Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Coordinators at Whitley
Whitley is rumored to be hiring both a new defensive coordinator and a new offensive coordinator. After going 4-17 since Coach Black has arrived, I suppose the administration has decided to try some new blood. Something needed to be done. Whitley had one of the worst offenses in the state last year and their defensive coordinator (their best and most seasoned coach) retired.

You have to wonder what the administration thinks Black is capable of doing since they are removing him from the offense where he worked last year and apparently making sure he is not very involved with the defense. I suppose they will find something he can do. It is a bad situation for sure but hopefully it will work out for the best.

Look for one or both of the new guys to be very senior since one of the two will most likely be the head coach after next season. Black has been given the ultimatum win or else. Considering the fact that in his seven seasons as a head coach, he has had five losing seasons including three 2 win seasons, the odds are not in his favor.

The new guys will be watched very carefully next year with regard to their ability to lead, work in the classroom and get along with other school personnel. Despite the fact that next year will probably be very dismal, in the big scheme of things, the administration is probably making a smart move since they will be able to avoid the embarrassment of firing a coach after only two fruitless seasons and they will be able to provide the new coach a year of on the job training.
Coach Black must really need the job because any real coach would not let the administration do the coaching for him. If he's not getting the job done then he should be let go or resign. All they are doing is tying his hands and setting him up for failure. If they lose he's gone. If they win he's gone. It's a no win situation for him. I'm a Whitley County graduate and would love to see them start winning again but if the administration is not behind the coach it won't happen.
If he cared about the kids or if he had a great deal of integrity, IMO he would have resigned especially after going 4-17 over the past two years. I guess he just wants to hang on to the job for the cash.

The administration is doing him a great favor by letting him stay and trying to get him some help. If he and the principal were not very good friends he would have been fired.

It is not just the losing, the numbers are at an all time low (less than 30 varsity players in a school with over 1250 students). The morale is low. The kids were actually fighting (throwing punches) each other in the huddle last year. The assistants did not get along. There were incidents in thestands between parents and the coaching staffs significant others. In some cases, some of these significant others even engaged in verbal arguments (taunts, cussing back and forth) with players from the opposing teams.

It was a long and embarrassing season on the field, in the stands, in the locker room and in the huddle at Whitley. Black is lucky to get another, the previous coach for fired for only winning 4 (twice as many wins as Black has been to earn in a season) games in his a season (his worst season in over a decade).

Things do not appear to be much better in the off season. Despite the poor numbers, Black continues to demean kids and run them off based on his personal feelings about them or their parents. Some casees are too obscene and bazarr to even mention on the internet since both felony and civil charges could possibly be filed.

So all in all, Black is lucky to be there. Hopefully the new faces will help get things straight and Whitley will move forth on a positive note . I wish him luck.