Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing for the love of football
We're always on here discussing players who are "good" enough to play @ the "NEXT LEVEL". I'd just like to read thru a thread that discusses the kids, who play for guess what.... THE LOVE OF THE GAME.... nothing more, nothing less, just pure old fashioned fun! Football is a fun sport and yes, can sometimes be someone's "ticket to ride"... but this time thru, let's hear about the players who are good but play because they love it! (we run into guys, who played football all their lives and have gone to college without having a "scholly" in football , graduated, and then settled into life... and all of them can always find a football memory to share with gusto... followed by... "How I wish I could go out and play one more game because it was sooo much fun!" or "Football was the Best when I was in school!"

Since there can be thousands of people mentioned, let's hear of some guys, who played the game or are playing the game for strictly the love of the game!

One kid I can think of right now... is Bear Hunter Preston of PHS! Great kid, great player, who played with all of his heart... worked hard, gave it his best, and enjoyed every minute of time on the grid iron! I love this kid and am so proud of all of his accomplishments! I'll never forget jumping up in the bed, with tears in my eyes, while watching Sports Overtime, when Hunter scored his FIRST TOUCHDOWN and it was shown on a highlight reel! Man-o-man what Good Times!
I play for the love of football. I mean, I just love to hit people and take my anger out on people! I love walking out there on a Friday night, underneath the lights, the fans cheering for you, theres nothing else like it in the world. I would not trade it for anything. Its a great feeling. Playing for your county, or your team. And it makes me sick to see how all these NFL players holding out and not going to camp because they aint getting paid enough? Thats stupid! They should love the fact that they wre capable of making it to the highest level of football. I would give anything to be where they are at. Just to be playing on one of those teams. I just love this game! Best sport ever invented!
Allen Central's Billy Randolph is one of those players. Billy isn't your "typical" student athlete- he's a "special" student athlete. He plays because he loves the game. Any one who played at AC during Billy's 4 years- would have to say he is the heart and soul of the team. Everyone could use a little of Billy's heart and soul in their life. Billy was on the kick-off team and took his job of signaling the kick very serious. During the AC vs. Paintsville game this year- Billy didn't just signal the kick, he stepped in front of the kicker and attempted an on-side kick. The Rebels recovered the kick and went on to score on that posession. I'm not sure who was smiling bigger that night- Billy or all his fans in the stands as they chanted his name. Billy loves the game of football and we will all certainly miss him.
Man there was no better feeling than putting them pads on and getting ready to take the friday night field. Yeh ya may work hard all week, with your sweat, blood, and tears, but remember friday is pay day. Like coach always said on thursday, " Boys the hay is in the barn, time for you to eat". For some seniors they can say well theres always my sholarship. But for us unfortunate ones, we had are last game of our life. But i always played for the love of the game.
Codeman Wrote:Man there was no better feeling than putting them pads on and getting ready to take the friday night field. Yeh ya may work hard all week, with your sweat, blood, and tears, but remember friday is pay day. Like coach always said on thursday, " Boys the hay is in the barn, time for you to eat". For some seniors they can say well theres always my sholarship. But for us unfortunate ones, we had are last game of our life. But i always played for the love of the game.

Very true.
At 39 years old I had the opportunity to try out for a semi-pro football team. WELL I made the team and had the opportunity to re-suit the pads, the helmet and the uniform again.
It was one of the greatest opportunities a HAS BEEN could get. I played for the love of the game, no pay, buying my own equipment, paying my own way. It was by far the best football experience I have ever had. I played inthe final 4 my senior year and nothing could compare to the RETURN.
So for the love of the game..... by far is the opportuniy to re-live a dream.
39 years old, starting nose guard on a semi-pro football team, with the next oldest player being 25.........and being older than the head coach and the owner.. Yea I can definitley say that I got to play for the love of the game.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:At 39 years old I had the opportunity to try out for a semi-pro football team. WELL I made the team and had the opportunity to re-suit the pads, the helmet and the uniform again.
It was one of the greatest opportunities a HAS BEEN could get. I played for the love of the game, no pay, buying my own equipment, paying my own way. It was by far the best football experience I have ever had. I played inthe final 4 my senior year and nothing could compare to the RETURN.
39 years old, starting nose guard on a semi-pro football team, with the next oldest player being 25.........and being older than the head coach and the owner.. Yea I can definitley say that I got to play for the love of the game.

That is some love for the game. That would be an AMAZING dream. Congrats on that.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:At 39 years old I had the opportunity to try out for a semi-pro football team. WELL I made the team and had the opportunity to re-suit the pads, the helmet and the uniform again.

That's really a touching story. Every athlete dreams of a second chance, you was one of lucky ones and one thing i want to say is im happy for you. I'm a senior this year and ever since my last game, the only thing I have thought about is FOOTBALL. The fact of the matter is, without football, i dont know where I would be. More than likely into something I shouldn't be. I've always said there is nothing like suiting up for a home game, running out and then the Nation Anthem played. I played for Betsy Layne and as everbody knows on here we definetely wouldn't the the best team by any stretch of the imagination. It was more than that for me. For me it was the friends you make, and the memories. Memories that will last a lifetime. Football in my opinion is by far the best sport anyone could play.
PittFan Wrote:That's really a touching story. Every athlete dreams of a second chance, you was one of lucky ones and one thing i want to say is im happy for you. I'm a senior this year and ever since my last game, the only thing I have thought about is FOOTBALL. The fact of the matter is, without football, i dont know where I would be. More than likely into something I shouldn't be. I've always said there is nothing like suiting up for a home game, running out and then the Nation Anthem played. I played for Betsy Layne and as everbody knows on here we definetely wouldn't the the best team by any stretch of the imagination. It was more than that for me. For me it was the friends you make, and the memories. Memories that will last a lifetime. Football in my opinion is by far the best sport anyone could play.

I'm glad to know that you loved every minute of it. So many people get on here and bash the teams who don't win year in and year out. Always squawking that the progam should fold. Your story just proves there is more to the game than winning. Winning is nice-but it isn't everything.
Well I am a PITT FAN too, and i will tell ya. Ask Bluegrasballa about playing after high school. He can tell you more about the transition. ANY ONE should be able to play at the next level at some degree. You dont have to sit and think about the last game,, find a small school or something and continue to play, get an EDUCATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOO while you are at it.
Send bluegrassballa a private message and ask him of his efforts, i am sure he can help you out. !!!!!
Lead BALLA, it is now your time to be the leader and put someone in the right direction.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "