Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mid-Season 58th District Outlook as of 1/17/08
Thoughts??

IMO things have changed drastically...BL has added Newman(6'8 big man) and Adam Slone(6'1 swingman that can play)...

BL's lineup could look like this before season's end...

Brennan Case
Samuel Keathley
Adam Slone
Josh Head
Jared Newman

Subs

J.Lafferty
D.Maldonado
N.Martin
R.Tackett
Jordan Newman

Call me crazy, but this lineup looks very scary for the rest of the district...IF all falls into place...

IMO any team in the district will have to play some very good basketball to beat this team...

AC- Hammonds, Crum, Prater, and the Crowders
P-Burg- Hall, Burchett, Stephens, and Tackett
SF is very down..

AC has the best opp. and chance to play with and or beat BL come tourney time...MHO:thumpsup:
uhavenoidea Wrote:Thoughts??

IMO things have changed drastically...BL has added Newman(6'8 big man) and Adam Slone(6'1 swingman that can play)...

Brennan Case
Samuel Keathley
Adam Slone
Josh Head
Jared Newman

Subs

J.Lafferty
D.Maldonado
N.Martin
R.Tackett
Jordan Newman

Call me crazy, but this lineup looks very scary for the rest of the district...IF all falls into place...

IMO any team in the district will have to play some very good basketball to beat this team...

SF is very down..

AC has the best opp. and chance to play with and or beat BL come tourney time...MHO:thumpsup:

Do you think he will be in good enough shape to help, or will he throw off any chemistry they had. IMO AC is the best team in that district, the Crum kid is lights out from behind the arc.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Thoughts??

Brennan Case
Samuel Keathley
Adam Slone
Josh Head
Jared Newman

Subs

J.Lafferty
D.Maldonado
N.Martin
R.Tackett
Jordan Newman

SF is very down..

WOW!!!!!!! IS all I got to say! This team could win the 15th if the contenders don't bring their A game when they play the bobcats, let alone the 58th. Don't forget the Tibbs kid either. They could go 10 or 11 deep and not lose a whole lot IMO. I hope Coach Hall can get their chemistry together come tourny time. I am officially excited for the men on the hill if its true about Slone and Newman. GOOD LUCK on the rest of the season. Finish up the season, winning the rest of your district games, and that should put you in a codlock for 1st place in the conference. Win that first game to put you into the Regionals, and then start taking one game at a time. Best of Luck to BL, as well as all of Floyd County. Should be an exciting February and March!
slingblade93 Wrote:Do you think he will be in good enough shape to help, or will he throw off any chemistry they had. IMO AC is the best team in that district, the Crum kid is lights out from behind the arc.

Id say Jared has been running or doing sumthing...They didnt have no chemistry there like 4 or so games below .500...Even if he aint been running he's 6'8 so it wont take many steps for him to get down the courtBig Grin ...Right now, AC is the best team in the district...But, its gonna take more than Crum(lone consistent shooter for AC) to beat the Bobcats come District Tour.
Betsy Layne may have gotten Newman back but I don't think he will make that big of a difference. People on here are making him look better than he really is, if anyone would remember from seasons past, he could barley make a lay-up and he usually fouled out. And Jared Newman is no 6'8. He is 6'5 maybe 6'6, he is no 6'8. I have nothing against him or Betsy Layne but there just making Newman sound better than he really is.

As for the 58th District...

Allen Central is the best team, they can compete with any team in the Mountains and they have one of the better 3 point shooters in the area as well.

Prestonsburg is still the second best team in the district and now that the football players have gotten into basketball shape they have really played well and there scoring a lot more now than they where earlier in the season. When Austin Gearheart gets into basketball shape from his injury he could be another solid weapon that Prestonsburg has.

Betsy Layne is still hasn't gotten over that hump, they should be somewhat better after getting Newman back but I don't know how much better. But they need someone to step up and start knocking shots down, and the only person that I know of on that team that is capable of doing so is Samuel Keathley but he has been cold all season. If he would slow down his shot instead of rushing it everytime then the Bobcats could be a real dangerous team. But it will take the Bobcats awhile to get Newman into basketball shape.

South Floyd struggles because they go down the court and fire up a 3. Raiders THERE IS NO SHOT CLOCK IN HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL, set up a play for Akers and let him take control of your offense. South Floyd does not have that big man this season which really hurts them cause they cannot rebound very well at all. But the Raiders have potential but it seems like no one knows how to play team basketball on that whole team.

IMO, Allen Central wins the district tournament with Prestonsburg finishing as the runners-up.

Good luck to all the 58th District teams!
100%SUCCESS Wrote:WOW!!!!!!! IS all I got to say! This team could win the 15th if the contenders don't bring their A game when they play the bobcats, let alone the 58th. Don't forget the Tibbs kid either. They could go 10 or 11 deep and not lose a whole lot IMO. I hope Coach Hall can get their chemistry together come tourny time. I am officially excited for the men on the hill if its true about Slone and Newman. GOOD LUCK on the rest of the season. Finish up the season, winning the rest of your district games, and that should put you in a codlock for 1st place in the conference. Win that first game to put you into the Regionals, and then start taking one game at a time. Best of Luck to BL, as well as all of Floyd County. Should be an exciting February and March!

Your exactly right, I did forget Bryant Tibbs(6'2 or so, pretty decent player)...Sorry about that...I wouldnt say right away that they have the conf. locked up...BUT, i will say come tourn. time in the 58th...This could and should be Brian Hall:1: :wenumber1:champ: ...and this would be the BL fans:theman:...If this happens then Brian Hall could be at BL for a long-time and he will instantly have the repect of the fans from BL...They will think they have found their savior for bringing them their first district title in a decade or so...
Pepper Wrote:Betsy Layne may have gotten Newman back but I don't think he will make that big of a difference. People on here are making him look better than he really is, if anyone would remember from seasons past, he could barley make a lay-up and he usually fouled out. And Jared Newman is no 6'8. He is 6'5 maybe 6'6, he is no 6'8. I have nothing against him or Betsy Layne but there just making Newman sound better than he really is.

Allen Central is the best team, they can compete with any team in the Mountains and they have one of the better 3 point shooters in the area as well.

Prestonsburg is still the second best team in the district and now that the football players have gotten into basketball shape they have really played well and there scoring a lot more now than they where earlier in the season. When Austin Gearheart gets into basketball shape from his injury he could be another solid weapon that Prestonsburg has.

Betsy Layne is still hasn't gotten over that hump, they should be somewhat better after getting Newman back but I don't know how much better. But they need someone to step up and start knocking shots down, and the only person that I know of on that team that is capable of doing so is Samuel Keathley but he has been cold all season. If he would slow down his shot instead of rushing it everytime then the Bobcats could be a real dangerous team. But it will take the Bobcats awhile to get Newman into basketball shape.

South Floyd struggles because they go down the court and fire up a 3. Raiders THERE IS NO SHOT CLOCK IN HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL, set up a play for Akers and let him take control of your offense. South Floyd does not have that big man this season which really hurts them cause they cannot rebound very well at all. But the Raiders have potential but it seems like no one knows how to play team basketball on that whole team.

IMO, Allen Central wins the district tournament with Prestonsburg finishing as the runners-up.

I happen to disagree. 1st) They also got Slone back, which adds another scoring threat to the Bobcats, and another person the defense will be concerned with. 2nd) Newman may not be awesome, or not even good, we'll see. But he is a big boy with a big body, whether it be 6' 8, 6 '7, or 6' 4 for that matter. He's still a big boy that takes up a lot of space in the paint. His presence alone is enough to contribute to the defense, rebounding, offense and the game in general in Betsy Layne's favor. 3rd) they also have the head boy, which did pretty well against AC the first matchup by himself. Now throw Newman in the mix, and thats too much size for AC or the 58th to contend with JMO.
Pepper Wrote:Betsy Layne may have gotten Newman back but I don't think he will make that big of a difference. People on here are making him look better than he really is, if anyone would remember from seasons past, he could barley make a lay-up and he usually fouled out. And Jared Newman is no 6'8. He is 6'5 maybe 6'6, he is no 6'8. I have nothing against him or Betsy Layne but there just making Newman sound better than he really is.

Jared Newman is no 6'5 or 6'6...Devin Adams from Pikeville is 6'10 and he is not 5 inches taller than Newman...Newman is def. around 6'8...Do me a favor when you see Newman...PLZ stand next to him!Big Grin
100%SUCCESS Wrote:I happen to disagree. 1st) They also got Slone back, which adds another scoring threat to the Bobcats, and another person the defense will be concerned with. 2nd) Newman may not be awesome, or not even good, we'll see. But he is a big boy with a big body, whether it be 6' 8, 6 '7, or 6' 4 for that matter. He's still a big boy that takes up a lot of space in the paint. His presence alone is enough to contribute to the defense, rebounding, offense and the game in general in Betsy Layne's favor. 3rd) they also have the head boy, which did pretty well against AC the first matchup by himself. Now throw Newman in the mix, and thats too much size for AC or the 58th to contend with JMO.

Honestly I don't even know who the Slone boys even is. If you could enlighten me it would be appreciated.

I think it will be a interesting match-up when Prestonsburg & Betsy Layne meet back up because there more even then Betsy Layne & Allen Central. The match-up between the two 58th big men Nathaniel Stephens and Jared Newman should be interesting. But right now Prestonsburg is the better team.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Jared Newman is no 6'5 or 6'6...Devin Adams from Pikeville is 6'10 and he is not 5 inches taller than Newman...Newman is def. around 6'8...Do me a favor when you see Newman...PLZ stand next to him!Big Grin

Last year in the district tournament when Newman and Prestonsburg's Trevor Patton where match-up that Patton was around 1 or 2 inches taller. And Patton is 6'7.

Unless Newman has grown then I don't think that he is 6'8.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Your exactly right, I did forget Bryant Tibbs(6'2 or so, pretty decent player)...Sorry about that...I wouldnt say right away that they have the conf. locked up...BUT, i will say come tourn. time in the 58th...This could and should be Brian Hall:1: :wenumber1:champ: ...and this would be the BL fans:theman:...If this happens then Brian Hall could be at BL for a long-time and he will instantly have the repect of the fans from BL...They will think they have found their savior for bringing them their first district title in a decade or so...

I didn't say they had the conference locked up! I said since them, Ac, and Pburg is all 2-1, that if they win the rest of their conference games, then they will have it locked up! BUT otherwise, agree with your post lol.
Pepper Wrote:Honestly I don't even know who the Slone boys even is. If you could enlighten me it would be appreciated.

I think it will be a interesting match-up when Prestonsburg & Betsy Layne meet back up because there more even then Betsy Layne & Allen Central. The match-up between the two 58th big men Nathaniel Stephens and Jared Newman should be interesting. But right now Prestonsburg is the better team.
Slone was one of the better players for South Floyd last year! He's quick, big for his ball handling ability, and not sure about his shot. I haven't seen him play this year. And Nathaniel may be able to handle Newman a little bit, but then BL also has Head which is around 6' 5, can post pretty good and is another big boy to contain. So who will be on him. I don't see Pburg being the better team in this matchup, but I could be wrong.
100%SUCCESS Wrote:I didn't say they had the conference locked up! I said since them, Ac, and Pburg is all 2-1, that if they win the rest of their conference games, then they will have it locked up! BUT otherwise, agree with your post lol.

If any of those teams win out don't they win the district?
slingblade93 Wrote:If any of those teams win out don't they win the district?

Yes!Smile...Good Point!:thumpsup:
100%SUCCESS Wrote:Slone was one of the better players for South Floyd last year! He's quick, big for his ball handling ability, and not sure about his shot. I haven't seen him play this year. And Nathaniel may be able to handle Newman a little bit, but then BL also has Head which is around 6' 5, can post pretty good and is another big boy to contain. So who will be on him. I don't see Pburg being the better team in this matchup, but I could be wrong.

Just back from injury Austin Gearheart or Michael Burchett. There both 6'2 or 6'3.
Things should get more interesting, Betsy Layne will have more depth but IMO, they need to find someone that can put up around 20 each game to be able to become a serious threat in the district.
Pepper Wrote:Just back from injury Austin Gearheart or Michael Burchett. There both 6'2 or 6'3.

Michael Burchett is a pretty good player, but cant rebound with Newman(6'7 or 6'8), Head(6'4), Tibbs(6'2), Slone(6'1)(SF's second leading rebounder last year), and the others from BL and as far as Gearheart goes he doesnt look to have very much basketball IQ. BL from now on will out-rebound every team in the district, by 10 or more prolly...BL just has to much size now...
blackcat_student Wrote:Things should get more interesting, Betsy Layne will have more depth but IMO, they need to find someone that can put up around 20 each game to be able to become a serious threat in the district.

You dont need a constant 20pt. scorer...When tourney time comes, BL will have 4 or 5 players that can put up 20 or more in a single game for BL...IMO BL will play together and play as a team...I know these boys and they are on a mission to get back on the 58th dist. and 15th region map...They will have 4 or more players in double figures every night.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Michael Burchett is a pretty good player, but cant rebound with Newman(6'7 or 6'8), Head(6'4), Tibbs(6'2), Slone(6'1)(SF's second leading rebounder last year), and the others from BL and as far as Gearheart goes he doesnt look to have very much basketball IQ. BL from now on will out-rebound every team in the district, by 10 or more prolly...BL just has to much size now...

Michael Burchett is one of the better rebounder's in the district. He can jump with anyone, as for the Gearheart boy, I hear that he is pretty athletic and can jump also but his ankle isn't 100% just yet.
Pepper Wrote:Michael Burchett is one of the better rebounder's in the district. He can jump with anyone, as for the Gearheart boy, I hear that he is pretty athletic and can jump also but his ankle isn't 100% just yet.

Im sure Burchett is a good rebounder...But with the size of BL it will be very tough..Gearheart can jump and is athletic, but it takes more than that(you also have to factor know-how into his situation).
uhavenoidea Wrote:You dont need a constant 20pt. scorer...When tourney time comes, BL will have 4 or 5 players that can put up 20 or more in a single game for BL...IMO BL will play together and play as a team...I know these boys and they are on a mission to get back on the 58th dist. and 15th region map...They will have 4 or more players in double figures every night.

I'm talking about one player that can consistently score 20+ every night out. And I seriously doubt that there are 4 or 5 players on Betsy Layne that can score 20 points each night. Betsy Layne is still an average team with everyone back, there no Paintsville or Shelby Valley.

I think your a little too excited about Newman being back.
blackcat_student Wrote:I'm talking about one player that can consistently score 20+ every night out. And I seriously doubt that there are 4 or 5 players on Betsy Layne that can score 20 points each night. Betsy Layne is still an average team with everyone back, there no Paintsville or Shelby Valley.

With what I seen of Shelby Valley the other night against Pike Central, they are nothing to hang your hat up about.
BL will not have 4 or more players in double figures every night, thats pretty hard to do, the only real scoring threats for them is newman, and they will work their offense around him. Hes a good player but not as good as people are making him out to be, jmo
uhavenoidea Wrote:Im sure Burchett is a good rebounder...But with the size of BL it will be very tough..Gearheart can jump and is athletic, but it takes more than that(you also have to factor know-how into his situation).

Burchett is one of the smarter people you will ever meet whether it be in the classroom, on the field, or on the court. Trust me this kid knows how.

blackcat_student Wrote:I'm talking about one player that can consistently score 20+ every night out. And I seriously doubt that there are 4 or 5 players on Betsy Layne that can score 20 points each night. Betsy Layne is still an average team with everyone back, there no Paintsville or Shelby Valley.

Good point.

Each of the above average players have that stand out player.

Example: Paintsville has Landon Slone, and Valley has Elisha Justice.

I didnt say that they all could score 20 in the same game...I was saying that either one of them is capable of a 20pt. game. I said 4 or 5 will avg. double figures for BL. Once again, your putting words in my mouth, I didnt say that they was as good as Paintsville or SV...But, they will from here on out work there way up and by the time the postseason they could be right there...Your right BL is still an avg. team RIGHT NOW...IMO by the middle of feb. this team could be in the Top 3 in the region. I am not overly excited about Newman being back, Im just very anxious about tourney time and I know that BL could be in business and have what they've been missing.
100%SUCCESS Wrote:With what I seen of Shelby Valley the other night against Pike Central, they are nothing to hang your hat up about.

They haven't played that great lately but I watched this team beat Louisville Male, trust me thats good enough to hang a hat on. Plus they've defeated South Miami Senior, and Binghamton, NY. Thats pretty darn good if you ask me.
uhavenoidea Wrote:I didnt say that they all could score 20 in the same game...I was saying that either one of them is capable of a 20pt. game. I said 4 or 5 will avg. double figures for BL. Once again, your putting words in my mouth, I didnt say that they was as good as Paintsville or SV...But, they will from here on out work there way up and by the time the postseason they could be right there...Your right BL is still an avg. team RIGHT NOW...IMO by the middle of feb. this team could be in the Top 3 in the region. I am not overly excited about Newman being back, Im just very anxious about tourney time and I know that BL could be in business and have what they've been missing.

GOOD POST! Should be an exciting month of February
Pepper Wrote:Burchett is one of the smarter people you will ever meet whether it be in the classroom, on the field, or on the court. Trust me this kid knows how.

Good point.

Each of the above average players have that stand out player.

Example: Paintsville has Landon Slone, and Valley has Elisha Justice.

IMO I'd rather have 6 or 7 that play well together and with either one of them being able to drop 20 on a given night, then to have the jealousy. Just look at UNC's team when Michael Jordan played, Dean Smith wouldnt let anyone be a star and score 20+...There is nobody on this earth that honestly thought Michael Jordan would have been as great as he was...
they are an average team, but with newman they will get better, but not as good as some are saying, the 58th will be interesting though, i still say AC is gonna win it, they have been playing great lately as a team, winning 4 of their last 5 games, and the only game they lost was to Belfry in OT, when AC had a previous game that morning
uhavenoidea Wrote:I didnt say that they all could score 20 in the same game...I was saying that either one of them is capable of a 20pt. game. I said 4 or 5 will avg. double figures for BL. Once again, your putting words in my mouth, I didnt say that they was as good as Paintsville or SV...But, they will from here on out work there way up and by the time the postseason they could be right there...Your right BL is still an avg. team RIGHT NOW...IMO by the middle of feb. this team could be in the Top 3 in the region. I am not overly excited about Newman being back, Im just very anxious about tourney time and I know that BL could be in business and have what they've been missing.

All I'm going to say is good luck to them the rest of the way, but your going to be one disappointed person if you think that Betsy Layne could be a top 3 team. I'm not saying that they have no chance of doing so but its very unlikely. Remember that there is still East Ridge, Pikeville, Allen Central, and Belfry out there.