Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluegrassrivals.com Boys Basketball Top 5 (January 21)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throughout the season BGR will be doing a top 5 from areas around the state as decided upon the staff. The results will be posted each Sunday evening.

The 3 areas are West/Southern Kentucky (Regions 1-5), Central/Metro Kentucky (Regions 6-12) and Eastern Kentucky (13-16)

Staff casts votes for the top 5 in each area. A first place vote gets 5 points, a second place gets 4, third place gets 3, fourth place gets 2 points, and a fifth place vote gets 1 point. The rankings then go by highest points per area voted upon.

Results and rankings as of 01-21-08 are....

Western/Southern Kentucky

1)Muhlenberg North
2)University Heights
3)Adair County
4)Paducah Tighlman
5)Marshall County

Bluegrass/Central Kentucky

1)Bryan Station
2)Mason County
3)Lexington Catholic
4)Scott County
5)Eastern

Eastern Kentucky

1)Elliott County
2)Shelby Valley
3)Paintsville
4)June Buchanan
5)Corbin

*Feel free to discuss rankings...
blackcat_student Wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results and rankings as of 01-21-08 are....

Eastern Kentucky
1)Elliott County
2)Shelby Valley
3)Paintsville
4)June Buchanan
5)Corbin

*Feel free to discuss rankings...

And now need tweaked a lil bit.Wink
The Guru Wrote:And now need tweaked a lil bit.Wink
I don't think so.

Even with the loss to Rose Hill, Elliott IMO is still the top team in the east. Maybe Rose Hill needs some consideration. They are a much better team than their record would indicate.
There is not a better team in the East than June Buchanan...Three really good guards and two really good big men...They cause huge matchup problems for teams in the mountains....Maybe some on this list will get to meet in the ALL A and set the record straight...
FBALL Wrote:I don't think so.

Even with the loss to Rose Hill, Elliott IMO is still the top team in the east. Maybe Rose Hill needs some consideration. They are a much better team than their record would indicate.
I dont agree with you on Rose Hill...They have been terrible this year...They lost to Marshall by 16,Henry Clay by 23,Bath county by 18,Manual by 7 and LCA also....Plus the other 3 losses...I really cant see how they are better than their record indicates...
uk96 Wrote:I dont agree with you on Rose Hill...They have been terrible this year...They lost to Marshall by 16,Henry Clay by 23,Bath county by 18,Manual by 7 and LCA also....Plus the other 3 losses...I really cant see how they are better than their record indicates...

Those teams combined recored is 61-29... Your welcome.
FBALL Wrote:I don't think so.

So despite the fact they haven't beaten a ranked team (or any good teams outside EKY) while others have, and considering they lost to another EKY team which the others haven't they are still the best?

I just can't see that. The other top teams have played and beaten very good competition while winning all the games within their region. It's hard not to give the nod to a team that hasn't lost any bad games to a team that now has. I'm not saying Rose Hill is awful, but like I said if you're hyped to be the #5 team in the state you don't lose these games.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
blackcat_student Wrote:Those teams combined recored is 61-29... Your welcome.
Thank you.

Also Rose Hill has really played well the last couple of weeks. We all know about Euton committing to UK and Jackson posibly doing the same thing in the future both are just sophmores. Rose Hills role players have made huge strides through what has been a very difficult schedule to say the least. Moss Point MS is Very good. Centenial Ga I think was ranked second in their class in that state. Bath County is very good and very underrated. Marshall County is one of the top teams in Western KY.

Rose Hill is a team that has improved alot from the begining of the season (they were pretty darn good then too) until now. Don't underestimate Bath County either. They very well could end up in Richmond.
alfus21 Wrote:So despite the fact they haven't beaten a ranked team (or any good teams outside EKY) while others have, and considering they lost to another EKY team which the others haven't they are still the best?

I just can't see that. The other top teams have played and beaten very good competition while winning all the games within their region. It's hard not to give the nod to a team that hasn't lost any bad games to a team that now has.
I would say that Cov Cath and Rose Hill are very good competition. I find it very hard to believe that you can consider those two losses bad losses to bad team. As for the rest of the schedule. They beat Huntington High WV and have demolished everyone except East Carter who is also a very good team.

I'm not from Elliott County. Really don't even pull for them. I am also not from Shelby Valley, Paintsville, or Pippa Passes. I am probably looking at this more objectively than most because I don't have a tie to any of the top schools.

I have never seen a team play as hard as this group of kids from Elliott County. Not to many teams go undefeated through a basketball season. One loss in a close game that came down to the wire, to a team with two D1 recruits when Elliott shot 28% from the field, does not change my mind about them.
FBALL Wrote:I would say that Cov Cath and Rose Hill are very good competition. I find it very hard to believe that you can consider those two losses bad losses to bad team. As for the rest of the schedule. They beat Huntington High WV and have demolished everyone except East Carter who is also a very good team.

I'm not from Elliott County. Really don't even pull for them. I am also not from Shelby Valley, Paintsville, or Pippa Passes. I am probably looking at this more objectively than most because I don't have a tie to any of the top schools.

I have never seen a team play as hard as this group of kids from Elliott County. Not to many teams go undefeated through a basketball season. One loss in a close game that came down to the wire, to a team with two D1 recruits when Elliott shot 28% from the field, does not change my mind about them.

You just nailed it though. They lost to the decent teams they've played. The other teams have won against good competition (Male, Desales, Anderson County, Lincoln County) Right now Elliot County can't take claim to any real *great* wins on the season while the other big 3 can.

Just because they play hard doesn't make them the best. Maybe if they beat Mason County they'll impress me but right now they don't hold claim to any signature win that would or should impress anybody. JMO though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:You just nailed it though. They lost to the decent teams they've played. The other teams have won against good competition (Male, Desales, Anderson County, Lincoln County) Right now Elliot County can't take claim to any real *great* wins on the season while the other big 3 can.

Just because they play hard doesn't make them the best. Maybe if they beat Mason County they'll impress me but right now they don't hold claim to any signature win that would or should impress anybody. JMO though.
I never said decent. I said very good. Huge difference. I can buy Male maybe as a big win. The others definitely no.

I never said that playing hard is wht makes them good. Talent has taken care of that. Playing that hard is what makes them special.

You stick with your guys and I'll stick with Elliott. At the end of the season we will see how it all shakes out.
Things will change as the season goes on, but you seem already determined in that ECHS is the best in the east. You say unbiased, and yet you don't recognize a loss that they shouldn't have as having no impact on their ranking? Three other teams have played just as or a lot harder competitin without losing to someone that they should have beaten. You can give excuses for a loss, but it is still a loss. IMO JBS should be #1, followed by SVHS, then PHS and ECHS. It looks as though SVHS or PHS is going to suffer a loss this week as they are on a crash course with each other. After that game, it might shake up again.
FBALL Wrote:I can buy Male maybe as a big win. The others definitely no.

Smile Male *MAYBE* a decent win. Wow. They're ranked 8th in the state and they play in the 2nd toughest region in the state.

Desales is ranked in the top 15 in the state and at the top of the 6th Region.

Lincoln County is ranked #21 in the state and poised to win the 12th Region.

So right there are 3 wins over teams who have great chances to win their regions (6,7,12) all of which are very competitive.

Paintsville also beat ranked Tates Creek.

You call Male maybe a decent win, but earlier you insinuate that the win over East Carter was a good win.

Take off the shades man, right now Elliot County has no claim to being the best until they beat some of the best.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Eastern Kentucky
1 - Shelby Valley - good record against a very tough schedule and have not lost any games they should not have

2 - Paintsville - same as above

3 - June Buchanan - To be honest they fall short in 1 department and I'm not going there.

4/5 - Knox Central, Hazard, Letcher Central, Rose Hill, Elliott County, South Laurel
alfus21 Wrote:Smile Male *MAYBE* a decent win. Wow. They're ranked 8th in the state and they play in the 2nd toughest region in the state.

Desales is ranked in the top 15 in the state and at the top of the 6th Region.

Lincoln County is ranked #21 in the state and poised to win the 12th Region.

So right there are 3 wins over teams who have great chances to win their regions (6,7,12) all of which are very competitive.

Paintsville also beat ranked Tates Creek.

You call Male maybe a decent win, but earlier you insinuate that the win over East Carter was a good win.

Take off the shades man, right now Elliot County has no claim to being the best until they beat some of the best.

See, there you go again. I never said decent. I said a big win. Even though Male has dropped their last two game s to Eastern and Seneca. There is HUGE difference between a 'decent win" and a "big win"

Lets do some more comparisons. :

Dupont Manual, a team some critisize Rose Hill for losing to just beat Jeffersontown, Eastern and Desales all three in the span of two days in the LIT. I believe Desales was one of those "big wins" for JB and SV.

JB has played two really good teams and really never threatened. Mason and LC.

Shelby Valley was blown out by the only REALLY good team they have played. They do have good wins against Male and Desales and a Loss to Jeffersontown.

Paintsville has a decent win over Lincoln County but were blown away by LC.

All of that said nobody in the top 5 in Regions 13 -16 would be anywhere in the top 5 if they were in the Central KY region of this poll.

I just don't think one loss to a good team on a bad night changes the fact that Elliott County is a very good basketball team. I stand by that.
FBALL Wrote:See, there you go again. I never said decent. I said a big win. Even though Male has dropped their last two game s to Eastern and Seneca. There is HUGE difference between a 'decent win" and a "big win"

Lets do some more comparisons. :

Dupont Manual, a team some critisize Rose Hill for losing to just beat Jeffersontown, Eastern and Desales all three in the span of two days in the LIT. I believe Desales was one of those "big wins" for JB and SV.

JB has played two really good teams and really never threatened. Mason and LC.

Shelby Valley was blown out by the only REALLY good team they have played. They do have good wins against Male and Desales and a Loss to Jeffersontown.

Paintsville has a decent win over Lincoln County but were blown away by LC.

All of that said nobody in the top 5 in Regions 13 -16 would be anywhere in the top 5 if they were in the Central KY region of this poll.

I just don't think one loss to a good team on a bad night changes the fact that Elliott County is a very good basketball team. I stand by that.

Elliott has played 19 games, all but 5 being in the 16th.

Christian County - 5-13

North Oldham - 8-6

Covington Catholic - 13-5 - Loss

Huntington High - 6-6

Grace Academy Tenn. - I cannot find a record.

They have beat NO ONE of significance, and if they wanted to be taken serious they would have upgraded the schedule.
JBS #4 in Eastern Kentucky. Now that has to be a joke.
Nomercy Wrote:JBS #4 in Eastern Kentucky. Now that has to be a joke.

Who they beat?

To be honest until the COACHING STAFF proves they are about winning big games instead of padding certain stats thats where they will stay.
NEXT Wrote:Who they beat?

To be honest until the COACHING STAFF proves they are about winning big games instead of padding certain stats thats where they will stay.
Maybe on this informal thread...In the only two major papers in the state JBS is ranked #8 in the state....
I guess SV doesn't even belong in the top 5 now after a bad loss to a so so Pikeville team.

See, sounds pretty silly doesn't it.
FBALL Wrote:I guess SV doesn't even belong in the top 5 now after a bad loss to a so so Pikeville team.

See, sounds pretty silly doesn't it.

Yeah, actually it does. :eek:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
After you all have picked your top 5 in Eastern Kentucky can you see that JBS is #1 now.
Nomercy Wrote:After you all have picked your top 5 in Eastern Kentucky can you see that JBS is #1 now.

They have a legit shot if they defeat Hazard today.
Nomercy Wrote:After you all have picked your top 5 in Eastern Kentucky can you see that JBS is #1 now.

What about since they lost to Hazard?
Looks like the Top 5 in the east need to be fchanged for sure lol.
IMO after this week
1) Paintsville
2) Elliot
3) JBS
4) Shelby Valley
5) Corbin