don't start false things. It wasn't an "all of a sudden thing".
Panther Thunder Wrote:He didn't "blow up and quit". It was a long talk before it happened. So, please don't start false things. It wasn't an "all of a sudden thing".

Even so, to quit this late in the season is a bad way to do your team mates and school. A kid don't have to play and you don't have to continue to play, but you should finish out what you started unless there is an injury or illness or other unexpected event that would keep you from it.

I know when Daniel Meade quit at Paintsville it took a couple of weeks to totally adjust and he wasn't even a starter. And the Tigers have gotten in better condition since then, but not having that tall 7th senior does take a toll. But he wanted to quit and at least he did it earlier in the season.
Just like Arnold said...I'll be backSmile...Clark will be back..